Canadian hostage, wife & children freed from Afghanistan, Oct 2017 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, I think I'm getting you here. Are you saying that the episode, so soon after their retrieval, when Caitlan was sent for treatment was done of the basis of her husband's false statement that she was suicidal and in need of treatment, in order to deflect police/social services from allegations she made against him? If so, it would explain her silent and truculent stance at the time.

I am not sure which poster or post you are replying to because I was confused as to when the missing/suicidal person call was made to police.
Since news of his arrest broke, I was under the impression that he called Police to report a missing and suicidal person on or about Dec 30 because, according to neighbours in the apartment build, Ottawa Police went knocking door to door asking questions at the apartment building they were living in.
I could be wrong though. Just putting the pieces together from what 2 female the neighbours stated in an article.

Macleans just published an interesting interview (pre-arrest) with Boyle:

http://www.macleans.ca/news/world/what-really-happened-to-joshua-boyle-and-his-family/

I don’t think I remember seeing that they were kept separated for so long and right at the start of their captivity... So she had the first baby and they were still separated another ~4-5mo?? While he was berating armed jihadist guards about not being pious enough every day?

“Islam became Boyle’s weapon, and in some ways his armour. He used faith to divide his guards between true believers and the munafiq. During those first seven months, when he and Coleman were kept apart, senior representatives—from the Taliban, the Haqqani network and possibly the Pakistani ISI—would come to the compound to check on the captives. He would appeal to anyone who would listen and ask them to bring in an Islamic judge to rule on the validity of their captivity under Sharia law.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Macleans just published an interesting interview (pre-arrest) with Boyle:

http://www.macleans.ca/news/world/what-really-happened-to-joshua-boyle-and-his-family/

Thanks for bringing the thread back. IMO, attacking someone’s behavior, e.g. assaultive, is one thing. Disparaging a religion and stereotyping cultures was an unfortunate direction for the discussion.

Now, this article.....

LMAO the first bandits couldn’t get a buyer for the Boyles! Not the Taliban, no one. They drove around for a week trying to sell them. Wise Taliban: can you imagine what a liabilty JB would have been, not to mention his so-white-she-almost-glows-in-the-dark pregnant wife?

Aha! Here’s one of the points I was trying to make earlier: warrior groups frequently have a code that has protocols about categories of people...Here, it was in the Taliban’s warrior code not to take a pregnant woman hostage.

JB is proud of how he apparently managed to get approval from a Taliban leader for his knowledge of arabic and farsi as well as his history with Khadr. He gives away, he wanted to be with the Taliban. He’s making as if the only reason he was rejected, despite the glowing accolades, was because his wife was pregnant.

So, they flunked Taliban, who JB thought he could “deal with” (like the US hasn’t been trying to figure out how to deal with them in, lo, how many years.

More comments in my next post. Don’t want to erase this one by mistake.

Continued comments on the macleans article..

LMAO Within a few days the clan was reporting to CC that her husband was impossible! JB seems to think this was some kind of torture/brainwashing strategy....separate the two of them and then feed her lies to get her disoriented. :hilarious:

So the ****sters call in other clans for reinforcement on how to deal with the guy. Nothing like otherwise inimical factions organizing an alliance to share strategies for shutting up a full-of-himself white guy...

So he keeps bragging about how he delivered the baby with a flashlight between his teeth. Newsflash....a flashlight would be an incredible luxury. In a land with no electricity you’d deliver by flashlight if you were lucky....

That baby, in every photo, looks troublingly detached.

Ahhhh, the poison theme again; this time with contraceptives, but she secretly got pregnant anyway. So clever of his holy manliness to overcome the most imposing of obstacles.

He evidently considers he must have been really good at ingratiating himself with his captors if the clan didn’t deprive him of his privates long before the third pregnancy.

He makes himself true victim of all this: he’s being denied kids aka prevented from demonstrating his grand manliness. Who wouldn’t sympathize with that? :winkkiss:

Maybe the estrogen was really targeted at him? That would be genius strategy from the newly formed get-rid-of-JB Taliban/clan alliance.... surreptitiously emasculate the guy. Of course, JB couldn’t imagine anyone’d want to do that to him.... I guess in his pathology, he is committed to the idea that his big button trumps all.

Can you imagine being stuck with JB? Begs the question: why didn’t they get rid of him sooner? It shouldn’t have been difficult. They could have passed them back through the network and plonked them back in Kabul.

That’s an excellent article IMO because the author doesn’t take information at face value.

The tales get taller and taller....

I forgot there’s a word for low-life bandits that we can’t use on this board. It rhymes with “bug”. Maybe it’s offensive, I dunno, and I certainly didn’t mean offense, but I’ll try and roust up some synonyms.

Hi jafr22, please click on the "Reply with Quote" button under a post so we know who you are replying to. :)
Sorry Elainera & others, I was cooking whilst typing & I'm one of those people who can't walk & chew gum at the same time....

Wow what a great article. I have so many things to say but I’m not going to attempt it on mobile lol. Going back and forth from the article to tapatalk is too much for me right now [emoji1]

But I will say, JB was quite mouthy towards his captors. It’s astounding how courageous he was to verbally put the violent terrorists in their place every day!! /s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From the Macleans article: The family had been holed up in a hotel in downtown Ottawa, less than a kilometre from Parliament Hill. Their one-bedroom suite was littered with toys and bits of garbage. They had recently left the Boyles’ family home in Smiths Falls, Ont., where they stayed after arriving in Canada on Oct. 14. “We were stuck in one room there for the five of us,” Boyle explained. “It was intolerable.”

