GUILTY Canada - Nighisti Semret, 55, Rigat Ghirmay, 28, murdered, Toronto, 2012 & 2013

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Good points, Snoopster.

I agree, it is an odd time of day for this to happen.

From his disguise, I think we have figured that it did the job of covering his face, and may have made him look strange, but not to the point of making him clownishly suspicious looking.

The fact that it happened at that time of day could have meant that he knew her routine and stalked her.

Better for him then, than on her days off or on her way into work, because she would be tired and not as attentive or energetic and would be easier prey, one could speculate. JMHO.

The time of day also makes alarm bells ring for me, as it could suggest someone coming off-shift from the same workplace, and committing the crime, then being able to go home and sleep/drink/drug it off and rest without being visible to anyone.

Also, he could have indeed been partying, hitting an after-hours drinking hole somewhere.

That may indicate that he worked in the hospitality business too, as those workers close up at last call, and often want to drink or enjoy themselves after every legal establishment is closed.

Good points, Snoopster.

I agree, it is an odd time of day for this to happen.

From his disguise, I think we have figured that it did the job of covering his face, and may have made him look strange, but not to the point of making him clownishly suspicious looking.

The fact that it happened at that time of day could have meant that he knew her routine and stalked her.

Better for him then, than on her days off or on her way into work, because she would be tired and not as attentive or energetic and would be easier prey, one could speculate. JMHO.

The time of day also makes alarm bells ring for me, as it could suggest someone coming off-shift from the same workplace, and committing the crime, then being able to go home and sleep/drink/drug it off and rest without being visible to anyone.

Also, he could have indeed been partying, hitting an after-hours drinking hole somewhere.

That may indicate that he worked in the hospitality business too, as those workers close up at last call, and often want to drink or enjoy themselves after every legal establishment is closed.

Many hospitals and schools are close to victim's workplace, also many food places opening and various shelters possibly turning out or taking in clients.

First, I'd like to apologize for spelling Nighisti's name wrong in my earlier post. (It's too late to edit it.)

According to this video, LE said that the perpetrator was wearing a 3/4 length cloth coat, possibly a peacoat with a high collar.

In the video that dotr linked to back on Nov 9, Ross McLean suggested it might look like this:

vintage-pea-coat-on-ebay.jpeg

(when looking at images of peacoats I came across the same image that he used in his video)

If he wrapped the scarf around the collar you can see the dark collar sticking up and partially blocking his lower face.

If you go to around 14:25 on the video there is a good image of the perp's face and a pretty good image of the white and yellow scarf.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDNQLz3nQEM&list=UUoyhemqJDkjskcoxdkb5_wg&index=4

The poi is stylish in that pea-coat and long scarf- although the pants, wide at the knees are at odds with that "hipster/artsy/prep" look and more "sailor like" imo.
Maybe an injury necessitates the need for easy to slip on and off pants?

Unusually deep shadow .. nevertheless a shadow; and not an upturned coat-collar - it would appear.

HAL says, "the vivid colours are not induced or incurred through saturation-adjustment but rather through RGB manipulation." Saturation remained at level zero.

Bleeker_02 :: Villian_007_zps5e12e818.mp4 video by Rusty_Pennies - Photobucket

Bleeker_02 :: Villian_008_zps5da9617d.mp4 video by Rusty_Pennies - Photobucket

Bleeker_02 :: Villian_009_zpsd168fcc2.mp4 video by Rusty_Pennies - Photobucket

There is, what appears to be the perp's jawline, and chin-possibly appearing in this vignette/expose.

Bleeker_02 :: Villian_010_zps5e3bbed7.mp4 video by Rusty_Pennies - Photobucket

So HAL, are you saying that you don't think it's an upturned collar covering his lower jaw because the colour saturation isn't consistent with the same material as the rest of the coat?

If so, what if the 'collar' was backed by a slightly different material? Or, is it possible that the angle of collar and the fact that it is pointing up toward a light source changing the properties displayed?

Sorry if these are dumb questions, but I don't know much about colour saturation and image analysis.

We could expect to see a better-defined collar-edge -- were there one to be found. Instead we see (under intense enhancement) inconsistent "structure" more consistent with facial tone (facial feature)-induced colour-play than ostensibly; high-contrast, physical collar-edge.

The persistent margin -- defining the perimeter of the shadow region -- deserves closer inspection / consideration. Perhaps it's a camera artifact - manifesting itself between high-contrast regions (super-high contrast regions) - HAL is not sure.

HAL is suggesting a "dry run" as previously indicated.

Is there any chance this guy was wearing a fur-trimmed hunting cap?

For some reason I can't seem to get images of one to paste.

Some have a leather or plaid crown, and a fur trim that is often one piece, running from the brim on
down to low ear coverings, and around the back of the head.

Combined with a scarf or whatever he had on the lower part of his face, this may explain the motorcycle-helmet type appearance shown in the grainy camera images. It would explain that highly defined "border" outline that shows up...white or cream fur trim.

Again, I wish I had an image.

Also, a CTV news report tonight revealed the presence of DNA under Ms. Semret's fingernails and apparently in her purse, which the killer had rifled through. Police are in the process of trying to figure out whether the DNA is in the National DNA data bank.

