Canada - Lucas Fowler, Chynna Deese, and Leonard Dyck, all murdered, Alaska Hwy, BC, Jul 2019 #10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Police also said Thursday that they were investigating a photograph of Nazi paraphernalia allegedly sent online by one of the suspects. Schmegelsky allegedly sent photographs of a swastika armband and a Hitler Youth knife to an online friend on the video-game network Steam.

Canada police search last known homes of teens wanted in nationwide murder manhunt

McLeod and Schmegelsky have polarising social media footprints.

McLeod's scarcely-used Facebook profile shows an interest in the Communist Party of Canada and the Young Communist League.

Similarly, Schmegelsky's has a post of a "Communist Version" of the Ghostbusters theme song.

https://7news.com.au/news/crime/luc...urn-themselves-in-to-canadian-police-c-362639

I will add that I have never seen two heterosexual men pose with pink hearts around them.
I think they were pink butterflies, and my impression was that it was intended as humour, and perhaps black humour if this was planned and they knew their social media would be probed. Can’t know for sure of course, but that was my sense of it.

Thank you Zella. I’ve been following this case since the beginning and it’s been really bothering me that we’re supposed to be on the lookout for these two based on a couple of photos or still shots from the video. I’ve been trying to find the description given by LE because I don’t remember reading about the mole, something that can’t be hidden unless he draws or glues on more facial hair. The question of his actual height really bothers me too. I’m going to Ontario’s cottage country tomorrow and I’m sure I’ll be looking for them everywhere I go. I think the LE should be putting more emphasis on their physical appearance.

Doesn't he just have to stop shaving? It would seem to me that he had a means of shaving up until the Co-op video.

It is really interesting that they didn't bother to change their appearance before arriving in Split Lake. I think they both have very cultivated appearances that they're quite happy with, and they want to preserve them. Unless they really do have a purloined cabin to stay in or a friend to help them out (which is of course possible), their facial hair should change. In one picture of Bryer from high school, I think it is, you can see he has a very very sparse beard, not one that is going to grow in all full (like Kam's would).

It's hard to believe they found a cabin near Gillam, though, that hasn't been discovered by LE or locals.

Anyway, be on the look out for an unshaven Kam as well. And an unshaven Bryer (who still won't be very bearded). If they had a razor after the Co-op video, they should have used it to shave their heads, as hair is so identifying.

Anyway, be on the look out for an unshaven Kam as well. And an unshaven Bryer (who still won't be very bearded). If they had a razor after the Co-op video, they should have used it to shave their heads, as hair is so identifying.

A normal razor used to shave your face will not do well if you just tried to shave your head. Way too much hair. Typically you'd use clippers to trim down if you were going to try to shave your head with a razor.

A normal razor used to shave your face will not do well if you just tried to shave your head. Way too much hair. Typically you'd use clippers to trim down if you were going to try to shave your head with a razor.
Maybe they found an abandoned cabin out there and got their hands on some scissors? Or they brought 1 along or found 1 in LD's gear? Anything is possible.

How does this explain the fact that Dad went to the effort to put quotes around the word "there" in his text message (which he showed to the camera).

IMO I took it as the dad didn’t really know where they were going, like not a physical set end place so he added the quotes with “there” because he did not know where “there” actually was.

If the allegations against Schmegelsky and McLeod are true, Arntfield says they would find themselves in the company of the rarest of killers: couples who form a bond through killing.

The relationship is not necessarily sexual as most people understand it, but it is intimate.
"The thought is that even friends or family members — while it may not be an overt sexual attraction to it, there is a disordered intimacy, in this case some kind of homicidal bromance that gets formed and galvanized with each killing."

The only thing that I question in his article is that by all accounts and purposes these two formed that close of a bond when they were much younger. Which could be a result of a young Kam seeing what young Bryers home life was like (if Bryers dad and the neighbours account were accurate), especially if Kam has a home life that was full of security.

<modsnip: quoted post was removed>

RCMP continue search for suspects in three B.C. slayings
"The teens have Facebook pages under their own names and both are linked to an account called “Illusive Gameing.” That username, complete with the misspelling, also shows up on YouTube, as well as video-game networks Twitch and Steam. The accounts share similar imagery and themes, including the Communist icon, far-right politics, sexualized Japanese anime and the survivalist video game Rust.
This photo was sent by an account, believed to be owned by Bryer Schmegelsky, to an online Steam user. The photos were reportedly sent in the fall of 2018 but the user said he stopped playing online games with Mr. Schmegelsky earlier this year after he continued to praise Hitler’s Germany.
"The banner image for the Illusive Gameing YouTube account features a modified Soviet flag, but its profile picture is the heraldic eagle of Hitler’s Germany. The page was active as of six months ago.

Steam accounts linked to Mr. Schmegelsky and Mr. McLeod were last active a week before their pickup truck was found on fire on B.C.'s Highway 37.

