Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello WS :)

I am writing about this in this way because we are on the psych thread. Whether or not someone is "good looking" or not should never go beyond our first initial shallow sometimes instinctual minds. All loving caring people would push any such thoughts(we all have them)out of their minds(and they do)and with awareness of their issues with the physical, use a deeper part of their intellect and being to continue forming an opinion. The issue of judging people by their looks is certainly a dialog humanity needs to have and I feel this issue is one part psychology and two parts learned cultural behavior that can be changed with time and understanding.

I have been called ugly and fat and gross, disgusting, a pig. I am one of the ugly people. I have seen boys look at my picture and give a collective "whoa!" (insert group laughter here along with back slaps, and high fives to give praise to he who gave the best insult) "Put a bag on that! Damn!"

I have also been called beautiful, and sexy. Intelligent and passionate. I have had a man who thought me so incredible as a woman inside and out, that he asked me to marry him. And people have been so bold as to go up to my husband, with me in the room and ask him what he is doing with me.

So, beauty is truly in the eye of the beholder.

I do not find Lee nor George good looking in the least.

I rarely think the people who other people think are "hot", are hot. I don't think of too many people that way. I have found a handful of people sexually attractive in my life. Other than love/sexual feelings toward someone, it does not matter to me what people look like. Some people, male and female have a captivating beauty that I admire but what I am finding beautiful is usually not what is the "traditional" idea of beauty. I do not like to use the term traditional idea of beauty, precisely because it is only the ideal of a few.

I have been judged for my looks and so I don't do that to other people. We all have a type we naturally find our selves attracted to, and I think that is different than judging people.

Casey and Cindy are also not my idea of beauty. I don't think the super models are good looking. Here I am being no different than anyone else saying someone isn't beautiful but it is crazy that only those who think they are beautiful think they have the corner market on thinking people are ugly.

The people you think are ugly might think you are ugly too.

There is a culture that wishes for their teeth to be black. The men and women take measures to darken blacken their teeth. They find the look to be the utmost in beauty. There is a culture where the women use rings to stretch their necks, elongating them by several inches. She who has the longest neck is most beautiful. Traditional people tend to think Europeans are funny looking, nay I say ugly. That includes Marlyn Monroe, and Megan Fox.

It needs to be said that beauty being in the eye of the beholder is not just a pretty quote. It is truth. So that is why any discussion of someone being pretty or ugly is just a shallow judgement made by someone or someones and not at all reality or the truth.

Neither is "Beauty is only skin deep" only a pretty quote, it is truth. I have seen someone and thought they were so beautiful but then I saw them act ugly and that is how I saw them from then on. Casey is that way. Regardless if she was ever beautiful, she could longer be that because of what she did to Caylee. :twocents:

People do see and talk about beauty but that is different than those people who actually judge and make true decisions based on other people's looks. Beauty is all around us and meant to be enjoyed, it is one of the biggest parts of the human experience. It is all in who and what you find beauty, and why you find it beautiful. imo.

Saying people are going to judge anyway is a cop out and to say "that's the way it is" is wrong. That is like saying some people judge based on skin color but "that's just the way it is" no, that is just the way it is for people who are like that. When I find myself judging something, anything based only on what it looks like: I would be ignorant to the highest degree to think anything other than I am the one in error. It is I who is being ugly.

So the "facts may be" that people "judge" by looks but only shallow people stay in that place. Non shallow people will have that instant "like or dislike" moment when seeing something for the first time: our brains are wired this way-but for those who actually judge someone on their looks-that is a whole 'nother issue. That is the kind of people the Anthony's are: they proved that to me during the Morgan and Morgan interview when Cindy showed her ignorance and shallow heart in saying "Zanny was a ten" and that the woman in front of her was "not a ten." I am sure Cindy would defend herself for her words, she sees nothing wrong because 'people judge based on looks', right?

When you say, "hey people are gonna judge what you look like" you reveal yourself to be one of those people. And, saying it is "the way it is" does not make it right. The people that hire people because they are thin and do not hire people because they are fat, are not right. They are sad and ignorant and what is "just the way it is" is the fact that shallow people are allowed to make important decisions. :snooty:

Not everyone is like that, who is it that admits they judge people like this and feels fine in saying so? Not good people. Those of us who are considered "ugly" sure do not see the world in that way and we would be ashamed to admit we had treated someone different in anyway because of what we perceive on the outside.

:cow:

I am writing about this in this way because we are on the psych thread. Whether or not someone is "good looking" or not should never go beyond our first initial shallow sometimes instinctual minds. All loving caring people would push any such thoughts(we all have them)out of their minds(and they do)and with awareness of their issues with the physical, use a deeper part of their intellect and being to continue forming an opinion. The issue of judging people by their looks is certainly a dialog humanity needs to have and I feel this issue is one part psychology and two parts learned cultural behavior that can be changed with time and understanding.

I have been called ugly and fat and gross, disgusting, a pig. I am one of the ugly people. I have seen boys look at my picture and give a collective "whoa!" (insert group laughter here along with back slaps, and high fives to give praise to he who gave the best insult) "Put a bag on that! Damn!"

I have also been called beautiful, and sexy. Intelligent and passionate. I have had a man who thought me so incredible as a woman inside and out, that he asked me to marry him. And people have been so bold as to go up to my husband, with me in the room and ask him what he is doing with me.

I rarely think the people who other people think are "hot", are hot. I don't think of too many people that way. I have found a handful of people sexually attractive in my life. Other than love/sexual feelings toward someone, it does not matter to me what people look like. Some people, male and female have a captivating beauty that I admire but what I am finding beautiful is usually not what is the "traditional" idea of beauty. I do not like to use the term traditional idea of beauty, precisely because it is only the ideal of a few.

I have been judged for my looks and so I don't do that to other people. We all have a type we naturally find our selves attracted to, and I think that is different than judging people.

Casey and Cindy are also not my idea of beauty. I don't think the super models are good looking. Here I am being no different than anyone else saying someone isn't beautiful but it is crazy that only those who think they are beautiful think they have the corner market on thinking people are ugly.

There is a culture that wishes for their teeth to be black. The men and women take measures to darken blacken their teeth. They find the look to be the utmost in beauty. There is a culture where the women use rings to stretch their necks, elongating them by several inches. She who has the longest neck is most beautiful. Traditional people tend to think Europeans are funny looking, nay I say ugly. That includes Marlyn Monroe, and Megan Fox.

It needs to be said that beauty being in the eye of the beholder is not just a pretty quote. It is truth. So that is why any discussion of someone being pretty or ugly is just a shallow judgement made by someone or someones and not at all reality or the truth.

Neither is "Beauty is only skin deep" only a pretty quote, it is truth. I have seen someone and thought they were so beautiful but then I saw them act ugly and that is how I saw them from then on. Casey is that way. Regardless if she was ever beautiful, she could longer be that because of what she did to Caylee. :twocents:

People do see and talk about beauty but that is different than those people who actually judge and make true decisions based on other people's looks. Beauty is all around us and meant to be enjoyed, it is one of the biggest parts of the human experience. It is all in who and what you find beauty, and why you find it beautiful. imo.

Saying people are going to judge anyway is a cop out and to say "that's the way it is" is wrong. That is like saying some people judge based on skin color but "that's just the way it is" no, that is just the way it is for people who are like that. When I find myself judging something, anything based only on what it looks like: I would be ignorant to the highest degree to think anything other than I am the one in error. It is I who is being ugly.

So the "facts may be" that people "judge" by looks but only shallow people stay in that place. Non shallow people will have that instant "like or dislike" moment when seeing something for the first time: our brains are wired this way-but for those who actually judge someone on their looks-that is a whole 'nother issue. That is the kind of people the Anthony's are: they proved that to me during the Morgan and Morgan interview when Cindy showed her ignorance and shallow heart in saying "Zanny was a ten" and that the woman in front of her was "not a ten." I am sure Cindy would defend herself for her words, she sees nothing wrong because 'people judge based on looks', right?

When you say, "hey people are gonna judge what you look like" you reveal yourself to be one of those people. And, saying it is "the way it is" does not make it right. The people that hire people because they are thin and do not hire people because they are fat, are not right. They are sad and ignorant and what is "just the way it is" is the fact that shallow people are allowed to make important decisions. :snooty:

Not everyone is like that, who is it that admits they judge people like this and feels fine in saying so? Not good people. Those of us who are considered "ugly" sure do not see the world in that way and we would be ashamed to admit we had treated someone different in anyway because of what we perceive on the outside.

:blowkiss:

:gold_crown:

I guess I hit home with that one. Relax Chiquita. If you feel good about yourself, you don't have to convince me. This is my opinion that most people judge others on their visual first - it may change after they get to know the person, but it is logical that one would immediately make an opinion on their visual first. You overlook my statement that this society is obsessed with looks and go on to lecture me for a statement that is imo true. If you have not noticed it, then so be it.

I guess I hit home with that one. Relax Chiquita. If you feel good about yourself, you don't have to convince me. This is my opinion that most people judge others on their visual first - it may change after they get to know the person, but it is logical that one would immediately make an opinion on their visual first. You overlook my statement that this society is obsessed with looks and go on to lecture me for a statement that is imo true. If you have not noticed it, then so be it.

Quote Respect Solace

I feel very strongly about this subject as it has effected my whole life, and no-I sometimes don't feel very good about myself-I have had to think about this very subject and put it in perspective so I can live in this world. To treat someone in a different manner because of their looks is wrong, the people who do that are wrong. It is what I would tell any child who encountered this problem. Would you tell a child "that is just the way society is?"

People do have a "judgement" when they first get a visual of a person, but my point was only shallow people would treat the person poorly or make decisions about the person(i.e. hire them for a job)based on that "first visual." Only shallow people would defend the idea or the actions taken based on that judgement afterward. That "first visual" you are speaking of and continuing to treat people in a certain way because of a judgement someone made about them because of their looks are two different things. imo.

People who are not seen as "the beautiful" know very well that those who think they are "hot" judge people based on their looks, we have noticed it...and that is why I am saying it is wrong. To me, the argument goes like this: well, people are gonna judge you for your skin color, or because your a woman...oh well...that's just the way it is.

It is just the way it is because people who are shallow act that way, not because it is some kind of natural part of life itself. Slavery was just the way it was, once...that argument could be made but the question is: would you want to make that argument?

Its not people that are gonna do that...it's certain people that do that.

If you are not one of them relax, you don't have to convince me. :)

:twocents:

Quote Respect Solace

I feel very strongly about this subject as it has effected my whole life, and no-I sometimes don't feel very good about myself-I have had to think about this very subject and put it in perspective so I can live in this world. To treat someone in a different manner because of their looks is wrong, the people who do that are wrong. It is what I would tell any child who encountered this problem. Would you tell a child "that is just the way society is?"

People do have a "judgement" when they first get a visual of a person, but my point was only shallow people would treat the person poorly or make decisions about the person(i.e. hire them for a job)based on that "first visual." Only shallow people would defend the idea or the actions taken based on that judgement afterward. That "first visual" you are speaking of and continuing to treat people in a certain way because of a judgement someone made about them because of their looks are two different things. imo.

People who are not seen as "the beautiful" know very well that those who think they are "hot" judge people based on their looks, we have noticed it...and that is why I am saying it is wrong. To me, the argument goes like this: well, people are gonna judge you for your skin color, or because your a woman...oh well...that's just the way it is.

It is just the way it is because people who are shallow act that way, not because it is some kind of natural part of life itself. Slavery was just the way it was, once...that argument could be made but the question is: would you want to make that argument?

Its not people that are gonna do that...it's certain people that do that.

If you are not one of them relax, you don't have to convince me. :)

:twocents:

Well said and so true. Those who judge too quickly on looks sometimes miss out on the most interesting people in the world. They are not necessarily the most attractive on the outside until you get to know them and then you see them as they actually are. A gift.

OK KIDS,

Mom's here. Please everyone. I can tell people are getting angry. Some posts harsh words are starting to get directed at the other posters. Please just step away for a bit if you get frustrated OK?

I am working on something that will be very helpful for everyone. It is a computer screen that when a poster on Websleuths says something really annoying you will be able to reach through the screen with a bit floppy wet trout and fish slap them. It's quite amazing really.

Until then please practice restraint.

Thank you,
Tricia

OK KIDS,

Mom's here. Please everyone. I can tell people are getting angry. Some posts harsh words are starting to get directed at the other posters. Please just step away for a bit if you get frustrated OK?

I am working on something that will be very helpful for everyone. It is a computer screen that when a poster on Websleuths says something really annoying you will be able to reach through the screen with a bit floppy wet trout and fish slap them. It's quite amazing really.

Until then please practice restraint.

Thank you,
Tricia

Done and I apologize.

I'm not liking the sounds of this floppy fish and reaching through the computer screen.......:waitasec:

LOL

You, my friend- are beautiful!

To even things out folks, God made physically beautiful people dumb. :crazy:
I hope everyone knows I'm joking but I think different people make hasty judgments for different reasons all the time. For instance, an 'ugly' person might assume a 'pretty/handsome' person is uncaring, conceited or unkind due to their preconceived notion that good looking people are shallow and only care about themselves.

IMO there are ugly ugly people; ugly beautiful people; beautiful beautiful people and beautiful ugly people.

Why are we talking about this again? Let's all watch Forest Gump. :blushing:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhJQp-q1Y1s[/ame]

Back to topic...

Cindy mentioned that Lee is like her and Casey more like George. I find this statement to be truthful and telling. Casey learned by watching her parents that you don't have to be responsible financially. Remember, George left the family & blew his 401k money on a new car for himself. I suspect there were extramarital affairs throughout the marriage, which Cindy ignored. He didn't even give her money toward the tax bill (but he feels bad about that). yeah right...

Casey learned that you can lie and steal from Cindy instead of working. She learned from her Papa Joe.

Lee is put into the role of "the pillar of strength." Cindy expects him to shoulder the burden and step in where her absentee spouse (curious George) should be. The best thing Lee could do for himself is run and never look back. Unfortunately, I think Cindy has manipulated him to the point of no return.

JMO

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Yanno, I may get into big trouble for taking up a lot of bw space, but I felt compelled to keep your post intact.

I think that your post is outstanding. I also agree with every opinion you shared.

I'd like to add that I feel (Anna) Eleanor Roosevelt was beautiful. Stunning even.

To try and keep my post at least a little bit on topic, I am hoping that the jury is insightful, intelligent and not the least bit affected by ICA's appearance. Especially when it comes to the penalty phase of this trial.

ICA is one of the most revolting people I have ever encountered, yet our society would judge her appearance as cute, petite and sweet. What a simply gorgeous smile she had dosen't she? :sick: However, inside she is a sociopath and ugly as sin.

Back to topic...

Cindy mentioned that Lee is like her and Casey more like George. I find this statement to be truthful and telling. Casey learned by watching her parents that you don't have to be responsible financially. Remember, George left the family & blew his 401k money on a new car for himself. I suspect there were extramarital affairs throughout the marriage, which Cindy ignored. He didn't even give her money toward the tax bill (but he feels bad about that). yeah right...

Casey learned that you can lie and steal from Cindy instead of working. She learned from her Papa Joe.

Lee is put into the role of "the pillar of strength." Cindy expects him to shoulder the burden and step in where her absentee spouse (curious George) should be. The best thing Lee could do for himself is run and never look back. Unfortunately, I think Cindy has manipulated him to the point of no return.

JMO

It's hard to say what the "real" truth is between these two, CA and GA but apparently they both did not appear to be faithful to each other and may have some type of agreement between the two of them. CA is definitely the stronger one for control issues and not admitting the truth while GA has "reality" moments on his side but does not act on them for fear of how CA will react. They are definitely tied together. They just lack that devotional aspect in their marriage. jmo

Beauty fades but dumb is forever...JMHO

Terrible isn't it that folk are judged by their appearances and not their actions. In this case there is a baby's life involved and I suspect whoever sits on this jury will get justice for Caylee..I don't care how pretty someone sees this defendant, IMO, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I don't see anything really that attractive when I see this accused child killer. I see a selfish thief who didn't put a hard days work into her schedule. She mooched and leached off people, latching on to one guy after the other, after the other, BSing her way through life. Well, she now has the life she made for herself and I do hope she will be very happy and comfortable there for she's there for the long haul...JMHO

She has attorneys who, if they keep up this way, those jurors will grow to dislike them and their client. She is digging her own grave and I just hope she'll be thrilled with the outcome, for I do believe she will be found guilty but not given a DP sentence due to no COD...but she will go down...JMHO

Justice for Caylee

The anthony's do seem to be obsessed with physical beauty, and it's sad to think that Casey was probably brought up to believe that her looks were all she had to offer the world. It's certainly not an excuse for what she did, but I can't help feeling sorry for her in some ways. I have a five year old daughter who is exceptionally pretty, and I get quite annoyed with people who insist on telling her that constantly. I really try to highlight all of her other qualities to her, so that she realises that her beauty is not that important. It's very hard when there seems to be so much emphasis put on being attractive these days.

I was about to send Chiquita an apology this morning and went into my messages and found she had sent me a message. Chiquita I am very very sorry for the post I put up last week - it was ridiculous and I could rationalize and say it was a tough week and was not thinking straight, but really it was just an unthinking post and should not have been done.

I am so sorry and would like to put it behind us. I really do not judge people on their looks and the last thing I want to do is offend anyone. I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Solace

I was about to send Chiquita an apology this morning and went into my messages and found she had sent me a message. Chiquita I am very very sorry for the post I put up last week - it was ridiculous and I could rationalize and say it was a tough week and was not thinking straight, but really it was just an unthinking post and should not have been done.

I am so sorry and would like to put it behind us. I really do not judge people on their looks and the last thing I want to do is offend anyone. I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Solace

Actually, maybe what Chiquita had to say was what we all needed to hear and you were just the vessel to bring it out. It is human nature to "size up a situation" probably a defense measure going back to the stoneage. LOL Is this person threatening or am I safe? So it's probably built into our defense system but our intelligence should immediately kick in. So don't beat yourself up.

Actually, maybe what Chiquita had to say was what we all needed to hear and you were just the vessel to bring it out. It is human nature to "size up a situation" probably a defense measure going back to the stoneage. LOL Is this person threatening or am I safe? So it's probably built into our defense system but our intelligence should immediately kick in. So don't beat yourself up.

Thanks LambChop and have a nice Thanksgiving. Solace

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member