CANADA - Lucas Fowler & Chynna Deese, and Leonard Dyck, all murdered, Alaska Hwy, BC, Jul 2019 #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
In British Columbia, the police need the agreement of a prosecutor to lay charges. The prosecutors’ test is higher than the Criminal Code of Canada test. With one charge and a Canada-wide warrant, there’s no need to hurry on more. The prosecutors and police can take their time. It reduces the scope for defence challenges later on.

That's true in other provinces as well. Police gather evidence, prosecutors decide which law has been broken and which charges to lay.

Just a guess ... on July 19 the suspects' vehicle was near a deceased man, he had no vehicle. The suspects were then seen on July 21 in a grey Rav4 alive and well. They were far from where they were supposed to be, and they did not contact family when they were considered victims.

One of the suspects looks similar to the bearded man, who is a bit taller than 6'3" Lucas, and who was seen accosting the murdered couple at 11:30PM on July 14.

Police then assumed that the missing teens had burned their own vehicle, murdered the man and stole his vehicle. They were suspects in the single murder. July 22, the burned Rav4 was found and the murdered botanist was identified through his vehicle. There are no charges for the murdered couple at this time.

I highly doubt that anyone pilfered the van with the two murder victims lying nearby.

Yeah. We see people stealing from crash victims in third world countries.

I definitely wouldn’t expect that to happen at a murder scene in Canada.

I too think this is very unlikely.

Good video footage showing the Gillam terrain, and yesterday’s rain there, but there’s reason for caution with this guy. From his description: “My other Twitter account just got banned”.

I'm cautious on twitter with everything I read/see, including media lol But it's quite obvious this guy is local and it is helpful to see the area to better understand what the RCMP are dealing with and also to see what the suspects are possibly dealing with. Watching the video of where the RAV4 was burned, I now have a better understanding of just how close to the road it was, and didn't know that before.

I think there are more places to hide there than what I originally thought. And lets just say they are on the move, what prevents them from going from place to place and the RCMP are just 'missing' them?

Getting their ducks in a row. This was a double homicide and I am sure there are lots of forensics etc. It is not uncommon in Canada to take awhile to lay charges and they all ready have charged them with second degree murder. The Dyck situation was most probably a more cut and dry case and easier to establish probable cause. Jmo

I don't think we have had confirmation, but the simple fact that it's more likely than not that they drove LD's RAV4 east made it much easier to charge them for his murder. IMO

Yes, that is why I was curious whether the port had more activity than normal with more ships in/out due to the construction. The port activity log which is public in most ports is something that I cannot find and I also cannot find any log maintained by the Harbor Master or even something from the Canadian version of Port Police/Coast Guard to get a sense of activity in the area from water craft.

But it also seems that the track work to Churchill has been an ongoing issue that could potentially slow down plans for grain shipments this harvest season too.

One possible reason for no port activity is because there is none considering harvest season is in the fall.

Andrew Kurjata
@akurjata
RCMP in Manitoba will once again be hosting another 3 pm news conference-- 1 pm British Columbia, 4 pm in Ontario. This has been a daily occurrence since the manhunt moved there.

Will post the livestream link when it is available.

Andrew Kurjata on Twitter

I hope reporters restrict themselves to information that can be made public rather than questions that cannot be answered and which result in an abrupt end to the press conference.

That's true in other provinces as well. Police gather evidence, prosecutors decide which law has been broken and which charges to lay.

Actually, that isn’t true in other provinces. That’s why I specified B.C. In B.C., Québec and New Brunswick, prosecutors screen charges before they are laid, but police unilaterally lay charges elsewhere and prosecutors assess them after the fact. See this 2017 CBC story on the issue: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/crime-charge-crown-attorneys-police-1.4178234

BC prosecutors use a stiffer test than the Criminal Code of Canada test, and with one charge already laid there is no reason to hurry on the others.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nobody is pretending.

