Found Deceased Canada - Eugene Kim, 38, Markham, Ont, 2 Oct 2017

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Hoping that Eugene's kids are okay, they must miss him and wonder where he is, it has been about 12 days since they have seen him.
Just a thought - does EK have any connection to other provinces such as Quebec?

An edit to my post above ... South River is only half an hour south of North Bay, closer than I thought, so he may have been seen along the Northwest side of the park, and not the southern, highway 60 side. Perhaps he made the phone call from S. River... just guessing.

The area of the park he was thought to be in is very remote... not accessed by hwy 60 at all. You take hwy 11 to south river then out chemical road to kawayamog (round) lake. There is no reason to go hwy 60 for this area of the park. There are very few people on north tea lake year round. This is back country camping... accessed by canoe or kayak, or hike in from trails ... and you would still need a canoe/kayak to get down the lake. You cannot drive a car right to this lake. Uncertain if this is where he actually was headed, but it was referenced as a destination on his Facebook page. Also campsites are not Reservable in these areas. You tell the park rangers where your headed/ destination area, campsites are marked but really first come first serve. There are also many portages in this area to other lakes... also with campsites. It is possible to portage all the way to kiosk which is at north end of park from this area...quite easily. That being said his car should be obvious and have been found by now. There are lots of atvs, hunters in area, that travel the atv trails and most definitely most of the roads around there. It would be unusual to see any vehicle just parked in this area for no reason for a length of time and would raise suspicion... there is a parking lot at round lake where the pass was thought to have been purchased. .. it is small though... car must not have been there they would have found it. If you parked there and we're intending to head into north tea, you would get in water there and portage. Or drive car to another access point to tea lake (there are only 2 that I know of) then hike your canoe to waters edge. Could be more accesses? But I don't think so. Park rangers would be familiar with these though and it sounds like they have been assisting.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk

The area of the park he was thought to be in is very remote... not accessed by hwy 60 at all. You take hwy 11 to south river then out chemical road to kawayamog (round) lake. There is no reason to go hwy 60 for this area of the park. There are very few people on north tea lake year round. This is back country camping... accessed by canoe or kayak, or hike in from trails ... and you would still need a canoe/kayak to get down the lake. You cannot drive a car right to this lake. Uncertain if this is where he actually was headed, but it was referenced as a destination on his Facebook page. Also campsites are not Reservable in these areas. You tell the park rangers where your headed/ destination area, campsites are marked but really first come first serve. There are also many portages in this area to other lakes... also with campsites. It is possible to portage all the way to kiosk which is at north end of park from this area...quite easily. That being said his car should be obvious and have been found by now. There are lots of atvs, hunters in area, that travel the atv trails and most definitely most of the roads around there. It would be unusual to see any vehicle just parked in this area for no reason for a length of time and would raise suspicion... there is a parking lot at round lake where the pass was thought to have been purchased. .. it is small though... car must not have been there they would have found it. If you parked there and we're intending to head into north tea, you would get in water there and portage. Or drive car to another access point to tea lake (there are only 2 that I know of) then hike your canoe to waters edge. Could be more accesses? But I don't think so. Park rangers would be familiar with these though and it sounds like they have been assisting.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk

Welcome to Ws violetsky2017, thanks for the information!

I would think that the family also knows of areas of Algonquin Park that Eugene used to like to visit. This information would be helpful in doing searches.

I'm stumped over the purchase of the overnight camping permit but then he didn't end up staying. Did he intend to camp overnight but ran into trouble before he could start portaging? Did they own a canoe/kayak? If not, why did he pay for the permit but not rent a canoe/kayak to get out to his destination? This is a huge piece of the puzzle, imo.

I'm stumped over the purchase of the overnight camping permit but then he didn't end up staying. Did he intend to camp overnight but ran into trouble before he could start portaging? Did they own a canoe/kayak? If not, why did he pay for the permit but not rent a canoe/kayak to get out to his destination? This is a huge piece of the puzzle, imo.

It's strange because the media articles tend to contradict themselves. Some say he bought a day pass and others allude to a camping pass. Does anyone know if you have to indicate people's name on day or camping passes or do you just have to indicate the number of people in the car as there is a fee per person? This Global News article indicates from Det. Brown that Eugene bought a day permit to Algonquin park. https://globalnews.ca/news/3785231/missing-38-year-old-markham-man/

I think the family needs to look at his employment attendance history.

We don't know if he had visited there multiple time previous to going missing, and already had a canoe or kayak stashed somewhere.

Are there storage units within relatively close distance to where he bought the permit?

What's missing from home?

