Cases That Haunt You

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I would also like to know what really happened to Etan Patz.

I remember seeing the movie with Kate Nelligan and Judd Hirsch called Without a Trace.That movie had a happy ending.I wish Etan would have had a happy ending as well.:shakehead:

The Etan Patz case shares some similarities with the Adam Walsh murder, in that there are many who feel they know who committed the crime but not enough evidence to bring a case to court. The suspect in the Patz disappearance, however, has been to civil court. Here is a passage from a cbs. com story, 2004:

As for Etan's case, the Manhattan D.A.'s office still calls it an "ongoing investigation." But after 25 years, the D.A. has yet to press criminal charges. So three years ago, Stan Patz took the painful step of having Etan declared legally dead. He then filed a lawsuit against Jose Ramos for the wrongful death of his son.

In April, a civil judge found in Stan Patz's favor.

Recently, 60 Minutes II sat down again with Stan Patz and his legal team: former prosecutor Stuart Grabois and the attorney who handled the civil case, Brian O'Dwyer.

Vicki Mabrey: "What is the real effect of the civil case?"

Brian O'Dwyer: "Well, there are three effects. One is the -- assignment of responsibility, that a court of law has told the world that Jose Antonio Ramos is responsible for the death of Etan Patz. Two, we're seeking a monetary judgment. And three, we have asked that the judge refer this to the sex offenders crime unit, to see that we can make sure that he never is in a room again alone with a young child."
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/06/01/60II/main620577.shtml

The movie Without a Trace was based on Still Missing, a book by Beth Gutcheon (one of my favorite writers). It is still in print and well worth reading.

Thank you for that link.I am going to read it right now.

I started a thread with this title about four years ago so I know what you mean about how certain cases haunt us.

Evelyn Hartley-1953
Beverly Potts-1951
Connie Smith-1952
Sheila and Katherine Lyon-1975
Janice Pockett-1973
Trenny Lynn Gibson-1976
Daniel Barter-1959
Alan and Terry Westerfield-1964
Karen Tompkins-1961
Ann Marie Burr-1961
Anna Waters-1973
Suzanne Lyall-1998
The three women missing from Indiana Dunes In July 1966-Patricia Blough, Ann Miller and Renee Bruhl
Madeline Babcock-1968
Michelle Pulsifer-1969
Jodi Huisuntruit-1995
Victor John Theel-1944

Edited to add:
Georgia Jean Weckler- 1947
Andy Puglisi (spelling?)-1976
Unsolved murders of Barbara and Patricia Grimes and Judith Mae Anderson-all in Chicago during the 1950's.

As one can see from the dates of these disappearances, the world was never really safe. It drives me nuts when people think that only recently has it been this way. They have no clue about these cold cases. It is good there are people like us who do know about these cases and keep their memory alive!

Bold by me:

http://tinyurl.com/c9jqmw

Kevin Collins - he disappeared near Golden Gate Park in San Francisco in the late 70s - he was I believe about 10 years old. I've always wondered what happened to him and have never forgotten him.

I was just re-reading this thread,God,there are so many.
I had to pass by the spot where Lonnie Jones body was discovered in 1951 today.
All the trees are wreathed in snow and it looks like a Christmas card.
I wondered if Im the only one that always thinks about him whenever they pass there.

I started a thread with this title about four years ago so I know what you mean about how certain cases haunt us.

Evelyn Hartley-1953
Beverly Potts-1951
Connie Smith-1952
Sheila and Katherine Lyon-1975
Janice Pockett-1973
Trenny Lynn Gibson-1976
Daniel Barter-1959
Alan and Terry Westerfield-1964
Karen Tompkins-1961
Ann Marie Burr-1961
Anna Waters-1973
Suzanne Lyall-1998
The three women missing from Indiana Dunes In July 1966-Patricia Blough, Ann Miller and Renee Bruhl
Madeline Babcock-1968
Michelle Pulsifer-1969
Jodi Huisuntruit-1995
Victor John Theel-1944

Edited to add:
Georgia Jean Weckler- 1947
Andy Puglisi (spelling?)-1976
Unsolved murders of Barbara and Patricia Grimes and Judith Mae Anderson-all in Chicago during the 1950's.

As one can see from the dates of these disappearances, the world was never really safe. It drives me nuts when people think that only recently has it been this way. They have no clue about these cold cases. It is good there are people like us who do know about these cases and keep their memory alive!

Bolded by me. I just wanted to put the link to the website Madeline's sister maintains for her.
http://members.fortunecity.com/maggyw/

I too get nightmares when i spend too much time reading about the missing.
A few years back I had to stop reading doe network. The Missing don't bother me as much as the unidentified bodies. I think its something about the artist renditions that give me nightmares. I can't do it any any longer.
I can read the charley network, but i think that is because the pictures show the missing in happier times.

i can't read about Tara Calico any longer. the duct tape picture is actually what made have to take a break..that and one other story.
I am terrible with names, but it was an elderly grandmother and her grandson that went missing. I remember there was a huge search for them. She was much older (70s or 80s?) and the boy was around 10..that really bothered me for some reason, i can't put my finger on it.

