Canada - Lucas Fowler, Chynna Deese, and Leonard Dyck, all murdered, Alaska Hwy, BC, Jul 2019 #18

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure you got an answer to your questions...I’m on my phone and it’s a lot harder scrolling through posts I missed.

I have no idea what sort of boxes/bags/backpacks Lucas and Chynna may have brought for their trip or how long it would take to go through it all. I suspect the murderers panicked and fled pretty quickly after the shootings. They did take the wallets and cash but didn’t find Chynna’s hidden passport.

They may have used flashlights but it wouldn’t have been completely dark. The sun sets at 10:30ish mid-July there but it doesn’t get totally dark that time of year...I think it’s called Nautical Twilight. It would be difficult to see but not pitch black.
they probably used their cellphone lights- easy to turn on the flashlight

Thank you very much for this!
This is the first burned truck image I've seen (and I've seen plenty) that matches what we see in the burned McLeod truck, including the inward-warped cab cornerposts.

The truck in your image was going downhill, and high framed on a log.... I wonder; if the impact speed was enough, would that cause the camper shell to lurch forward and damage the cab like that? If so, I suspect the McLeod truck was going pretty quick when it reached its burn spot, and encountered either a ditch or a rock.

If not, then it looks like a burning camper shell can do that to a truck.

One thing I noted was that the contents of the camper in the Shearing murders did not completely disappear in the fire. There are items beside the truck and in the bed of the truck. There are piles of ash beside the truck. Compare that to the burnt truck found near Dease Lake.

Shearing had shot the truck, BTW, but the fire did not destroy evidence of the hole.

It took me by surprise that Shearing had fled to the Dawson Creek area. He was arrested just a month after the burnt truck was found near Clearwater, B.C., and a month after the German tourists were shot to death near Chetwynd.

Before:

The Johnson and Bentley camper on a Montreal street. David William Shearing was denied parole on Tuesday, Sept. 18, 2012, for the 1982 murders of six members of a close-knit family he'd stalked and shot to death on their camping trip in Wells Gray Provincial Park.

The exact copy of the truck was taken on a cross-country tour to Montreal, thanks to false sightings of the vehicle. The story spread like wildfire.

Last edited:
I was watching a livestream of Canadian news on YouTube where the journalist said some coffee shop staff at a place he frequented called Kam "very considerate." I found that interesting wording from service staff, simply because I've been in the service industry and wouldn't even describe super nice/favorite customers as "very considerate." Polite? Yeah. Nice? Sure. But I found "very considerate" an interesting choice of words.

If I can add to the complete speculation about 'considerate': my step-daughter worked for a summer at Tim Horton's, the largest chain of coffee/fast-food-ish places in Canada (think Dunkin' Donuts, American cousins) and she tells me 'nice' or 'polite' are for the customers who smile and order respectfully, 'considerate' is for the customer who buses their own tables rather than leave their garbage everywhere. Take that for what you will. :)

If I can add to the complete speculation about 'considerate': my step-daughter worked for a summer at Tim Horton's, the largest chain of coffee/fast-food-ish places in Canada (think Dunkin' Donuts, American cousins) and she tells me 'nice' or 'polite' are for the customers who smile and order respectfully, 'considerate' is for the customer who buses their own tables rather than leave their garbage everywhere. Take that for what you will. :)
Haha Yes, that makes sense and would be a clear distinction between polite and considerate and echoes my own customer service experiences.

Also, thank you for explaining what a Tim Horton's is. I keep seeing references to it in Canadian stuff I'm reading but had no clue what it was. I kept thinking it was a department store. :oops:

Last edited:
I'm have to put my two bits in about Kam being called 'considerate'. I'm sure he was, and oddly I have to say he looks very likable, almost charming in some pics but in the video I just see a swaggery, dark, stoic person, JMO.

<modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm have to put my two bits in about Kam being called 'considerate'. I'm sure he was, and oddly I have to say he looks very likable, almost charming in some pics but in the video I just see a swaggery, dark, stoic person, JMO.

