Canadian hostage, wife & children freed from Afghanistan, Oct 2017 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm kind of new to this case, but this seems to say that the family knew that the baby had been killed and that Caitlyn had been assaulted while they were all still in captivity? Am I reading that right?

So it seems. The sisters also apparently sent care packages to them in captivity. 🤔

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/freed-hostage-joshua-boyle-afghanistan-interview-1.4357341
Coleman was pregnant with the couple's first child in October 2012. They had travelled to an Afghan village where they felt mostly safe except for the unwanted attentions of one man who targeted them.
They ended up in the hands of the Haqqani network, a militant group closely linked to the Taliban that is based in North Waziristan, a region of northwest Pakistan along the border with Afghanistan. The group, which was designated a foreign terrorist organization by the U.S. in 2012, has a long and brutal record of kidnappings for financial and political gain.

Over the course of five years, now with young children, the family was moved between 23 different locations, sometimes stopping only for days. All of the places were within 50 kilometres of the Afghanistan-Pakistan border, and they spent time in both countries.

Often, they were transferred in the trunk of a car and frequently drugged with the anesthetic ketamine. They were held in kuchi huts, abandoned homes, one-room underground dungeons or homes purpose-built for Haqqani guards.

In the interview with CBC, he clarified that his captors had forced an abortion, authorized at the highest levels of the Haqqani network. He vigorously dismissed Taliban claims on the weekend that he and Coleman were never separated.

From a 2016 interview with B's mother.
rbbm
http://www.cbc.ca/radio/asithappens...5-years-of-captivity-in-afghanistan-1.3907174

Linda Boyle: I think just because of the previous video, I had actually purposely turned the volume off for the first time to watch it through so I was just focusing on them and looking at them and, you know, I was just enjoying my grandchildren.

I watched that first and then turned on the volume and watched it with two of my kids who were here too. We watched it together and it was just sort of frightening. It shocks you and I guess it was one of them who heard the leg chains and oh my gosh they're shackled and you know it's like ... they looked like such a beautiful family ... and then reality hits you

HM: Caitlan references in the video that these are her two surviving children. What does she mean by that? Do you know?

PB: I think she's confirming that they lost another child, and that's why she's used that word. We thought we understood that from the letters.

HM: The statements from both Joshua and Caitlan, as you've both alluded to, are very disturbing. Caitlan's speaking about being violated in front of her children. Looking at their faces, what you could see of them, what is your sense of their well-being, how they're doing?

If this husband doesn't have a job to go to... his wife may not be free to leave him even if she chose to do so. He would be with her all the time... shopping, doing household chores, etc.
And what is he doing in his free time ?

Curious about the term " Kafkaesque ". I've heard it before , and it wasn't a good thing. (Had to do with a survivor of childhood abuse account.)
Their time in Afghanistan would be easy to imagine it being like a nightmare. But wouldn't they (esp. J.B.) have already known that, before going over there to 'hike' , or whatever it was that they were doing there ?
:moo:
BBM

I’ve wondered if he has ever worked, and if so, at what? All we’ve heard about is travel, in addition to being married briefly. Even if he went off to work, she may not have the will or resources to leave with three kids.

You’re right that “Kafkaesque” isn’t a good thing. I think Caitlan’s use of the word “Kafkaesque” is appropriate up to a point. Recalling long ago college lit classes, Kafka’s novels usually dealt with people who were caught up in a nightmarish, illogical and senseless situation not of their own making and over which they had no control. For example, in “The Trial” a man is arrested for a crime, but not told what it is. Of course JB’s and CC’s situation was of their own making because of going to Afghanistan in the first place. There’s nothing illogical about being captured, although I expect they were shocked and couldn’t believe it was happening. But once they were captured and imprisoned I imagine their treatment involved mind games and they had no control over their overall situation (except for the multiple pregnancy part).
JMO

So it seems. The sisters also apparently sent care packages to them in captivity. 樂

Not sure in what other ways this case could blow my mind, but I'm sure it's going to. Crazy. Don't hear many cases where kidnappers let people get care packages.

