CANADA - Lucas Fowler & Chynna Deese, and Leonard Dyck, all murdered, Alaska Hwy, BC, Jul 2019 #6

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone have any better information from this woman's report? There are very few details (again) provided by police. 'Heated exchange' with mystery man before couple found dead on highway
If there was a "mystery man" seen arguing with Chynna and Lucas on the night of their death, what did he look like, did he have a car? Have I missed this info here or is this "mystery man" the drawing with the cap that has been made public? Why are the police not also actively searching for him, as he was the last probably seen with these two murder victims and they were seen having what seemed to be an altercation? The police could also be searching security footage of him and tracking him down. If he has done nothing wrong, why, after realising that he was seen on the highway and seeing his sketch all over the news with a description (possibly) of the car he was driving, has he not come forward?

I think the chances of an unknown man having had a confrontation with Lucas and Chynna, then leaving and some other hostile person(s) coming along and killing them seems unlikely and questionable. I think the unknown man either wasn't having any altercation with them as speculated, or the unknown man was one of the suspects or a person involved in their murder. What are the chances that innocent people minding their own business would encounter two different hostile situations in an area like that.

There is no outrage in Canada because Canadians actually understand the terrain and the size of the country.

If American news outlets aren’t all over this, it’s because they are preoccupied with Trump and two American teenagers who have allegedly killed a cop in Italy, neither of these being stories that require trying to find people in a vast wilderness. Besides, American journalists probably find a free trip to Rome more enticing than a free trip to Gillam.

The RCMP haven’t brought in “help” from US and Australian police because the RCMP know what they are dealing with in terms of geography, have the resources they need, can draw on more resources if needed (there are 110o RCMP officers in Manitoba alone), and because of one other small matter - foreign police have no jurisdiction in Canada, any more than Canadian police have jurisdiction in the US or Australia.

But hey, bring in Crocodile Dundee, who no doubt will sort this out in a jiffy :)
<3

That's what I thought. They felt burning it would cover their tracks.
If they truly didn't want to be identified as suspects and wanted to remain missing persons, the biggest mistake IMO was leaving the body of LD near their burned truck. If as I assume, the RV4 belongs to him, that is most likely the way they tracked that vehicle..If they had taken his body and disposed of it elsewhere, possible they would not have become the suspects. JMO

All I can say is that I hope you are correct and that the RCMP has it all under control!

If you as a citizen are satisfied with the level of communication and information disclosure from RCMP then what outsider has the right to question the situation. As an outsider looking in the information flow it in general seems 'a day late and a dollar short' as it relates to public safety. MOO!

For me, all I will remember is how long it took for RCMP to put out to the public that it was dealing with a situation of 'gun violence' when it is highly likely that the assessement was made by the coroner as soon as the bodies were examined. Why the sensitivity about 'gun violence'? The Press Officer even seemed a bit hesitant when talking about the idea of 'gun violence'. Does 'gun violence' not exist in Canada?

Shouldn't unknowing tourists and local citizens have been made aware of the 'gun violence' situation in short order rather than being left to guess what happened?

Of course the territory is vast and Of course RCMP have extensive experience and knowledge dealing with the terrain but I find it hard to believe that the resouces of others cannot be used to assist in what is proving to be a very difficult and challenging manhunt. Resource sharing amongst LE happens frequently in complex cases and I'm curious to see if this case heads into Ontario whether things might change in terms of approach. But based on what you have said, probably nothing will be altered by the RCMP in terms of strategy and resources.

MOO

I would not be surprised if a lawsuit is pending.

All I can say is that I hope you are correct and that the RCMP has it all under control!

If you as a citizen are satisfied with the level of communication and information disclosure from RCMP then what outsider has the right to question the situation. As an outsider looking in the information flow seems a day late and a dollar short as it relates to public safety. MOO!

For me all I will remember is how long it took for RCMP to put out to the public that it was dealing with a situation of 'gun violence' when it is highly likely that the assessement was made by the coroner as soon as the bodies were examined. Why the sensitivity about 'gun violence'? The Press Officer even seemed a bit hesitant when talking about the idea of 'gun violence'. Does 'gun violence' not exist in Canada?

Shouldn't unknowing tourists and local citizen have been made aware of the 'gun violence' situation in short order rather than being left to guess what happened?

Of course the territory is vast and Of course RCMP have extensive experience and knowledge dealing with the terrain but I find it hard to believe that the resouces of others cannot be used to assist in what is proving to be a very difficult and challenging manhunt. Resource sharing amongst LE happens frequently in complex cases and I'm curious to see if this case heads into Ontario whether things might change in terms of approach. But based on what you have said, probably nothing will be altered by the RCMP in terms of strategy and resources.

MOO

First of all, I live in the United States, although I have spent a lot of time in both countries.

Secondly, I have nothing to add to my response to your first post, except that I think that this latest does not accurately state how the RCMP responded to the initial murders. Back four or five pages, there is a post from a B.C. resident who states quite clearly what the response was. Perhaps you would find it helpful to read it.

