Found Deceased Canada - Thelma Krull, 58, Winnipeg MB, 11 July 2015

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
And it's a 5 minute from the boundary of North Kildonan which is considered a wealthy upper class suburb.

When I heard Thelma was planning to hike the West Coast Trail with her brother, I didn’t realize how much preparation and personal risk is involved until I visited their website. Although the trail has enormous trees and endless jaw dropping views, it is tough, very tough and requires a great deal of perseverance. You are required to cross deep gullies on fallen trees, negotiate very steep slopes and follow an irregular, slippery trail. At various parts of the trails you will be wading through rivers, negotiating steep slopes, climbing ladders and using cable cars. It is common for structures on the trail to be unexpectedly damaged by storms and other natural phenomenon. Likewise, the climate of this temperate rainforest can change quickly and dramatically This is a wilderness area and it may be many hours before help can be obtained should an accident occur.

Did she and her brother carefully evaluate their individual skills before agreeing to do the 75 km hike? Eighty to one hundred hikers are seriously injured and evacuated from the West Coast Trail every season. Approximately 200 hikers per year sustain minor injuries and manage to limp off the trail.

Did Thelma have a change of heart about going but she didn’t say anything because she didn’t want to lose face with her friends and family? Although the maximum group size is 10, only Thelma and her brother decided to go.

Thelma disappeared just weeks before she was to leave for BC and meet her older brother, who is probably close to sixty years of age. Reservations, which are optional but highly recommended, can be made 90 days ahead of the day you plan to start your hike and must include two alternative dates. The fee is non-refundable and gives each hiker a guaranteed start date, a weather proof map of the trail, and a hike preparation guide. Before you leave for the trail, you are told to write a trip plan and leave it with a responsible person which details where you are going, with whom, when you plan to return, and what to do if you do not return as planned. All hikers must study the Hiker Preparation Guide, the WCT Map and Tide Tables, attend an orientation session, purchase a park permit, study and know the rules, and much more.

Thelma and her brother would have to discuss many aspects of this expedition in great detail and because she was so busy, I wonder if they had accomplished everything they had to do?

jmo

http://www.westcoasttrailbc.com/trail_guidebook_map.htm
http://www.pc.gc.ca/eng/pn-np/bc/pacificrim/activ/activ6a/ii.aspx

I talked with someone recently that knows someone who was on a board with Thelma and she told her that Thelma was a tough person and prided herself on that. She was a "survivalist" (quote/unquote). Yes this would have been a tough hike but it sounds like she could look after herself. Lots of scouting/outdoor experience.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I do not know the east side of the river well. I have family over there but never frequent any businesses.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Might be worth taking to drive a seeing beautiful EK/NK. It will also help you picture the locations of this case.

On the actual business franchise shop page, on the government business pages, on the better business bureau's page, and every other place on the internet except their FB page, it shows Krull as still the owner.

I've no idea how it works in the U.S. but in the UK, those official pages that show ownership of business can take months if not just once annually, to be updated with new ownership names.

Well that's a bit freaky. Who on earth robs a sandwich shop? What on earth would they steal?

Some cold cuts? No. They'd need to keep them cold.
Some cases of Pepsi?

My hinky meter hasn't gone off until now.

I'm not clear about the business. They owned Mr. Sub ... a franchise, or the company? And what's R & T Associates? Is that the name of their corporation that owns Mr. Sub? It's odd to have this level of structure for a restaurant, is it not? I'm sure that I'm missing something.

MJ, I think cash was stolen from the cash register because they said they lost finances. The robber(s) may have had a weapon. I couldn't find any information on the robbery in the msm.

On the Mr. Sub page it only shows two Winnipeg locations. The one on Henderson that I assumed was the one the Krull's owned and one in the Garden City mall.

Might be worth taking to drive a seeing beautiful EK/NK. It will also help you picture the locations of this case.

No thanks. I avoid that area as much as possible due to the traffic.

What was Thelma doing to prepare for this challenging hike besides taking long walks on flat surfaces by herself a few times a week? Apparently she had been training for about a year but what did that entail? There is no fitness facility where she worked afaik and we don’t know if she went to a fitness facility regularly to train. Was she doing any cardiovascular workouts and training with weights to increase her strength and endurance? Was she practicing climbing rocks? How was her balance? Walking long distances isn’t enough imo and not only was Thelma slightly overweight but she wore glasses. She would have to carry a heavy and large backpack during the hike and when she left for a walk on Saturday morning, she was only wearing a lightweight fanny pack and carrying a cell phone and earbuds.

