CANADA Canada - Billionaire Couple Barry & Honey Sherman Murdered @ Home - Toronto #20

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Poor guy in the comments, asked his question a second time because it had not been responded to the first time (was it the only one not responded to?) and then got admonished because the question had already been responded to!

3 hrs ago
Hi Kevin,
Just wondering if anyone ever confirmed where the 911 call came from the day of the murders. Did they originate from either Barry or Honey's cell? or home phone? And secondly, who was out front of the house? was it a police officer (unmarked) responding to the call?

1 hr ago
Hi Kevin,
Just wondering if anyone ever confirmed where the 911 call came from the day of the murders. Did they originate from either Barry or Honey's cell? or home phone? And secondly, who was out front of the house? was it a police officer (unmarked) responding to the call?

M 1 hr ago
Dan, I answered that in another part of the chat. !

Last edited:
Does anyone know what hard drive he was referring to?

Also, interesting that JS said he would arrange for AP to talk to KD but it's never happened. I wonder about his situation. I know he comes from a family business that was very profitable but the last person in that family sold it and retired a few years ago. While I'm sure he had a very nice life growing up, I wonder if he had big money of his own or if he was relying on JS and BS.

History of his family's company

Also, interesting that JS said he would arrange for AP to talk to KD but it's never happened. I wonder about his situation. I know he comes from a family business that was very profitable but the last person in that family sold it and retired a few years ago. While I'm sure he had a very nice life growing up, I wonder if he had big money of his own or if he was relying on JS and BS.

It was a sketchy story. It’s something similar to a story a person told on a random podcast, and he has no proof. He just wanted money from the Greenspan team.

Some guy from a ‘warm country’ who recycles hard drives contacted KD. He allegedly found information about the murders on one, but he didn’t want to go to police. He talked to the Greenspan team and that didn’t result in them getting proof, so he offered to meet KD in Buffalo for $10k to show him what was on the hard drive.

KD said the guy disappeared, but if he’s the guy I’m thinking of he’s just a grifter.(imo)

Fwiw.rbbm
''An academic prodigy, Barry began pursuing an engineering degree at the University of Toronto when he was just 16. After graduating, he enrolled at MIT where he earned a Ph.D. in astrophysics and had plans to work at NASA''.

''TORONTO, Dec. 30, 2017 /CNW/ - In the midst of this most difficult time for our family, we are proud to learn that our father, Dr. Barry Sherman, is being appointed to the Order of Canada. Until now only awarded to living Canadians, the Order of Canada is one of this nation's highest honours. To receive this honour posthumously speaks volumes about our father and confirms what we have always known, he was a true humanitarian and a great Canadian. We take comfort knowing that his countless contributions to healthcare and philanthropy have been memorialized in such an enduring manner.''

Dec 2017
''Gov. Gen. Julie Payette announced 125 new appointments to Canada’s highest civilian honour Friday, a list heavy on Canadians with accomplishments in science and medicine, including Bernard “Barry” Sherman, whose generic drug company Apotex made him and his wife, Honey, among the wealthiest people in Canada.''

''In 1974, armed with a doctorate in rocket science from MIT, Sherman used his mother's life savings to buy his uncle's drug company. Starting with two employees, he expanded the company to a workforce of over 10,000 making it one of Canada's largest pharmaceutical companies, selling over 260 generic drugs in more than 115 countries. Its medicines are used to fill over 89 million prescriptions a year in Canada alone, and annual global revenues are $1.5 billion''
1681772507909.png

It was stated in one of the article as to what sizes those two Canadian Tire belts were (if they were even the belts actually used).. I believe one was 34 and one was 36... which, imho, would not be long enough to make all those loops, etc. It is obvious to me that the drawing is just to show the reader.. whatever.. but it is not accurate. I base this on KD's own article when he wrote about the belts in relation to the body positioning of each victim.

Also, forgive me for being morbid... but.... as part of human body decomposition, isn't a part of that, that the body fills up with gases? If so, might that account for a body appearing to have a portly abdomen?
Yes, it does, then gradually dissipating. That is a small size belt.

