CAR SEAT discussion

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright, had a request to take a photo of my son in the seat. I had to take it quick because he was mad at me for interrupting his play with the refrigerator magnets. :) This is the Chicco Keyfit 30 infant seat, which I believe is the same one Cooper had. And, this is my 22 month old son strapped into it with the straps at the lowest setting. I was able to get him all strapped in but I don't think there is much, if any, slack left in the straps. I think they are out as far as they can go. Also, I attached the sunshade onto the seat and was actually surprised I was able to get him in there with that attached. (I thought his head being above the shell would mess with that) I don't know if the sunshade was on Cooper's seat at the time of his death or not, but if it was, you wouldn't be able to see his head from the front seat. (Going by how my son's head sticks up above the seat w/out the sunshade, I would think you WOULD be able to see Cooper's head without the sunshade on)

View attachment 55653

Anyway, all kids are different sizes and my son - at least at his 18 month appointment was above average for height, weight and head - but hopefully this gives a general idea and shows that it is possible to strap a 22 month old in an infant seat with the straps at the lowest setting.

Disclaimer: My kid no longer uses this seat as it was outgrown by height before he was a year. He's in a rear-facing convertible seat now. Also, please excuse the snowman pj pants. lol. Christmas in July works right? :)

The "Thanks" button could never be enough for this post invisibleninja!

:drumroll:

Tell your Little Guy I said

:yourock:

And FWIW, I happen to love the phrase "Christmas in July!"

:fireworks:

:loveyou:

:tyou:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And thank you to the LittleInvisibleNinja for putting up with that! (Glad you blotted out his face, too.)

The "Thanks" button could never be enough for this post invisibleninja!

:drumroll:

Tell your Little Guy I said

:yourock:

And FWIW, I happen to love the phrase "Christmas in July!"

:fireworks:

:loveyou:

:tyou:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree, thank you... and I love snowmen!

Alright, had a request to take a photo of my son in the seat. I had to take it quick because he was mad at me for interrupting his play with the refrigerator magnets. :) This is the Chicco Keyfit 30 infant seat, which I believe is the same one Cooper had. And, this is my 22 month old son strapped into it with the straps at the lowest setting. I was able to get him all strapped in but I don't think there is much, if any, slack left in the straps. I think they are out as far as they can go. Also, I attached the sunshade onto the seat and was actually surprised I was able to get him in there with that attached. (I thought his head being above the shell would mess with that) I don't know if the sunshade was on Cooper's seat at the time of his death or not, but if it was, you wouldn't be able to see his head from the front seat. (Going by how my son's head sticks up above the seat w/out the sunshade, I would think you WOULD be able to see Cooper's head without the sunshade on)

View attachment 55653

Anyway, all kids are different sizes and my son - at least at his 18 month appointment was above average for height, weight and head - but hopefully this gives a general idea and shows that it is possible to strap a 22 month old in an infant seat with the straps at the lowest setting.

Disclaimer: My kid no longer uses this seat as it was outgrown by height before he was a year. He's in a rear-facing convertible seat now. Also, please excuse the snowman pj pants. lol. Christmas in July works right? :)

Okay...that one is definitely more accommodating than the one I had. So, now it appears that if, for some reason, RH had to drag this one out because RH forgot to leave the new one that day, it's very possible that the sunshade was still on, and that could explain why RH didn't see Cooper's head when he left the car and when he got back in?

That seat looks pretty big...your son is a little tight, but I can see why someone would use this if for a short ride if they were in a pinch, or if their child was smaller than your boy. Thanks...

View attachment 55653

Thank you SO MUCH!! This helps a lot! :)

I'm sure the daycare has been asked if a car seat was left there everyday with Cooper for Leanna to use when she picked him up. I can't imagine that as a long term solution... The bigger car seats are bulky and a pain to carry and install, especially while carryin an attending to a toddler. I can not imagine doing that every day, or several days a week.

There's a photo somewhere of the reenactment LE did with RH's vehicle and the car seat, does anyone know if the hood was on the seat?

invisibleninja, you rock :rockon:

Glad to put that argument to rest.

Thank you SO MUCH!! This helps a lot! :)

I'm sure the daycare has been asked if a car seat was left there everyday with Cooper for Leanna to use when she picked him up. I can't imagine that as a long term solution... The bigger car seats are bulky and a pain to carry and install, especially while carryin an attending to a toddler. I can not imagine doing that every day, or several days a week.

There's a photo somewhere of the reenactment LE did with RH's vehicle and the car seat, does anyone know if the hood was on the seat?

If the sunshade was attached, it would explain why RH did not see Cooper in the morning.

But then how did he see him while changing lanes? :thinking:

Another quandary .....

I think it's easy to see from the pic above of LilInvisibleNinja that Cooper must have been bent at the waist, as well as bent at the knees from contact with the bench seat, when removed and in full rigor. :(

Give LilInvisibleNinja a little extra treat or something for cooperating with Mom's experiment! :cupcake:

(And my kids wear pjs till they outgrow them or they wear out-- make no apologies for snowmen in July! My teenager had her Grinch pj bottoms on last night!)