When it rains or is humid, your glasses instantly fog up. What if Thelma was crossing a gully on a log when that happened? It is extremely difficult to clear them or take them off so what was she planning to do when this happened? Had she addressed and resolved each of her worst case scenarios? Corrective eye surgery is the best solution for this problem.

Walking long distances a few times a week doesn’t develop your fine motor skills or necessarily increase your cardiovascular level. It takes a lot of upper body strength to climb a rock wall and courage to crawl across logs over deep gullies. To increase her fitness level and confidence, it would have been best if Thelma had hired and worked with a fitness consultant imo.

A person can say I am tough to try and convince themselves that they are when inside they feel weak and afraid. Ignoring or repressing your feelings creates a lot of stress and anxiety inside of you and in one of Thelma’s recent pictures, she isn’t smiling. Imo she looks tense and nervous. Why? In all of her other pictures posted on FB, she is smiling and looks relaxed.

There are many dangers on the WCT trail and the unexpected often can and does happen. Hundreds of people die on this trail. One slip of your hand or foot can cost you your life. If either Bill or Thelma had an accident or medical emergency, like a heart attack, the other is on their own until help comes, which isn’t immediate like it is in the City. Did Thelma take a recent course in CPR and First Aid? It is better if 3 people do this hike, not two.

I don’t know if this means anything but Robert Sr said that on Friday night he and Thelma discussed what needed to be done around the house so I wonder if Thelma was discussing her upcoming trip, including her fears and concerns, with her husband or anyone else? Thelma’s brother lives in BC so they couldn’t train together and they might not have taken the time they needed to discuss how they would overcome the obstacles they would each face individually and together during their hike.

On Saturday, July 11th, Thelma and her husband planned to purchase a ladder at CT which would have been an ideal time for Thelma to purchase any supplies or equipment she may have needed to take with her to BC.

jmo

The area East of Henderson from the Disraeli bridge to Mcleod is sketchy.
Anyway....
Who knows how many people TK told about her walks and her training for the hike in B.C
Did she talk to people on a Facebook page about it? Did she talk in online forums? Did she tell people at work? In her travels did she tell people?
Maybe somebody took note and saw it as an opportunity. I think most of us will agree that this wasn't a robbery.

Anyway....
Who knows how many people TK told about her walks and her training for the hike in B.C
Did she talk to people on a Facebook page about it? Did she talk in online forums? Did she tell people at work? In her travels did she tell people?
Maybe somebody took note and saw it as an opportunity. I think most of us will agree that this wasn't a robbery.

From perhaps south of Munroe to the Disraeli on the East side is more of the sketchy type agree. Not from McLeod to Munroe. That is solidly middle class. Tons of nice homes on Kimberley and Munroe for example. But of course if you go further east around Watt it gets sketchy.

Anyhow my whole original point of correcting you is not to be annoying which I'm sure I came across as but just so that if people are sleuthing about this case they don't get the misinterpretation that Thelma's employment (past and current) or home is in a low income, high crime type of area. It isn't at all. They are all located in a very conservative (very Mennonite at one point), middle class suburb. I think that is one of the main reasons her disappearance really struck a cord with the public is that it's such a NON low income/high crime area. Of course like the whole city of Winnipeg there are pockets of income assistance housing some which are near the park where her glasses were found.

ETA - I did not realize the hike was such an undertaking! I too wonder what other training she had been doing.

Anyway....

Didn't her family say she always took different routes?

I don’t think Thelma was robbed either. Not only because she lived in a high class neighborhood, but because most robbers only want your money, and if you cooperate with them, you won't get hurt.

When Mr. Sub was robbed in May of this year, he/she only wanted the cash, and when the clerk gave it to them, no one was hurt and the robber fled. Most joggers or walkers don’t carry cash on them.

Nowadays most small businesses that sell food to the public, have a surveillance camera and I’ve seen signs on the premises that say only a small amount of cash is kept on the premises. Hopefully the new owner of Mr. Sub has done this to prevent this from happening again.

Was Thelma's FB page removed? I only see the missing FB page and the uncensored one.

Didn't her family say she always took different routes during her walks? No one would know where she would be walking that day and when, and why would they want to abduct and hurt Thelma?

I don’t think Thelma was robbed either. Not only because she lived in a high class neighborhood, but because most robbers only want your money and if you cooperate with them, you won't get hurt.

When Mr. Sub was robbed in May of this year, he/she only wanted the cash, and when the clerk gave it to them, no one was hurt and the robber fled. Most joggers or walkers don’t carry cash on them.

Nowadays most small businesses that sell food to the public, have a surveillance camera and I’ve seen signs on the premises that say only a small amount of cash is kept on the premises. Hopefully the new owner of Mr. Sub has done this to prevent this from happening again.