Fwiw.rbbm
''An academic prodigy, Barry began pursuing an engineering degree at the University of Toronto when he was just 16. After graduating, he enrolled at MIT where he earned a Ph.D. in astrophysics and had plans to work at NASA''.

''TORONTO, Dec. 30, 2017 /CNW/ - In the midst of this most difficult time for our family, we are proud to learn that our father, Dr. Barry Sherman, is being appointed to the Order of Canada. Until now only awarded to living Canadians, the Order of Canada is one of this nation's highest honours. To receive this honour posthumously speaks volumes about our father and confirms what we have always known, he was a true humanitarian and a great Canadian. We take comfort knowing that his countless contributions to healthcare and philanthropy have been memorialized in such an enduring manner.''

Dec 2017
''Gov. Gen. Julie Payette announced 125 new appointments to Canada’s highest civilian honour Friday, a list heavy on Canadians with accomplishments in science and medicine, including Bernard “Barry” Sherman, whose generic drug company Apotex made him and his wife, Honey, among the wealthiest people in Canada.''

''In 1974, armed with a doctorate in rocket science from MIT, Sherman used his mother's life savings to buy his uncle's drug company. Starting with two employees, he expanded the company to a workforce of over 10,000 making it one of Canada's largest pharmaceutical companies, selling over 260 generic drugs in more than 115 countries. Its medicines are used to fill over 89 million prescriptions a year in Canada alone, and annual global revenues are $1.5 billion''
View attachment 415324

In case anyone is interested, KD is on Humble and Fred's podcast this morning. They were talking about him last week as Fred finally got around to reading his book.
Just a few things: FDA has put KD in touch with a lot of people who were Barry's friends like JK. KD said he doesn't believe FDA had anything to do with the murders.

A 4 part Crave mini series about this case has just wrapped up filming and will be available later this year. KD will be narrating.

The police are waiting for information from other countries and it's a slow process.

Just a few things: FDA has put KD in touch with a lot of people who were Barry's friends like JK. KD said he doesn't believe FDA had anything to do with the murders.

A 4 part Crave mini series about this case has just wrapped up filming and will be available later this year. KD will be narrating.

The police are waiting for information from other countries and it's a slow process.
''(TORONTO) February 16, 2023 – Crave announced today its latest original docuseries, BILLIONAIRE MURDERS, a gripping, intimate look at the shocking, unsolved murders of Barry and Honey Sherman. From Entertainment One (eOne), the series is helmed by one of Canada’s leading investigative journalists, Kevin Donovan, host of the Toronto Star podcast The Billionaire Murders: The hunt for the killers of Honey and Barry Sherman and author of The Billionaire Murders: The Mysterious Deaths of Barry and Honey Sherman, as he continues his journey to uncover the truth about this headline-making crime. The four-part Crave Original series is set to debut later this year. “I’ve been reporting on this case for five years and have uncovered much about Barry and Honey’s last days, and the investigation into their murders. My hope is that this new docuseries takes audiences behind the scenes of the investigation, revealing the inside story of the hunt for the killer,” said Donovan.''

Re post, wondering if everyone feels a little safer now?
Jul 15, 2019
'Alexandra Krawczyk’s billionaire parents, Barry and Honey Sherman, were killed. After months of living in fear for her own life, she now wants to make sure their legacy of charity is maintained.''

The Paulin companies had a number of warehouses and plants in south Scarborough which is in the east part of Toronto. I drove past one of their former warehouses this morning and it's now a Green Storage! It's located on Birchmount Road and Mack Avenue.

''(TORONTO) February 16, 2023 – Crave announced today its latest original docuseries, BILLIONAIRE MURDERS, a gripping, intimate look at the shocking, unsolved murders of Barry and Honey Sherman. From Entertainment One (eOne), the series is helmed by one of Canada’s leading investigative journalists, Kevin Donovan, host of the Toronto Star podcast The Billionaire Murders: The hunt for the killers of Honey and Barry Sherman and author of The Billionaire Murders: The Mysterious Deaths of Barry and Honey Sherman, as he continues his journey to uncover the truth about this headline-making crime. The four-part Crave Original series is set to debut later this year. “I’ve been reporting on this case for five years and have uncovered much about Barry and Honey’s last days, and the investigation into their murders. My hope is that this new docuseries takes audiences behind the scenes of the investigation, revealing the inside story of the hunt for the killer,” said Donovan.''

