CANADA Canada - Billionaire Couple Barry & Honey Sherman Murdered @ Home - Toronto #20

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

''Hosted by Kevin Donovan, this is episode five of the podcast series “The Billionaire Murders: The hunt for the killers of Honey and Barry Sherman.”​

''When the lead Toronto homicide detective avoids the crime scene and juniors can’t walk across the road to collect key surveillance video, that’s a sign of a poor investigation. And that was just day one after Honey and Barry Sherman were found dead. Join veteran investigative reporter Kevin Donovan as he details the mistakes that turned this case cold.

This is episode five of “The Billionaire Murders: The hunt for the killers of Honey and Barry Sherman,” a “Suspicion” podcast probing the strange case of the famous Toronto couple who were found strangled in their north Toronto home in 2017. For five years, Donovan has covered the case for the Star, fought court battles to access documents on the police investigation and the Sherman estate, and wrote a book about it.

Audio Sources: Sherman family reward press conference, Toronto Police, Law and Order NBC, CTV News, CP24''

I like you thought it was a rejection of the offer? The quote is specific to the under asking and mentions no other reason so I do think the other possible rejection reasons are why he balked.

I also now see that it did not say he rejected the offer, it states he was disappointed? that is interesting wording, Curious, would the Sherman's not have counter offered?

''Tuesday, Dec. 12, 2017
Barry Sherman was disappointed. A $6.7 million offer had just come in for their house at 50 Old Colony Rd., $200,000 under the asking price.''
Adding more to the thought, was this why BS was bringing home the inspection report? Most often it is the buyers responsibility and cost to have a home inspection completed, possibly the report was to prove the value BS wanted to sell for. Odd that BS would spend the $$ on a home inspection report if it was not in his best interest.

This again makes me think BS was not selling the home as a tear down.

I've been thinking about KW and his insistance that it was murder suicide. Kerry also says that the Sherman kids hired Greenspan in order to control the media messaging and to force the police to change their investigation to a double murder case. KW mentioned many times how the Shermans want to control the storyline. That got me thinking about Jonathon's eulogy when he spoke with disgust about the "unreliable" media. Is it possible Jonathon hired Greenspan (without the lawyer's knowledge of J's real intentions) to send the police on a wild goose chase? In the alternative, is it possible that Barry could have hired a hit man to kill himself and Honey? According to KW, Barry asked him about this before...
Is there be any financial reason why Jonathon would not want Barry's death to be a suicide? Ex. Life insurance? Would life insurance help pay the debts that Barry's company was facing?

I also wonder if it's possible that KW and JS both had a hand in things. KW wants it to be murder suicide. He owed BS a ton of money. He knows where to find a hitman by his own admission. JS needed both parents dead in order to get his portion of the money and could have paid KW with that money. Farfetched? Sure. Not as farfetched as blaming Trudeau, the Clintons etc.. MOO/speculation.

FWIW—KD believes this image was taken around 10:30pm and it was from a camera mounted on a garage.

From what I understand, the NW suspect is on the north side of Bannatyne, close to Beaverhall (where the Shermans lived prior to Old Colony) facing traffic, walking in a s-e direction towards Leslie, according to the Star.

View attachment 415840View attachment 415841

Google map images. One possible route of NW suspect.

This is a current bus schedule for the Bannatyne bus. The last two westbound buses at Beaverhall & Bannatyne are at 10:08 & 10:35 pm. So the bus likely passed the person, facing them, unless they boarded it or changed direction, imo. Bus Route 115 Silver Hills Westbound
If they boarded the bus they’d change direction and would be travelling westbound, but the bus goes in a loop and would quickly return them going s-e towards Leslie again.

View attachment 415845

No idea if a bus was involved, I’m just throwing it out there because KD places the suspect on Bannatyne at the time of the last bus of the night on that route.

* please correct me if you think I have it wrong(!!)
would a person who committed murder get on a public bus and risk being seen? (do the Toronto buses have cameras?) Just not sure some one would do that unless they could walk a distance and appear to be coming from a different location and even then...

would a person who committed murder get on a public bus and risk being seen? (do the Toronto buses have cameras?) Just not sure some one would do that unless they could walk a distance and appear to be coming from a different location and even then...

I don’t know, I was just looking at the time KD mentioned and the activity around the suspect during that period.

TTC buses have cameras, but I don’t know anything about that specific one.

ETA: I googled it and apparently murderers have used public transportation after killing someone:

Last edited:
I don’t know, I was just looking at the time KD mentioned and the activity around the suspect during that period.

TTC buses have cameras, but I don’t know anything about that specific one.

ETA: I googled it and apparently murderers have used public transportation after killing someone:

Prof. Dan Markel was murdered at home by hitmen who left the scene by car and luckily recorded on city bus cctv.
rbbm.
''Investigators were able to pull surveillance video from several city buses showing the Prius following Markel’s car down Thomasville Road and turning left onto Betton Road at about 10:51 a.m. A camera on another city bus captured the Prius heading northbound on Thomasville Road just minutes later at 10:55 a.m.

Isom testified that put the time of Markel’s murder was somewhere between 10:51 a.m and 10:55 a.m that day. A 911 call came in from Markel’s neighbor at 11:02 a.m.

One of the bus videos gave investigators additional clues about the Prius — which had a black side mirror and a SunPass. Investigators were able to start tracking the SunPass and the Prius through toll booths across the state.

