Cases That Haunt You

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
It was actually September of 1981 that Polly walked away from her friends very fast, over a hill, and out of site in the Great Smoky Mountains. I always believed that she voluntarily wanted to disappear, but as to the reasons why, not sure.

Satch

Oops, I mis-typed. Thanks for catching that. I tend to agree with you that her disappearance was planned, but it is odd that she was never seen or heard from again and there is no clear reason why she would want to disappear. I would love to hear the opinions of Red or Truly or any of Polly's family members (her husband died, but I don't remember if she had kids or not).

Oops, I mis-typed. Thanks for catching that. I tend to agree with you that her disappearance was planned, but it is odd that she was never seen or heard from again and there is no clear reason why she would want to disappear. I would love to hear the opinions of Red or Truly or any of Polly's family members (her husband died, but I don't remember if she had kids or not).

Thanks for the article Sutton!

Another case that haunts me is little Dennis Martin, who vanished while on a hiking and camping trip with his family in the Smokies June 14, 1969. Dennis, along with his brother and friends, wanted to scare the adults by sneaking up behind them. His brother and friends went one way, and Dennis took off the other direction, alone.

When the other boys came back, Dennis was never seen or heard from again. Opinions vary as to did he get lost and die in the park? Fall and have an accident leading to serious injury and death? Or was he abducted as his family believes? I remember reading that the search made national news headlines with thousands of people and park officials involved for about four months. A set of child-like shoe prints was found near a river. And a witness recalled hearing what sounded like a child scream on the evening that Dennis vanished. Another incident said that a man had been hunting ginseng in the area a few years after Dennis vanished, and came across a small child's skull, but did not report it to authorities because he had been hunting ginseng illegally.

The skull story is often disputed. But I believe if true, those remains were Dennis' and he died of exposure/injury of being lost. I have posted in his thread a few years ago:

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...6-Great-Smoky-Mountains-Nat-Park-14-June-1969

Satch

Thanks for the article Sutton!

Another case that haunts me is little Dennis Martin, who vanished while on a hiking and camping trip with his family in the Smokies June 14, 1969. Dennis, along with his brother and friends, wanted to scare the adults by sneaking up behind them. His brother and friends went one way, and Dennis took off the other direction, alone.

When the other boys came back, Dennis was never seen or heard from again. Opinions vary as to did he get lost and die in the park? Fall and have an accident leading to serious injury and death? Or was he abducted as his family believes? I remember reading that the search made national news headlines with thousands of people and park officials involved for about four months. A set of child-like shoe prints was found near a river. And a witness recalled hearing what sounded like a child scream on the evening that Dennis vanished. Another incident said that a man had been hunting ginseng in the area a few years after Dennis vanished, and came across a small child's skull, but did not report it to authorities because he had been hunting ginseng illegally.

The skull story is often disputed. But I believe if true, those remains were Dennis' and he died of exposure/injury of being lost. I have posted in his thread a few years ago:

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...6-Great-Smoky-Mountains-Nat-Park-14-June-1969

Satch

Three theories of what happened to Dennis Martin and they are all haunting:

1.) He got lost in the park and/or injured. Dying from exposure.
2.) He was attacked by an animal and killed.
3.) He was abducted

Satch

RSBM. I wish I hadn't read your post, as Teghan's death will now haunt me.

No one will ever change my opinion about capital punishment, for the worst-of-the-worst-of-the-worst offenders. Jonathan Richardson lost his right to live, and his death is the closest thing to justice we will ever have.

I got into the case since it occurred about 40 miles from where I live -- there was no courtroom streaming for obvious reasons, but it was covered very well and thoroughly by MSM. The jury was not out long on the guilt phase, and they didn't take long on the penalty phase. Now Richardson is sitting in his special red jumpsuit (reserved for DP'ers) waiting for the needle -- it'll be a while, but I think it will happen.

Yes, this case was by far the worst I have ever seen. Her mom is charged with several serious crimes related to all of this, but it hasn't happened yet. No DP for her, but lots of years. Don't know why it hasn't happened.

I got into the case since it occurred about 40 miles from where I live -- there was no courtroom streaming for obvious reasons, but it was covered very well and thoroughly by MSM. The jury was not out long on the guilt phase, and they didn't take long on the penalty phase. Now Richardson is sitting in his special red jumpsuit (reserved for DP'ers) waiting for the needle -- it'll be a while, but I think it will happen.

Yes, this case was by far the worst I have ever seen. Her mom is charged with several serious crimes related to all of this, but it hasn't happened yet. No DP for her, but lots of years. Don't know why it hasn't happened.

Borndem, I was silently following along with all of you on that trial. I still can't get past what that child had to endure from that horrid Richardson. Worst that I have ever heard of! What's going on with the mother...I have tried to check, but haven't found anything. And that grandmother who didn't do anything...

There is a series of books called Missing 411 - by David Paulides. There are 4 books about 400 pages each which list people missing in National Parks. Including the ones people have listed here.

He's a little out there (Think UFO'S). But the main parts of the books is a listing of the National Park and the people who have disappeared. It's very detailed - name, age, date of disappearance, circumstances of the disappearance - if person or body was found. And if there were unusual circumstances when the body is find. 2 and 3 year old children found 15-20 miles away from where they disappeared, or found on a small island in the middle of a river - etc.

And the weird fact that National Parks don't keep a listing of people who disappear in them.

When the other boys came back, Dennis was never seen or heard from again...

Satch

RSBM. This is another interesting disappearance from the Smoky Mountains. I just read through Dennis' thread, and there are many good posts and 'rumors' as to his fate.

There were so many people searching for Dennis, it's hard to believe they only found one possible clue--a child's footprint in the mud. Getting lost and dying of hypothermia or injury or drowning is the most likely scenario, but there are several things that indicate otherwise. I will post those on his thread, though.

An article describing the search reads, "At one point 71 Green Berets were engaged, living in the mountains, eating rattlesnakes they came upon in their fruitless search for Dennis."

http://www.nationalparkstraveler.co...cases-are-scattered-throughout-national-parks

HiYa, BUF -- I did a little checking on Helen Reyes, Teghan's ~mother~, and there was nothing on the Johnston Co. Court docket, and she wasn't in the Dept. of Public Safety records -- those records list people who have been convicted of crimes and are now or were the responsibility of DPS (formerly Dept. of Corrections). Nothing current in local MSM about her either. She needs to be tried for what she did. Human decency and the laws of this state demand it, IMO. I try to keep up with her ~mother~ and so far nothing has happened.

RSBM. This is another interesting disappearance from the Smoky Mountains. I just read through Dennis' thread, and there are many good posts and 'rumors' as to his fate.

There were so many people searching for Dennis, it's hard to believe they only found one possible clue--a child's footprint in the mud. Getting lost and dying of hypothermia or injury or drowning is the most likely scenario, but there are several things that indicate otherwise. I will post those on his thread, though.

An article describing the search reads, "At one point 71 Green Berets were engaged, living in the mountains, eating rattlesnakes they came upon in their fruitless search for Dennis."

http://www.nationalparkstraveler.co...cases-are-scattered-throughout-national-parks

I remember reading about the Dennis Martin search,

It was a national manhunt that stretched for almost four months and covered thousands of acres of The Smokes. Problem was there was not good preparation. Searchers trampled and walked on paths, thicket, and underbrush. People volunteered that had little to no wilderness training or experience and got hurt. Paths were not properly closed off, and reference points were not clearly defined. The intentions of a quality search and dedication to finding Dennis was great. But the plan was not properly executed in a safe and organized way.

Now days, ranger and forestry training seminars I learned talk about the Dennis Martin case and what not to do in a search. Planning and organization is much better.

One question I have, what does RSBM mean? Only Internet lingo for that is "Remove Soil Before Mining."