Re post, wondering if everyone feels a little safer now?
Jul 15, 2019
'Alexandra Krawczyk’s billionaire parents, Barry and Honey Sherman, were killed. After months of living in fear for her own life, she now wants to make sure their legacy of charity is maintained.''

With Kerry Winter threatening the lives of the four Sherman children* my guess is that recently made them feel unsafe.

They apparently have great security around them, so I hope at least that is reassuring.

*Per the CBC

I read some interesting research on parricide (murder of parents). According to the research, a person who murders of one or both one's parents is most likely to be a male around 30 years of age. This usually involves a knife or a gun but when a mother is a murder victim, other methods have also been used. The motive for parricide is often related to money / inheritance. Also, research has found that the murder of a parent is significantly more likely to be done by an adopted child than a biological child. When the offender is an adopted child, the motive can be associated with money but is can also be linked to abuse, neglect and/or with attachment issues (perception of being unwanted, abandoned, etc).

The intimate and horrific context in which the Sherman murders occurred make me think that the offender was very close to the victims and could even be one of their children.

If the Shermans were victims of parricide and if their murders are in line with these admittedly limited and generalized research findings:

1. Jonathon would seem to be a prime suspect
2. Kerry Winter could be a suspect because of the close relationship he had with Barry and the fact that he considered Barry to be a "surrogate" dad. The alleged betrayal by Barry would be in line with the motives of the adopted child who murders a parent.

I wonder if where children born by surrogacy would fit into the research findings?

Of course, none of this proves anything but it's interesting nonetheless.

I read some interesting research on parricide (murder of parents). According to the research, a person who murders of one or both one's parents is most likely to be a male around 30 years of age. This usually involves a knife or a gun but when a mother is a murder victim, other methods have also been used. The motive for parricide is often related to money / inheritance. Also, research has found that the murder of a parent is significantly more likely to be done by an adopted child than a biological child. When the offender is an adopted child, the motive can be associated with money but is can also be linked to abuse, neglect and/or with attachment issues (perception of being unwanted, abandoned, etc).

The intimate and horrific context in which the Sherman murders occurred make me think that the offender was very close to the victims and could even be one of their children.

If the Shermans were victims of parricide and if their murders are in line with these admittedly limited and generalized research findings:

1. Jonathon would seem to be a prime suspect
2. Kerry Winter could be a suspect because of the close relationship he had with Barry and the fact that he considered Barry to be a "surrogate" dad. The alleged betrayal by Barry would be in line with the motives of the adopted child who murders a parent.

I wonder if where children born by surrogacy would fit into the research findings?

Of course, none of this proves anything but it's interesting nonetheless.
BS & HS treated many like family, imo. rbbm.
''It was not just the four children who benefitted from Barry’s success. Friends, and children of friends, were provided with money for education and houses. The families of both Barry’s sister and Honey’s sister were also given financial help. For example, according to documents in a lawsuit filed by the son of Honey’s sister Mary Shechtman (he is seeking information on the Shechtman family trust and a court order removing Mary and her husband Allen Shechtman as trustees and replacing them with a corporate trust company), the Shechtman trust owns 17 houses. Insiders say those were purchased with Barry’s assistance over the years.

Barry wrote to her mother in the 1970s for monies advanced when he was starting out in business. It is an IOU she has not been able to collect on. So frosty is her relationship with the Sherman children that Jonathon evicted her last fall (he said his father had given her a rent-free unit but the management company he hired insisted that Mary pay rental) from a storage unit his self-storage company owns in Ajax. Mary’s spending habits were mentioned in passing in the police search warrant-documents released following a Star court challenge. Honey’s assistant was quoted as telling police that while Honey never spent much money on her credit card “it was Mary who spent a lot of money at U.S. Saks and Barry was never to see those bills.”

