Casey & Family Psychological Profile #1

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Take a look at the WFTV report. Not sure it belongs on this thread, but might give some insight into her personality:

<<Casey bought plenty of things for herself during the shopping sprees, but not a thing for Caylee, no diapers, no children's toys, no little girl's clothing.

Instead, Casey bought lingerie, beer and those big white sunglasses she's always hiding behind. She actually hit two Target stores within two hours. She even went home and changed clothes in between, right after she shopped at the Target on North Goldenrod Road.

Casey Anthony walked into the Winter Park Target on the morning of July 10 dressed in all black. Her daughter had disappeared more than three weeks earlier, but she didn't appear to be in mourning. Casey bought the big white sunglasses she's always wearing, bras, camisoles, chemises and she bought the blue hoodie (see hoodie) that she wore the first time she was arrested (see receipt).

Video shows her fidgeting when the cashier was about to verify the check, but the cashier never really took a close look even though Casey signed Amy Huizenga's name to the check and used her own driver's license as identification (read Huizenga's statement).

An hour and a half later, wearing the new white sunglasses and a totally different outfit, Casey Anthony walked into the Target on Alafaya Trail. She bought Bud Lite and a lot of food, but again nothing for her daughter Caylee. She was in the same store two days earlier, also paying with an allegedly stolen check.

CASEY AT BANK
Images | Raw Video

It appears Casey never had to lie her way through at Target stores, at the Winn Dixie, where she bought more beer, or even at the Bank of America on South Conway on July 15, the day before she was arrested.>>

Interesting that she used Amy's check, signed Amy's name, but used her own drivers license. Also intersting that she had a wardrobe change between Target store hits, even wearing the just-purchased-with-Amy's-stolen-checks infamous white shades.

She's something alright!

I truly don't know how to respond. If you don't think there is enough proof that Casey is a sociopathic compulsive liar then so be it. I respectfully and strongly disagree.

:clap::clap: Really what more can one say?

I'd love to know what her teachers from high school have to say about the type of person she was then. They would be non-biased mature adults, instead of the young immature "friends" of Casey we've been hearing from regarding her personality, and I bet we'd get a clearer look into what makes her tick.

me too me tooo... I wish we knew more about her history from other, non personality disordered adults.

Here's a thread that discusses what one of Casey's teachers thought of her. Thought you might like to see it.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71372&highlight=teacher

I think sometimes people are just plain selfish, narcissitic, and evil. And I think that's what Casey is. Anything else in a way "excuses" her behavior and actions. She knew full well what she was doing, thus the lies and coverup. She needs to be held FULLY accountable for ONCE in her life.

I agree.

Nancy Grace speaking with Dr. Leslie Austin (psychotherapist)

GRACE: Can you speak -- speak in English for me? Sociopathy? Are you saying, Dr. Austin, that she has a legitimate mental illness?

AUSTIN: No, I`m not saying it`s...

GRACE: OK.

AUSTIN: . a mental illness that excuses her actions but it is descriptive of someone who would commit criminal acts. There`s a characteristic behavior.

GRACE: OK, yes, no?

AUSTIN: Yes, she would criminal act.

GRACE: Is it a symptom of a mental illness? That`s the question.

AUSTIN: It`s a personality disorder, not a mental illness.

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0810/08/ng.01.html

Here's a thread that discusses what one of Casey's teachers thought of her. Thought you might like to see it.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71372&highlight=teacher

Really interesting, thank you! So what changed her from the girl she was in high school (IF it's true) to what she is now? I think Cindy plays a HUGE role in whatever it was. However. That still doesn't give Casey an excuse or license to do the things she did. Millions of people grow up with controlling/domineering mothers, or even fathers (speaking from experience). MOST go on to get an education and career and get the !F! out and away from the parent's control and become their own person! Just because it was an easier , path-of-least-resistance way to drop out of school, not work, steal and lie to cope with Cindy's controlling ways in NO WAY excuses her. She is still 100% accountable for her actions. IMHO.

I think sometimes people are just plain selfish, narcissitic, and evil. And I think that's what Casey is. Anything else in a way "excuses" her behavior and actions. She knew full well what she was doing, thus the lies and coverup. She needs to be held FULLY accountable for ONCE in her life.
I agree. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar. No excuses offered or asked for. BUT I will tend to wonder what makes it a cigar. :)

I agree. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar. No excuses offered or asked for. BUT I will tend to wonder what makes it a cigar. :)

Oh sure, we can all wonder, I certainly do too. Still doesn't change the fact for me that she's accountable in every way. Maybe one day we'll all know if she's got some sort of personality disorder. But, I say, so what? Outside of a full on mental illness where she had no idea what she was doing, or the difference between right and wrong, it doesn't matter.

