Canada - Lucas Fowler, Chynna Deese, and Leonard Dyck, all murdered, Alaska Hwy, BC, Jul 2019 #12

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
He may have had a crappy childhood but I think he had sufficient resources to choose between good and evil and he chose evil. He and Kam made the conscious choice to give in to their dark and murderous impulses instead of fighting them. JMO.

That's pretty much what I said: crappy parents or loving parents, the kids will make their own decisions, good or bad, it is their choice.

Inquests - Province of British Columbia

An inquest may be held if the Chief Coroner determines that it would be beneficial for: addressing community concern about a death, assisting in finding information about the deceased or circumstances around a death, and/or drawing attention to a cause of death if such awareness can prevent future deaths.

I think all of the above apply.

I think that it is highly unlikely that there will be an inquest into these deaths, and I suspect that the families would be dead opposed. There is nothing mysterious about what happened and no big public policy lessons to be learned for the future.

https://twitter.com/MercedesGlobal/status/1159234626096963589

"Internal broadcast to all @RCMP members from @CommrRCMPGRC Lucki provided by a security source to @globalnews addressing the discovery of the remains of Bryer Schmegelsky and Kam McLeod #RCMP "

Pictures of the internal document at link. (Sorry, I'm not currently savvy enough to figure out how to attach them as files here.)

Global news says the bodies were near the shoreline.
So drowned after capsizing in rapids?

I was replying to your comment: "Yes, parents need to do better in many cases".
What I said is: no matter how good and well- meaning the parents are, their kids have a mind of their own and will do as they please, whether it is skip school, smoke dope, kill people or whatever they fancy.

Yes, you are right about that.
There are some families who have difficulty with even younger kids than this pair.
And some of the influences of online communities and 'friends' don't help at all.
My close friend is a middle school teacher and has encountered very troubled students from seemingly good families.

question for ppl with law experience.. would the publication ban on the murder charges for LD remain even after these suspects are confirmed to be deceased ? meaning we would not know any of the evidence filed for the charges?

Unless they find evidence (possibly with the bodies) that is sufficient to result in charges against the 2 in the double murder, I don’t think LE will release details of potential evidence about the murders to the public. I heard Chris Lewis , former OPP commissioner on the radio this afternoon, and he confirmed this. They cannot release evidence and jeopardize a murder investigation, which will have to continue if charges cannot he laid. They will have to try and find the real killers.
From what I understood, the RCMP have already found evidence that is sufficient to result in charges for LF and CD. It was of forensic nature and they were/are waiting for it to be processed. Once they have all of the information they may release more details.

What’s interesting is that if they’d given themselves up they would have gotten life and been famous/notorious. If they died of hypothermia, they must have realised it was inevitable long before it happened. If murder/suicide, it strikes me as a somewhat surprising decision, and raises the question of whether there was a note or notes.

Caveat: If they died of hypothermia in the first 24 hours or so, it’s possible that it snuck up on them and they did not realise how much trouble they were in from the elements.

hypothermia does nothing to clarify thought or action and these two were crazy- not sure what they dealt with earlier in life. maybe worse things than we know.

Both families making it very clear they do not want to talk to media.

Kat Slepian‏ @katslepian
Here is the McLeod residence near Port Alberni. Our @AlberniNews editor @JournoSusie found several "no trespassing" signs up on the property. STORY: https://www.albernivalleynews.com/news/breaking-bodies-of-alberni-murder-suspects-found-in-manitoba/ … @BlackPressMedia #canadamanhunt #MANITOBAMANHUNT

EBZVOEEUcAAbPSF.jpg

EBZVOD_U0AAsAwS.jpg

EBZVOD_UYAAvH5A.jpg

2:00 PM - 7 Aug 2019 pt

Elena Rardon‏ @elenarardon
the family of Bryer Schmegelsky in Port Alberni is choosing not to release a statement at this time. @BlackPressMedia #canadamanhunt #manitobamanhunt

EBZLRHHU0AApv_q.jpg

1:16 PM - 7 Aug 2019 pt

question for ppl with law experience.. would the publication ban on the murder charges for LD remain even after these suspects are confirmed to be deceased ? meaning we would not know any of the evidence filed for the charges?

All that’s filed is the document laying the charge, which I would think is public. The police to not file supporting evidence when a charge is laid.

There will also be applications for search warrants with supporting affidavits. I don’t know what the status is of these, but they will eventually be public if they aren’t already. You can bet that journalists will go through the affidavits.

Last edited by a moderator:
I swore I heard an expert say the elements would not kill them up there. Winter for sure but not summer time. So many here are saying possibly the elements. Wish I could hear another "expert" I do believe water/food could have been a part of their demise .. I think strongly at the end of the day it was suicide.

I honestly don’t think hypothermia is the cod. It’s simply not cold enough, even if they were wet. Sleeping covered in deep brush also allows heat to be retained.

Nelson River looks wide and slow, how did they ruin their boat like that. Are the rapids I am not seeing?

a. there are rapids above the dam- 2 sets
b. not all that slow, IMO
c. do not know that they actually were in the boat
or what it looked like if/when they got/stole?/found? it

As soon as she started to speak I smiled. Yes very very québécois which is who she was speaking to ,,,, the people of La Belle Provence! No one would understand a word in Paris!

Mmm IDK -- I speak québécois and my wife and kids speak Parisian French; we understand each other just fine. Now joual is another matter, much closer to a local dialect, although by now quite a few words have crossed over into mainstream québécois (e.g., moé/moi). Franco-Manitoban is to my ears closer to the French spoken in parts of Provence than it is to other variants spoken here in Canada -- anyhoo.

This is an ending, I guess, but it's an awful one in terms of understanding what drove these crimes, whether they were partly planned/wholly planned/spontaneous, where they were headed, etc. It feels over, but unfinished, in a way I haven't often seen here. Several of my colleagues have talked today about feeling physically sick. I wonder what we'll ever learn now, and how the families of C and L will digest this news, in the absence of charges even.

Both families making it very clear they do not want to talk to media.

Kat Slepian‏ @katslepian
Here is the McLeod residence near Port Alberni. Our @AlberniNews editor @JournoSusie found several "no trespassing" signs up on the property. STORY: https://www.albernivalleynews.com/news/breaking-bodies-of-alberni-murder-suspects-found-in-manitoba/ … @BlackPressMedia #canadamanhunt #MANITOBAMANHUNT

EBZVOEEUcAAbPSF.jpg

EBZVOD_U0AAsAwS.jpg

EBZVOD_UYAAvH5A.jpg

2:00 PM - 7 Aug 2019 pt

Elena Rardon‏ @elenarardon
the family of Bryer Schmegelsky in Port Alberni is choosing not to release a statement at this time. @BlackPressMedia #canadamanhunt #manitobamanhunt

EBZLRHHU0AApv_q.jpg

1:16 PM - 7 Aug 2019 pt
They just found out today that their children are dead. I can’t even imagine how awful this whole ordeal has been for them as well. They had to have been holding out hope that they were found alive and had an explanation for all of this.

Just hearing the news and want to give Kudos to the RCMP and other searchers and anyone else who helped in this case.

Compared to other cases, they found the suspects pretty quick (although deceased). Some cases drag on for years before resolution and some never do get answers.

Happy they found what we believe to be them which should help answer a lot of questions eventually. And the locals in the immediate area can finally have a sigh of relief. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joe Cool wannabe