Canada - Lucas Fowler, Chynna Deese, and Leonard Dyck, all murdered, Alaska Hwy, BC, Jul 2019 #10

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally I really think he needs to be on a suicide watch. I’m glad he hasn’t been in the media, it just wouldn’t be helpful to anyone at this time.
He has been quiet lately, and I'm hoping it is because someone has taken him in hand and convinced him that it's not doing him, his son, or the situation any favors for him to continue speaking to the media right now. I also hope he is getting some help from Victim Services, which some of our Canadian friends here have mentioned. MOO

Last edited:
The media reports about the First Nations Safety Officer seeing survival gear & maps indeed looks to be false. However, it is highly reasonable to assume that Leonard Dyck (the owner of the RAV4) carried similar equipment. His friend stated that he loved to be in nature and go camping, and he was not surprised “that he was up where he was found” because he enjoyed taking those kind of trips to Northern BC. LD being in possession of a map is almost undoubtedly certain as 1) older folks rarely trust newer tech like GPS, 2) when in the middle of nowhere, it is logical to carry a backup plan / navigation method. I think its safe to assume the teens were in a possession of a map yet still chose to travel down a dead end road to Gillam. Why?

Additionally, some of you believe that the boys torched the RAV4 outside of Gillam because they ran out of gas/money. I think it is important to note that the day prior their RAV4 was stuck in the mud, and an unknowing bystander assisted them in pulling it out. This bystander mentions that he pulled up in a relatively new truck, & had his wallet (credit cards, cash) in the vehicle. Don’t you think the teens would have reasonably foreseen that they would run out of resources within a days’ time, & out of desperation try to rob the helping bystander for what little supplies he had?
Maybe im giving these boys too much credit, & maybe they really are that dumb, yet maybe not.

I am not convinced that BS and KM plan OR read maps even when they have them. they seem to run on adrenaline and make random decisions.

This whole thing has me confused! The stranger in road, and Mr Dyck just don’t fit in. I wonder if police have done an investigation into Mr Dycks personality, lifestyle etc.
I'm not sure where your train of thought is on this thought. Mr. Dyck was a highly respected professor at UBC which is one of the few accredited universities in Canada. There is nothing in his past to suggest anything other than he set out on his exploring/camping trip for all the right reasons. I have no doubt they planned this killing trip. The fact is it did not matter who their victims were - be it a retired University Professor, or two young people in an older van. The key was the thrill of the kill. I feel Fowler/Deese were a 'practice' to test if they would get caught. They weren't, but aren't stupid to think RCMP could track them down in some way. Their next step to their plan was to steal a vehicle that appeared in good enough working order to make their escape out of BC, it was easy for them to kill Mr. Dyck for his vehicle. We don't know how much cash money Dyck was carrying. I feel the boys left Port Alberni with say a couple thousand dollars jointly, however gas is expensive here and driving a truck probably cost them 700.00 just to drive up north, (let alone ferry fees etc). Most of their money I feel has gone into fuel for the vehicles. When the money started running out at Split lake, they got their last 20.00 in the tank and drove it as far as it could go.

This whole thing has me confused! The stranger in road, and Mr Dyck just don’t fit in. I wonder if police have done an investigation into Mr Dycks personality, lifestyle etc.
I think everyone is hung up on the stranger in the road but personally I don’t think they should be. The girl that reported it (and not immediately) specifically said his arms were out and he seemed frustrated. I think, he and his car have nothing to with the investigation other than another witness who would have been possibly the last person to see them alive before the killer? I don’t know but nobody in town is in fear of a man, specifically this man.

Apologies if this has been posted/brought up before, I've been following the previous threads for awhile and almost caught up.

I didn't see too much discussion on where they got the RAV 4 - I always thought it was it was the UBC Prof who was driving it until I saw this article today:

Questions remain as Manitoba manhunt stretches into Day 9

yep no one has confirmed it was the Professor's vehicle

I think everyone is hung up on the stranger in the road but personally I don’t think they should be. The girl that reported it (and not immediately) specifically said his arms were out and he seemed frustrated. I think, he and his car have nothing to with the investigation other than another witness who would have been possibly the last person to see them alive before the killer? I don’t know but nobody in town is in fear of a man, specifically this man.
Yeah I don't know what the deal is with the bearded guy, but I'm thinking RCMP has maybe been able to identify him and doesn't consider him an issue. I know there's been some speculation that the bearded guy is KM because he is probably shorter than LF and has a beard, but I don't think he really matches the description. The witness said the man was dark-complected and dark-headed. Granted, she saw him at night, but KM is quite pale-looking and sandy-headed in the photos and security cam footage I've seen.

I've also seen speculation the bearded man is LD, but I also don't think that's true since he was gray-headed/gray-bearded.