Society and the legal system needs to hold her fully accountable for her heinous actions. Imagine, if Casey's capable of murdering her own sweet innocent little girl, who probably loved her dearly, what else is she capable of? Next time her evil could affect another innocent family, or your family, or my family. Put her away forever, she's already proven she's one EVIL human being. Once again, JMHO.

Oh sure, we can all wonder, I certainly do too. Still doesn't change the fact for me that she's accountable in every way. Maybe one day we'll all know if she's got some sort of personality disorder. But, I say, so what? Outside of a full on mental illness where she had no idea what she was doing, or the difference between right and wrong, it doesn't matter.

Society and the legal system needs to hold her fully accountable for her heinous actions. Imagine, if Casey's capable of murdering her own sweet innocent little girl, who probably loved her dearly, what else is she capable of? Next time her evil could affect another innocent family, or your family, or my family. Put her away forever, she's already proven she's one EVIL human being. Once again, JMHO.

I agree it doesn't matter in regard to the legal aspects of guilt or her accountability. However, if we are to ever know what makes people like Casey tick we have to make it matter to the point of understanding it the best we can. LE thinks it is significant enough to have a FBI profiler testify at the grand jury hearing. Her state of mind, psychological makeup and overall level of functioning is highly relevant. It isn't excuse-making, it is information important to understanding this case. She isn't criminally insane IMO, but why or how she could have done harm to her own child is of utmost importance to investigating this case. Most people intially react with shock, then denial that a mother could ever do something like this. The prosecution knows they must address this issue and explain her behavior to overcome some people's sterotype of the type of person who would commit such a hidious act. Consciousness of guilt, state of mind, etc. are all related to her personality and mental health (or lack thereof, depending on your perspective). :)

Really interesting, thank you! So what changed her from the girl she was in high school (IF it's true) to what she is now? I think Cindy plays a HUGE role in whatever it was. However. That still doesn't give Casey an excuse or license to do the things she did. Millions of people grow up with controlling/domineering mothers, or even fathers (speaking from experience). MOST go on to get an education and career and get the !F! out and away from the parent's control and become their own person! Just because it was an easier , path-of-least-resistance way to drop out of school, not work, steal and lie to cope with Cindy's controlling ways in NO WAY excuses her. She is still 100% accountable for her actions. IMHO.

See I don't see this as her being changed.. Reading that thread, the info from the teacher I see it as more confirmation as to who and what Casey (and obviously Cindy) now is. We are being allowed in a small way to see patterns being created, the setting of the stage of Casey's (and Caylee's) future.

It's pretty much what I expected though I think there is probably still more out there.

me too because the future of our Society depends on it!

I agree it doesn't matter in regard to the legal aspects of guilt or her accountability. However, if we are to ever know what makes people like Casey tick we have to make it matter to the point of understanding it the best we can. LE thinks it is significant enough to have a FBI profiler testify at the grand jury hearing. Her state of mind, psychological makeup and overall level of functioning is highly relevant. It isn't excuse-making, it is information important to understanding this case. She isn't criminally insane IMO, but why or how she could have done harm to her own child is of utmost importance to investigating this case. Most people intially react with shock, then denial that a mother could ever do something like this. The prosecution knows they must address this issue and explain her behavior to overcome some people's sterotype of the type of person who would commit such a hidious act. Consciousness of guilt, state of mind, etc. are all related to her personality and mental health (or lack thereof, depending on your perspective). :)

Once again I agree with you!

What changed? She got above the age of 18 and couldn't always be controlled any longer. Freedom is what changed and she wanted all of it. She got a taste of it for a while, then Caylee came along and interfered.

I bolded the statement I want to answer - that being WHY she did what she did. What if her "why" is because she was raised by a controlling mother and her way to deal with it/rebel against it was to lie, cheat, steal and eventually murder? Ok, then what? Do you now outlaw controlling mothers so this won't ever happen again? Probably every person in this world can claim there is something or someone in their childhood that affected them negatively, but that's still no excuse for going out and commiting crimes. You still have to adhere to society's rules if you want to be a part of that society, no matter what happened in your past or childhood.

And as far as "explaining her behavior" - could you really? Would there EVER be an explanation for what she did that made sense or made it acceptable? Why did Susan Smith murder her little boys? Freedom to be with a man. Why did Casey murder her daughter? Freedom to be with a man (or men, in her case).
Pure selfishness. That's just how I see this, I'm not trying to argue or convince anyone else.

