CANADA Canada - Samuel Lottery, 17, London, Ont, 19 Jan 1996

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
rbbm.

The family is unusual in that they do not seem to be looking for answers in Sam's murder, are they terribly afraid of the perp/s, or is it fear for the church members?
It would be nice if other photos of Sam were released, ita, the pic we do have seems particularly somber, surely there are some of the happy-go-lucky Sam, engaged in the activities he loved.

Agree on both points. It IS unusual that Samuels' parents never made any appeals or put up any fuss. IIRC one LFP article stated that Samuels' mother was approached for interview & she declined to comment. Fear will do things to a person. It can be paralyzing. Add religion to the mix & I could see how a mother could just shut down. Especially if she had any suspicions or knowledge.

27 Gunn Street was/is not a very large building or property. Therefore, Pillar Of Fire couldn't have had a very large following. Therefore, a small pool of suspects. I would not be surprised if one day, LE solves this case & it's a member of POF church.

Bumping with news item that caught my attention, although not related, noting here because this family is also from Jamaica, lived in Toronto, and have returned to Jamaica. Thinking of the girlish and old-fashioned, imo. stationary.
They claimed to be very religious, unusual deaths seem to occur where they go.

imo, speculation, just throwing this out there..

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...irl-8-months-Feb-2008&p=12270939#post12270939

Is there a gang that uses flowers as symbols, what else could they mean?
rbbm.
https://www.londonpolice.ca/en/about/Unsolved-Murders.aspx
The paper used to write this letter contained a number of unique images.
This copy of the letter has had the contents removed. The pictures on the paper however are disti
Stationary-Sam-Lottery.jpg
nct.
attachment.php

Attachments

• Stationary-Sam-Lottery.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 50
I went to Beal at the same time as Sam. I did not know him but would see him and his brother around. This was quite some time ago so my timeline is foggy. This happened before he was missing (not sure of how long). I was having lunch at Hi-Lunch next to the school when Sam or his brother (not sure if they are twins but they look very similar) ran into the diner screaming for help and that "they were trying to get him". He was very frantic, but ended up running out of the diner.
It's always bothered me. I wish there was a way for this case to get more exposure and finally get justice for Sam!

I went to Beal at the same time as Sam. I did not know him but would see him and his brother around. This was quite some time ago so my timeline is foggy. This happened before he was missing (not sure of how long). I was having lunch at Hi-Lunch next to the school when Sam or his brother (not sure if they are twins but they look very similar) ran into the diner screaming for help and that "they were trying to get him". He was very frantic, but ended up running out of the diner.
It's always bothered me. I wish there was a way for this case to get more exposure and finally get justice for Sam!
Welcome to Ws Buttertart!

As, so did I. An played on the same bball team. We used to call him "Pinky" bc of his lips. Haaaaaaaaaaa! He was a good kid, and his death was just awkward.
He was not,"in the streets", he was in no GANG, an had no enemies, at least, to that extant. But we do not need myths added, dude. Are school, and his crowd would not let anything happen to him, he was safe at Beal. This case did/does deserve more coverage, but that is on his Family. Who, I also know. So, this is hard. But, at this point, it has to be some one very close to HIM. You, could even say "family". Or, the most random act ever committed; but that also does not hold, simply bc of the letters.

As, so did I. An played on the same bball team. We used to call him "Pinky" bc of his lips. Haaaaaaaaaaa! He was a good kid, and his death was just awkward.
He was not,"in the streets", he was in no GANG, an had no enemies, at least, to that extant. But we do not need myths added, dude. Are school, and his crowd would not let anything happen to him, he was safe at Beal. This case did/does deserve more coverage, but that is on his Family. Who, I also know. So, this is hard. But, at this point, it has to be some one very close to HIM. You, could even say "family". Or, the most random act ever committed; but that also does not hold, simply bc of the letters.

Hi 1481 welcome,

I have always thought that the killer was someone close to the church who also became very close with Sam's family.

Thank you @Buttertart and @1481...for speaking up about Sam.
If only we could find out what happened to him.

(and thanks to dotr, as usual, for trying to find various leads in so many Canadian cases!)

Nothing new, but it was still nice to see Sam's case mentioned in the news today.
http://torontosun.com/news/local-ne...cide/wcm/83b23ab3-cfdb-4d65-ac3a-825d9c859d51
May 30 2018
"Unsolved London homicides over the last 20 years

May 8, 2009: Anthony Manning, 39, found shot to death inside the bathroom of a Cleveland Avenue apartment. Police arrested two men but later released them without charges.

March 24, 2009: Lisa Johnson-Leckie, 25, found dead in her Southdale Road apartment by her common-law husband. Police never released the cause of death.

Jan. 8, 1996: Sam Lottery, 18, goes missing while returning to his family’s White Oaks home. The teen’s bones were later found in the Thames River between 1997 and 2008. Police ruled his death a homicide in 2009."

I saw this episode recently and my heart skipped. Amazing to see new posters have come forward to share what they remember. It might take some time but the truth will come out.

