Canadian hostage, wife & children freed from Afghanistan, Oct 2017 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
We don't have a poverty line in Canada, we use the Low Income Cut-Off instead. In 2015 (three years ago), the LICO for a family of five was over $50,000. So they are recieving less than the "poverty line". It isn't a lot of money considering what their expenses must be.

Their recent apartment could well be subsidized as well. I dont know if they publicized the address to look it up.

“We were stuck in one room there for the five of us,” Boyle explained. “It was intolerable.”

Wow...just wow!

BBM

Folks probably threw them out. Got tired of having trash all over the house.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Idk, at this point I can’t give JBs parents and family too much credit. They seem to be enablers and/or oblivious. My MIL is a little !cold (to put it lightly) but if I went thru what CC went thru, I am certain she’d demand for me to see my parents, especially if they showed as much sadness and concern as CCs parents have shown.

If I chose to marry a man who had bin laden at his first wedding, I do not think my parents would support such a marriage. I cannot understand how JBs dad, a judge nonetheless, was able to be supportive of his son through all of those years. I’m not a biological mom, so maybe I just don’t get it. I can’t imagine supporting my kids if they married into terrorism. My sentiment is directed at his sisters as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He might very well be exaggerating their sacrilegious behavior, and they do seem to have called in the Taliban either to make him knock it off or get rid of him. (Natch, he tries to convey the Taliban et al. were there out of concern for the hostages.)

Imagine treating someone you depended on for survival that way. Your hosts, for better or worse, in a foreign country. With family ‘n all.

I really don’t understand why the Taliban didn’t just persuade the bandits to return the gringos from whence they came. The Taliban might quite have been enjoying the bandits’ predicament.

That’s why I added “/s” at the end of my post ;) it means sarcasm.

I could be wrong on this I dunno why my memory of this was someone tipped off the cops about the tapes, they were in the attic maybe, im thinking it had to be Karla however she is quite cunning so I could not imagine her leading the cops to this evidence as she was in one video where she was clearly and willingly assualting her own sister. Did we ever find out just how those tapes were discovered. You are saying the defense lawyer had them? I do not remember that but this is my dizzy brain I was so blessed to have lol

Yes. Have a look at this article:

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/torture-tapes-left-lawyer-traumatized/article18422428/

I'm not sure if you are Canadian but they would have been receiving Ontario Works (welfare) in the amount of at least $1,262, plus CCTB (baby bonus) of $1,860, plus other tax credits of around $500, so about $3,500 monthly. In addition, I can see a hotel offering a discount rate. They also had a US NGO that works specifically with integrating hostages accessing all available benefits for them and helping them negotiate the system (the NGO was paid by the Provincial gov't). I'm proud of our social net, without it CC and the kids would have been much worse off even though both sets of grandparents are comfortably well-off (JB's family is certainly millionaires).

Wow. I can’t imagine the uproar in the US if our govt paid a Guantanamo bay released prisoner $10mil and then another very very sketchy person who was once related to said GB prisoner, $3,500/month.

Why is that funny? Most countries with safety nets don't let children go hungry or have to resort to crime to feed their families.

I work my *advertiser censored* off to make that salary in the US. That’s why it’s ironic. That a man with terrorist ties can be entitled to that amount of money, which comes from taxpayers such as myself.

Thanks for bringing the thread back. IMO, attacking someone’s behavior, e.g. assaultive, is one thing. Disparaging a religion and stereotyping cultures was an unfortunate direction for the discussion.

Now, this article.....

LMAO the first bandits couldn’t get a buyer for the Boyles! Not the Taliban, no one. They drove around for a week trying to sell them. Wise Taliban: can you imagine what a liabilty JB would have been, not to mention his so-white-she-almost-glows-in-the-dark pregnant wife?

Aha! Here’s one of the points I was trying to make earlier: warrior groups frequently have a code that has protocols about categories of people...Here, it was in the Taliban’s warrior code not to take a pregnant woman hostage.