It is quite likely they took their victims by surprise. If they are thrill killers as Matt Logan, the forensic psychologist and former RCMP hostage negotiator interviewed on CBC-TV believes, there was likely an element of stalking involved. IMO, only a stupid stalker would pick a burly trucker as a victim, in case something went wrong with the plan. Truckers are naturally wary in those parts, and many carry some sort of instrument to defend themselves. I'm not talking about packing heat, but there are plenty of easily-concealed devices for those long road trips when you have to stop and check brakes and tires. Some already have a plan in mind if needed.

These boys lived in a hard times logging and fishing town -- sorry Port Alberni, but it's true. They would know this. Don't mess with truckers on the Alaska Highway.

A "burly trucker." I'm not sure I would even call that a stereotype. Most truckers are not "burly."

And Lucas was a pretty big guy. He was clearly not chosen because he looked like a wimp.

So this line of reasoning is just completely wrong.

If it was a trucker that they came upon, broken down at the side of the road, it might be a trucker dead right now.

Mr. Dyck was chosen either because he tried to give them a ride, or they ambushed him when he happened to stop where they were waiting. It could have been anybody.

It’s not that hard a point blank range, even for an amateur.

I think these murders were up close and personal.
All the evidence cones were located on the front right side of the passenger side. 10-12 feet away from where the bodies were located.

A "burly trucker." I'm not sure I would even call that a stereotype. Most truckers are not "burly."

And Lucas was a pretty big guy. He was clearly not chosen because he looked like a wimp.

So this line of reasoning is just completely wrong.

If it was a trucker that they came upon, broken down at the side of the road, it might be a trucker dead right now.

Mr. Dyck was chosen either because he tried to give them a ride, or they ambushed him when he happened to stop where they were waiting. It could have been anybody.
Problem is you are thinking logically.

One possible reason for no port activity is because there is none considering harvest season is in the fall.

True enough. Grain likely will not ship for a couple months, but the operators are planning to accommodate inbound and outbound traffic, including non-harvest commodities. From the article: "Arctic Gateway is looking at shipping other commodities out of the port including forestry products, mineral concentrates, fracking sand and potash." Still, the salient point is that not much is happening at the port now. Something else to keep in mind, however, is whether the suspects know that.

Question for the posters. Has anyone actually been to the Alaska Highway, along that particular stretch? I have been on the Alaska Highway, but not to that location.
If you use the google navigation and put starting point Dease Lake and destination Laird Hot Springs you can actually travel the roads as if in a car. Its tedious because it's literally a small 2 lane road with nothing more than a few fire roads and or trails for hundreds of miles. All I kept thinking was how beautiful the entire area is. White capped mountains in the distance with plush green trees. Hopefully this helps. ✌& ❤

So, help me out here. The two suspects left British Columbia driving a white truck, right? It appears they would have had money at that point. Money, ID and credit cards may be missing from victims' van (only her passport is found). Van is burned, but searchable. Victims are found on the ground outside.

Then, white truck is found burned, many km from van, is that correct? Was the white truck also on a road or nearby a road?

Where do they first encounter Prof Dyck, approximately? They take his RAV4, but when they abandon and burn it, they don't take all his camping equipment.

There's a frenzied tone to all of this, of course, with strong suggestion of purely opportunistic targets, rapidity, etc.

LE has not, to my knowledge, said whether they got money from Prof Dyck.

The taking of money (and leaving of camping equipment) may be a big clue. The fact that they took their main computer(s) with them is troubling, I hope LE can recover something from that tower.

From CHEK news in Vancouver. From what I can tell MSM hasn't posted anything related yet.

CHEK News on Twitter

EDIT to include Tweet text:

JUST IN: @rcmpmb will provide another update at 1pm PST on the ongoing search for murder suspects Kam McLeod and Bryer Schmegelsky being carried out near Gillam, Manitoba.
Great!

1pm Pacific time
2pm Mountain (I remembered Mountain time!)
3pm Central time
4pm Eastern time

I don't have a link - so post if you have one.

jmo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member