One point: In the Criminally Listed episode, there is a photo of Samuel wearing a white visor style of hat but in the photo shown on page 9, there is no visor in the picture. Is it possible someone removed the hat or photoshopped it out? Back then, I'm not even sure if that technology existed? However Beal was/is a "technical school" and had different departments, a large art department and photo/broadcasting/tech department as well. Maybe someone from the yearbook committee or class photographer would know something?

So I live in London and attended H B Beal and never heard anything of Sam in the halls of the school. (Which I thought I would because it's still an unsolved murder) Although I came across it and I've been interested in it ever since. It stumps me every angle I look at it. This case is what drove me to get into the criminology field of work.

The letter that were found and the stationary paper they're written on has the most confused. It seems like such a unique stationary paper, but yet no one knows where it came from. I wonder if they tried to do a handwriting comparison with Sam's friends and family to see if they had any possible matches, or anything similar. The police believed that Sam was murdered by someone he knew so that could have been a possible lead or two.

Also, I wonder why it took them so long to deem the case suspicious. I could see them possibly thinking he was just out and hadn't come home yet for a day or two (even two is a stretch) but anything after that should be ruled suspicious right away if there is no evidence of a possible runaway.

I would love to know your guy's thoughts on this case.

So I live in London and attended H B Beal and never heard anything of Sam in the halls of the school. (Which I thought I would because it's still an unsolved murder) Although I came across it and I've been interested in it ever since. It stumps me every angle I look at it. This case is what drove me to get into the criminology field of work.

The letter that were found and the stationary paper they're written on has the most confused. It seems like such a unique stationary paper, but yet no one knows where it came from. I wonder if they tried to do a handwriting comparison with Sam's friends and family to see if they had any possible matches, or anything similar. The police believed that Sam was murdered by someone he knew so that could have been a possible lead or two.

Also, I wonder why it took them so long to deem the case suspicious. I could see them possibly thinking he was just out and hadn't come home yet for a day or two (even two is a stretch) but anything after that should be ruled suspicious right away if there is no evidence of a possible runaway.

I would love to know your guy's thoughts on this case.
Welcome to Ws Rookie_ 12791, agree that the letter written on somewhat unusual stationary is both interesting and strange!

<ModSnip removed quoted post>
Worth noting that it's against TOS to sleuth family members and to outright blame the parents as the perpetrators is also against rules. Samuels' parents are victims who lost their child and should be treated as such unless we have information to state otherwise.

I don't agree or believe the parents of Samuel had anything to do with it. I believe the parents were/are devastated by what happened. The police failed them in not acting faster JMHO.

It also wouldn't make any sense to commit murder on your own child (why?) and then report their child missing, write "fake" letters to themselves and then contact the police saying they're being threatened. Also, JMO but I 1000% disagree with this idea.

Whoever is referencing "they"... There are likely more than 2 perpetrators involved (again, Imo). At the very least, more than 1 or 2 people know something about what happened. Whether or not that knowledge is enough to do anything with or not is a different story. How would someone go about doing that? I don't think that happens very often and I doubt LE would take it lightly.

After all this time, whoever might know something is either still too afraid to speak about it, has somehow moved on (how?!) or is possibly some kind of even worse criminal by now and in that case is likely unbothered by what they know/did. Hopefully someday, someone will remember something significant or someone will be ready to say what they know. Until then, we have the threads.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just because you can’t personally fathom someone murdering their own child, doesn’t mean it doesn’t happen. It happens more often that you’d think. And I can think of quite a few cases where the guilty party wrote themselves fake notes from the “perpetrator” to mislead investigators. Again, your unwillingness to consider something doesn’t preclude it from occurring.

<modsnipped against our terms of service>

Last edited by a moderator:
Sam-Lottery.jpg
On Friday, January 19, 1996, Samuel Lottery was reported missing to the London Police
https://www.londonpolice.ca/en/about/Unsolved-Murders.aspx
''On Friday, January 19, 1996, Samuel Lottery was reported missing to the London Police Service. His family never saw him again.

In March of 1996, a letter was found at the Pillar of Fire Church located at 27 Gunn St, London, Ontario. The letter contained information about Sam as well as a picture of him that had been concealed in his wallet.

In November of 1996, another hand written letter arrived at the home of Samuel's parents. The letter provided more information about Sam that was relevant to this investigation. The paper used to write this letter contained a number of unique images. An image of this letter is provided below.

In May of 1997, a number of human bones were located along the Thames River south of Blackfriars Bridge. In November of 2003, a human jawbone was located near the same location. Finally, in April of 2008, a human skull was found on the bank of the Thames River near Guy Lombardo Bridge.

DNA testing confirmed that all of the bones belonged to Samuel Lottery.

Our investigation has determined that the cause of Sam's death was homicide.

We know that Samuel Lottery was targeted by one or more people who were known to him and that multiple people have information about his murder

If you have information about the murder of Samuel Lottery please contact us.''
This copy of the letter has had the contents removed. The pictures on the paper however disti
nct.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper