CANADA - shooter in RCMP vehicle & uniform, 22 killed (plus perp), Portapique, NS, 18 April 2020 #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It appears her name has been redacted from all media reports. in accordance to privacy legislation, a victim’s consent is required prior to the media publishing any names. I’m not sure how much information the RCMP can release about her relationship to GW without her consent.

As for the class action lawsuit, it might not be a farfetched possibility to wonder if the girlfriend/common law spouse is a beneficiary of the Estate although, we don’t know if there was a Will or not. But if she is a beneficiary, that’d be a reason she wasn’t invited to join the class action lawsuit, should it be granted legal permission to proceed. Civil suits are not resolved quickly in Canada.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova...ss-action-against-ns-gunmans-estate-1.5560702
“The class action is open to spouses, children and/or parents of those killed, those who were injured and those who suffered property damage.

The class action excludes the gunman's girlfriend.....

......He said it was important to move swiftly in filing the class action, so he can then file another action to freeze the assets in the shooter's estate....”

Some of his properties also listed the father as owner too. I cannot blame him for filing the lawsuit that is usually what happens. I listened to the Global news podcast about the case and the reporter mentioned that the girlfriend was hunted that night after her escape. Nothing but evil was done that night and the next day that’s for sure.

Is there a link to the Global podcast please?
If the g/f was hunted that night, his killings might have been at places he thought she likely might have sought refuge, inadvertently bringing his anger to the community. Anyone who had been kind to her might have been a target in his mind.
I write that but am not suggesting she is to blame in any way.
I wish the RCMP would hold another press conference............

Does anyone know when the next police press conference/update will happen?

If the g/f was hunted that night, his killings might have been at places he thought she likely might have sought refuge, inadvertently bringing his anger to the community. Anyone who had been kind to her might have been a target in his mind.

I actually found it on this thread .. someone had mentioned it. I will look for it tomorrow morning. Yes I wish they would hold another press conference too. I realize that it is a huge investigation though. I am wondering if when she was being hunted if that is around the time when he killed the brother on the road.

here you go . just down this page a bit. The girlfriend is addressed right at the beginning.

One week after horrific Nova Scotia shooting, community still searching for answers: MLA

I will be well and truly shocked if he managed all of this in less than an hour from the time he left the get-togenther / party and assaulted his common-law. The only possible way would have been if he had the night of the 18th planned and ready to go. The car was on a property next to his house (I think). He would have had it loaded with his guns, ammunition, and stuff he planned to use for fires (or fires ready to be set). It seems he had to have put this stuff together previously, getting ready. Otherwise, he would have had to run around his shop (or whatever) throwing stuff together. Change.

*I guess one could start the clock from this point (assuming there was no prior 911 call). Now he has to go from house to house, spread out over a couple of kilometres (perhaps shooting, and then going back to torch), go into the house that he went into looking for the Blair children, look for Ellison who fled to the bush for a minute, and make his exit. I suppose I can imagine that took place in less than an hour.

It occurs to me that the first call could have been about a domestic dispute. It seems the people who witnessed an argument between him and his common law earlier stayed at the gathering, perhaps discussing what had happened. Some knew his reputation. Perhaps they heard some commotion start up at * (above), thought it at his home and related to the earlier argument, and called police reporting it as a domestic.
I am way behind on this thread now because I got caught up in the Covid19 one for awhile.

One question, what does this refer to:

"...go into the house that he went into looking for the Blair children,..."

I missed that earlier. Why was he looking for these children? :eek:

here you go . just down this page a bit. The girlfriend is addressed right at the beginning.

One week after horrific Nova Scotia shooting, community still searching for answers: MLA

The segment about the gf, from Wait, There's More podcast, starts at aprox 3:05. This is the bit about GW going after her:

"...hiding in the forest, terrified, because she believed he was hunting her, and I've spoken to security sources who believe he was looking for her too."

I wonder if his motive can ever be fully known. But if he was hunting for the girlfriend in Portapique, shooting innocent people at random, burning houses, that doesn’t explain why he continued onward to other areas to add to the death and destruction. During the last PC Supt Campbell stated there were “other factors” involved when questioned about a domestic violence motive but didn’t expand on that.

When people suddenly go off the rails there’s not always clear warning signs or an even an obvious reason, as was the case in this tragedy which occurred earlier this week in Alberta.
'Why didn't any of us see something?' friend asks after Strathcona County murder-suicide | Calgary Herald

The segment about the gf, from Wait, There's More podcast, starts at aprox 3:05. This is the bit about GW going after her:

"...hiding in the forest, terrified, because she believed he was hunting her, and I've spoken to security sources who believe he was looking for her too."

I don't doubt her belief that he was hunting her, but don't we know for a fact that he left Portapique around 10:30 and spent the night in an industrial park?

I don't doubt her belief that he was hunting her, but don't we know for a fact that he left Portapique around 10:30 and spent the night in an industrial park?

Yes, so maybe his search was brief?

I think it is human nature to want to know the motive, to know "why", if only so we can say, if this action causes these results, how can we change it? Whether that is possible, is for better minds than mine.
If his g/f ran to others there for assistance, and they became victims, I can only imagine the guilt she would feel.
I do wish the RCMP would hold a press conference again.

Yes but who knows what the timeline is around this get together and the domestic assault and how early that started.

I had read about the Blair family. Apparently he had gone out to investigate and she stayed inside and hid the children upstairs to hide the children under the bed. He went in and shot her.

I was also thinking about the neighbour comment that the RCMP used in the last press conference. Could she also have owned a house there?

I think it is human nature to want to know the motive, to know "why", if only so we can say, if this action causes these results, how can we change it? Whether that is possible, is for better minds than mine.
If his g/f ran to others there for assistance, and they became victims, I can only imagine the guilt she would feel.
I do wish the RCMP would hold a press conference again.

Yeah I agree, it is human nature to want to understand. I imagine those very same questions are on the minds of all the family members of the victims. I don’t believe there will ever be an explanation as to motive because nobody is to blame but the perpetrator. It was well beyond a domestic crisis IMO - the impersonating of a police officer driving a replica police cruiser, killing innocent strangers along the side of the road, shooting police officers, switching vehicles owned by the victims...totally psychopathic actions IMO.

I am way behind on this thread now because I got caught up in the Covid19 one for awhile.

One question, what does this refer to:

"...go into the house that he went into looking for the Blair children,..."

I missed that earlier. Why was he looking for these children? :eek:

It was reported that the Blair's went (it seemed like to me) to go out of there house to see what was going on and the father was shot. The mother ran into the house toward or into a bedroom, and was shot. The children were reported to have hidden "behind a bed". He set fire to the home, and the children escaped to the McCully home (next door) where they sheltered with those children in the basement where there mother had put them before she was killed.

She knew he was dressed as a police officer. She probably had no way of knowing he had left at 10:35, and no reason to believe he wasn't hunting her.

I would think that once the first police arrived and saw multiple fires and victims they would immediately call for more police. Those officers would continue to arrive during the next couple of hours. So now, she is hidden in the pitch black, too dark to identify anyone, with people going around with police flashlights searching for victims and the killer. The fires were burning and smoldering. Ellison thought he was hearing gunshots. Likely ammunition continued to explode in the fires for hours during the night, which would sound to me, if I was hiding, like shooting - perhaps like he was holed up shooting at police.

If her injuries did not prevent her from coming out, if it were me, I would be frozen in fear, exhausted from it, confused, and perhaps unable to figure out what to do.

Sunrise in NS that day was at 6:22. She came out at first light, perhaps when she was able to see the police officer she was approaching was not him.

She knew he was dressed as a police officer. She probably had no way of knowing he had left at 10:35, and no reason to believe he wasn't hunting her.

I would think that once the first police arrived and saw multiple fires and victims they would immediately call for more police. Those officers would continue to arrive during the next couple of hours. So now, she is hidden in the pitch black, too dark to identify anyone, with people going around with police flashlights searching for victims and the killer. The fires were burning and smoldering. Ellison thought he was hearing gunshots. Likely ammunition continued to explode in the fires for hours during the night, which would sound to me, if I was hiding, like shooting - perhaps like he was holed up shooting at police.

If her injuries did not prevent her from coming out, if it were me, I would be frozen in fear, exhausted from it, confused, and perhaps unable to figure out what to do.

Sunrise in NS that day was at 6:22. She came out at first light, perhaps when she was able to see the police officer she was approaching was not him.

I obviously don’t know the area at all but she made it to a gas station which was a fair distance away. I cannot imagine the sheer terror. We also don’t know where she hid and how far away from everything she was. What he might have told her. He did say it was a violent assault so how badly was she injured. Ugh it’s all so terrible.

I obviously don’t know the area at all but she made it to a gas station which was a fair distance away. I cannot imagine the sheer terror. We also don’t know where she hid and how far away from everything she was. What he might have told her. He did say it was a violent assault so how badly was she injured. Ugh it’s all so terrible.

I must’ve missed that. Do you have a source stating the girlfriend made it to a gas station?

I must’ve missed that. Do you have a source stating the girlfriend made it to a gas station?

I read it on an article with Global news I think? It was discussed by a few people on this thread though with a link to the article. It wasn’t on the podcast though. Someone on here figured out the distance to the nearest gas station which I think was a couple of hours.

I hope the police will soon release what the gunman's connection to Debert, 2900 Highway 4 and Hunter Road is. These clearly were sought out locations.

Pure guesswork here but...... I would guess his preferred escape was not driving across a field. Given the arrival time of the police and his escape time, he fled in the face of authority. Debert might not have been his original plan but became his destination as he was familiar with it and the welding shop area. By morning he must have known he would be the subject of a manhunt, and I have wondered if his time at the Jenkins/McLeod home was to use their internet/tv news for updates. His eventual "escape" path was back toward Halifax in a stolen car so was the Wentworth activity an attempt to tie up police resources well away from his escape direction? More murders, more fires would slow up pursuit. Which leads me to another question.....if heading back to Halifax he could not have gone home.......where was he going?
All speculation of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member