So this means Caitlyn sent responses back to her family but her captors, the Taliban, didn't censor the information and allowed Caitlyn to tell them all about how they raped her and killed her kid?....

Not sure in what other ways this case could blow my mind, but I'm sure it's going to. Crazy. Don't hear many cases where kidnappers let people get care packages.

So this means Caitlyn sent responses back to her family but her captors, the Taliban, didn't censor the information and allowed Caitlyn to tell them all about how they raped her and killed her kid?....

Right. She even spoke of being defiled on one of the proof of life videos.

BBM

I’ve wondered if he has ever worked, and if so, at what? All we’ve heard about is travel, in addition to being married briefly. Even if he went off to work, she may not have the will or resources to leave with three kids.

You’re right that “Kafkaesque” isn’t a good thing. I think Caitlan’s use of the word “Kafkaesque” is appropriate up to a point. Recalling long ago college lit classes, Kafka’s novels usually dealt with people who were caught up in a nightmarish, illogical and senseless situation not of their own making and over which they had no control. For example, in “The Trial” a man is arrested for a crime, but not told what it is. Of course JB’s and CC’s situation was of their own making because of going to Afghanistan in the first place. There’s nothing illogical about being captured, although I expect they were shocked and couldn’t believe it was happening. But once they were captured and imprisoned I imagine their treatment involved mind games and they had no control over their overall situation (except for the multiple pregnancy part).
JMO

He moved to the western N.B. community in 2010 after he divorced Khadr and took a job at the now-shuttered Thing5 call centre.

Terry Ritchie, the mayor of Perth-Andover, wrote in a 2013 Facebook post Boyle’s “co-workers here knew he had converted or was converting to Islam.

“He was given special breaks from his job as a customer service representative to pray at appropriate times, co-workers say,” the post from Ritchie read.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/global...-held-in-afghanistan-who-is-joshua-boyle/amp/

He moved to the western N.B. community in 2010 after he divorced Khadr and took a job at the now-shuttered Thing5 call centre.

Terry Ritchie, the mayor of Perth-Andover, wrote in a 2013 Facebook post Boyle’s “co-workers here knew he had converted or was converting to Islam.

“He was given special breaks from his job as a customer service representative to pray at appropriate times, co-workers say,” the post from Ritchie read.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/global...-held-in-afghanistan-who-is-joshua-boyle/amp/

He reminds me so much of that AWOL soldier, stationed in Iraq, who went looking for the 'friendly' Taliban members, hoping to befriend them, and hoping to be warmly welcomed by them. And he was kidnapped and held captive, but in a similar way as this family.

I have no doubt they were held captive. But I think Boyle was trying to convince them he was sympathetic to their cause.

A Canadian here....I think the government will keep an eye on the family, particularly the husband. They're keeping an eye on his ex-wife. They'll keep an eye on him. His behaviour has been strange. I think he is a religious extremist, not necessarily of the violent type, but having strong views that may not fit with Western society.

There are several videos from a very recent interview with Joshua at this link:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/freed-hostage-joshua-boyle-afghanistan-interview-1.4357341

He doesn't seem to mind the limelight or sympathy. He clearly shows emotional concern for his children, but in the parts of the interview shown I have yet to see much concern about his wife.

(Sorry if this link was recently posted. I've got to head out and don't have time to check.)

He states that he has concern for his children. In the video where he is holding his infant, you can see that his tiny baby is in emotional distress (writhing and trying to cry), but Joshua Boyle doesn't even look down at her.
pic.twitter.com/aKTZGWtM6I

Josh and Caitlan had nothing to offer the indigent people of Afghanistan whom they stated they were helping. They didn't have any money or gold to give away. They aren't doctors, dentists, or nurses who could provide free medical care. They didn't bring free farming equipment into Afghanistan. They didn't bring free vaccines or free food. They aren't engineers who could link rural villages to electricity or drill for water. Precisely how was Josh helping the indigent population of Afghanistan?