It's strange because the media articles tend to contradict themselves. Some say he bought a day pass and others allude to a camping pass. Does anyone know if you have to indicate people's name on day or camping passes or do you just have to indicate the number of people in the car as there is a fee per person? This Global News article indicates from Det. Brown that Eugene bought a day permit to Algonquin park. https://globalnews.ca/news/3785231/missing-38-year-old-markham-man/

According this site, the day permit is for 1 vehicle regardless of how many people. I think it's just like any other parking permit: you specify how many days and pay your money, leaving the permit on the dash, no personal info is collected. I suspect he paid by credit card, and that's how police know it was him. http://www.algonquinpark.on.ca/visit/general_park_info/fees-day-use.php

This threw me for a bit too. By the time he bought his permit, it was late in the afternoon, and definitely not a good time to start for North Tea Lake. Earlier, I had the mistaken impression that he bought a permit for the northern section of Tea Lake on Highway 60, but that's an entirely different lake. violetsky2017 above gives a good description of how one accesses North Tea Lake. It's possible that the outfitter talked them out of it because of the time constaints, and that's why he remembered seeing Eugene and his companion.

I wonder why he arrived at the North Tea lake access so late in the day. He would know how much time he needed to get to, and set up a campsite before dark. It's possible that knowing where he was prior to his arrival at the Outfitters might lead to information about who his companion was.

I don't believe he is anywhere near there. It's quire possible he bought that day pass and drove off somewhere else. Where? I have no clue. He's dodged us, and he's dodged us good, otherwise, there would be a somewhat of a good chance we would have found his vehicle by now, no?

Someone on here said that it's harder to hide a vehicle than it is to hide a person. I actually agree with that statement.

IMHO.

Jak Pak's (on behalf of Sean Kim) page "Find Eugene Kim" had a goal of $10K and has collected just under $45K and is "No Longer Accepting Donations".
Latest update was Oct.12...

"On behalf of the Kim family I would like to thank everyone for their amazing support over the past few days. Because of this support, we have far surpassed our goal and we are forever grateful to you. We remain confident that we will bring Eugene home safely and his family will receive your love and support throughout this most difficult time.

Warmest regards,
Jay Pak, Campaign Manager"

Posted on the Help us find Eugene Kim FB page 10 minutes ago:

“Hi Jennifer, we don't have any new news or updates at this time. We're looking to expand our search efforts and working closely with the police on any new leads. Thank you for your continued support and thoughts. Please help us continue to share. We're hopeful for good news and a safe return.”

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=283683568803571&id=280416902463571

How can we help?

“We’re looking to expand our search efforts“: As in search locations? More resources (i.e., hiring a PI, use of drones, etc.)?

I am really stumped as to what might have happened here.

I thought someone said early on that you can't buy a camping pass on the day you want to use it - that it must be bought in advance because they are hard to come by. Day pass sure, but overnight passes are bought in advance. FWIW

I don't think he is near the park anyway though.

Post landing at random here ...

Websleuths does not allow information to be brought over from random blogs as we cannot verify the source of the information. We continue to rely on MSM or LE, and our own members' sleuthing capabilities for information.

:wave:

Okay your forum your rules. I don't quite understand what I am allowed to post then if not hypothesis on a direction for investigation. A potential lead has come up today and we are going to ignore discussing it when it could bring the story into focus?

Okay your forum your rules. I don't quite understand what I am allowed to post then if not hypothesis on a direction for investigation. A potential lead has come up today and we are going to ignore discussing it when it could bring the story into focus?

Sometimes if i want to post something that has come up or make a suggestion ect. i will add to my post that it is a rumour or that it is just speculation in my own opinion.
Hoping that everyone keeps brain storming and that major news sources( msn) continue to post articles about this very baffling case, which is of interest and concern to many!
imo.

Post landing at random here ...

Websleuths does not allow information to be brought over from random blogs as we cannot verify the source of the information. We continue to rely on MSM or LE, and our own members' sleuthing capabilities for information.

:wave:

Hi Sillybilly, I just have a question about what is allowed. There is a Help us Find Eugene Kim facebook page that gives updates on the investigation from family members of Eugene Kim. Are we allowed to quote that Facebook page with information they give? I guess that MSM means regular newspaper articles/television reporting on the case?

Sometimes if i want to post something that has come up or make a suggestion ect. i will add to my post that it is a rumour or that it is just speculation in my own opinion.
Hoping that everyone keeps brain storming and that major news sources( msn) continue to post articles about this very baffling case, which is of interest and concern to many!
imo.

Now you have me wondering what details you were going to share. We are starving for information in this case!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Asset Locator
Back