And a hotel room is better???

From the Macleans article: The family had been holed up in a hotel in downtown Ottawa, less than a kilometre from Parliament Hill. Their one-bedroom suite was littered with toys and bits of garbage. They had recently left the Boyles’ family home in Smiths Falls, Ont., where they stayed after arriving in Canada on Oct. 14. “We were stuck in one room there for the five of us,” Boyle explained. “It was intolerable.”

BBM

Folks probably threw them out. Got tired of having trash all over the house.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Probably easier to keep your wife submissive and silent in a hotel room than a family home.

BBM

It was a one bedroom suite, so can we assume the bedroom was separate from the living room? Not sure how that works, but they gave up having the run of a house and sleeping in one room for a hotel with no other rooms and no yard. Ugh. Who got the bedroom and who slept in the living room?

If there had been two bedrooms available at his parents’ house, how would they divide the family so the two little boys wouldn’t be sleeping alone? Would JB have left CC alone with the baby while he slept with the boys? Doubt it.

BBM

Folks probably threw them out. Got tired of having trash all over the house.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
BBM

Very likely. Not to mention their son being impossible to live with. If they did throw them out, it had to be very bad. Grandparents usually make big sacrifices for the sake of grandkids, even if parents are losers.
JMO

I was thinking the exact same thing that his folks probably gave him an ultimatem to get out of their house. LOL

The new hotel was a 1 bedroom suite and his excuse of only having 1 room at his folks place seems to be a lie unless he thinks the 1 bedroom suite is much larger or something. LOL

I have a feeling that he fibs and exaggerates a lot of things. The sad thing is I think he believes his own lies.

But I will say, JB was quite mouthy towards his captors. It’s astounding how courageous he was to verbally put the violent terrorists in their place every day!! k

He might very well be exaggerating their sacrilegious behavior, and they do seem to have called in the Taliban either to make him knock it off or get rid of him. (Natch, he tries to convey the Taliban et al. were there out of concern for the hostages.)

Imagine treating someone you depended on for survival that way. Your hosts, for better or worse, in a foreign country. With family ‘n all.

I really don’t understand why the Taliban didn’t just persuade the bandits to return the gringos from whence they came. The Taliban might quite have been enjoying the bandits’ predicament.

Probably easier to keep your wife submissive and silent in a hotel room than a family home.

His parents may have been too aware and disapproving of his treatment of CC and intervening. At least I hope so. They were certainly aware that his statements were off the wall. They said as much.

LMAO They’ve theoretically been holed up in a dark room in the Afghan mountains for 5 years, and he’s talking about the hotel room and/or his folks’ house as being a hole?

Also, did you notice that he seems to have been looking for an apartment for 6 weeks? Must be sumpin’ wrong with him right off the bat... In most other situations, people come out of the woodwork to help freed hostages.

Again, in this article

JB recalls that they were told their ordeal would not last longer than 5 years...so was it a rescue or not?

".. Boyle and Coleman received a visit from a man they had met before, someone they both refer to as representing “those who control the Haqqani network” (i.e. the ISI).
The man had a message for them: “Your detention will not last longer than five years.”

It’s like it got read in the tea leaves..... Fabulously mysterious, self-affirming, adventure-worthy. Why, one could even write it up in a book!

LMAO They’ve theoretically been holed up in a dark room in the Afghan mountains for 5 years, and he’s talking about the hotel room and/or his folks’ house as being a hole?

Also, did you notice that he seems to have been looking for an apartment for 6 weeks? Must be sumpin’ wrong with him right off the bat... In most other situations, people come out of the woodwork to help freed hostages.

SABBM

Exactly.

Have wonder what kind of expenses they incurred at their relatives' ; and were they (or HE) demanding about needing this or that ?
And if the relatives' had internet -- were said relatives anxious about what JB was up to whilst online ?
God knows I wouldn't want him in MY house.

And who is paying for the hotel suite ???
:moo:

And who is paying for the hotel suite ???
:moo:

I'm not sure if you are Canadian but they would have been receiving Ontario Works (welfare) in the amount of at least $1,262, plus CCTB (baby bonus) of $1,860, plus other tax credits of around $500, so about $3,500 monthly. In addition, I can see a hotel offering a discount rate. They also had a US NGO that works specifically with integrating hostages accessing all available benefits for them and helping them negotiate the system (the NGO was paid by the Provincial gov't). I'm proud of our social net, without it CC and the kids would have been much worse off even though both sets of grandparents are comfortably well-off (JB's family is certainly millionaires).

I'm not sure if you are Canadian but they would have been receiving Ontario Works (welfare) in the amount of at least $1,262, plus CCTB (baby bonus) of $1,860, plus other tax credits of around $500. In addition, I can see a hotel offering a discount rate. They also had a US NGO that works specifically with integrating hostages accessing all available benefits for them and helping them negotiate the system (the NGO was paid by the Provincial gov't). I'm proud of our social net, without it CC and the kids would have been much worse off even though both sets of grandparents are comfortably well-off (JB's family is certainly millionaires).

Per month?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member