He states that he has concern for his children. In the video where he is holding his infant, you can see that his tiny baby is in emotional distress (writhing and trying to cry), but Joshua Boyle doesn't even look down at her.
pic.twitter.com/aKTZGWtM6I

This video made my stomach turn. First off, he needs to cool it with the accent.

Second, the look on Caitlans face tells me she knows what a nut he is.

IMO he is a terrorist sympathizer at best. I mean the guy was obsessed with terrorism. I don’t think it’s a coincidence they were abducted. I think he went to Afghanistan with every intention to try to join the Taliban but even they didn’t want him.

I sadly think Caitlan may continue to live a life in captivity if she does not take her kids and get back to the US ASAP. I think he will control her and allow her very little freedom. JMO

I read about the Canadian governments statement regarding Boyle. I am more curious about a Canadian citizens perspective, if they think the govt will truly just welcome him back with open arms, or if they are side eyeing him. As a US citizen, I hope our country is looking into him and keeping an eye on him whether he’s in the US or Canada.

The majority of comments that I haver read on local media/newspaper websites and table talk at work IMO seems to be that people are suspicious of Boyle and his connection to the Khadr family and want the gov't to keep an eye on him.

Many posters on MSM are very critical of our Federal gov't and bring up the $10million the Cdn gov't gave to Omar Khadr as a settlement and that our Prime Minister will just welcome the family back and hand them over money(last part as sarcasm)

Will the Cdn gov't keep an eye on him? I certainly hope so.

Will the kids be US or Canadian citizens? Or both? I’m not sure how that works. I hope once they receive their citizenship to whichever country, there aren’t any sudden passport applications being sent in

They could possibly have dual citizenship. Citizens who have children abroad usually register them with the Consulate of that jurisdiction, but this case is different of course.
First thing would be to register the births and since they are here in Canada I am assuming it will be here first.
I have a feeling that because of the circumstances of their birth the process for Citizenship, registration and issuance of Health Cards and Child Benefits may be expedited.

This is a piece written by Boyle’s sisters while Boyle and Caitlan were still in captivity.

I find it strange how the one sister focuses so much on Caitlan being defiled. It’s uncomfortable.

“A couple years ago I got in a fight with a sibling over what Caity’s … treatment, might be like. They thought I was horrible for even considering it; I thought they were stupid to not (we were both right, for all the joy that brought us), and then we all sat down and celebrated Christmas.”

Well then. Our sister in law is being raped and her baby was killed. On that note, let’s eat. Merry Christmas y’all.

“It’s not that I’m trying to “hide” Josh and Caity or that I’m embarrassed by them, because from what little I do know, I could not be prouder of them for all they have managed to do for their kids and the sacrifices they have made, given that their lives are, in their own words, “Kafkaesque.”

“The other thing Josh mentions that haunts me is how he and Caity play at Life is Beautiful for the sake of their kids. That he should liken their lives to one of the most heartbreaking movies I’ve seen was certainly not great news, to say the least, but knowing they are trying their best to shield their children from the horrors taking place around them is at least somewhat reassuring.”

Maybe they should have shielded their babies from the horrors by not bringing them into the world under such circumstances.

I don’t like the vibe I get from the whole Boyle family tbh.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.th...e-describe-being-hostage-to-helplessness.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HUH?
The sisters said they were able to send care packages and letters? They also received letters? did I read that right?

:thinking: I am :confused: confused

They could possibly have dual citizenship. Citizens who have children abroad usually register them with the Consulate of that jurisdiction, but this case is different of course.
First thing would be to register the births and since they are here in Canada I am assuming it will be here first.
I have a feeling that because of the circumstances of their birth the process for Citizenship, registration and issuance of Health Cards and Child Benefits may be expedited.

Thanks so much for all of your insight, it's really helpful for me to be able to hear from Canadian citizens first hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tammiwinks