Regards,

Satch

HiYa, BUF -- I did a little checking on Helen Reyes, Teghan's ~mother~, and there was nothing on the Johnston Co. Court docket, and she wasn't in the Dept. of Public Safety records -- those records list people who have been convicted of crimes and are now or were the responsibility of DPS (formerly Dept. of Corrections). Nothing current in local MSM about her either. She needs to be tried for what she did. Human decency and the laws of this state demand it, IMO. I try to keep up with her ~mother~ and so far nothing has happened.

Thanks so much for checking. I was hoping that there was something about her locally. Agree, she needs to be tried for what she did!

...One question I have, what does RSBM mean? Only Internet lingo for that is "Remove Soil Before Mining."

Regards,

Satch
RSBM means Respectfully Snipped By Me. Just to indicate to other readers that I left off part of your original post, but am not trying to change the context...usually just for space.

But Remove Soil Before Mining is an important tip--for miners. ;)

Whoa. That was terrible and terrifying. Is there thread on here for this ??

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk

Absoluely horrible!

In one of the links, it says that LE found a DNA link between the two killings, just days apart. These cases should both be a part of our Websleuths Community! Justice is needed for both families.

Satch

White Haven Beth Doe. She never got to hold her baby, just a few days away from birth. She never got to experience motherhood. Her life was cut short in a grisly, horrible murder of two.

Tammy Jo Alexander. It was my first UID case around 2012, back when she was Cali Doe. I discovered it out of the blue and was just shocked. The diner scene with the man haunted me for months. The diner scene wasn't gruesome or anything--dining with a man who was likely her killer--but I was just focused on it all. She was just eating, she had no idea she was about to die. It's so horrible and deceptive.

Walker County Jane Doe. That poor child. It's so awful. I swear, sometimes reading about her case, I can hear her screams.

Racine County Jane Doe. Huge case for me. One of the most heartbreaking cases.

It was her grandfather and my grandpop sam caseiro who found her. My dad was her first cousin and my grandfather and her dad were brothers. the detectives lost the evidence which made it hard to solve. I just could never understand this story. It sounds like something out of a horror film. My dad told me that when the family ended up moving to maine, my dad and his parents were the only caseiros in the phone book and someone called my grandmother a year later on July 23rd 1974 and said " Do you know what today is"? and hung up the phone.
Everywhere I go, let it be the pharmacy or somewhere in the area someone questions my last name. which made me curious on this case.

In 2010, Willingboro detectives came to my moms house in Burlington I guess because we are the only caseiros living in the Burlington county area still. They asked her about the cold case of Teresa caseiro and said they think they have a suspect who wanted to confess the murder because they were sick and dying and I guess didnt want to go to hell, and they wanted to confess their sins. She gave them my uncle al's number in maine but he never mentioned anything to the family or we never heard of it being solved.
I read a newspaper article that a witness saw a strange man walking in a close by neighborhood with a ice pick the day of her murder and was seen going into the home ... this still shocks me this isn't solved
Sorry for all the typos on this thread for my keypad is messed up

Ronaldo

It was her grandfather and my grandpop sam caseiro who found her. My dad was her first cousin and my grandfather and her dad were brothers. the detectives lost the evidence which made it hard to solve. I just could never understand this story. It sounds like something out of a horror film. My dad told me that when the family ended up moving to maine, my dad and his parents were the only caseiros in the phone book and someone called my grandmother a year later on July 23rd 1974 and said " Do you know what today is"? and hung up the phone.
Everywhere I go, let it be the pharmacy or somewhere in the area someone questions my last name. which made me curious on this case.

In 2010, Willingboro detectives came to my moms house in Burlington I guess because we are the only caseiros living in the Burlington county area still. They asked her about the cold case of Teresa caseiro and said they think they have a suspect who wanted to confess the murder because they were sick and dying and I guess didnt want to go to hell, and they wanted to confess their sins. She gave them my uncle al's number in maine but he never mentioned anything to the family or we never heard of it being solved.
I read a newspaper article that a witness saw a strange man walking in a close by neighborhood with a ice pick the day of her murder and was seen going into the home ... this still shocks me this isn't solved
Sorry for all the typos on this thread for my keypad is messed up

Ronaldo

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dokkuyifyi