Canada - Canadian hockey team fatal bus accident tragedy, 6 April 2018

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Scott Thomas says he knew when he saw the wreckage of the bus carrying the Humboldt Broncos that his 18-year-old son Evan had died.

Thomas played hockey as a teen for the Moose Jaw Warriors and knows the pecking order on a hockey bus: rookies in the front, vets in the back.

Evan, who was a right winger, had only started playing for the Broncos this season.

"When we pulled up and saw the front of the bus was gone, my head knew, right there," he said in an interview.”

Continued

The coroner met with the families on Saturday at the local funeral home, briefing them on what was known at that time.

"The coroner said 'Be prepared, some of your sons aren't going to look like what they used to look like,'" Thomas said.

He said they identified Evan by a small birthmark on his right cheek.

"I kissed him, kept telling him I loved him. That's probably all I said to him."

Evan excelled at science in school and was considering a future as an orthopedic surgeon.

"He was my best friend. I'm never going to be able to sit beside him on a golf cart and share a beer and have a laugh," he said.

"It's unfair to us; unfair to the hockey world; unfair to parents everywhere. It's just unfair."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatoon/humboldt-crash-evan-thomas-1.4613863

That is so heartbreaking to read :( My son knows some kids that knew Evan.

Humboldt Broncos trainer dies days after crash
Death toll from crash rises to 16

By NICOLE CHAVEZ AND JANET DIGIACOMO, CNN

(CNN) - Fueled by her love for sports, Dayna Brons was focused on making the Humboldt Broncos shine on the ice. They dreamed of winning their league's championship and she helped them get ready.

Brons, the athletic therapist of the Humboldt Broncos, was the only woman aboard the junior hockey team's bus when it collided with a tractor-trailer last week in Canada's Saskatchewan province. On Wednesday, she died from her injuries, according to the Saskatchewan Health Authority.

Brons is the 16th person to die as a result of the crash. Ten players and five others, including two coaches were killed in last week's collision....

https://www.clickondetroit.com/news/international/humboldt-broncos-trainer-dies-days-after-crash

My boys this morning. My teenage daughter also wore one but escaped before I could snap a pic. :grouphug:

hmb.jpg

To be honest I don’t think his company is going to survive the lawsuits that will be coming.

Perhaps, but I am not sure what happens if the truck was found to be sound and the driver training, log books, etc. met requirements (in Alberta I believe). Seems to me that potential lawsuits will focus on the insurer (not sure if they have no fault insurance in Alta), and the driver, but maybe a legal expert here on WS can weigh in. In any event, I am pretty sure the assets that the company has are pretty minimal- they only had 2 cabs, probably leased/financed. I am not sticking up in any way for the company owner, but from what we know he wasn't really involved, unless we find an issue with training, equipment, etc. He has already said he can go work for another trucking firm in order to support himself.

On a related note, does anyone with some knowledge of the law think that the victims have a potential cause of action against the Province of Saskatchewan for what could possibly be argued is inadequate safety and traffic measures existing at that intersection?

Injury insurance coverage in SK:

"You have 2 types of auto injury insurance to choose from:

-No Fault Coverage
-Tort Coverage

All Saskatchewan residents are automatically covered with No Fault injury coverage unless you have chosen Tort injury coverage and file a declaration form.

Responsible for collision
When you're responsible for a collision your basic plate insurance will cover your medical expenses resulting from injuries in the collision.

Note: When you're responsible for a collision, your safe driving record is affected, which may result in a financial penalty. See information on our Safe Driver Recognition program for full details. You may also be fined by law enforcement for traffic violations.

Not responsible for collision
If you're not responsible for a collision, your medical expenses will be covered.

Since No Fault Coverage is provided regardless of responsibility for the collision, there are limited circumstances where you have the right to sue."

https://www.sgi.sk.ca/basic-auto-injury-insurance

"...drivers who are responsible for motor vehicle collisions may be assessed a financial penalty through the Safe Driver Recognition program. In addition, drivers who are responsible for a collision must pay the deductible for damage to their vehicle and their insurance must pay the damages to the other vehicle." page 2
https://www.sgi.sk.ca/documents/625510/626987/guide_nofault.pdf/58fc8fc0-1e37-4be5-948a-1868c8a5d153

Injury insurance coverage in SK:

"You have 2 types of auto injury insurance to choose from:

-No Fault Coverage
-Tort Coverage

All Saskatchewan residents are automatically covered with No Fault injury coverage unless you have chosen Tort injury coverage and file a declaration form.

Responsible for collision
When you're responsible for a collision your basic plate insurance will cover your medical expenses resulting from injuries in the collision.

Note: When you're responsible for a collision, your safe driving record is affected, which may result in a financial penalty. See information on our Safe Driver Recognition program for full details. You may also be fined by law enforcement for traffic violations.

Not responsible for collision
If you're not responsible for a collision, your medical expenses will be covered.

Since No Fault Coverage is provided regardless of responsibility for the collision, there are limited circumstances where you have the right to sue."

https://www.sgi.sk.ca/basic-auto-injury-insurance

"...drivers who are responsible for motor vehicle collisions may be assessed a financial penalty through the Safe Driver Recognition program. In addition, drivers who are responsible for a collision must pay the deductible for damage to their vehicle and their insurance must pay the damages to the other vehicle." page 2
https://www.sgi.sk.ca/documents/625510/626987/guide_nofault.pdf/58fc8fc0-1e37-4be5-948a-1868c8a5d153

Thanks. I wonder if the driver would be insured in Sask, or Alta?

“People in a small Newfoundland community with a close connection to a victim of Humboldt’s deadly bus crash donned hockey jerseys Thursday to show their support for the lost and the grieving.

Grade 12 student Mason Oates showed up at Ascension Collegiate in Bay Roberts wearing his Astros’ blue and yellow jersey for the school hockey team, a group of friends he views as a second family.

It is the same team that Ed Tobin, the father of Humboldt Broncos victim Parker Tobin, played for in the late 1970s and took to the provincial championship when he was growing up in the eastern Newfoundland town.

“Over the years I’ve travelled a lot with my high school team,” Oates, a triple A player, said before the start of classes. “I can’t imagine the pain that the families are going through. If I were to get on a bus, and to lose all your teammates and family like that it would be tragic.”

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada...our-humboldt-broncos-we-are-all-one-team.html

Sask. - A broadcaster in his first year as a play-by-play announcer for the Humboldt Broncos will be the first of 16 victims of last Friday's bus crash to be laid to rest.

The funeral for Tyler Bieber will be held today at the Elgar Petersen Arena where the Broncos played their home games.

Bieber worked for radio station CHBO and was with the Saskatchewan Junior Hockey League team as it headed to playoff game in Nipawin when bus collided with a semi-trailer at a rural intersection north of Tisdale.

Continued

Two other funerals are scheduled for Friday.
Jacob Leicht, a left-winger, will have his service in Humboldt.

Adam Herold, who would have turned 17 today, will have his funeral in his hometown of Montmartre.

Players on the Broncos were from communities across Saskatchewan, Alberta and Manitoba.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/first-funeral-of-broncos-crash-victims-set-for-today-1.3881702

Ryan Straschnitzki, a Humboldt Broncos player who was paralyzed from the chest down in Friday's collision, is pushing through the pain and trying to keep positive.

His neck, back and left clavicle are broken. He can't move any part of his body below his chest and he's not expected to walk again. But he's alive.

"It was pretty devastating seeing my teammates lying there, bloodied and whatnot. My first instinct was to get up and help them, but I couldn't move my legs," Straschnitzki recalled.

Continued

The last thing Straschnitzki heard was the voice of Glen Doerksen, the driver of the bus who died in the collision.

"All of a sudden the bus driver screamed 'whoa,' and I saw the semi-truck in front of us and blacked out," Straschnitzki said.

When he came to, Straschnitzki was facing the site of the collision. He doesn't know how long he lay on the ground.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatchewan/ryan-straschnitzki-recalls-broncos-bus-crash-1.4616044

We are all behind you Ryan.

Trucking industry regulations are a "joke" and need to change before more people die, according to some drivers.

"It's out of control. I really can't describe it, because I'm so frustrated about what is going on in this industry. It's gotta stop," veteran Humboldt truck driver Kim Wylie said.

According to reports, the Calgary-based driver had been on the job for one month, which included a couple of weeks of training. The company, Adesh Deol Trucking Ltd. was not a member of the Alberta Motor Transport Association, said AMTA President Chris Nash.

Wylie and other drivers say they took lengthy training courses and gradually worked their way up over a period of months to hauling long, heavy loads. Many companies pair rookie drivers with veterans, they said. They also limit the size of the loads and the distance of the trip until the driver seems ready to handle more.

But that's not the case with many new drivers, and the "rogue" companies who send them out, they said.

'Standards are a joke'

Continued

In most provinces, including Saskatchewan and Alberta, the only requirement to drive a semi-trailer is passing written and road exams.

Wylie and Souster say there are more rules applied to driving a motorcycle than a 60,000-kilogram semi-trailer.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saska...-for-mandatory-semi-driver-training-1.4615567

I am planning on having a minute of silence to remember the 16 victims at 5pm ET tomorrow, 5pm Saskatchewan time, 10pm U.K time, 2pm PT time. The tragedy happened at approximately 5pm last Friday. You are all welcome to join me.

Lots of pictures:

Canadians join Jersey Day to honour Humboldt Broncos — ‘We are all one team’

attachment.php
[/QUOTE

I thought that I didn’t have any tears left in me, but I was wrong.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
centinel
Back