Found Deceased Canada - Jessica Newman, 24, Calgary, 10 March 2015 #1 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems to me that the discovery of remains are generally reported on the same day. So if 5 days later, how did the reporter even find out about them at that point? Obviously LE wasn't in a hurry to let the public know, why let them know on day 5? Why not wait until they can say who they belong to, what sex they are, how long they've been there, etc., rather than to just say they're looking into the circumstances surrounding the remains being there, and how they got there, type of deal?

Good post! Adding to it, why several days between the remains being found and the reporting of them being found? Remains being found seem to be generally be reported the same day.

It seems to me that the discovery of remains are generally reported on the same day. So if 5 days later, how did the reporter even find out about them at that point? Obviously LE wasn't in a hurry to let the public know, why let them know on day 5? Why not wait until they can say who they belong to, what sex they are, how long they've been there, etc., rather than to just say they're looking into the circumstances surrounding the remains being there, and how they got there, type of deal?
With the amount of interest in the case and the amount of missing persons that are potentially affected, I suspect they wanted to hold off as long as possible, and only reported it once it was learned by the media.

I can appreciate that it could take awhile to ID remains and especially if they've been there for quite some time, and if they are from a person lacking dental records.... but my point is that in the article, it said nothing about having to identify the remains, which leads me to think they have already ID'd the remains. They seem to be making more of an issue of 'how the remains got there', which to me, if it was a serial killer of mostly sex trade workers, would be rather obvious?

"RCMP officers are investigating a scenario in which human remains were discovered"

"Officials are working to determine the circumstances that led to the remains ending up where they were found, and their origin. It’s believed the remains may have been in the area for some time."

If they are dealing with skeletal remains, the identification process will take longer. For some of these women, dental records might be few and far between. We don't even know if they have all of the remains - it's doubtful if they had been there a long time. I also suspect that they are attempting to determine COD before releasing the identity. That would not be a quick process on skeletal remains.

I can appreciate that it could take awhile to ID remains and especially if they've been there for quite some time, and if they are from a person lacking dental records.... but my point is that in the article, it said nothing about having to identify the remains, which leads me to think they have already ID'd the remains. They seem to be making more of an issue of 'how the remains got there', which to me, if it was a serial killer of mostly sex trade workers, would be rather obvious?

"RCMP officers are investigating a scenario in which human remains were discovered"

"Officials are working to determine the circumstances that led to the remains ending up where they were found, and their origin. It’s believed the remains may have been in the area for some time."
"Investigators said the remains were being examined by the Medical Examiner in Edmonton – they were found to be human."

"Officially, RCMP said more information on this case will be made available on Monday."

http://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/mobile/p...man-remains-found-south-of-edmonton-1.2343873

I'm not sure what you're getting at though. It sounds like they are investigating, are putting everything together, and will have a press release or conference tomorrow.

If they had to have the ME determine if the remains were human, there couldn't have been much obviously identifiable.

I don't find the omission wrt identification in the article unusual. I think it is pretty much a given that remains either skeletonized or in an advanced state of decomp could not be positively IDed until the coroner completes examination/testing.

The article sounded mostly like filler to me ... the usual yada, yada when there aren't any real specifics or obvious signs to report on.

Maybe it is just weird wording (to me), but I feel like it is omitting any reporting on the most basic information, the most important task when remains are found, that being the identification of the remains.. and this is being reported five full business days after the remains were discovered, and yet still no mention, one way or another, which I find really odd. Instead of reporting that police and ME are working away at identification, it instead reports working away at how the remains came to be there. It's like the info that would normally be there, isn't there, and yet info I wouldn't expect to see, is there. Just strikes me weird. Apparently it's just me, and perhaps one other, that find this a little off somehow.

