Found Deceased Canada - Chase Martens, 2, Austin, MB, 22 March 2016

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Okay ....just had to clarify something here....there is a picture circulating *have to go look back to the news source for it*....the picture of the SARs carrying the litter out of the bush? That is NOT SARs carrying Chase....that is a picture of the SARs carrying an injured volunteer out of there on Friday.......check picture 48 of 62 in the gallery here:

http://www.winnipegsun.com/2016/03/26/search-for-chase-martens-enters-day-4

with this caption:
"Responders carry a litter with an injured search and rescue volunteer out of the bush near Austin, Man., on Friday, March 25, 2016. An overnight snowfall is making the search more difficult volunteers who continue a search for 2-year-old Chase Martens, who went missing from his family home Tuesday evening. THE CANADIAN PRESS/John Woods"

Thank you LoriMcA. Can't help but feel it was intentional that image was used for the "Found" heading on news sites. How dare they. Really.

http://www.cp24.com/news/no-foul-play-in-death-of-two-year-old-boy-in-manitoba-rcmp-1.2833402

I am absolutely heartbroken for this family. I know that they must be devastated, and will be plagued for a long time by "what ifs." No parents should ever have to go through that.

It is so distressing that this KEEPS ON HAPPENING. We see it here again and again at Websleuths, and the public became briefly aware because Noah Chamberlin's case spread so far, but for the most part it feels like something more needs to be done to keep these boys safe. Because it always seems to be boys aged 2-3.. some sort of public service announcement or campaign warning parents to be extra vigilant and not to leave boys alone at this age for any length of time? Maybe even some sort of social media campaign? Something needs to be done.

Is this (boys 2-3 age range disappearing) something new and different??

Oh my word this is horrible. His poor mother. His poor father. His poor sisters. I'm crying for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It has been said that Chase was found just over 1/3 mile from his home. That's not very far for a two-year-old to travel, based on previous cases. IMO

I agree. Not that far at all. My 2 year old walked almost 3 miles at the zoo...and still didn't want to nap that day.

Okay ....just had to clarify something here....there is a picture circulating *have to go look back to the news source for it*....the picture of the SARs carrying the litter out of the bush? That is NOT SARs carrying Chase....that is a picture of the SARs carrying an injured volunteer out of there on Friday.......check picture 48 of 62 in the gallery here:

with this caption:
"Responders carry a litter with an injured search and rescue volunteer out of the bush near Austin, Man., on Friday, March 25, 2016. An overnight snowfall is making the search more difficult volunteers who continue a search for 2-year-old Chase Martens, who went missing from his family home Tuesday evening. THE CANADIAN PRESS/John Woods"

Thank you so much for finding this. Makes me feel a lot better.

I am absolutely heartbroken for this family. I know that they must be devastated, and will be plagued for a long time by "what ifs." No parents should ever have to go through that.

It is so distressing that this KEEPS ON HAPPENING. We see it here again and again at Websleuths, and the public became briefly aware because Noah Chamberlin's case spread so far, but for the most part it feels like something more needs to be done to keep these boys safe. Because it always seems to be boys aged 2-3.. some sort of public service announcement or campaign warning parents to be extra vigilant and not to leave boys alone at this age for any length of time? Maybe even some sort of social media campaign? Something needs to be done.

I think, in theory, that's a great idea. But unfortunately I don't think a campaign would help since it's already a known thing, for the most part. If it weren't, there would be a lot more missing children wandering off probably. Obviously even 1 is too many though.

My son just had a 2.5 year well visit. At each visit we are given these handout things based on their age. This was in the most recent one (and I am pretty sure the previous ones said something similar.) Maybe more doctor's offices should have these or something.

30mon.jpg

Fly high little one. Please let his family and all that loved him find some solace in that it was a terrible accident and try to heal. Prayers for all

I am praying for this family tonight. No matter what my feelings are on the circumstances that led to his death...my heart still breaks for them.

Just got in and saw the tragic news.

R.I.P. Chase :rose: :cry:

Thank you LoriMcA. Can't help but feel it was intentional that image was used for the "Found" heading on news sites. How dare they. Really.

http://www.cp24.com/news/no-foul-play-in-death-of-two-year-old-boy-in-manitoba-rcmp-1.2833402

Yes...it made me angry as well...I knew I'd seen the picture before today....

Also...separate issue altogether......the guy who is a freelance 'reporter' that prematurely announced on twitter that Chase was found in a well *of course 'sources' said so *rolls my eyes*

I guess he decided he needed to 'scoop' the rcmp before they even had a news brief!!

ALL for clicks & selling papers...it's exploitation.....REALLY makes my blood boil...particularly in the case of a child...

Last I looked...the guy reported the correct story AFTER the news brief....& left his incorrect tweet up there!!

The only satisfaction was...he was getting blasted on twitter about his shoddy 'reporting' and asking why he didn't bother to delete his erroneous tweet

Sorry for such a long reply....but it got me riled......

No worries...I knew I'd seen that pic before today....
I didn't like the thought of the news showing that picture & having everyone think it was little dude...
That to me...would be too much... :'(

with this caption:
THANK-YOU, Lori, for this major clarification.

I did wonder why an out-of-province news outlet had the only picture of Chase being carried out. I also wondered why LE was not doing that. It didn't seem right.

My apologies for posting the pic. It certainly was misleading for them to run that old picture on that story.

Just see that Chase has been found. Poor baby and heartfelt condolences for his family and all that knew and loved little Chase. So very tragic and sad.:rose:

THANK-YOU, Lori, for this major clarification.