I bolded the statement I want to answer - that being WHY she did what she did. What if her "why" is because she was raised by a controlling mother and her way to deal with it/rebel against it was to lie, cheat, steal and eventually murder? Ok, then what? Do you now outlaw controlling mothers so this won't ever happen again? Probably every person in this world can claim there is something or someone in their childhood that affected them negatively, but that's still no excuse for going out and commiting crimes. You still have to adhere to society's rules if you want to be a part of that society, no matter what happened in your past or childhood.

And as far as "explaining her behavior" - could you really? Would there EVER be an explanation for what she did that made sense or made it acceptable? Why did Susan Smith murder her little boys? Freedom to be with a man. Why did Casey murder her daughter? Freedom to be with a man (or men, in her case).
Pure selfishness. That's just how I see this, I'm not trying to argue or convince anyone else.
I think you are completely missing what I am trying to say. It isn't about making excuses or making violent behavior acceptable. That has absolutely nothing to do with it and should go without saying. The more we understand something the more control we have over it. To remain ignorant to the mental makeup of criminals will do nothing but make them more effective. The key is to understanding how it made sense to Casey to do whatever she did...not have it make sense to anyone else. Why did she choose to handle the situation as she did? You can say to be with a man but there are other ways to do that without killing your daughter. If there is ever going to be an effective prevention of this type of behavior you HAVE to know what you're dealing with. Maybe we never will know enough to make a difference but I damn well hope we don't give up trying.

Thanks RecoveringLurker for link to 'KC at Colonial HS" thread. Does it surprise us to learn that CA has always been a "helicopter parent," ready even back then to swoop down and strike at any authority figure who would dare to hold her child accountable...

Shortly after the hearing ended the Anthony family released the following statement:
"Judge Strickland's decision today to grant access to all of the tips regarding Caylee's sightings is a victory for Caylee Marie. This is the first step in bringing Caylee home safely." (Ch9 wftv.com)

I think you are completely missing what I am trying to say. It isn't about making excuses or making violent behavior acceptable. That has absolutely nothing to do with it and should go without saying. The more we understand something the more control we have over it. To remain ignorant to the mental makeup of criminals will do nothing but make them more effective. The key is to understanding how it made sense to Casey to do whatever she did...not have it make sense to anyone else. Why did she choose to handle the situation as she did? You can say to be with a man but there are other ways to do that without killing your daughter. If there is ever going to be an effective prevention of this type of behavior you HAVE to know what you're dealing with. Maybe we never will know enough to make a difference but I damn well hope we don't give up trying.

I see your point, and I agree we should try to understand it. I just don't think it matters as far as making her (or any other criminal) face the consequences, that's all.

So let's say the reason she did this is because she's a sociopath (just throwing it out there, I have no idea if that's what she is or not), and those seeds were planted in her over time beginning when she was very young. Or it's a "perfect storm" of many events in her life that led her to this. What would you think would be, as you say, an effective prevention to that? I'm truly curious, because I can't think of what that would be.

I just think sometimes people do things out of a purely selfish motivation, that's all. There doesn't always have to be a personality or mental "diagnosis" of some sort. JMHO.

I posted these thoughts on homicide thread but they really may belong more here... My general interpretation of the law is that (simply put) it is attempting to distinguish "legitimate" defects of the mind from those of the heart so to speak; and in turn seek retribution based on which of these is found present. There may be both in some instances, or none in others. But the legal insanity standard seeks in theory to establish (and to therefore protect those with) the presence of solely a mental one, sufficient to prevent comprehension at the time that their criminal actions are wrong. So in my very inexpert opinion then it would seem that those people with personality disorders have more (simply put) a "heart" defect if you will ("If I only had a heart...") albeit learned behavior as OneLostGirl once said. Which certainly isn't to say there's no underlying pathology, or a traceable cause, but no legally exhonerating ones. At the risk of repetition after CA had been in collusion with KC's lies, letting KC off for stealing from her and virtually every other offense for 22 years, CA finally decides to act like a parent and draws the line that Father's Day--threatening to hold KC accountable for the first time in her life. So in an odd sense KC is right then when she tells Lee, "I should've been stopped a long time ago." But this statement of KC's reveals both a weakness of conscience, and consciousness of guilt--and therefore a heart, as opposed to mental defect. Beyond which the law as I see it is essentially unconcerned w such nuances, coexisting disorders, contributing factors or how KC may have come to be the (defiant, irresponsible, blameshifting, deceitful, seemingly indifferent) person she appears to sadly have become. JMHO

IF I ONLY HAD A HEART
When a man's an empty kettle he should be on his mettle,
And yet I'm torn apart.
Just because I'm presumin' that I could be kind-a-human,
If I only had heart.
I'd be tender - I'd be gentle and awful sentimental
Regarding Love and Art.
I'd be friends with the sparrows ...
and the boys who shoots the arrows
If I only had a heart.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5RxCExyLeU

Status