The report is not archived yet, I have looked.

Then again, I just looked about 5 times and I am also seeing a black ball cap. This video is like looking at cloud formations...you see and interpret things differently from others, and you may not "get" what others see until it hits you after studying it more intensely.

What would be interesting and useful is if the police would have a sketch artist draw an image of him based on what they think he was wearing. They don't even need a face, just an image of a male body in whatever clothes/hat they think he might have worn.

The scarf sure looks like a keffiyeh to me. It is often worn wrapped all over the head. The pattern can even produce a distinctive dark spot like the one seen in the front of the killer's scarf. And there is the possible symbolic connection to al-Shabaab or another Arab or Muslim cause.

In the last couple of frames you can see a distinctive checker pattern at the back of the scarf: http://www.torontopolice.on.ca/files/hom432012/

Regarding the skin tone, I wonder if the cameras are picking up a combination of visible light and infrared light, the way a phone camera does.

Another important feature I think is the timing of the attack to coincide with rain, making concealing clothes less conspicuous, as well as distracting people, and providing cover in itself.

I'm not sure the glossy sheen of the cap indicates leather, since it was raining. What really struck me about the killer's clothes was the unusually baggy pants.

I didn't see much damage to the victim's jacket, which would indicate the killer went right for the throat, suggesting some training or experience.

Everything about this is consistent with a state-sponsored, extraterritorial assassination, in which case the hitman has likely left the country or is based outside Canada (Detroit?).

The sophisticated watch worn outside the sleeve suggests something such an operative (or wanna-be) would do.

http://www.newstalk1010.com/News/localnews/blogentry.aspx?BlogEntryID=10501018
"There's hope that forensic testing could give investigators a solid lead.

"DNA has been found under Semret's fingernails. Her nail clippings are being tested by the Center for Forensic Sciences.

It may be too soon to call this a breakthrough through. Detective Sergeant Gary Giroux says often murder victims have their own DNA under their nails because of blood at the scene.

Giroux says if testing shows there's foreign DNA embedded beneath Semret's nails, especially a male profile, he'll consider releasing that information.

The results could take months to come back, but Giroux has been keeping pressure on the center since Semret's murder is high profile. The clothes Semret was wearing & the bag & umbrella she was carrying when she died are also being tested.

Despite a land, dumpster & sewer search of Cabbagetown, police haven't found the knife used to kill Semret. Based on the way surveillance video shows the killer ran off, Giroux suspects he took the blade with him"

Related?
http://www.680news.com/2013/03/01/police-identify-suspect-in-davisville-subway-station-stabbing/
"Cassim Celani Cummings, 20, of Toronto is being sought on attempted murder and other charges, including aggravated assault and assault with a weapon.

The victim, a 45-year-old man, was heading southbound on the Yonge line at around 10:30 p.m. when he was stabbed in the neck in police have called an “unprovoked attack.”

Arrested! Maybe this guy can shed light on the case.
http://www.thestar.com/news/crime/2013/03/01/police_arrest_suspect_in_ttc_subway_stabbing.html

Do not think this older newslink has been posted ..
BBM

http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/1...woman-murdered-in-gruesome-downtown-stabbing/

"Then next thing you know my buddy Dave heard the scream. He comes running over, he whacks the guy with the umbrella
Peering out from under a tree, he said he witnessed a terrifying scene: A man plunging a knife at least 10 times into a woman.

“I lost track after 10,” Mr. Down said.

He said he heard the assailant talk to his victim, telling her “I’m going to stab you to death and I’m going to have sex with your corpse

“Then next thing you know my buddy Dave heard the scream. He comes running over, he whacks the guy with the umbrella. He drops the blade. Buddy picks up blade, the blade is like that,” he said, separating his hands about a foot and a half apart, “with jagged edges.”

Do not think this older newslink has been posted ..
BBM

http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/1...woman-murdered-in-gruesome-downtown-stabbing/

"Then next thing you know my buddy Dave heard the scream. He comes running over, he whacks the guy with the umbrella
Peering out from under a tree, he said he witnessed a terrifying scene: A man plunging a knife at least 10 times into a woman.

“I lost track after 10,” Mr. Down said.

He said he heard the assailant talk to his victim, telling her “I’m going to stab you to death and I’m going to have sex with your corpse

“Then next thing you know my buddy Dave heard the scream. He comes running over, he whacks the guy with the umbrella. He drops the blade. Buddy picks up blade, the blade is like that,” he said, separating his hands about a foot and a half apart, “with jagged edges.”

That's horrifying and totally unbelievable!
:what:

Who is this guy, "Mr. Down"??

I recall reading that at the beginning of the investigation.

If the killer did in fact say this, it could lead down a couple of different paths.

One, a random sex killing that was interrupted, or a revenge or jealousy inspired murder with an extremely high level of anger on the killer's part.

From the article, I gathered that Mr. Down is a street person, or at least lives a similar lifestyle. It mentions in the National Post Article that he is a recovered heroin addict, and builds racing bikes.

From what I gather, the police have reservations about the story these men were telling regarding what transpired and what they did.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atriumproperties
Back