A Steam user confirmed to The Globe and Mail that he talked to Mr. Schmegelsky regularly online. He recalled Mr. McLeod joining their chats as well.
m The Globe is not identifying, provided photos sent by an account believed to be owned by Mr. Schmegelsky, showing him in military fatigues, brandishing what appears to be an airsoft rifle – which fires plastic pellets. Another photo shows a swastika armband, and yet another features Mr. Schmegelsky in a gas mask. The photos were reportedly sent in the fall of 2018, but the user said he stopped playing online games with Mr. Schmegelsky earlier this year after he continued to praise Hitler’s Germany.

One account connected to the teens uses the logo of the Azov Battalion, a far-right Ukrainian militia that has been accused of harbouring sympathies to neo-Nazis. Another account claims to be located in Russia, near Moscow, and belongs to several groups for fans of sexualized Japanese animation. That account also used the heraldic eagle of the Nazis."

Last edited by a moderator:
The only thing that I question in his article is that by all accounts and purposes these two formed that close of a bond when they were much younger. Which could be a result of a young Kam seeing what young Bryers home life was like (if Bryers dad and the neighbours account were accurate), especially if Kam has a home life that was full of security.

Don't these bonds also run deep into people's personalities, though? I know my childhood, lifelong friendships do. It's true that I share certain family dynamics with the one person who remained very important in my life, and that her life was difficult in ways that mine was not. I did feel like a rescuer and that still colors our dynamic.

Another big set of factors (poorly researched imo) have to do with peer and generational dynamics. In the case of Kam and Bryer, their online group dynamics deserve study (if possible, by people who are interested in such things). If it is true that Bryer was deliberately using personal information to mock and possibly control in-game enemies (as opposed to in-game friends) that would be interesting to know. Many people sublimate their real world anger into online activities.

But Kam and Bryer made a decision to go offline and rapidly headed northward into a more remote area, almost immediately engaging in murderous violence. In real life. I am one of those who thinks they did not plan a killing spree together, but I think they had criminal intent (to steal) and had to have an understanding of some kind about that. It could be a deep understanding made over many years, in game and in their survivalist play.

At any rate, they may have had reasons to head toward a joint suicide pact that go well beyond survivalism or gaming. Definitely rooted in their interpersonal dynamics.

Don't these bonds also run deep into people's personalities, though? I know my childhood, lifelong friendships do. It's true that I share certain family dynamics with the one person who remained very important in my life, and that her life was difficult in ways that mine was not. I did feel like a rescuer and that still colors our dynamic.

Another big set of factors (poorly researched imo) have to do with peer and generational dynamics. In the case of Kam and Bryer, their online group dynamics deserve study (if possible, by people who are interested in such things). If it is true that Bryer was deliberately using personal information to mock and possibly control in-game enemies (as opposed to in-game friends) that would be interesting to know. Many people sublimate their real world anger into online activities.

But Kam and Bryer made a decision to go offline and rapidly headed northward into a more remote area, almost immediately engaging in murderous violence. In real life. I am one of those who thinks they did not plan a killing spree together, but I think they had criminal intent (to steal) and had to have an understanding of some kind about that. It could be a deep understanding made over many years, in game and in their survivalist play.

At any rate, they may have had reasons to head toward a joint suicide pact that go well beyond survivalism or gaming. Definitely rooted in their interpersonal dynamics.

Exactly, that bond was there long before any killing and I believe it was a very strong one.

Exactly, that bond was there long before any killing and I believe it was a very strong one.
Agreed! That's one of the things that has stood out to me. I'm familiar with several murderous duos but none of the ones I know of have been best buds since childhood. Those others still formed very close bonds in what was a much shorter period of time versus a strong friendship that seems to have lasted since elementary school.

Especially with BS being an only child, I'm sure they probably regard each other as brothers.

<modsnip: quoted post was removed>

... given the time between them leaving home and their first known crime (at the van), they were practically looking for any opportunity to start their new lives as outlaws. That makes them opportunists more than anything, and that fits their entire pattern of known behavior since that night.

The one guy (now deceased, I believe) who sets out to be an outlaw in Humboldt County, California (and is so candid on video in Murder Mountain) shows just how appealing "being an outlaw" is to some people. In my own work with local gangs in SoCal (mostly with convicted members), many were drawn in by the thrill of being an outlaw. One described his first theft (of a bicycle), in the presence of two other boys, who then formed the kernel of his "gang" until they could be drawn into a real gang. They opportunistically stole all kinds of things (money from cars, bikes, skateboards, sweatshirts, baseball caps, phones, backpacks...things increasingly in value as they got older). Other people who stole as middle schoolers report backing off from crime, but these guys didn't. They gradually got slightly better at their thievery (again, I was speaking with someone who had been caught).

The one man who would talk to me about his murder conviction (under the felony murder rule) was absolutely not planning to be part of a murder the night it happened. I don't think any of them were (someone else has published interviews with the actual killer).

Last edited by a moderator:

I suspect that part of their motivation was to ‘punish’ their parents...

I’m curious about the publication ban on the paperwork filed for the second degree murder charges. Is it unusual for it to have a publication ban on it, that seems to have been for one day only? Or is that something typically done?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member