The grateful jason boy bothers me.
There was also a girl grateful dead follower who went missing too..and then her sister thought she saw her sister in a newstory on homeless...she thought she was a woman called the "Crier"

Does anyone else, when they pass very disheveled homeless on the street, wonder if they could be amongst the individuals on Charley project? Hawaii has a huge homeless populatiion..and sometimes when i see someone, i wonder who could be looking for them..

Indicajane,
Tara Calico also disturbs me. It is the only case I have ever had a nightmare about. Whenever I open the thread where the photo is displayed on the first thread I have to avert my eyes until I scroll past it.
When I first started coming on WS I could hardly look at morgue photos, etc. Now I'm used to it and can look at most anything. De-sensitization?

I also follow Anna Christian Waters, Sharon Marshall, and Christina Carter threads almost daily.

the lyons girls that went missing from wheaton md

that case has stuck in my mind over the years
growing up that what we heard
no, you cant go to the mall by yourself look what happend to the lyon girls
no, you cant walk home from school
and on and on

even the grandkids still hear it. my mom has never forgot that case,
I hate to say but everything happens for a reason maybe god wanted them home,
and it might of saved 100 other kids becouse im sure my mother was not the only one that has said that to there kids

we lived about 10 or 15 minutes from wheaton mall

Case File 169UFPA

What is up with this - no one seems to be missing this women.

The Doe Network:
Case File 169UFPA

Left & Center: Reconstructions of Victim by NCMEC
Right Sketch by PA State Police

Unidentified White Female

Located on December 20, 1976 in White Haven, Carbon County, Pennsylvania.
Estimated Date of Death: Less than 24 hours
Cause of Death: Strangled & shot in the neck
State of Remains: Dismembered

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vital Statistics

Estimated age: 16-22 years old. Her year of birth was estimated between 1954-1960.
Approximate Height and Weight: 5'4" - 163 cm; 150 lbs - 68 kg.
Distinguishing Characteristics: Brown eyes; brown hair. She had no previous fractures.
Distinguishing Marks: She had a small circular mole above her left eye, a mole on her left cheek and a 5.5" scar on her left leg, just above the heel.
Medical Information: She was carrying a full-term White female fetus. It is possible that the moles on her face developed at some time during her pregnancy.
Blood type: O
Dentals: Available.
DNA: Available

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Case History
On December 20, 1976, the dismembered remains of the victim were found in three suitcases along the Lehigh River in Carbon County, Pennsylvania, under a bridge of westbound Interstate Route 80.
She had been strangled, then shot in the neck and then dismembered with a fine, serrated tool. Her killer had removed her nose and ears.
It was determined that she had been dead less than 24 hours from the date she was found.
There were letters and numbers written on the left hand of the victim in ink (color of ink unknown). While there were different interpretations of what was actually written on the hand, almost definitely was WSR. Next to that was either a 4 or a 5. Below and to the right was either a 4 or 7. Police checked license plates and CB call signs but were unable to determine the significance of the notations. The ink would probably have lasted 8-12 hours.

The three suitcases the remains were found in were all the same size (23" x 14" x 7 1/2"). Two of them were blue in color, one was blue & tan plaid. The handles had been cut off of the suitcases before they were dropped at the site and the zippers had been painted with flat black paint.
Inside the suitcases, the police also found straw, dry packing foam, a cut up chenille bedspread and six sections of the New York Sunday News dated September 26, 1976. The bedspread was most likely originally pink in color, however, the worn and dirty condition made it appear more "rust" or "coral" colored. The bedspread had an embroidered yellow flower design.

Facial features such as the nose and the hair style are an artist's estimation to complete the image.

Investigators
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:
Pennsylvania State Police
570-459-3890

NCMEC #:
NCMU400049

NCIC Number:
U-833004226
Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

Source Information: National Center for Missing and Exploited Children
Pennsylvania Missing Persons

Return to the Unidentified Victims' Index

This is a very interesting thread. And I'm happy to see that Deanie Peters is on your list.
I have quite a few that just stick with me on an emotional level. None more than Dean Marie Pyle Peters though. Out of all the cases I know about, she is tops. I'd at5 least like to see her be found.

The names of the missing elderly woman and her grandson are Lillian R. Martin and Joshua Bryant. Joshua's remains were found in 2004, only 5 miles from

their home. Mrs. Martin's remains have never been found but it is presumed she is deceased as well. The main suspect in the case committed suicide one

month prior to Joshua's remains being discovered in 2004. This case has always bothered me as well.

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/m/martin_lillian.html

Anna Waters
Suzanne Davis/Tanya Hughes/Sharon Marshall
John David Gosch
Those three girls who disappeared from a Texas shopping mall -- I can't remember their names off the top of my head (they were two teens and a 9 year old, and they were Christmas shopping)

If I could find out what happened to these people before I died, I would be a happy woman.

BBM

http://www.missingtrio.com/TRIO/index.aspx

Julie Ann Moseley
Rachel Trlica
Lisa Renee Wilson

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads