Found Deceased Canada - Thelma Krull, 58, Winnipeg MB, 11 July 2015

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good points - I doubt #2, since being able to see clearly is a vital faculty when under attack. It's a good question about sunglasses - I have a pair I wear over/clip on to prescription glasses. In any case, on a sunny summer morning out walking in the open, I'd be wearing sunglasses.

One question I'm curious about is, it appears that the glasses were found by police during an intensive search of the area. It sort of surprises me that they found them - and not some passer-by who turned them into a lost and found. If you're looking for a woman, you'd be able to see from a distance she wasn't in that open area. What lead police to do such an intensive ground search of open fields?

I'm still trying to catch up but the mention of sunglasses made me think of something. Its possible that should wore sunglasses for her walk but had her glasses hooked over her collar. It was also mention it was quite warm and humid. I live in the tropics and I know that quite often I need to stop and defog my glasses. I can't see far in front without my glasses but when it is humid I can see far better with my crappy eyes than I can with fogged up glasses. When going on long walks I eventually get crabby at them fogging up and hook them over my shirt. They may have fallen off and she wouldn't have noticed if she were going at a good pace.

Also, great points about how the glasses could be identified. My husband wears glasses and I see him everyday and I wouldn't be able to recognise his glasses. I can't even recall now if they are blue, black, gold or brown. They are just generic glasses. I might be able to say, those look like ones he would wear, but that's it. The police would have to rely on the many finger prints he leaves all over the lenses.

I think the cellphone data that Arnie is talking about may be available live - the problem is, the cell phone companies don't keep records of it, probably no one does, it's just too much data when you consider all the thousands of phones every hour of every day. When police need to go back a week or more in time, not that much data has been preserved.

Here is an example from Utah. Over a million sq feet just for servers and they add to it daily. And they are just getting started
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utah_Data_Center
Most of that is for national security , most of it (the information) is hardly ever used (it is a massive amount) , but when it is needed , they have it all.

As far as the Thelma case police said her phone was at the toboggan hill and then went dead (turned off ?) .... how do they know that if records are not kept

Look at all the crimes solved just by mobile phone tracking. It grows by leaps and bounds every day. best wishes

I'm still trying to catch up but the mention of sunglasses made me think of something. Its possible that should wore sunglasses for her walk but had her glasses hooked over her collar. It was also mention it was quite warm and humid. I live in the tropics and I know that quite often I need to stop and defog my glasses. I can't see far in front without my glasses but when it is humid I can see far better with my crappy eyes than I can with fogged up glasses. When going on long walks I eventually get crabby at them fogging up and hook them over my shirt. They may have fallen off and she wouldn't have noticed if she were going at a good pace.

Also, great points about how the glasses could be identified. My husband wears glasses and I see him everyday and I wouldn't be able to recognise his glasses. I can't even recall now if they are blue, black, gold or brown. They are just generic glasses. I might be able to say, those look like ones he would wear, but that's it. The police would have to rely on the many finger prints he leaves all over the lenses.

It wasn't humid when Thelma left at 7 am. It was way to early in the day for her glasses to fog up on her. She was supposed to be at CT by 10 am so I don't think there was any fog on her glasses.

Where is the closest entrance to the Red River from Thelma's house or from the community centre where her glasses were found? Is there a map available?

Wow, I just did a sat. view of the area per the map above, that area is packed solid with homes.

It's hard to believe someone could vanish without a trace in an area that heavily populated, and yet no one appears to have seen a thing.

https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/Vall...1be504da2a!2m2!1d-97.0363867!2d49.9163376!3e0

Yes but keep in mind that portions of the walking trails are far away from houses and people , and the general area she was thought to be is only a few minutes away (by car) to be in rural farming areas with huge wide open spaces.

If you were talking about dumping something in the river , then yes , it is packed with houses and private yards and nearly impossible to go unnoticed ...... better to head out of town (to dispose of something).

I was going to post this in the early days of the search and then didn't , and even now I am reluctant ... so I am asking if anyone else saw it or noticed it.

Shortly after Thelma went missing there was lots of publicity , posters , and the "Find Thelma" Facebook page with some general descriptions of the streets and trails she was known to walk ...... but it also said to especially pay attention around the toboggan hill area.

But that was posted a couple of days BEFORE her glasses were found in the toboggan hill area .... I went back several times and checked the posting date ..... it set off my hinky meter .... did anyone else notice it ??

.... I considered the possibility that the glasses were found earlier than was announced and they (facebook folks) knew it , thus wrote the post that way .

.... Or the post was modified after the glasses were found but had the stale date on it .... but that would be odd to ask the public to check toboggan hill after the police already searched and found the glasses there.

.... Then a couple days later I was going to take a screen shot but couldn't find it ... plus I dont think we are allowed to transfer "other" social media to this one.

.... I couldn't help but think somebody WANTED those glasses found there ...... Somebody please help me turn my hinky meter off . Thank you.

Phone ping was where?

As stated she would not have had any fogging issues on her glasses. But the chance of her having some prescription sunglasses with her (and carrying her other pair with her) should be considered; the way you describe somebody carrying their glasses is quite possible.

While it doesn't solve the overall problem at hand it might explain why the glasses could be found in a very open exposed area vs. somewhere more hidden; I still think the overall focus should be a bit larger than the open field. The police area likely considering a large number of possibilities that we're not aware of.

.... I couldn't help but think somebody WANTED those glasses found there ...... Somebody please help me turn my hinky meter off . Thank you.

I don't remember the posters but I do clearly recall that search volunteer teams were searching in the area prior to the glasses find; first around Kildonan-East Collegiate I believe.

There might be a decent explanation for this though. It would make sense for Thelma to include that area in her hiking training due to the hill. Our terrain being what it is there are only so many opportunities to practice any kind of "climbing", and toboggan hill is one such place. Let's remember that she was wearing her hiking boots, likely to "break them in" prior to her event. She would also want to experience as much variation in terrain too.

Her route on that day was likely among several possibilities known ahead of time which would explain why they would include it early on in the search. Of course this same reason might fit in with other scenarios as well such as you've suggested; however I'm not inclined to go down that road unless there's other evidence to support it.

Here is an example from Utah. Over a million sq feet just for servers and they add to it daily. And they are just getting started
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utah_Data_Center
Most of that is for national security , most of it (the information) is hardly ever used (it is a massive amount) , but when it is needed , they have it all.

As far as the Thelma case police said her phone was at the toboggan hill and then went dead (turned off ?) .... how do they know that if records are not kept

Look at all the crimes solved just by mobile phone tracking. It grows by leaps and bounds every day. best wishes

Ping it once, get a general location.
Ping it later, find out that the phone is off. Turned off or battery is dead. Same response.

As stated she would not have had any fogging issues on her glasses. But the chance of her having some prescription sunglasses with her (and carrying her other pair with her) should be considered; the way you describe somebody carrying their glasses is quite possible.

While it doesn't solve the overall problem at hand it might explain why the glasses could be found in a very open exposed area vs. somewhere more hidden; I still think the overall focus should be a bit larger than the open field. The police area likely considering a large number of possibilities that we're not aware of.
I don't know about tthe part I bolded. They stated a few times early on that they were stumped and had no idea what happened. At first I thought they were bluffing, but now I don't think that. WPS, in my opinion, is more reactive than proactive so I personally am not going to assume that they are doing anything more than following up on any tips that seem credible. (I hope I am wrong.)
IMO.

Thanks SB. In Winnipeg, two women killed themselves in the Red River lived right across the street from it. Both bodies were spotted near the river's edge and found within a week. Helicopters searched the Red River for Thelma, which is narrow, and they may have flown along both sides of the river.

The Red River, which flows through Winnipeg, is likely peaking now due to the tremendous amount of rain we’ve had. Basements are flooding left and right and there’s more rain in the forecast so we may soon have a major flood.

On Saturday, July 11, 2015, the day Thelma vanished, a daytime high of 29 was predicted. In the video which shows Thelma walking down the street at 7:23 am, it is bright outside and it didn’t rain all day so she I doubt she encountered any fog. She didn’t have a rain jacket or umbrella with her. It was a bright, warm and sunny day. However, Thelma would have encountered fog on the WCT and I'm not sure if people who wear glasses should do this hike. Perfect vision seems a prerequisite. I think she would have felt more confident doing this if she had undergone corrective eye surgery

Regarding the search for Thelma this coming Wednesday, on “Everyone Wear Purple” Day, people are meeting at the MLCC parking lot on Regent across from Canadian Tire
at 6 pm. Although the area has been thoroughly searched numerous times, no clues, or evidence was found.

There has been tons of rain this summer so I wonder if the searchers are given protective clothing to wear? Wednesday’s forecast is mainly cloudy with periods of rain. Daytime high is 19. It’s cool and wet. The foliage is thick and high and there are a lot of mosquitoes.

The fact no key evidence besides Thelma’s glasses were found supports my belief that it was Thelma who left her glasses in the open field. Were the arms folded or open?

Because there is no evidence a crime has taken place, it’s still a missing person’s case imo.

Thanks SB. In Winnipeg, two women killed themselves in the Red River lived right across the street from it. Both bodies were spotted near the river's edge and found within a week. Helicopters searched the Red River for Thelma, which is narrow, and they may have flown along both sides of the river.

The Red River, which flows through Winnipeg, is likely peaking now due to the tremendous amount of rain we’ve had. Basements are flooding left and right and there’s more rain in the forecast so we may soon have a major flood.

The Red peaks in the spring. Even if the levels were high, we have the floodway. It isn't going to flood.

I do agree that if Thelma was in the river, her body would have surfaced by now. Even if she was weighted down, I think she would have been found because of the Drag the Red volunteer initiative.

The Red peaks in the spring. Even if the levels were high, we have the floodway. It isn't going to flood.

I do agree that if Thelma was in the river, her body would have surfaced by now. Even if she was weighted down, I think she would have been found because of the Drag the Red volunteer initiative.

Maybe Thelma’s body is trapped under the surface of the water. Normally a body will sink to the bottom and rise to the surface of the Red River within a week. The current in the Red River is strong and that’s why a person’s body could travel a fair distance however, because the Red River winds, the body often doesn’t make it around a curve and it drifts into the bank and remains there until it’s spotted. It’s impossible to look under everything in the lake so she could be floating under something or be trapped on the bottom. If she is trapped underneath the surface of the water though, wouldn’t a body part or personal item, her clothing, have risen to the surface in two-months time?

STORM WRECKS HAVOC, Winnipeg Sun, posted Friday, September 4th, 2015

On Friday, September 4th, 2015, Winnipeg recorded rain levels between 40 and 55 mm, mostly between 2 pm and 3 pm, causing widespread flooding, especially in parking lots and underpasses.

Similar rain amounts were reported through the whole south Red River Valley area, Fulton said.

“It was basically a very moist air mass and as the storm developed, it just happened to go right up the Red River Valley,” Fulton said.

Manitoba Hydro reported about 2,100 residences in the St. Andrews-Lockport area lost power between 3:30-9:30 pm. Friday.

“We don’t have a specific cause yet, but it wasn’t something as blatant as downed power lines said MB Hydro spokeswoman Andrea Gruber.

Another 400 customers in the Portage la Prairie area were without power for about two hours as were several customers in the St. James area of Winnipeg (where I live). Both outages were blamed on lightning strikes.

Even though Gruber said we fared the storm pretty well and it could have been worse, we have had a high number of violent thunderstorms this summer and many residents are frightened; some have been frightened to death.

http://www.winnipegsun.com/2015/09/04/storm-wreaks-havoc-rains-out-concert

STORM WRECKS HAVOC, Winnipeg Sun, posted Friday, September 4th, 2015

On Friday, September 4th, 2015, Winnipeg recorded rain levels between 40 and 55 mm, mostly between 2 pm and 3 pm, causing widespread flooding, especially in parking lots and underpasses.

Similar rain amounts were reported through the whole south Red River Valley area, Fulton said.

“It was basically a very moist air mass and as the storm developed, it just happened to go right up the Red River Valley,” Fulton said.

Manitoba Hydro reported about 2,100 residences in the St. Andrews-Lockport area lost power between 3:30-9:30 pm. Friday.

“We don’t have a specific cause yet, but it wasn’t something as blatant as downed power lines said MB Hydro spokeswoman Andrea Gruber.

Another 400 customers in the Portage la Prairie area were without power for about two hours as were several customers in the St. James area of Winnipeg (where I live). Both outages were blamed on lightning strikes.

Even though Gruber said we fared the storm pretty well and it could have been worse, we have had a high number of violent thunderstorms this summer and many residents are frightened; some have been frightened to death.

I left home at 1:45 pm with my waterproof jacket and umbrella, to go pick up books at the Millenium Library so I was outside when it arrived.

http://www.winnipegsun.com/2015/09/04/storm-wreaks-havoc-rains-out-concert

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member