Was Thelma's FB page removed? I only see the missing FB page and the uncensored one.

Her FB page is still working for me.

She might have changed up her routes but maybe kept the same schedule and was followed? I agree this doesn't seem to be like a mugging because she wouldn't have had much on her, and she would have likely just handed over any valuables she did have.

Randomly: I'm not sure how I feel about someone else logged into her FB account and updating her page.

They would want whatever is in the register.
People rob all kinds of places. Look at the Sargent Sundae armed robbery. 9:30 p.m. on a nice night. Full of customers.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Thelma, like most people who workout regularly, probably walked whenever she could fit it into her busy schedule, so when she would leave her house for a walk would be unpredictable. The day Thelma disappeared, she left early in the morning because she planned to meet her husband at Canadian Tire around 10 o'clock, pick up a birthday cake, change her clothing, and attend a birthday party for her grandson at 2 pm.

Why would anyone want to kidnap and harm Thelma? What would their motive be? The family has no known enemies and they don’t associate with drug dealers. If someone kidnapped Thelma for money, they would have contacted the police or family by now and how often does that happen to middle class people? It takes a lot of time and effort to plan a kidnapping, and because people are so busy with their own lives, who has the desire or time for that? If she was sexually attacked, I think she would have been found by now.

I found her FB page, thank you.

It is. Fraser's Grove is off the west side of Henderson. Fraser's Grove is made up of some very luxury houses along the riverbank within 5 minute walk of Mr Sub. Do you live in Winnipeg as you don't seem to know the city well.
Anyone who has ever been in the strip mall where Mr Sub is located would never call it anything but middle class suburbia.
I grew up within walking distance of that shop and it is very much Mennonite dominated suburbia. Like I say as you walk south towards Elmwood past perhaps Kimberly it can start being called working class.

And it's possible that they do still own it. I thought I heard somewhere in the local media that they were the previous owners of the shop. I could be mistaken.

From Wikipedia - this describes the area that both Mr Sub shop and Thelma's home resides in. From the shop to her house it would be a good 20-30 minute walk down Mcleod/Grassie.

East Kildonan is a primarily residential community in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, located in the northeast part of the city. Commonly known by its initials "E. K. ", the neighbourhood has a population of approximately 26,278 (2011 Census).
East Kildonan is bounded by the Red River on the west, the lane between Harbison and Larsen Avenues on the south, Panet Road, 100 metres (330 ft) north of Blantyre Avenue, and the Canadian Pacific Railway Marconi tracks (removed in 2006) on the east, and Oakland Avenue on the north. East Kildonan is made up of the neighbourhoods of Munroe, Morse Place, Rossmere, and Fraser's Grove.
It is mainly a working and middle class community, though there are poorer pockets south of Munroe Avenue and more affluent areas along the Red River and west of Henderson Highway, East Kildonan's major thoroughfare. There is a small industrial area located between Watt Street and the CPR tracks

I wouldn't stop there for a sub after dark! The Redwood bridge is a few blocks south... talbot on the other side of Henderson are not what I would consider to be middle class bungalows.
The area where thelma lived was middle class but that is a considerable distance from where the Mr. sub is.

I wouldn't stop there for a sub after dark! The Redwood bridge is a few blocks south... talbot on the other side of Henderson are not what I would consider to be middle class bungalows.
The area where thelma lived was middle class but that is a considerable distance from where the Mr. sub is.

You're thinking of the Subway in Elmwood. It's just past MBCI on the west side. Just before Johnson. That is a block away from Talbot. And yes that is a low income area. It's Elmwood.

The Redwood Bridge is MILES south of the Mr Sub that the Krulls owned.. Nowhere near walking distance. The Chief Peguis bridge is about mile north.
The sub shop is next to Henderson Public Library and across from Sobey's. Near John Henderson Junior High.

Again to go from their sub shop to their house you would walk across the shopping mall parking lot (Empress of China, Henderson Library, Rossmere Lanes) to the corner by Tim's Hortons and what use to be River City Sport. Cross Henderson and walk all the way down McLeod, cross Lag onto Grassie and turn into Harbourview South.

Not sure if this link to Google Maps works or not. It shows the strip mall where Mr Sub (not Subway is). The restaurant is behind Dairy Queen next to the library. And look there's very little traffic! LOL.

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/He...6656!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0xbb7a02fdd956748e!6m1!1e1

Anyhow Google Maps is a great way to get orientated to the city without leaving your computer if you aren't familiar with the area.

Right behind the strip mall with Mr Sub in what my friend call "bungalow land" aka Fraser's Grove.(off Rowandale)

https://www.google.ca/maps/@49.9377...29I-L8i5ArduNgxYBg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1

Hope that helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members