Isom was eventually able to track the Prius to a rental car agency in Miami
and a rental agreement there showed it had been rented to Luis Rivera and included a phone number and address. They tracked one of the phone numbers on that rental agreement to Sigfredo Garcia.''

The NW walked more than a kilometer, I believe it was closer to 3km from old colony that would put a great distance from the murder scene, and IMO allow the perp time to calm down and board a bus on a very cold winter night with his face covered and not look out of the ordinary, wind chills that night were -21 Celsius (around -6F, very cold).

Wrong turns

This is KD's latest, episode 5, available to subscribers so I'm not sure when it will be on Spotify, etc. Something new to me: The door lock on the front door was tampered with, likely with a screwdriver. Greenspan's team is the one that discovered it.

And KD thinks the Thursday morning visitor was likely an officer in an unmarked car.

Wouldn’t they call the real estate number listed on the for sale sign on the front lawn and more people would have been alerted?

And KD thinks the Thursday morning visitor was likely an officer in an unmarked car.

Wouldn’t they call the real estate number listed on the for sale sign on the front lawn and more people would have been alerted?
I wonder how many other doors the cop knocked on in the area. And when he knocked, assuming it was on the front door, I guess he didn't turn the doorknob because he would have seen that it was broken. I agree, he should have called the realtor.

I am glad KD has said he will continue to fight to get things unsealed. If this never goes to court,a lot of this shoddy work would be hidden if not for him. If it does, it will all come out.

I also found it interesting that a police car was by one of the houses that backed on to the Sherman home. It makes sense that the killer could have come into their house through another yard.

''As host of “The Billionaire Murders: The hunt for the killers of Honey and Barry Sherman,” podcast series, investigative reporter Kevin Donovan has shared inside details of his probe into the strange case of the wealthy Toronto couple who were found strangled in their north Toronto home in 2017.

Donovan joined readers earlier this month for a live chat about the case, and returns Monday, April 24 at 1 p.m. to take your questions about the latest episode of the podcast.
Here’s what you should know:
  • The Q&A will take place on this page in the Conversations section, which you’ll find at the end of this story. It’s written, not audio
  • You must be registered to submit a question. Registration is free — choose Register, below, or Sign In at the top right corner of this page
  • You can submit a question ahead of time, or during the live Q&A (or both
  • Like all Conversations on the Star, all questions and comments are subject to moderation; most of you will see a badge next to your comment that reads “Awaiting Approval”, which will disappear if your question is answered''
''Q:
Kevin Donovan answers your questions about the latest episode of his podcast The Billionaire Murders: the hunt for the killers of Honey and Barry Sherman on April 24 at 1 p.m. Post your question below''

The NW walked more than a kilometer, I believe it was closer to 3km from old colony that would put a great distance from the murder scene, and IMO allow the perp time to calm down and board a bus on a very cold winter night with his face covered and not look out of the ordinary, wind chills that night were -21 Celsius (around -6F, very cold).
He must have been clean then, nothing of H's blood on him. Otherwise Idk, if he would have taken a bus.

Wrong turns

This is KD's latest, episode 5, available to subscribers so I'm not sure when it will be on Spotify, etc. Something new to me: The door lock on the front door was tampered with, likely with a screwdriver. Greenspan's team is the one that discovered it.
And….the TPS missed it?!?! Give me a break.

I'm not sure what to make of your comment. Do you think they missed it or that it didn't happen? Would something like this make you change your mind about murder/suicide?
I suspect he means TPS didn’t miss it because it wasn’t there. Greenspan made it up to bolster his M/s case. No need for the killer (BS) to tamper with his own front door! At least that’s what I assume KW means

I suspect he means TPS didn’t miss it because it wasn’t there. Greenspan made it up to bolster his M/s case. No need for the killer (BS) to tamper with his own front door! At least that’s what I assume KW means
I was hoping to hear it directly from KW. He seems to make posts to bolster his beliefs and then disappears.

He must have been clean then, nothing of H's blood on him. Otherwise Idk, if he would have taken a bus.
I wonder if she was bloodied up from being dragged down the stairs. If that's the case, he may not have got any blood on his clothes or body. Also, if he only had some blood on dark clothing, it wouldn't show up like it would have if his clothes were lighter in colour.

Just for info, in case anyone isn't aware of the 'media only' thread re the Sherman case, I posted a listing of KD's Suspicion podcasts over there.

Something that I have been thinking more about lately is the staging of the bodies. Specifically the thought they were posed to imitate the statues. Lets suppose for a moment that is true (not saying I agree, but stay with me). If you have just murdered 2 people, I would think your priority is to get away before something happens and you are discovered. The longer you are in the home with 2 dead bodies, the higher the chance you will be discovered. But they took the time to drag the bodies to the pool, hang them, and...maybe...stage them to mimic the statues. What I cannot figure out, is why anyone...literally anyone...would do this? It only increases the risk of being caught and potentially adds evidence to the crime scene as they are spending more time touching and manipulating the bodies. Are there any thoughts as to why someone would do this?

I wonder how many other doors the cop knocked on in the area. And when he knocked, assuming it was on the front door, I guess he didn't turn the doorknob because he would have seen that it was broken. I agree, he should have called the realtor.

I am glad KD has said he will continue to fight to get things unsealed. If this never goes to court,a lot of this shoddy work would be hidden if not for him. If it does, it will all come out.

I also found it interesting that a police car was by one of the houses that backed on to the Sherman home. It makes sense that the killer could have come into their house through another yard.
Maybe I missed something. Do you have a link that the doorknob or lock was broken? Tia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member