Canada - Lucas Fowler, Chynna Deese, and Leonard Dyck, all murdered, Alaska Hwy, BC, Jul 2019 #14

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Kennedy Deese, whose sister Chynna Deese was found dead along with her Australian boyfriend Lucas Fowler near a highway in northern B.C. in mid-July, posted a statement to Facebook on Saturday accusing Alan Schmegelsky of playing the victim.

While police were still hunting for the pair, Schmegelsky sent a 132-page book to reporters about his own life. He described it as a novelization of his son’s troubled life and his numerous encounters with police and courts and said he wanted to highlight how what he called a “broken system” shaped him and Bryer.

Kennedy Deese shot back that her own family suffered challenges but doesn’t “play the victim of a broken system.”

“There is no white flag of surrender for my family. We are not defeated by divorce, mental health, violence, poverty and socioeconomic constraints, domestic disputes, alcohol or drugs, social media and bullying, feelings of loneliness or disparities,” Deese wrote, noting that her sister rose to become the first generation of her immediate family to go to college.
Sister of B.C. murder victim accuses suspect’s father of deflecting responsibility

Interesting. So typically there are more details disclosed to the media by RCMP in murder cases?
We only get police news conferences in exceptional cases. It’s a pretty hard and fast rule that the police only formally make public what they need to to further their own processes with an eye toward protecting evidence and any eventual case. When details come in media stories, they could be coming from anywhere. Witnesses, family and friends, leakers from some involved agency etc.

Yes I've speculated on this as well. I even said a while ago that my husband was prescribed Adderall in his 20s (not exactly the same as Ritalin but similar effects) and had to stop taking it because he started having violent feelings and thoughts out of nowhere.

I feel like we could probably bet money on that drugs were involved. It just seems to make sense. First of all they usually are in these types of cases. Substance use can mean the difference between violent thoughts and violent acts, holding your tongue or starting something, joking about doing something really stupid like armed robbery and actually going and doing it, etc. I think when Bryer's friend told him "don't go out and kill somebody," and he said "I would never do that," he actually did mean it. Up until that point he was all talk when it came to violence. But drugs could be the missing piece that lowered their inhibitions just enough to push them over the edge into doing something terrible.

Also, two troubled oddball teenagers with a known history of substance use, out on their own for the first time, in the middle of nowhere where cops are unlikely to be around...are we really going to think that they stayed sober? Kam single-handedly driving halfway across the continent in three days...snorting Ritalin would certainly help with that. Their totally baffling and nonsensical decisions too. To paraphrase one of those "Meth: Not Even Once" ads, "Burning your car next to a murder scene to cover up the murder isn't normal...but on amphetamines it is." I'd bet El Chapo's entire fortune that they weren't sober.

On average, roughly 40 percent of inmates who are incarcerated for violent offenses were under the influence of alcohol during the time of their crime.May 15, 2019
upload_2019-8-12_10-21-29.png
Experience life without alcohol addiction. - Alcohol Rehab Guide › ...
Alcohol-Related Crimes: Statistics and Facts - Alcohol Rehab Guide

On average, roughly 40 percent of inmates who are incarcerated for violent offenses were under the influence of alcohol during the time of their crime.May 15, 2019
View attachment 198140
Experience life without alcohol addiction. - Alcohol Rehab Guide › ...
Alcohol-Related Crimes: Statistics and Facts - Alcohol Rehab Guide

Those are US statistics, in Canada:
  • 24% of offenders entering federal custody (2 years' imprisonment or more) report having been under the influence of alcohol when they committed the crime
Alcohol Abuse Facts - Teen Challenge Canada

Here’s a random news story from today regarding a stabbing. Police and paramedics acknowledge the basics of their interactions - police were called to an area, paramedics transported a man with serious injuries. It’s “reports from the scene” that make it a stabbing, with a boxcutter.

Man in hospital after being stabbed at Humber Summit townhouse complex

I would like to, but I can't find it. Searched yesterday and while I found a lot of references to it, I didn't find the book itself. I believe it is written as a novela and while it is likely not a Pulitzer Prize winner, it surely provides insight into how AS' mind works.

AS sent his book “Red Flagged” to reporters which he says is a novelization of actual events and fictionalizes some incidents.

He planned to self-publish this week but now does not intend to publish for sale. The book reveals new details of his troubled life and his numerous encounters with police and courts. He said he sent the book to reporters to highlight how a “broken system” has shaped him and his son. “My son and I have been treated like footballs. It’s time for some truth”.