Guess we'll find out tomorrow since they indicated on Friday that more information will be made available on Monday. (If they know on Friday which further information they will release on Monday, then why not release it on Friday, why wait 3 more days? If it is a matter of notifying next of kin, then how can they know on Friday that they will be able to release more info on Monday, since they can't know for sure ahead of time that they will be successful in making contact with next of kin by then? If it is a matter of further testing/results on the remains, how do they know on Friday that the results will be available by Monday?) I may obviously be reading more into this than what is there, but it all, (all of that little bit that was reported), just seems peculiar to me, just moo.

Yes, perhaps it was the resident in the area who saw forensic investigators in the area of Secondary Highway 623 and Range Road 240 on Monday, who called reporters. (But again, seems a 4 day lag in getting that info out?)
A resident in the area told Global News they saw forensic investigators in the area of Secondary Highway 623 and Range Road 240 on Monday.
http://globalnews.ca/news/1960154/rcmp-investigate-discovery-of-human-remains-near-leduc/

With the amount of interest in the case and the amount of missing persons that are potentially affected, I suspect they wanted to hold off as long as possible, and only reported it once it was learned by the media.

Maybe it is just weird wording (to me), but I feel like it is omitting any reporting on the most basic information, the most important task when remains are found, that being the identification of the remains.. and this is being reported five full business days after the remains were discovered, and yet still no mention, one way or another, which I find really odd. Instead of reporting that police and ME are working away at identification, it instead reports working away at how the remains came to be there. It's like the info that would normally be there, isn't there, and yet info I wouldn't expect to see, is there. Just strikes me weird. Apparently it's just me, and perhaps one other, that find this a little off somehow.

Guess we'll find out tomorrow since they indicated on Friday that more information will be made available on Monday. (If they know on Friday which further information they will release on Monday, then why not release it on Friday, why wait 3 more days? If it is a matter of notifying next of kin, then how can they know on Friday that they will be able to release more info on Monday, since they can't know for sure ahead of time that they will be successful in making contact with next of kin by then? If it is a matter of further testing/results on the remains, how do they know on Friday that the results will be available by Monday?) I may obviously be reading more into this than what is there, but it all, (all of that little bit that was reported), just seems peculiar to me, just moo.
It sounds like it initially took time to identify the remains as human, which likely means they only found a few pieces of unidentifiable bone. Once identified as human, they then have to establish how the remains got there. If it were only partial pieces found, then perhaps it was brought there by animals... or perhaps there is a shallow grave nearby... or one of many possibilities. During this time, the identification process was probably started, and with only pieces to go on it's likely that will require DNA testing... which takes time.

The reporting may sound odd, because at the time of the report, there may not have been much information to give. As well, until LE knew they were dealing with human remains, and not an animal carcass, I'm sure they were reluctant to commit massive amount of forensic resources. There is still a chance they can't identify the person.

The Monday release of information is not guaranteed, nor is the depth of information released.

CPS treating body pulled from Bow River as a suspicious death.

http://www.660news.com/2015/04/29/cps-treating-body-pulled-from-bow-river-as-a-suspicious-death/
"A witness told 660News he noticed a jacket in the river in the same spot where the body was found around 1:45 p.m., but couldn’t see a body at the time."

I wonder if this was mentioned because of the description of Jessica's jacket that is listed in her Missing Person's report.
"The aquatics rescue team was deployed and a body was removed from the river near Macleod Trail and Riverfront Avenue S.W., close to the Drop-In Centre."

I think the reference to the rehab is the stronger hint.

http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-news/body-found

http://www.660news.com/2015/04/29/cps-treating-body-pulled-from-bow-river-as-a-suspicious-death/
"The body was taken out of the water around 5 p.m. just west of the Langevin bridge."

The Langevin Bridge is a through truss bridge in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. It connects Downtown Calgary with north-central Calgary communities such as Bridgeland and Crescent Heights, by spanning the Bow River between 4th Avenue South and Memorial Drive.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Langevin_Bridge

I wonder how long the body was in the river.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bfwbnfts