Found Deceased Canada - Chase Martens, 2, Austin, MB, 22 March 2016

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Is there a link to a google map of the property? TIA

[video=twitter;713751854945992704]https://twitter.com/GreatLakesHello/status/713751854945992704[/video]
Sandra Weitzel ‎@GreatLakesHello
Chase Martens search: RCMP dive teams, drones to look for missing toddlerhttp://www.cbc.ca/1.3508059

Drones are out and Underwater Recovery is back. The search is extended to 4 kms now.

Please let this be the day.

Welcome to Ws arranrigney!
Not only is it hard sometimes to keep a hat on a little kid's head, or for some, to take a favorite hat off, but boots always seem to be the first to slide or be kicked off. imo.

Since Chase was wearing boots that light up when he walks, they sound like some I've seen that lace up and tie. They would not come off. IMO

No clothing being found is freaking me out a little. I haven't had an abduction feeling at all but you'd think they would have found something like the hat or shoes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[video=twitter;713751854945992704]https://twitter.com/GreatLakesHello/status/713751854945992704[/video]
Sandra Weitzel ‎@GreatLakesHello
Chase Martens search: RCMP dive teams, drones to look for missing toddlerhttp://www.cbc.ca/1.3508059

Drones are out and Underwater Recovery is back. The search is extended to 4 kms now.

Please let this be the day.

I keep looking at that image and thinking how small he is and how he could easily have clambered up those hay rolls and fallen inside them. I assume that's been checked thoroughly.

Damnit Chase where are you? Loads of people are physically searching for you and thousands are wishing for your safe return.

(caveat - I'm not angry at Chase, just angry that with all of the technology and facilities that we humans have at our disposal and we still can't find a small child. I guess I'm just frustrated & getting desperate for good news)

I keep looking at that image and thinking how small he is and how he could easily have clambered up those hay rolls and fallen inside them. I assume that's been checked thoroughly.

To put your mind at ease, he could not have climbed up those bales.

Is there a link to a google map of the property? TIA

LoriMcA has an excellent map here at post 349

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...stin-MB-22-March-2016&p=12433964#post12433964

I wish the news media idiots would stop saying town of Austin ... the home is about 8 miles north of Austin MB . It is also about 9 miles south of Gladstone MB ... which is likely where the father went shopping at , not sure if he did but it has a major gas-convenience station and a couple of decent grocery stores. .

I was at the farm Friday morning , not to search , just stopped by , snow on the ground + bitter cold wind .

I don't know if this has been asked or covered but are there silos around?

Thanks for the map link. I did a search of the word map for this thread and response was that were were no posts with that word???

To put your mind at ease, he could not have climbed up those bales.

Why not? I really don't know the answer. Several years ago the body of a teen was found between a couple bales. The prevailing wisdom was he crawled in there for warmth and died.

Why not? I really don't know the answer. Several years ago the body of a teen was found between a couple bales. The prevailing wisdom was he crawled in there for warmth and died.

A teen, sure -- but not a 2 year old.

eta - those bales are huge, and the surface is steep, and doesn't provide easy traction. A two year old simply doesn't have the size or strength to climb one.

I don't know if this has been asked or covered but are there silos around?

There was a pic with silos in the background, but I don't have the link. I believe someone mentioned earlier they thought they would be dangerous to a young child.

A teen, sure -- but not a 2 year old.

eta - those bales are huge, and the surface is steep, and doesn't provide easy traction. A two year old simply doesn't have the size or strength to climb one.

I grew up on a large dairy farm and we always had the huge round bales of hay. The hay had to be (all with big farm equipment) cut, raked, left to dry, then baled. Often, the baler would pop out a bale that wasn't perfect. It was those that were a breeze to climb...tons of little handholds and footholds. The picture used in my high school yearbook one year is of a barely 3 year old me, in my rubber boots, standing on top of one of those huge bales that I had just scaled, all by myself.

Also, the longer the bales sat, and if they had been moved from place to place with the tractor, they began to break down in places, making them easy to climb.

Something I keep wondering about is why Chase would wander off when dinner was only 15 minutes away? You would think he would be hungry and wanting to stay close to the house.

I grew up on a large dairy farm and we always had the huge round bales of hay. The hay had to be (all with big farm equipment) cut, raked, left to dry, then baled. Often, the baler would pop out a bale that wasn't perfect. It was those that were a breeze to climb...tons of little handholds and footholds. The picture used in my high school yearbook one year is of a barely 3 year old me, in my rubber boots, standing on top of one of those huge bales that I had just scaled, all by myself.

Also, the longer the bales sat, and if they had been moved from place to place with the tractor, they began to break down in places, making them easy to climb.

Or he could have crawled into the space between the bales,although I'm sure they would have searched them.Someone earlier had suggested checking the pile of wood,under the tarp on the truck.Another great idea!

I also think he went to the creek. I would look in any area where the topography drops. A toddler would move down a hill instead of up. I also think he would follow a visible pathway, especially one he already knew. IMO

I agree the most likely direction he went was the creek .... and it has been confirmed he went there many times with the father so he would know the way. Kids are drawn like a magnet to water and the creek has a sharp drop off on the edge of the bank.

On Friday I took a picture of this deep ditch which is less than half a mile north of the farm yard. What I found interesting was how many hiding places in the tall bulrushes yet it did not look as though it had been searched , not one single footprint in the mud nor one single blade of grass trampled down . The scale of the car on the road gives an idea how deep the ditch is.

But out in the cultivated open fields where there is no way a child could go unseen is trampled down like a heard of elephants went through.

Attachments

• martens farm ditch half mile north.jpg
    martens farm ditch half mile north.jpg
    179.2 KB · Views: 78
  • martens farm deep ditch half mile north.jpg
    martens farm deep ditch half mile north.jpg
    183.8 KB · Views: 81
I agree the most likely direction he went was the creek .... and it has been confirmed he went there many times with the father so he would know the way. Kids are drawn like a magnet to water and the creek has a sharp drop off on the edge of the bank.

On Friday I took a picture of this deep ditch which is less than half a mile north of the farm yard. What I found interesting was how many hiding places in the tall bulrushes yet it did not look as though it had been searched , not one single footprint in the mud nor one single blade of grass trampled down . The scale of the car on the road gives an idea how deep the ditch is.

But out in the cultivated open fields where there is no way a child could go unseen is trampled down like a heard of elephants went through.

Wow thanks Arnie - it's so helpful to have local knowledge! :tyou:

Thanks Arnie M - I was about to post and ask you about the other pix you posted of the creek (which seemed a biggish river to me) so these pix are very welcome.
Is this creek frozen with ice on top or is the water moving?
What's more enticing for a little child than water, slipping on ice, he could have rolled down the bank, possible he sank into reeds?
IDK, poor little mite.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxmia2020
Back