I did wonder why an out-of-province news outlet had the only picture of Chase being carried out. I also wondered why LE was not doing that. It didn't seem right.

My apologies for posting the pic. It certainly was misleading for them to run that old picture on that story.

Oh Wondergirl....no apologies necessary....you reported what the news *or SOME* news sites were posting...
The news sites should be held more accountable...but it's all about getting that 'scoop' isn't it....
I should thank YOU....I knew I'd seen that pic before today...and that got me on a search for it...and cleared my mind....
Don't you hate when you are trying to remember something...it's on the tip of your tongue or ...memory in this case....drives me nuts*L*....So that solved that for me! *hugs*

I agree. Not that far at all. My 2 year old walked almost 3 miles at the zoo...and still didn't want to nap that day.

I think, in theory, that's a great idea. But unfortunately I don't think a campaign would help since it's already a known thing, for the most part. If it weren't, there would be a lot more missing children wandering off probably. Obviously even 1 is too many though.

My son just had a 2.5 year well visit. At each visit we are given these handout things based on their age. This was in the most recent one (and I am pretty sure the previous ones said something similar.) Maybe more doctor's offices should have these or something.

30mon.jpg

Yes I agree, it should be common knowledge. I was thinking more of something that would stand out in people's minds, like the stories of these families told in a video format. And to provide more ideas on how to keep boys safe such as GPS bracelets etc.

I am praying for this family tonight. No matter what my feelings are on the circumstances that led to his death...my heart still breaks for them.

I agree with you Amy. I felt their sincere, debilitating grief at their presser, my heart broke.(it broke all of our hearts, because we sensed true remorse) There will be most likely, a lot of judgement on why Chase was out and about by himself at such a young age... But, I can guarantee, these parents will be beating themselves up... I feel for them, deeply.

He was in the creek near the house that everyone here suspected at the start. :( Underwater Recovery came back this morning so I guess they searched the creek again.

No foul play suspected - thank goodness for that. His poor family. :tears:

Yes - Paquet said that the search & rescue advisors (for lack of a better word) said the creek was a "high probability area," and that it needed to be checked multiple times due to variability of depth and current. Apparently today the conditions were such that he could be discovered. Sigh.

with this caption:

I also thank you Lori .... I have no love for the media at the best of times and it is because of those kinds of incompetent blunders. They had fully equipped satellite trucks on site for most of those days yet only did a couple of decent reports.

Let me put it another way .... if I was in a worn out wheelchair using a busted cell phone I could have done a better live coverage on the important parts of the search .... as compared to seeing the main stream media show same 100 people tramp the same field every day.

Some of the media were very good with lots of pictures so all is not lost.

I also thank you Lori .... I have no love for the media at the best of times and it is because of those kinds of incompetent blunders. They had fully equipped satellite trucks on site for most of those days yet only did a couple of decent reports.

Let me put it another way .... if I was in a worn out wheelchair using a busted cell phone I could have done a better live coverage on the important parts of the search .... as compared to seeing the main stream media show same 100 people tramp the same field every day.

Some of the media were very good with lots of pictures so all is not lost.

Well let me put it another way.....some news reports/stations do a good job....not opinion...not flaming by making splashier headlines...they report....simple. For the past 5 days...I would watch the local news just to hear ...found....not found....do they need volunteers...etc....that is what I wanted to know...I watched the rcmp brief this afternoon...because they are the ones who KNOW.

On the other hand....you are right...there are excellent sources out there providing pictures...giving everyone...including us 'locals' ...a look at what conditions they are dealing with....the landscape...weather...etc....all that manpower *can I say holy WOW to that?* 30000 man hrs...mostly volunteer....yeah...WOW...
I guess...it comes with the job....they want that big story....but really...just tell the darn truth...I detest the sensationalism.....as has been said before....'Just the facts, ma'am'...

I'm so truly sorry. I hope Chase's parents receive the love and encouragement they need.

It is kind of strange that his dog didn't follow him.

Was it LE that was carrying him out on the stretcher? Kind of seemed like it was volunteers. I would have thought that he would be left where he was found for LE.

I'm sure it is just a tragic accident. But it would be nice to see some pictures and hear the opinion of the Searchers who searched that creek already.

They can look at the photos they took with the drone earlier in the week. They may see him in the pictures.

Poor little gaffer. :-(

I couldn't tell who was handling the stretcher -- perhaps LE or SAR personnel -- dunno.

I would hope that those people who had previously searched that particular area of the creek would be interviewed to get an idea of depth & current if they were able to recall it.

All that LE would need, seems to me, after viewing the initial scene asap, would be a series of pictures of the creek area, its surroundings, and of the body in situ before they moved it to a stretcher. I would think LE would want the body removed & on its way to the M.E. asap, as long as there are good pics of the scene of recovery.

So, so sad. No one needs to see that little boy as he was found, other than the appropriate officials, seems to me. Poor little Chase and his family.

I couldn't tell who was handling the stretcher -- perhaps LE or SAR personnel -- dunno.

I would hope that those people who had previously searched that particular area of the creek would be interviewed to get an idea of depth & current if they were able to recall it.

All that LE would need, seems to me, after viewing the initial scene asap, would be a series of pictures of the creek area, its surroundings, and of the body in situ before they moved it to a stretcher. I would think LE would want the body removed & on its way to the M.E. asap, as long as there are good pics of the scene of recovery.

So, so sad. No one needs to see that little boy as he was found, other than the appropriate officials, seems to me. Poor little Chase and his family.
That wasn't Chase, it was an injured searcher.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unnamedTV
Back