''One filing in the court action Mary’s son Noah has against his mother and father provides a tiny snapshot of the widespread use of the “Bank of Barry,” or, in this case, the Bank of Honey.

In October 2017, two months before the murders, Noah was in Florida with his husband and he emailed his Aunt Honey saying he wanted to buy new clothes.''

BS & HS treated many like family, imo. rbbm.
''It was not just the four children who benefitted from Barry’s success. Friends, and children of friends, were provided with money for education and houses. The families of both Barry’s sister and Honey’s sister were also given financial help. For example, according to documents in a lawsuit filed by the son of Honey’s sister Mary Shechtman (he is seeking information on the Shechtman family trust and a court order removing Mary and her husband Allen Shechtman as trustees and replacing them with a corporate trust company), the Shechtman trust owns 17 houses. Insiders say those were purchased with Barry’s assistance over the years.

Barry wrote to her mother in the 1970s for monies advanced when he was starting out in business. It is an IOU she has not been able to collect on. So frosty is her relationship with the Sherman children that Jonathon evicted her last fall (he said his father had given her a rent-free unit but the management company he hired insisted that Mary pay rental) from a storage unit his self-storage company owns in Ajax. Mary’s spending habits were mentioned in passing in the police search warrant-documents released following a Star court challenge. Honey’s assistant was quoted as telling police that while Honey never spent much money on her credit card “it was Mary who spent a lot of money at U.S. Saks and Barry was never to see those bills.”

''One filing in the court action Mary’s son Noah has against his mother and father provides a tiny snapshot of the widespread use of the “Bank of Barry,” or, in this case, the Bank of Honey.

In October 2017, two months before the murders, Noah was in Florida with his husband and he emailed his Aunt Honey saying he wanted to buy new clothes.''

Jonathon showed up personally to evict her from that storage unit. I wonder if she left him a bad Yelp review.

New here so hope I'm following proper etiquette! Listened to the CBC podcast today and have been reading old news articles as well as this forum. One thing that I can't quite understand is why both victims' hands would have been bound while they were alive.

In this article, DK writes "It is possible, sources say, that as Barry walked out of the garage door he saw Honey (who was likely already dead) in the hall and then Barry was attacked and killed, dropping his gloves and the home inspection report. Under this theory, both Shermans were then moved to the pool room. At some point during the attacks, both were restrained at the wrists while they were alive, as a forensic investigation would later show."

I would think that if they were killed at separate times (i.e. not dealing with subduing two people at once), binding their hands wouldn't serve much purpose. Why bind their hands at all before killing them? Binding someone's hands would seem to suggest that you're trying to stop someone from getting away. In other words, why go through the trouble of binding someone's wrists just to strangulate them - especially two elderly people who probably couldn't put up much of a fight? Binding someone's writs would be much harder than just strangulating someone if that person was conscious and trying to resist/fight back I would think? Did the killer(s) try to obtain some sort of information from them before they were murdered?

New here so hope I'm following proper etiquette! Listened to the CBC podcast today and have been reading old news articles as well as this forum. One thing that I can't quite understand is why both victims' hands would have been bound while they were alive.

In this article, DK writes "It is possible, sources say, that as Barry walked out of the garage door he saw Honey (who was likely already dead) in the hall and then Barry was attacked and killed, dropping his gloves and the home inspection report. Under this theory, both Shermans were then moved to the pool room. At some point during the attacks, both were restrained at the wrists while they were alive, as a forensic investigation would later show."

I would think that if they were killed at separate times (i.e. not dealing with subduing two people at once), binding their hands wouldn't serve much purpose. Why bind their hands at all before killing them? Binding someone's hands would seem to suggest that you're trying to stop someone from getting away. In other words, why go through the trouble of binding someone's wrists just to strangulate them - especially two elderly people who probably couldn't put up much of a fight? Binding someone's writs would be much harder than just strangulating someone if that person was conscious and trying to resist/fight back I would think? Did the killer(s) try to obtain some sort of information from them before they were murdered?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper