Canada - Canadian hockey team fatal bus accident tragedy, 6 April 2018

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
hmmm okay, maybe I worded it wrong lol Canada has a lot of open spaces, more so in Saskatchewan. I guess maybe I should have said in the not so heavily populated areas (which is basically the majority of Saskatchewan) there are intersections like this. The least they could have had there though was the rumble strips. Most major intersecting highways do have those nowadays, and I know some of the highways that we travel on the most had added them in the last 5-10 years, but there are still lots that don't.

I don't think we will ever see the trees go at that corner, they are put there to shield the house from the elements.

It does all boil down to driver error, and the rumble strips may have helped. The guy was only driving for a month, 2 weeks on his own. Who knows if the rumble strips would have helped in this case.

In fairness, I believe I read/heard that the driver had been driving for that company for only a month, including 2 weeks of training. I believe he/she is about 30 years old, and she/he may have driven transport for other companies for a number of years. At this point we don't know his/her full driving history.

In fairness, I believe I read/heard that the driver had been driving for that company for only a month, including 2 weeks of training. I believe he/she is about 30 years old, and she/he may have driven transport for other companies for a number of years. At this point we don't know his/her full driving history.

Thanks, I haven't read anything about him driving previously, or for how long. That is why I am trying not to jump to conclusions.

awww :(

BREAKING: Dayna Brons, #HumboldtBroncos athletic therapist, has died of her injuries. Family said in a statement: "She was surrounded by those she loved and those who loved her. Dayna will be forever remembered for her joyful smile, and her passion and love of sport."

This just gets worse. :cry:

So sad.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatchewan/brons-humboldt-broncos-team-bus-crash-1.4615462

dayna-brons.jpg

Rest in peace Dayna. May the many wonderful memories help sustain your family and friends through this terrible time.

:rose: :rose: :rose:

Saskatchewan Junior Hockey finals to go ahead after Humboldt Broncos crash

The Saskatchewan Junior Hockey League board has voted unanimously to resume the league's playoffs eight days after a devastating crash killed 16 people on a bus carrying the Humboldt Broncos.

The SJHL made the announcement Wednesday on social media, saying the championship series between the Estevan Bruins and the Nipawin Hawks will start Saturday in Nipawin.

Broncos president Kevin Garinger wanted the playoffs to continue, saying playing hockey is part of the healing process.

awww :(

BREAKING: Dayna Brons, #HumboldtBroncos athletic therapist, has died of her injuries. Family said in a statement: "She was surrounded by those she loved and those who loved her. Dayna will be forever remembered for her joyful smile, and her passion and love of sport."

This just gets worse. :cry:

Ah *****.

Canada Safety Council calling for seat belts on coach buses after Humboldt Broncos crash

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfo...sh-canada-safety-council-seat-belts-1.4613284

I am very sorry to hear about Dayna passing. May she Rest In Peace.

Wow. Coach seat belts are the norm here. I didn't realise that wasn't the case elsewhere. All recent coaches have them now and where they are fitted, wearing them is compulsory.

I believe all coaches manufactured after 1 July 1994 must be fitted with seatbelts here. Laws were changed mostly due to the Kempsey bus crash ... feet are still being dragged on buses, though regional school buses are getting seatbelts last I heard.

That said, this would still have been a horrific accident, albeit maybe one with a smaller fatality count, with seatbelts.

Accident or not, now I am seriously starting to get pi**ed off. The prospect of crash investigators taking “months” to figure this out is not acceptable. I have tried to remain calm, to remain objective. But LE needs to put people on this and determine quickly what happened. This isn’t rocket science. The families need answers, and the public needs to know so that preventative measures can be taken as necessary. I don’t know if the truck driver is responsible, or if there was a mechanical failure. But surely in this country of limitless resources it MUST take less time to determine the cause of the accident and for law enforcement to act than it takes to conceive a child and deliver it 9 months later. I am sorry, but this driver probably is still driving his/her own car around Calgary even now, and that is completely unacceptable. I’m sorry to rant, but I am angry.

It's ok to be angry. Part of the process. I am not upset at the time it will take. This was a huge accident to reconstruct. I want to know. The families need to know. I want to know exactly what happened. I had a co-worker who's Son was hit on his bike and killed by a vehicle. It was months before they got the actual report. I do respect your feeling for sure. No judgement from me. Epic tragedy.

I agree with IdIager above that it should not take months to figure this crash out.

In an early report, IIRC, the truck driver said he didn’t see the stop sign, the Sun was in his eyes. How much more is needed than an admittance of guilt?

It won’t take the reconstruction team long to draw this accident up when they have a driver able to describe the actual event for them.

Is it not standard practice of which direction a road is going as to has to stop? The truck was going east to west. Is this not a common direction for traffic to have to stop at crossroads?

Accident reconstructions are not finalized simply by what a driver has said. There is a ton that goes in to it. Condition of the truck, bus, was driver texting, they will pull his phone data, experience of driver, hrs. on the road, his blood test results etc. etc. It all has to be looked at. IMO all conditions factored in can prevent something happening in the future. Can signs be improved, rumble strips etc. etc.

I hope this link works. It is a video posted to a local news fb page. I'm annoyed with the owner of the truck company. I get that he is upset that he can't work, but c'mon, your driver was in an accident that has killed 16, as a company owner, it's his responsibility, and I for one, am happy that he is not on the road until this is resolved.

https://www.facebook.com/GlobalReginaNews/videos/10156118081706091/

I wish we could find out sooner what happened too. Lot's of things to be angry about. But there is so much good that I am seeing and hearing, blood donations have gone up this week, inquiries and signing up for organ donations have gone up, the amount raised for the go fund me is now at 9.1M and will continue to rise, businesses are going above and beyond to help, communities are coming together and I have witnessed acts of kindness that I don't think I have ever seen before. It is a good reminder that there is far more good in this world than bad.

Accident reconstructions are not finalized simply by what a driver has said. There is a ton that goes in to it. Condition of the truck, bus, was driver texting, they will pull his phone data, experience of driver, hrs. on the road, his blood test results etc. etc. It all has to be looked at. IMO all conditions factored in can prevent something happening in the future. Can signs be improved, rumble strips etc. etc.

Perhaps so. But we have complacently come to apparently just blindly ACCEPT their explanation that it will take so long. IMO any competent high school physics teacher could calculate the speed that the truck was going based on the distance of the truck wreckage from the intersection, the relative weights of the truck and the bus (both of which are I’m sure known) and the estimated speed of the bus, which can be reasonably guessed. Plus, there may be other witnesses to the crash who were travelling in other vehicles nearby, etc. Phone data and vehicle computer info should be easily accessible and be able to be reviewed in a couple of days, not a couple of months!! Again, this is not rocket science imo. Using the logic we have been asked to accept and live with, waiting long periods for all kinds of tests, we would probably still be waiting for their analysis to determine if airplanes flew into the twin towers.
I don’t accept that “many months” of analysis are required. The families, the victims, and the public deserve better. I certainly hope that when they release their findings “many months” from now that the driver, if he/she is found to be at fault, hasnt injured anyone else in the interim. And that he/she is still in the country.

Perhaps so. But we have complacently come to apparently just blindly ACCEPT their explanation that it will take so long. IMO any competent high school physics teacher could calculate the speed that the truck was going based on the distance of the truck wreckage from the intersection, the relative weights of the truck and the bus (both of which are I’m sure known) and the estimated speed of the bus, which can be reasonably guessed. Plus, there may be other witnesses to the crash who were travelling in other vehicles nearby, etc. Phone data and vehicle computer info should be easily accessible and be able to be reviewed in a couple of days, not a couple of months!! Again, this is not rocket science imo. Using the logic we have been asked to accept and live with, waiting long periods for all kinds of tests, we would probably still be waiting for their analysis to determine if airplanes flew into the twin towers.
I don’t accept that “many months” of analysis are required. The families, the victims, and the public deserve better. I certainly hope that when they release their findings “many months” from now that the driver, if he/she is found to be at fault, hasnt injured anyone else in the interim. And that he/she is still in the country.

Not to mention the owner of the trucking company, who evidently is prohibited from operating his other truck until the investigation is completed. He has a family to support in the “many months” ahead too. But it’s ok, let them take months and months.....

Scott Thomas says he knew when he saw the wreckage of the bus carrying the Humboldt Broncos that his 18-year-old son Evan had died.

Thomas played hockey as a teen for the Moose Jaw Warriors and knows the pecking order on a hockey bus: rookies in the front, vets in the back.

Evan, who was a right winger, had only started playing for the Broncos this season.

"When we pulled up and saw the front of the bus was gone, my head knew, right there," he said in an interview.”

Continued

The coroner met with the families on Saturday at the local funeral home, briefing them on what was known at that time.

"The coroner said 'Be prepared, some of your sons aren't going to look like what they used to look like,'" Thomas said.

He said they identified Evan by a small birthmark on his right cheek.

"I kissed him, kept telling him I loved him. That's probably all I said to him."

Evan excelled at science in school and was considering a future as an orthopedic surgeon.

"He was my best friend. I'm never going to be able to sit beside him on a golf cart and share a beer and have a laugh," he said.

"It's unfair to us; unfair to the hockey world; unfair to parents everywhere. It's just unfair."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatoon/humboldt-crash-evan-thomas-1.4613863

Not to mention the owner of the trucking company, who evidently is prohibited from operating his other truck until the investigation is completed. He has a family to support in the “many months” ahead too. But it’s ok, let them take months and months.....

To be honest I don’t think his company is going to survive the lawsuits that will be coming.

I don't think there is anything preventing him from finding a job though. They haven't taken his or his employees drivers licence from them. Sorry, I don't really care about his 6 month old business. JMO It's such an emotionally charged situation, they need to get this one right.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay
Back