He says in the book that the birth of BS on Aug. 4, 2000, was “an experience of a lifetime — the greatest.” The tiny infant became “embedded” in his heart in less than a second. “My life had just taken on a whole new perspective. I would do anything to protect him. Life was good.”

He said that his then-wife left him in 2005, taking BS with her to start a new life in Port Alberni and describes losing BS as “the worst heartbreak I ever experienced.”

He didn’t see BS between the ages of 8 and 16, at which age his son briefly lived with him in Victoria and they worked in construction together for a summer.

The owner of the Redford Motel in Port Alberni, confirmed that AS stayed there about once a month in recent years to visit BS and he last saw them together on BS’s graduation.

[More in the article]

Father of B.C. murder suspect pens book, details troubled life

Could the parents of the 2 suspected murderers also request/demand that COD of the 2 individuals (if they are deceased) not be disclosed?
I’m not aware of any legal standing families have in these regards that trumps the public interest. It’s more of a courtesy extended where possible and where appropriate. You usually see language like “out of respect for the family” or “at the family’s request”.

this series of murders cannot in any way be sheeted home and lumped in with school shootings, except on the very shaky ground that the ages of the perpetrators is similar. And, I suppose, the fact that they both had left school, which is , I gather, a trait, somewhat of some school shooters.

If you actually read the article, you would see that there are a LOT of similarities in their profiles, and the profile listed of school shooters. When I originally posted that article days ago, I mentioned that. Even though these are different types of crimes, I believe they have the same roots, and could have been prevented in the same way. And that goes for most forms of violence perpetrated by young people. <modsnip>

Also, school and mass shootings ARE often random in terms of their victims. Oftentimes the place where it takes place has no significance to the shooter.

it doesn't seem that research has got very far, the same old 'causes' are trotted out. The mothers is the first howl, usually, then video games, then horror DVDs , then the School, wherever it may be , then the brutality of teenage friends who pick on this sad child, then the 'system' and somewhere some one says 'what about the fathers?" and that's quickly moved on from, then the Government, then the voters, then the doctors, and then it's back to the Mothers fault, again.

The research on the subject is sound. The problem is apathy in terms of actually enacting change in society. For example, there are still major gaps in mental health care -- so far we have no evidence that these two ever received any type of psychological treatment. Determining what we need to do is the easy part and was already done a long time ago. Actually doing it is the part that requires effort and investment. I suspect, based on what you've said, that you have this conception of the world as being divided into the "strong-minded" and "weak-minded" and you don't think the "weak-minded" are even worth that effort and investment if they can't "pull themselves up by their bootstraps"...even if it results in a better and safer society.

Also, I haven't seen the vast majority of people blaming any mothers in this case...it's mostly been Bryer's dad that has been blamed. And in terms of most random mass violence, the causes I usually see talked about are lack of access to adequate mental health care, and easy access to guns.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m not aware of any legal standing families have in these regards that trumps the public interest. It’s more of a courtesy extended where possible and where appropriate. You usually see language like “out of respect for the family” or “at the family’s request”.

I also think it's more than likely a courtesy extended to families, who, for their own reasons, may not want the circumstances surrounding the death to be made public.

Seems odd that the RCMP would send out many public alerts asking the public to keep an out out for these two, only to release inaccurate information regarding their true physical appearance?
It did also seem odd that both these guys were apparently 6'4", weighing 169lbs....why 169lbs? JMO
Truthfully, I find it weird too that LE never corrected the information, but the fact remains that while the suspects were missing, the wrong name was attributed to their photos and the wrong hair color and description of facial hair or the lack thereof was included. It caused mass confusion on the brief thread devoted to them.

Like you, the suspects being the exact same weight and height made me do a double-take, but the issues went far beyond that.

I am not sure if LE received bad information or it garbled at some other point.

MOO

Last edited:
Truthfully, I find it weird too that they never corrected the information, but the fact remains that while they were missing, the wrong name was attributed to their photos and the wrong hair color and description of facial hair or the lack thereof was included. It causes mass confusion on the brief thread devoted to them.

Like you, them being the exact same weight and height made me do a double-take, but the issues went far beyond that.

I am not sure if they received bad information or it garbled at some other point.

MOO

So many oddities surrounding this case. JMO

I follow the Australian Institute of Criminology on twitter and apparently their research has found a strong correlation between the acts of making hoax calls and committing arson.

Do have a link for those?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member