If you as a citizen are satisfied with the level of communication and information disclosure from RCMP then what outsider has the right to question the situation. As an outsider looking in the information flow it in general seems 'a day late and a dollar short' as it relates to public safety. MOO!

For me, all I will remember is how long it took for RCMP to put out to the public that it was dealing with a situation of 'gun violence' when it is highly likely that the assessement was made by the coroner as soon as the bodies were examined. Why the sensitivity about 'gun violence'? The Press Officer even seemed a bit hesitant when talking about the idea of 'gun violence'. Does 'gun violence' not exist in Canada?

Shouldn't unknowing tourists and local citizens have been made aware of the 'gun violence' situation in short order rather than being left to guess what happened?

MOO

I was encouraged by the reporters in one of the last couple of PCs. They are starting to seriously and kind of angrily question the delays/lack of info provided to the citizens.

First of all, I live in the United States, although I have spent a lot of time in both countries.

Secondly, I have nothing to add to my response to your first post, except that I think that this one does not accurately state how the RCMP responded to the initial murders. Back four or five pages, there is a post from a B.C. resident who states quite clearly what the response was. Perhaps you would find it helpful to read it.

MOO. This wonderful forum allows us to have different opinions.

If they truly didn't want to be identified as suspects and wanted to remain missing persons, the biggest mistake IMO was leaving the body of LD near their burned truck. If as I assume, the RV4 belongs to him, that is most likely the way they tracked that vehicle..If they had taken his body and disposed of it elsewhere, possible they would not have become the suspects. JMO
LE there is keeping everything so close maybe the rav 4 doesn't/didn't belong to LD. I have assumed it did but maybe it doesn't.

They came across Lucas/Chynna during the night of July 14 or very early morning of July 15.

They decided to kill the couple, for whatever reason.

Then they paused for 4 whole days, burned their truck, and murdered Prof. Dyck to steal his RAV4.

Then they drove far far away, avoiding major towns. No more murders as far as we know.

So it doesn't seem to fit either spree or serial killer pattern.
Makes my theory more plausible. Killed two people in the middle of nowhere, nothing connecting them to the crime, was reported they called and said the job plan didnt work out were making their way back in big loop truck started on fire, backtracked to the roadstop killed again stole the rav and then got the heck out of dodge asap. I think everyone is giving them way more credit as being "smart" JMO

This. I live in a Northern Ontario city of 160,000, and we JUST found the remains of man in the bush in the outskirts who had been missing since 1996. And that was off a road. The area here kept him hidden for almost a quarter century, and the Gillam area is exponentially more complex, vast and challenging. I think Canadians would have been absolutely amazed if there had been a quick resolution. The police would have needed extraordinary luck, or the suspects would have had to have personally fled into their arms

There are a lot of people expressing opinions that clearly have no understanding of how big the country is, what the north is like or what the country’s culture is about. Some of what’s being posted is so misinformed that it makes me chuckle, and I live in New York :)

I think the vehicle fires were meant to both destroy evidence/slow down identification and act as a signature for their spree. The fact that it hasn't happened since suggests to me that they either are no longer in a position to do it (on foot/injured/deceased), or they realize the heat it brings is a risk.

This. I live in a Northern Ontario city of 160,000, and we JUST found the remains of man in the bush in the outskirts who had been missing since 1996. And that was off a road. The area here kept him hidden for almost a quarter century, and the Gillam area is exponentially more complex, vast and challenging. I think Canadians would have been absolutely amazed if there had been a quick resolution. The police would have needed extraordinary luck, or the suspects would have had to have personally fled into their arms
There's a video posted on Twitter (from the same resident that's posted other videos) showing a man in Gillam walking into the bush. He takes maybe 5 steps in from the road and you can't see him.

The young men last Friday. The young couple left Saturday. So they both ended up on the same highway headed north.
I don't recall getting it any information prior to what both sets of people were doing before the murder scene. Other than the video of Chynna and Lucas at the gas station. But what about Kam and Bryer since they left Port Alberni?

Lucas/Chynna left Fort Nelson gas station around 8PM of July 13, and they probably spent the July 13/14 night nearby.

Their van broke down before 3PM on July 14, before reaching Liard River.

We know nothing about Kam/Bryer itinerary from July 12 to July 18, except that LE determined that they were at the Lucas/Chynna murder scene, sometime before 5AM on July 15.

I was encouraged by the reporters in one of the last couple of PCs. They are starting to seriously and kind of angrily question the delays/lack of info provided to the citizens.
Agree with you but other than a look of mild exasperation from the Press Officer after the first question there has been no change in RCMP communication. The second agitated question from the press the other day did get a bit of a scowl from the Press Officer but all it generated was a re-reading of the prepared remarks first in english and then in classroom french as if to simply punish the audience yet again for simply asking a question!

Let me write the news story:

"BC RCMP are cautioning travellers and residents along the Alaska Highway in the province's north to take precautions after an unidentified couple was found shot dead at the side of the road, south of Liard Hot Springs..."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member