I saw a Chicco Keyfit 30 in person at the park this week and it's TINY! My 21 month old who is just under 33 inches would look ridiculous in it. I agree in a car his feet would be bent up completely and he would be inches above the shell. I was actually really shocked by just how small it was. I don't think my son's shoulder would fit in it with out him being really crushed in! He's small for his age even!

View attachment 55653

I wish you could install it in a car and take this picture! Here his legs are straight out, but in a car rearfacing in the bucket he would real be scrunched with legs bent and sitting up more. He shoulders look so uncomfortable in this picture, btw!

Well, maybe that model is different than most--because I know my little one would have screamed bloody murder when his crotch got jammed up in there--and my boy was much smaller than Cooper was at that age. Regardless of whether he could fit in it or not, I think he was strapped in the back seat.

How big was Cooper? I missed this info. Thanks.

I have never heard. RH is 6' 2". LH isn't real tall 5' 3" maybe?
50 percentile on the boys growth chart for a 22mo old is 34 inches and 28#
CDC Boys growth chart 0-36 months
http://pediatrics.about.com/cs/growthcharts2/l/blboysbirth.htm
I would expect his height the be above 50% because RH was tall.

At 2 Years (most) boys are 1/2 of their adult height. Using that as a rule RH at 2 would have been about 37".

My guess 34"-35"

All posts are MOO

I agree!

From your link:

She won her science fair and has spent the past three years refining her now patented invention and developing a business plan. Her newest version of the Hot Seat uses a car seat sensor pad that communicates with a key fob. If a parent is more than 40 feet from the vehicle and the sensor pad senses that the child is still in the car, three alarms go off -- one on the key fob, one via a phone app, and one on the vehicle itself to alert others in the vicinity.

View attachment 55653

invisibleninja !!!! Thank you soooooo much!

And tell your sweet boy that Lovejac said he deserves an ice cream cone for being such a good sport! :blowkiss:

If the sunshade was attached, it would explain why RH did not see Cooper in the morning.

But then how did he see him while changing lanes? :thinking:

Another quandary .....

:gaah: And the plot thinkens

Fantastic! Thank you, for taking one for Team Cooper, invisibleninja and invisibleninjababy! Could invisibleninjababy, with his adorable long dark hair and precious little hands, breathe comfortably while strapped in that tightly? inb looks like the center strap is squeezing his crotch area as well as the strap across his lap. Why would JRH ever want to squeeze his child's manhood parts given that he and LH had a difficult time conceiving, or, at least, that's what I've read about his LowT?

Surely, LAA policy would not allow parents to leave young enrollees' carseats at the daycare overnight, over the weekend or for eight hours of any day. LAA could not accept the liability of being responsible for lost, damaged or stolen property such as car seats.

Here's how I see it. Cooper had outgrown his red, Chicco rear-facing infant's seat. The parents acquired a more suitable front-facing car seat for Cooper six weeks prior to his death but they only acquired one new, properly-fitted car seat for Cooper even though they shared equal duty taking and picking up Cooper from LAA daycare. The new car seat was installed in LHs car when she visited AL in May. LH and Cooper had been home from AL at least two weeks at TOD on June 18.

Can't we surmise that the out-grown infant seat was still in RHs Hyundai vehicle because the new front-facing car seat had never been installed in the Hyundai in the six weeks since it was acquired? Why were these conscientious parents not allowing Cooper to use the new, front-facing car seat?

The cutie pie in the provided photo looks much taller than little Cooper did when sitting in his car seat. imo.

Fantastic! Thank you, for taking one for Team Cooper, invisibleninja and invisibleninjababy! Could invisibleninjababy, with his adorable long dark hair and precious little hands, breathe comfortably while strapped in that tightly? inb looks like the center strap is squeezing his crotch area as well as the strap across his lap. Why would JRH ever want to squeeze his child's manhood parts given that he and LH had a difficult time conceiving, or, at least, that's what I've read about his LowT?

Surely, LAA policy would not allow parents to leave young enrollees' carseats at the daycare overnight, over the weekend or for eight hours of any day. LAA could not accept the liability of being responsible for lost, damaged or stolen property such as car seats.

Here's how I see it. Cooper had outgrown his red, Chicco rear-facing infant's seat. The parents acquired a more suitable front-facing car seat for Cooper six weeks prior to his death but they only acquired one new, properly-fitted car seat for Cooper even though they shared equal duty taking and picking up Cooper from LAA daycare. The new car seat was installed in LHs car when she visited AL in May. LH and Cooper had been home from AL at least two weeks at TOD on June 18.

Can't we surmise that the out-grown infant seat was still in RHs Hyundai vehicle because the new front-facing car seat had never been installed in the Hyundai in the six weeks since it was acquired? Why were these conscientious parents not allowing Cooper to use the new, front-facing car seat?
Det. Stoddard said RH had used ot for 2 weeks and then went back to the small one.

All posts are MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member