CANADA - shooter in RCMP vehicle and uniform, 23 killed - Portapique, NS *suspect dead*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think he felt helpless due to the virus, and was angry about many things in his life. I'm sure that he factored into his plan that a murder spree when the world is in lockdown would inflict maximum emotional pain to many.

Yes I’m rather reluctant to blame his actions on the virus except perhaps it gave him time to reflect on his personal misery and as you say, it then became an opportunity to maximize the pain he inflicted on so many. Alcohol abuse may have also been a factor in his downward spiral.

“Neighbours told The Globe and Mail that Mr. Wortman was known to struggle with alcohol use.....”
Nova Scotia mass shooter was a denturist with an obsession for policing

Just reflecting.....this horrible tragedy gives me even greater appreciation when reading about the various acts of genuine kindness by ordinary people that are occurring on a daily basis, in addition of course to the devoted efforts of our health care workers.

He was solely responsible for his downward path... yet he gave no choice at all to his victims and that’s as despicable as it gets IMO

Last edited:
FYI

We've had a request to change the perp's name to initials only. As in any other thread, members are allowed to use the full name of a perp. We don't have the luxury of staff or time to handle this type of editing, but if members prefer to use initials only, either is fine.
Prime Minister Trudeau asked the press not to use the killer's name going forward to deny him the gift of infamy. I'll use initials for the gunman to try to focus on victims, survivors, and first responders.

I think he felt helpless due to the virus, and was angry about many things in his life. I'm sure that he factored into his plan that a murder spree when the world is in lockdown would inflict maximum emotional pain to many.
I really don't think the virus had anything to do with prompting his spree. It only meant that he had to get into the homes where his victims were self-isolating. The RCMP police car and uniform gave him easy access. Who wouldn't allow an officer in when he knocks at the door?

Yeah I really doubt he collected RCMP memorabilia in admiration and respect of the police force......then used his “collection” to impersonate a police officer and thereby trick his trusting and innocent victims with the intent to murder each of them. That totally turns upside down everything good which our RCMP represent and most especially ensuring the safety of

It’s more likely collecting the memorabilia, cars etc stoked his bitterness. An injustice collector describes it well. It resembles a dangerous maniac who silently amasses a huge gun collection over time and then one day goes for it, much like the LV shooter.

I really don't think the virus had anything to do with prompting his spree. It only meant that he had to get into the homes where his victims were self-isolating. The RCMP police car and uniform gave him easy access. Who wouldn't allow an officer in when he knocks at the door?
You raise a very good point. This sadly was the perfect time when folks are home isolating. Folks he purposely went after he would pretty much know exactly where they were. Home where they felt safe:(

Yes I’m rather reluctant to blame his actions on the virus except perhaps it gave him time to reflect on his personal misery and as you say, it then became an opportunity to maximize the pain he inflicted on so many.
Wondering if Covid affected him (we don't know that it did) isn't blaming the virus for his actions. That's like saying is wife is to blame if it's domestic, ykwim? The only thing to blame is the perp.

I'll drop the idea since it seems to upset people and I have no idea if the virus is a factor or not anyway.

Just trying to toss ideas on the table and we figure it out.

jmo

I don't believe the virus drove him to this but IMO his type have no respect for authority. I'm sure he resented guidelines our Government put in place. IMO he would have done this with no virus present. It may have been what prompted him to do it sooner than later.

Thinking out loud. Any other incidents lately that could have been trial runs? Fires? Unsolved murders? What stands out to me about this one is the mobility and numerous crime scenes. Jmo

My reaction to the killer's timing. I don't see Covid as a motivation. He collected expensive toys and owned multiple properties. Sounds like he lived a rather insular lifestyle anyway according to what I've read from people who knew him. So I doubt think financial difficulty or Covid isolation were factors.

IMO, Covid shutdown provided him the perfect opportunity. He was not expected to be anywhere at specific times. The emergency enhanced the trust people place in authority figures. He knew where his initial planned victims would be, and did everything to increase the odds that they would not be alarmed by posing as an RCMP officer. There'd be fewer witnesses around their homes because of the pandemic. The roads would be clear for a quick getaway.

The Covid shutdown helped him with targets of opportunity too. Fewer vehicles out but enough on major roads for him to target drivers one at a time. Not enough traffic so there'd be other drivers to witness in real time or to intervene.

The timing also allows him to get the most attention for his spree. And it amplifies the harm caused by denying the victims of those he killed the comfort of others as they grieve--especially important to him IMO for the domestic violence and RCMP victims.

Nova Scotia shooting: What we know about the alleged gunman
''The man identified as the Nova Scotia gunman who killed at least 19 people was charged with assault in October 2001, according to a court document obtained by Global News.

Gabriel Wortman, 51, ultimately pleaded guilty in January 2002 and was given a conditional discharge. He was also ordered to stay away from the victim and pay a fine, according to the documents.

His address listed on the charge sheet is 193 Portland St. in Dartmouth, N.S., and matches the address for the Atlantic Denture Clinic he owned, according to property records.

The documents did not provide any information about what happened during the assault or what caused the altercation.''

''Const. John MacLeod of the Halifax Regional Police confirmed to Global News that some of the department’s officers encountered Wortman in February.

He had reportedly reacted angrily when he discovered an unmarked police car had been parked in his denture clinic’s parking lot, in Dartmouth, and a minor argument occurred.''

"“Gabriel always had a sadness about him, but I was so shocked to hear that he’d hurt other people,” Candy Palmater, a university friend, told local news outlets on Sunday. “I don’t know what his later adult life was like, but I can tell you that at university, people weren’t nice to him.”

After Nova Scotia Shooting, Families Mourn as Police Seek a Motive

This is not an excuse, of course, but sounds like a similar pattern to other injustice collectors, imo.

jmo

"'There was some underlying issues that I think he had with his relationship. It was a red flag …. (What happened on the weekend) wasn’t a surprise to some degree, but not to this extreme."

Hudson mentioned being at a bonfire with Wortman, his girlfriend and some other neighbours around 2004 when there was some kind of altercation that left most at the gathering stunned. Hudson wouldn’t elaborate on the details, but said:

'He had an obsession with his girlfriend. Just being jealous about things with her. I think that’s where things got in the way …. She was a beautiful girl.'”

Who was Gabriel Wortman, the denturist behind the Nova Scotia mass shooting?

Does Canada have property lookups the way the US does?

in Quebec, most cities, you just eneter the name of the city with the word "Evaluation" in google search wich means valuation in english and you mostly get to the valuation website of the city, i tried with portapique and it does not work. i would be curious. i only saw 1 house for sale on (REALTOR.CA) Portapique beach road, but it looks like someone elderly is living in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PKBB