<modsnip>
Yeah I comment on the "considerate" bit because I find it interesting and have tried and failed to get a read on Kam's personality. I really don't doubt that he was likable--or considerate--in person. People who knew him keep saying he was, and I agree with you that he does look friendly in pictures.

That of course doesn't mean he didn't kill 3 people. Friendly, likable, considerate people can be killers too!

I don't really get a swagger vibe from the surveillance video, though. He looks really on edge to me. MOO

There is ample provision in the Westminster system, of which Canada is a part , to object and dissent from any conclusions reached, and this would be done thru the mechanism of civil law. That is, a member of , say, the McLeod family took umbrage at the final conclusions, they have the option to go thru the courts to have that rectified, or /and re visited.

Another way, a member of Parliament could instigate a Parliamentary review, based on solid ground for dissent, ..

Or, even a Royal Commission could be called for, where by Uncle Tom Cobbley and all are hauled into Parliament before a committee and grilled over hot coals by senators and Members of Parliament , etc.

It isn't a dead end, the RCMP report, assuming the Westminster apparatus is operative, there are avenues of objection and re hearing.
I have mentioned this before quite a few threads ago, but the BC Coroner's Service can also call for an inquest when they believe there has been a violent or unnatural death that is not explained fully and it would be in the public's interest to hear the details.

I'm pulling from memory here because I can't do all the research again right now, but I think the Chief Coroner would call a panel of five community members as a jury, they would hear all the evidence and possibly call expert witnesses, and the final result is a verdict or narrative to explain the circumstances surrounding the deaths.

<modsnip: politicizing>

EDIT: Sorry...thought I was skirting along the line there but didn't mean to cross it!

Last edited:
Totally agree with this.

<modsnip: quoted post was modsnipped>

That of course doesn't mean he didn't kill 3 people. Friendly, likable, considerate people can be killers too!

I don't really get a swagger vibe from the surveillance video, though. He looks really on edge to me. MOO

True, charmers can kill too and many murderers can lay on the charm when needed.

He does look very serious and on edge too, his eyes look dark and cold to me. I don't know, there was something about his walk that gave me a chill. I use the word swagger, it's just so casual and lingering or something - something about his walk creeps me out!

Last edited:
True, charmers can kill too and many murders can lay on the charm when needed.

He does look very serious and on edge too, his eyes look dark and cold to me. I don't know, there was something about his walk that gave me a chill. I use the word swagger, it's just so casual and lingering or something - something about his walk creeps me out!
I know what you mean--he has a distinctive gait, and I really can't put my finger on what it is. That stood out to me, too. I almost wondered if it was a limp, but I don't think it is.

What struck me the most about the surveillance footage of Kam was how different his face looked compared to every other image I've seen of him. Perhaps because he finally wasn't smiling.

Bryer looked so different, too, though I thought he oddly somehow looked more at peace than usual.

MOO

<modsnip>

I havent followed the many details of this case as closely as I would have liked, but was it said he was considerate, and this was after or before he had murdered?

I think any murder suspect who walked in any public place of business after committing murder or even before carrying out their murder plot, would definitely want to portray themselves as considerate, and certainly wouldn't want to come across as anything else.

Imo, both let outsiders see what they only wanted them to see, and not really what they both were.

It's obvious neither were considerate nor did either one value the lives of other human beings.

Spree killers are among the worst, imo, because they usually murder defenseless strangers just because they want to, and do so without one regret or remorse.

Jmho

I know what you mean--he has a distinctive gait, and I really can't put my finger on what it is. That stood out to me, too. I almost wondered if it was a limp, but I don't think it is.

What struck me the most about the surveillance footage of Kam was how different his face looked compared to every other image I've seen of him. Perhaps because he finally wasn't smiling.

Bryer looked so different, too, though I thought he oddly somehow looked more at peace than usual.

MOO

Yeah, Kam doesn't look so cutesy as he does in photos. He really looks younger/baby faced when he smiles. Bryer looked a bit like a zombie and maybe he did feel at peace after he surrendered to his dark thoughts and acted on them.

I havent followed the many details of this case as closely as I would have liked, but was it said he was considerate, and this was after or before he had murdered?

I think any murder suspect who walked in any public place of business after committing murder or even before carrying out their murder plot, would definitely want to portray themselves as considerate, and certainly wouldn't want to come across as anything else.

Imo, both let outsiders see what they only wanted them to see, and not really what they both were.

It's obvious neither were considerate nor did either one value the lives of other human beings.

Jmho
It was from before when he was living in his hometown, though people who met them when they were on the lam in stores/businesses said they were quiet and polite.

Yeah, Kam doesn't look so cutesy as he does in photos. He really looks younger/baby faced when he smiles. Bryer looked a bit like a zombie and maybe he did feel at peace after he surrendered to his dark thoughts and acted on them.
Agree 100%!

I think Kam may have also lost a fair amount of weight in his face in the past few years. Most of the pics of him are undated, but he has a fuller face in them than he does in the surveillance footage. Not that he looks overweight or obese, but his face is rounder-shaped. His face looks considerably thinner and really angular in the surveillance footage.

I also think he got his crooked front teeth fixed at some point, which is another possible clue about when photos were taken.

Spree killers are among the worst, imo, because they usually murder defenseless strangers just because they want to, and do so.

Jmho

I agree with you, they probably had their secret selves and dark sides that they shared with each other.

MOO
What amazed me was that he was just sauntering around like he had all the time in the world ... no rush, just taking his time. I didn't see a limp, though I can see what you mean about a distinctive gait.
And yes he looks completely different in the surveillance ... I'd have thought he was even older than 19 if I didn't know better. JMO

Agree 100%!

I think Kam may have also lost a fair amount of weight in his face in the past few years. Most of the pics of him are undated, but he has a fuller face in them than he does in the surveillance footage. Not that he looks overweight or obese, but his face is rounder-shaped. His face looks considerably thinner and really angular in the surveillance footage.

I also think he got his crooked front teeth fixed at some point, which is another possible clue about when photos were taken.

Ok, I thought it was just me that thought his face looked chubbier or more cherub-like! I had wondered if they were older pics when he was younger as well. I looked at the IG one of them together and he still has those cheeks a bit but I'm in line with you - he looks slimmed out or just different. He looks more masculine as opposed to boyish, JMOO of course!

What amazed me was that he was just sauntering around like he had all the time in the world ... no rush, just taking his time. I didn't see a limp, though I can see what you mean about a distinctive gait.
And yes he looks completely different in the surveillance ... I'd have thought he was even older than 19 if I didn't know better. JMO

Saunter! That's a word that I couldn't put my finger on lol, thanks. I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed. It seems a few of us have a similar impression of him in that vid.

Ok, I thought it was just me that thought his face looked chubbier or more cherub-like! I had wondered if they were older pics when he was younger as well. I looked at the IG one of them together and he still has those cheeks a bit but I'm in line with you - he looks slimmed out or just different. He looks more masculine as opposed to boyish, JMOO of course!
I had to put images of his face side-by-side to confirm it, and it really is quite noticeable when you're looking at several pictures of him in a row as opposed to isolated pictures in articles. MOO

All photos from MSM.
1st pic: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/teens-manhunt-homicides-mcleod-schmegelsky-1.5222515
2nd pic: Canadian teen murder suspects killed themselves with guns, police reveal
3rd pic: If you ‘inadvertently’ helped two suspected killers escape, please come forward, RCMP urge
4th pic: Police converging on suspected killers in Manitoba, although the pair could be moving east
5th pic: personal screenshot from this Vancouver Sun YouYube video of the store surveillance footage,

Attachments

• KM face evolution revised.png
    KM face evolution revised.png
    448.3 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors