Canada - Canadian hockey team fatal bus accident tragedy, 6 April 2018

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Six degrees of separation is the idea that all living things and everything else in the world are six or fewer steps away from each other so that a chain of "a friend of a friend" statements can be made to connect any two people in a maximum of six steps.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Six_degrees_of_separation

We live in Saskatchewan, is it even 6 degrees? ;)

I am not religious, but it was a nice service, and it seems like it may be a good start to the long road of healing for the community. The tears, the disbelief on the faces in the crowd, was hard to watch. It's good to see the hockey community coming out to show their support. Don Cherry, Ron McLean, coaches from Edmonton Oilers, Calgary Flames, Sheldon Kennedy and others that survived the Swift Current bus crash from 1986. Politicians... okay, I did have a giggle when I saw that they put the Prime Minister in the back lol But much respect for him to come and show support without wanting to be in the spotlight.

We just about moved to Humboldt many years ago.... IIRC it's a pretty religious community. And I did hear or read earlier that a lot of the players were involved in the local churches, so I think it was fitting under the circumstances.

We live in Saskatchewan, is it even 6 degrees? ;)

I am not religious, but it was a nice service, and it seems like it may be a good start to the long road of healing for the community. The tears, the disbelief on the faces in the crowd, was hard to watch. It's good to see the hockey community coming out to show their support. Don Cherry, Ron McLean, coaches from Edmonton Oilers, Calgary Flames, Sheldon Kennedy and others that survived the Swift Current bus crash from 1986. Politicians... okay, I did have a giggle when I saw that they put the Prime Minister in the back lol But much respect for him to come and show support without wanting to be in the spotlight.

We just about moved to Humboldt many years ago.... IIRC it's a pretty religious community. And I did hear or read earlier that a lot of the players were involved in the local churches, so I think it was fitting under the circumstances.

Thank you missy. You bring some very relevant local context. I can't imagine what the community is going through! You definitely have a better pulse on the community than I do. And clearly the religious context was relevant to most, so it definitely made sense to have that dominate in the vigil.

I'm just glad that I wasn't pilloried after my post that asked about non-Christians. I hesitated before posting it, because I know that sometimes it's not 'acceptable' to post something that doesn't support the Christian (or other religious) faith. So thank you to all for not slamming me. But, I do worry about those "victims" that aren't religious. They would need a different message. I always worry about those people cast off to the side. That's why I bring this up.

So many lives lost from a town. It is a tragedy for Humboldt and Canada. :(

Thank you missy. You bring some very relevant local context. I can't imagine what the community is going through! You definitely have a better pulse on the community than I do. And clearly the religious context was relevant to most, so it definitely made sense to have that dominate in the vigil.

I'm just glad that I wasn't pilloried after my post that asked about non-Christians. I hesitated before posting it, because I know that sometimes it's not 'acceptable' to post something that doesn't support the Christian (or other religious) faith. So thank you to all for not slamming me. But, I do worry about those "victims" that aren't religious. They would need a different message. I always worry about those people cast off to the side. That's why I bring this up.

My daughter commented during the service with the same thoughts you posted, but I think the main purpose of that service was to give a way for everyone to be together, to show their support, to start the healing process, and I think that it accomplished that.

I am a few hours away from Humboldt. But I have lived all over Saskatchewan. I grew up in a city that has a team in the SJHL, and as a little kid, I was a "rink rat". Every weekend, and many days during the week were spent at the rink, working the concession, watching my brothers play or practice, my dad played the organ for the SJHL home games in North Battleford for years ( I have very fond memories of sitting in the organ room with him), my parents billeted SJHL players when I was young. Hockey is a huge part of my family, I have a young cousin who has been lucky enough to make it through the minor leagues and is now living his dream and playing in the NHL. Those young men that died in that crash, were at the beginning of their journey and were trying to live their dream too, or were already living their dream. It is just heartbreaking and the realization that it could be my family member, my kids' friends, it's been a rough few days around here.

That being said... things like this bring out the best in every one. A local shop where I live put all their green shirts on 50% off and have been putting the logo "BRONCOS" on the back for free today, I believe they are still working now with all the orders they received (it's 10pm here). Where my son works, they have been told they can wear green tomorrow, work shirts are not required. Saskatchewan does not have a huge population, but it really does feel like one collective hug right now.

I would also like to say thanks to those of you that have been posting from around the world with your support, I did come and read here yesterday, but didn't post until today. I am surprised at how much it has been covered around the world, and the response that has followed. The go fund me is now at 4.58M, which is amazing! When we donated yesterday morning, it was around 800K.

Who was the elderly gentleman that’s name was mentioned and he was in the crowds?? Seemed like such a gentle soul. Curious to who he was?
(Near the beginning, mayor or president mentioned him)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I live 10 minutes away from where this happened and drive on 35 regularly, I knew one of the victims, Logan H. And I just attended a vigil that was hosted at city hall.

This is is truly one of the most tragic things I’ve ever heard about. It has rocked the nation and everyone is effected by this in some way, shape or form. I remember sitting at the coffee shop and watching them break the news, every one in the cafe stopped and was silent. Tears followed. Words can not describe how devastating this accident is to the whole community.

As always, Prayers for Humboldt.

I live 10 minutes away from where this happened and drive on 35 regularly, I knew one of the victims, Logan H. And I just attended a vigil that was hosted at city hall.

This is is truly one of the most tragic things I’ve ever heard about. It has rocked the nation and everyone is effected by this in some way, shape or form. I remember sitting at the coffee shop and watching them break the news, every one in the cafe stopped and was silent. Tears followed. Words can not describe how devastating this accident is to the whole community.

aww I'm so sorry :( I can't even imagine.

:hug:

is that corner as bad as it looks on google?

I some of the people here where I live are terribly saddend by this wreck. We have the Rapid City Rush which is in the central hockey league and we have a youth traveling team. Our communities hearts go out to Humboldt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Canada bus crash: father finds son standing amid 'devastating sight'

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/apr/08/canada-hockey-team-bus-crash

[FONT=&amp]When Myles Shumlanski picked up his phone late on Friday afternoon, his son’s voice – frantic and hysterical – rang through the line. “The bus was in an accident,” Nick Shumlanski screamed.

[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]The younger Shumlanski, who is 20, had been on the Humboldt Broncos team bus as the junior hockey team headed to a high-stakes playoff game against the Nipawin Hawks in the Canadian province of Saskatchewan.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Myles Shumlanski rushed to the scene of the crash, where one of the [/FONT]worst disasters[FONT=&amp] ever to strike Canada’s sporting community was unfolding. He found his son standing, miraculously. Nearby lay the bus, unrecognisable after much of its roof was torn off. A semi-trailer lay overturned in the snow-covered fields that lined the highway.[/FONT]

bbm

I am so very sorry. :tears:
:grouphug:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member