I'm not sure where your train of thought is on this thought. Mr. Dyck was a highly respected professor at UBC which is one of the few accredited universities in Canada. There is nothing in his past to suggest anything other than he set out on his exploring/camping trip for all the right reasons. I have no doubt they planned this killing trip. The fact is it did not matter who their victims were - be it a retired University Professor, or two young people in an older van. The key was the thrill of the kill. I feel Fowler/Deese were a 'practice' to test if they would get caught. They weren't, but aren't stupid to think RCMP could track them down in some way. Their next step to their plan was to steal a vehicle that appeared in good enough working order to make their escape out of BC, it was easy for them to kill Mr. Dyck for his vehicle. We don't know how much cash money Dyck was carrying. I feel the boys left Port Alberni with say a couple thousand dollars jointly, however gas is expensive here and driving a truck probably cost them 700.00 just to drive up north, (let alone ferry fees etc). Most of their money I feel has gone into fuel for the vehicles. When the money started running out at Split lake, they got their last 20.00 in the tank and drove it as far as it could go.
Not to be rude at all but I’m just saying the truth here-of ANY murder to date that’s happened between fort Nelson and hot springs, I believe none have ever been solved by the rcmp. Maybe 1, but that’s it. And there has been a few. I’m not criticizing them, I’m saying I don’t believe they are equipped to deal with a crime scene so far away, after a bunch of vehicles drove through the crime scene before the police got there. Plus there were many people who had been on scene (trucker, witness, traffic control) and I don’t think the men would have been caught ever if they hadn’t done what they did in Dease Lake. We have no resources anywhere close to us, let alone up that way. We have one airline that flies once a day, not everyday. It would have been a lot of work to coordinate to get the right people up there within a decent amount of time. My opinions, not facts. But the murders that have happened were nothing like this and nobody was ever caught. I think everyone in town knows who did them, but they couldn’t get the right evidence from the crime scenes.

except there is spotty cell service and no hotels....
It has been established Mr. Dyck went to study plants because he was a botanist and he was going to be 'camping'. I think there is cell service around Deese Lake but I'm not sure how far it reaches along that highway.

I must be a dummy. The only latest statement I've been able to find just say there are "no confirmed sightings"
Exactly. Not sure why some people here insist the Ontario sightings have been 'debunked' just because police have not been able to confirm them or capture them yet. No other Canadian province has been able to capture them either.

let's see if this will work

jess fedigan on Twitter

I can't copy & paste or screenshot but this media person published her email from the OPP (at link) stating that they have followed up on several suspicious vehicles, including the one earlier in Kapuskasing, none of which lead them to believe the suspects have made their way into Ontario.

To be fair, it doesn't sound like they have any evidence after the RAV4 burned though

Thanks!

yep no one has confirmed it was the Professor's vehicle

Thanks for the reply,

Do most agree that the RAV 4 belonged to the prof, but the RCMP have not confirmed?

If not, where do we think they got the RAV 4 from, and what did the UBC prof drive?

Apologies if this has been discussed thoroughly already - I have been following pretty closely but haven't seen many other theories about the RAV 4.

I finally realized what this seemed to remind me of.
DB Cooper. Differences of course, DB Cooper didn’t murder anyone, and no one really has identified him. But the escaping into the wilderness and disappearing so completely seems about the same. DB Cooper has been “disappeared” since 1971. This case may be Canada’s version. That would be very sad for the victim’s families.

Yeah I don't know what the deal is with the bearded guy, but I'm thinking RCMP has maybe been able to identify him and doesn't consider him an issue. I know there's been some speculation that the bearded guy is KM because he is probably shorter than LF and has a beard, but I don't think he really matches the description. The witness said the man was dark-complected and dark-headed. Granted, she saw him at night, but KM is quite pale-looking and sandy-headed in the photos and security cam footage I've seen.

I've also seen speculation the bearded man is LD, but I also don't think that's true since he was gray-headed/gray-bearded.

If they had identified him they would have let the public know. They always do. They won't necessarily say who he is, but they will say he has been located and ruled out at least.

At night, there are no street lights or anything and it’s pitch black at certain times in the evening. If the witness was driving by at 11:30, there is NO way she could say how tall the man was if he was standing in the middle of the road and the couple was at the van. IMO that’s not possible. I think she tried her best but if you asked me how tall was the cashier at the grocery store was today that I stared at for 20 mins while I waited and then checked out, I wouldn’t have a clue. I would try but it wouldn’t be accurate and that was hours ago, not the next day after being in shock, etc. Just my thoughts. I bet she got the vehicle description correct but the rest was a shot in the dark.

It has been established Mr. Dyck went to study plants because he was a botanist and

he was going to be 'camping'.
I think there is cell service around Deese Lake but I'm not sure how far it reaches along that highway.

[bbm]

It has? I haven't seen that info anywhere.

Exactly. Not sure why some people here insist the Ontario sightings have been 'debunked' just because police have not been able to confirm them or capture them yet. No other Canadian province has been able to capture them either.

read my twitter link to media person upthread

ETA: here it is:

jess fedigan on Twitter

Agreed! I think he's possibly been in denial about it for quite some time. I know his behavior has been inappropriate at times--like releasing that book when he did--but I still feel bad for him. That would be a horrible situation for anyone to deal with--finding out your child is accused of multiple murders and has disappeared and is being sought by police--but I think he is already emotionally very fragile and is not holding up well. I feel sorry for BS's mom and KM's parents, too.

I feel for BS's dad on a human level because I wouldn't wish wish this situation on anyone but I don't trust what he says or why. He stalked and harassed his ex wife though, then self- publishes a book where he gaslights her, and I don't trust his account much at all. I'm glad he's been staying out of the media lately and I hope he's being watched for his own safety.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
australianwebsleuth