Canada - Canadian hockey team fatal bus accident tragedy, 6 April 2018

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I can't imagine how bad the injuries were for them to mistake the identity of the injured victim :( So traumatic for everyone

Everyone involved in this unimaginable tragedy is being so amazing.

It is tough becoming disabled so young especially when you were so active. I wish Ryan the very best and hope he receives the best rehabilitation and counselling available. I hope some of the money raised helps him with housing adaptions and new transport etc.

it's very early days. Was his spinal cord completely severed? I haven't read. If not, then there is a chance he could walk again. Rehab is pretty amazing these days.

“As the condolences continue to pour in for the Humboldt Broncos players and staff killed in Friday’s crash near Tisdale, Sask., messages of support continue to come in to those on the bus who are now in hospital, including the team’s trainer, Dayna Brons.

At a vigil held in Humboldt on Sunday night, Broncos president Kevin Garinger mentioned Brons is among other team members he asked for people to keep “in our thoughts and prayers.”

One thing that I recognized in that situation… is that it’s the Humboldt Broncos, they play in the Saskatchewan Junior (Hockey) League, it’s a men’s or a male league,” he said. “(But) there was a female on that bus, a female trainer.

“You know, everybody asks me, ‘How are the boys doing? How are the guys doing? Are they good? Do they need anything?’ She was a big part of that team too and she’s in the hospital and as…[people] use [just] the male term, they leave her out.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4134011/humboldt-broncos-crash-dayna-brons/

I can't imagine how bad the injuries were for them to mistake the identity of the injured victim :( So traumatic for everyone

Everyone involved in this unimaginable tragedy is being so amazing.

it's very early days. Was his spinal cord completely severed? I haven't read. If not, then there is a chance he could walk again. Rehab is pretty amazing these days.

I’ve read Ryan broke his back and had to have a long surgery I haven’t seen any more details. It is great he can still move his arms and shoulders. My spinal problems aren’t as severe as Ryan’s but I know how difficult it can be. Rehabilitation can be tough but if he has a positive mental attitude (which he has) and the love of his parents he can make the best of a difficult situation.

I’ve read Ryan broke his back and had to have a long surgery I haven’t seen any more details. It is great he can still move his arms and shoulders. My spinal problems aren’t as severe as Ryan’s but I know how difficult it can be. Rehabilitation can be tough but if he has a positive mental attitude (which he has) and the love of his parents he can make the best of a difficult situation.

Everyone seems to have such a positive attitude. They are such a credit to Canadian hockey!

“I just remember sitting there on my phone and all of a sudden our bus driver screamed ‘woah!’ and a semi-truck pulled up in front of us,” he told KiSS 92.5’s Roz and Mocha from his hospital bed in Saskatoon.

http://toronto.citynews.ca/2018/04/09/humboldt-crash-survivor-what-happened/

I have been at work all day today and I am just catching up. I still think the truck was going across the highway and it had pulled out in front of the bus, possibly didn't stop at the stop sign and just blew right through it, basically coming out of nowhere. I also wouldn't be surprised to find out the bus driver tried to swerve out of the way. If the truck was turning, it would have happened slower (if that makes sense), and I think the bus driver would have seen the truck. Either way, that intersection needs to be changed, something, somehow, it just has to be safer so no one else loses a life there :( On Friday night, my FIL was here and when I told him the intersection (he is from that area but hasn't been back in years), he knew the intersection immediately, which tells me that it probably should have been improved years ago and it shouldn't have taken this tragedy.

Today has been an odd day where I live in Saskatchewan. I am seeing lots of green shirts, local shop sold out of all their green shirts, so my hubby got us 4 yellow ones, and the shop put the BRONCO name on the backs for free (such an awesome gesture on their part!) Another local print shop, printed 10,000 car decals and have donated them, they will be sold for $5 a piece and the money will be donated to the Bronco hockey team, SJHL fund, and Stars Air Ambulance (who air lifted 3 on Friday night). No one can really talk about it, well, not without tears. We are all trying to do our part, and I guess doing things that maybe make ourselves feel better and hope that in the long run, all those affected will feel the love.

Everyone seems to have such a positive attitude. They are such a credit to Canadian hockey!

Absolutely! Hockey Canada is a great organization and has produced some of the greatest hockey players, on and off the ice. Sheldon Kennedy is a prime example, and if you go and look at his history, he survived much more than just a bus crash in 1986.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheldon_Kennedy

I am not sure where this originated from, but Sheldon Kennedy retweeted it earlier...

tweet.JPG

I don't think we have seen the last of Ryan :)

Nick Shumlanski had just spotted his home out the window as the bus carrying him and his Humboldt Broncos teammates headed north on Saskatchewan’s Highway 35 for a playoff hockey game.

“All of a sudden we just slammed on the brakes and that's pretty much the last thing I remember is just seeing a couple of guys stand up to see what was going on,” the 20-year-old forward told CTV News on Monday. “And then I'm not sure what happened after that.”

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/humbo...878374#_gus&_gucid=&_gup=twitter&_gsc=ocgsOuM

Nick Shumlanski had just spotted his home out the window as the bus carrying him and his Humboldt Broncos teammates headed north on Saskatchewan’s Highway 35 for a playoff hockey game.

“All of a sudden we just slammed on the brakes and that's pretty much the last thing I remember is just seeing a couple of guys stand up to see what was going on,” the 20-year-old forward told CTV News on Monday. “And then I'm not sure what happened after that.”

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/humbo...878374#_gus&_gucid=&_gup=twitter&_gsc=ocgsOuM

Wow, that's horrible. These stories are so heartbreaking to read.

I am not sure where this originated from, but Sheldon Kennedy retweeted it earlier...

attachment.php

I don't think we have seen the last of Ryan :)

That just reduced me to puddles.

Absolutely! Hockey Canada is a great organization and has produced some of the greatest hockey players, on and off the ice. Sheldon Kennedy is a prime example, and if you go and look at his history, he survived much more than just a bus crash in 1986.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheldon_Kennedy

God bless Sheldon Kennedy, how much anguish and hurt can one individual endure in the course of one lifetime? Yet he has been a constant supporter of those in need of help throughout the years. He has my highest admiration and praise.

[bbm]

You're saying there are no intersections without traffic lights in Scotland? I find that hard to believe. I haven't been to Scotland but I've been to England, Cornwall, Wales and those kinds of intersections are all over the place as well as incredibly narrow lanes and steep hills.

I would not feel comfortable or safe driving this junction. Something needs to be done to prevent a tragedy like this ever happening again. Many of the trees need to be felled for a start.

It seems totally inadequate in my opinion. It makes me grateful to have traffic lights here in the U.K. You would never get a junction like this here. I don’t mean to criticise Canada in any way I love the country and the people. I’m just angry 15 young men are dead and others left with life changing injuries.

This is wonderful. I am very grateful to the players who donated their organs and their families.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay
Back