JB is proud of how he apparently managed to get approval from a Taliban leader for his knowledge of arabic and farsi as well as his history with Khadr. He gives away, he wanted to be with the Taliban. He’s making as if the only reason he was rejected, despite the glowing accolades, was because his wife was pregnant.

So, they flunked Taliban, who JB thought he could “deal with” (like the US hasn’t been trying to figure out how to deal with them in, lo, how many years.

More comments in my next post. Don’t want to erase this one by mistake.

I think Mr Boyle is lucky he didn't get he and his family shot dead and buried somewhere in the desert. All of this seems so silly and unnecssary to the point that I wondered briefly if they were spies or something of that nature. If they were spies I would borrow a phrase from our beloved president " you're fired! " Something just does not ring true of this entire saga.

Their recent apartment could well be subsidized as well. I dont know if they publicized the address to look it up.

No, the address has not been published. I will venture a guess and say they are with Ottawa Housing.
Buuuuuuut. 2 female tenants in the same building did speak with reporters and their names published in the article..a simple google search based on that info can easily lead to the address.
The photos we saw back in November I think was probably taken from the hotel suite they were staying in downtown.

I'm not sure if you are Canadian but they would have been receiving Ontario Works (welfare) in the amount of at least $1,262, plus CCTB (baby bonus) of $1,860, plus other tax credits of around $500, so about $3,500 monthly. In addition, I can see a hotel offering a discount rate. They also had a US NGO that works specifically with integrating hostages accessing all available benefits for them and helping them negotiate the system (the NGO was paid by the Provincial gov't). I'm proud of our social net, without it CC and the kids would have been much worse off even though both sets of grandparents are comfortably well-off (JB's family is certainly millionaires).

omg are these numbers accurate for Ontario?

Back on subject...I’m just glad that they have the help for the sake of the kids. That’s all that matters. Never mind the politics and religion. Those poor little ones didn’t ask for this. So if help for the parents means help for the kids, that’s a good thing IMO.

Back on subject...I’m just glad that they have the help for the sake of the kids. That’s all that matters. Never mind the politics and religion. Those poor little ones didn’t ask for this. So if help for the parents means help for the kids, that’s a good thing IMO.

If arrest of one parent means help for the other parent and the kids. Bc I sincerely don’t think JB had any intention of getting his wife and kids help. Now that he’s locked up, CC and kids can hopefully begin the healing process. I do think she needs to come back to the US with the kids. Not because of anything to do with Canada vs the US. But bc she probably has way more of a support system here and can deprogram easier than if she’s in a foreign country, where her closest contacts are her creepo husbands kin.

Wow. I can’t imagine the uproar in the US if our govt paid a Guantanamo bay released prisoner $10mil and then another very very sketchy person who was once related to said GB prisoner, $3,500/month.

A lot of the money they are receiving is because they have children, probably at least 1/2 of the total. The quoted rates are also the absolute maximum, as income goes up benefits go down. It's likely the Boyle's would be getting maximum of everything because benefits are based on previous year taxable income (so doubt they had any income in 2016). It's not the kids fault their dad is "sketchy", Canada provides social benefits for kids regardless of who their parents might be...

If arrest of one parent means help for the other parent and the kids. Bc I sincerely don’t think JB had any intention of getting his wife and kids help. Now that he’s locked up, CC and kids can hopefully begin the healing process. I do think she needs to come back to the US with the kids. Not because of anything to do with Canada vs the US. But bc she probably has way more of a support system here and can deprogram easier than if she’s in a foreign country, where her closest contacts are her creepo husbands kin. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He wont be locked up for long, I think he will be out on bail as soon as next week. I agree that she needs support from her own family, but he may be able to stop the children from leaving Canada under our Family Law rules (mobility rights). If the children are Canadian Citizens, you just cant relocate them unless both parents agree.

A lot of the money they are receiving is because they have children, probably at least 1/2 of the total.

Way more than half is specifically for the children- JB would get $700/month, JB & CC would get $1,000 combined if they had no children. Basically, Canada has universal income for children to keep them out of poverty with the assumption that adults without children will either be self-supporting or else recieve the more generous disability payments if they are eligible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WhiteCamo