Canada - Canadian hockey team fatal bus accident tragedy, 6 April 2018

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
AAvEYX1.img

Based on how intact the front end of the semi truck is, and based on its driver surviving without injuries, I think that the truck must have been going through the intersection when the bus slammed head on into its trailer (load). If the truck t-boned the bus, as stated in earlier articles, its front end would be torn up. Accident reconstructionists should be able to determine how fast each vehicle was going at the time of impact, which should shed some light on how this accident occured. Unless the trucker blew the stop sign, I don't think he can be blamed, even though the bus had the right of way. He may not have seen the bus coming (trees obstructing view, glare of sun, white bus against white snow etc...) or misjudged the distance. Human error, hence an accident. The bus may have even been speeding.

The truck did not t-bone the bus....

Rather the bus t-boned the truck because the truck appeared right in front of the bus, as the truck crossed hwy #35.

ETA: That's my guess....based at what i've gleaned

The truck would have either been going straight on hwy #335 or turning south / left onto hwy #35.

I read somewhere that the truck was turning south / left onto highway 35, will try and find a link.

The bus was going northbound, straight on highway 35.

The truck did not t-bone the bus....

Rather the bus t-boned the truck because the truck appeared right in front of the bus, as the truck crossed hwy #35.

ETA: That's my guess....based at what i've gleaned

The truck would have either been going straight on hwy #335 or turning south / left onto hwy #35.

This would explain why the truck driver was unhurt and the front of the truck escaped damage.

A dozen survivors of a bus crash that killed 15 people on Friday are still in a Saskatoon hospital and four remain in critical condition.

The Saskatchewan Health Authority says four others are in serious condition and four patients are stable.

The Humboldt Broncos were on their way to a playoff game Friday in Nipawin when the bus carrying the junior hockey team collided with a semi truck in northeastern Saskatchewan.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4133425/survivors-humboldt-broncos-crash-critical-condition/

Michelle and Tom Straschnitzki are filled with immense gratitude that their son Ryan survived Friday night's horrific bus crash in Saskatchewan, and at the same time "absolutely beside ourselves" about the deaths of his Humboldt Broncos teammates, coaches and others associated with the team.

Fifteen people were killed and 14 others injured when the bus and a transport truck collided at the intersection of Highway 35 and Highway 335.

"It's absolutely devastating. Hearts are just absolutely gutted," Michelle Straschnitzki said in an interview with The National's Susan Ormiston.

Straschnitzki is also focused on helping Ryan, 18, stay positive after suffering a devastating back injury.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/thenational/humboldt-bus-crash-survivor-ryan-straschnitzki-mom-1.4611589

FYI Newstalk 1010 in Toronto is reporting (via CBC) that the transport truck was actually travelling AHEAD of the bus, vs heading west as has been reported. This raises the possibility that the bus hit the truck from behind, perhaps as the truck was turning left (west)?. I certainly hope investigators are able to determine what caused this terrible accident. Link to the report is below

http://www.iheartradio.ca/newstalk-1010/news/look-humboldt-bus-crash-scene-examined-1.3742139

This can really change things, if correct. There was a diagram with the article:

attachment.php

Reports suggest it was clear and cold in this part of the Prairies when the bus was approaching an intersection around 5 o' clock.
The bus was headed north.
The truck was headed west on 335. The bus had the right of way. The truck had to stop at a stop sign with a flashing light.
We don't know who hit who, but after the impact both vehicles finally came to a stop on the northwest corner of the intersection.
The crash may have been a shock to both drivers because of a lot of trees on the intersection's southeast corner. Those trees would have likely blocked bus driver's view to the right...and the trucker's view to the left. Some drivers in the area say you might as well close your eyes going

http://www.iheartradio.ca/newstalk-1010/news/look-humboldt-bus-crash-scene-examined-1.3742139

Attachments

• E0FDF4E4-BE08-41C9-9A52-FBD71B89AC13.jpeg
    E0FDF4E4-BE08-41C9-9A52-FBD71B89AC13.jpeg
    92.3 KB · Views: 154
AAvEYX1.img

Based on how intact the front end of the semi truck is, and based on its driver surviving without injuries, I think that the truck must have been going through the intersection when the bus slammed head on into its trailer (load). If the truck t-boned the bus, as stated in earlier articles, its front end would be torn up. Accident reconstructionists should be able to determine how fast each vehicle was going at the time of impact, which should shed some light on how this accident occured. Unless the trucker blew the stop sign, I don't think he can be blamed, even though the bus had the right of way. He may not have seen the bus coming (trees obstructing view, glare of sun, white bus against white snow etc...) or misjudged the distance. Human error, hence an accident. The bus may have even been speeding.

In view of the direction the bus ended up facing (almost pointed where’s it had come from) I feel that the truck had to be moving at a very considerable speed when the impact occurred, and the force of the impact spun the bus around in the direction of the trucks momentum. The most telling thing I see in the pictures is that the “landing gear” of the truck on the drivers side is missing (these are steel supports or posts extending down fron the underside of the trailer chassis.) To me this could indicate that the landing gear was knocked off upon impact by the bus. Everything about this story is just so tragic.

From the link: In Friday's crash we've heard suggestions the truck may have t-boned the bus, but the father of a surviving player claimed to CBC the transport truck was ahead of the team charter before the impact.

bbm

IMHO, the father is incorrect. I believe the truck was traveling west, ran the stop sign and was already in the intersection when the bus hit it.

Thanks, I had assumed that is the correct version also, but we will have to wait and see what the crash investigators conclude.

I think what the father meant was that the truck was “in front of the bus” when they impacted. In other words, the truck was partially through the intersection ... but not traveling the same direction as the bus.

Humboldt bus crash prompts calls for highway safety: ‘I can’t believe it happened again’
April 9, 2018

Snipped...
...Poggemiller said the intersection does not have rumble strips, which are located at other major highway junctions in Saskatchewan. Rumble strips are shallow grooves in the shoulder of the highway, which alert distracted or drowsy drivers that the edge of the paved roadway surface is near.

“Rumble strips would definitely help,” Poggemiller said, who is meeting with other local officials Monday to discuss the changes.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4132051/humboldt-bus-crash-highway-intersection-safety/

The families of two young hockey players caught in Friday's tragic bus crash near Tisdale, Sask., say they are "grieving together" after a coroner mistakenly said one of the teens was alive and that the other was dead.

Xavier Labelle, in fact, survived the crash. Parker Tobin is one of the 15 who died, but was previously said to have survived. Both were riding with their Humboldt Broncos teammates when their bus collided with a semi-trailer.

The families "hope the focus will remain on those grieving and those recovering, not the confusion in an unimaginable tragedy," according to a joint statement provided to CBC News.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatchewan/humboldt-crash-tisdale-families-coroner-1.4611045

The families of two young hockey players caught in Friday's tragic bus crash near Tisdale, Sask., say they are "grieving together" after a coroner mistakenly said one of the teens was alive and that the other was dead.

Xavier Labelle, in fact, survived the crash. Parker Tobin is one of the 15 who died, but was previously said to have survived. Both were riding with their Humboldt Broncos teammates when their bus collided with a semi-trailer.

The families "hope the focus will remain on those grieving and those recovering, not the confusion in an unimaginable tragedy," according to a joint statement provided to CBC News.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatchewan/humboldt-crash-tisdale-families-coroner-1.4611045

Such respect!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Attachments

• 8A22C203-56DC-4043-ABD7-4E1FF7BB0A9A.jpeg
    8A22C203-56DC-4043-ABD7-4E1FF7BB0A9A.jpeg
    92.3 KB · Views: 179
Player was an organ donor, receiving thanks from kidney transplant recipient

http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-news/relative-of-kidney-recipient-praises-humboldt-broncos-player-logan-boulet-a-hero

attachment.php

Since the weekend, there’s been a “significant increase” in the number of people who have registered to become organ or tissue donors in the province, according to a spokesperson for Alberta Health Minister Sarah Hoffman.
Close to 900 people registered on Sunday and Monday, compared to an average of 425 registrations that typically occur on a typical Sunday/Monday registration period.

Attachments

• A3988BC9-4457-49AE-83F4-9D5092A5E1B7.png
    A3988BC9-4457-49AE-83F4-9D5092A5E1B7.png
    323.5 KB · Views: 180
Good description. I am adding the diagram from the previous page for easy comparison:

attachment.php

I would not feel comfortable or safe driving this junction. Something needs to be done to prevent a tragedy like this ever happening again. Many of the trees need to be felled for a start.

2 interesecting 100km/hr highways. And one stop sign with a flashing light above it. Doesn’t sound like a mistake we should need a tragedy to address...

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/this-...local-councillor-says-of-crash-site-1.3877397

It seems totally inadequate in my opinion. It makes me grateful to have traffic lights here in the U.K. You would never get a junction like this here. I don’t mean to criticise Canada in any way I love the country and the people. I’m just angry 15 young men are dead and others left with life changing injuries.

Player was an organ donor, receiving thanks from kidney transplant recipient

http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-news/relative-of-kidney-recipient-praises-humboldt-broncos-player-logan-boulet-a-hero

attachment.php

Since the weekend, there’s been a “significant increase” in the number of people who have registered to become organ or tissue donors in the province, according to a spokesperson for Alberta Health Minister Sarah Hoffman.
Close to 900 people registered on Sunday and Monday, compared to an average of 425 registrations that typically occur on a typical Sunday/Monday registration period.

This is wonderful. I am very grateful to the players who donated their organs and their families.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay
Back