Chase Merritt SENTENCED TO DEATH for murder of McStay Family POST TRIAL THOUGHTS

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Don't tease us mate!

What things?
  • There had to have been a tandem driver for him to have dropped the Trooper off at the border. The Trooper also doesn’t appear to be in the neighbor surveillance video.
  • LE took Merritt’s truck completely apart and found no evidence of blood or decomp, which means there had to been another means of transporting 4 bodies.
  • 2 set of tracks at the 2 set of graves. Maybe made by one vehicle, but perhaps not. If the same vehicle, why?
  • The absence of blood and apparent struggle in the home if this was the actual crime scene screams a meticulous clean up.
  • It would be very difficult to control, subdue and then bludgeon 4 people by one individual armed with only a sledgehammer.
  • Merritt had a flurry of phone calls between himself and his girlfriend in the minutes leading up to meeting with Joseph. Why?
  • Merritt’s girlfriend is the very first and only person he called the morning of the 6th that pinged the Quartzite tower. Why?
  • A call was made from Joseph’s phone to Chase’s phone on the night of the 4th at 8:28 when it is believed they were already deceased. Was this a ruse by Chase to make it appear Joseph was alive? Or was it his tandem driver using Joseph’s phone to contact not realizing Chase had turned his phone off?
There are things not provided at trial, others (girlfriend, siblings, acquaintances) whose phone records and doings for those days that may line up with assisting Merritt but not enough evidence to charge said individuals. I’m hopeful they aren’t done investigating but I’m not optimistic this late in.

Hi everyone!
Long time no see. I was wondering if anyone ever got the scuttlebutt on what the deal was with McGee during the trial. Also did he and Maline have a falling out? I remember the McGee thing was very hush-hush at the time, but I thought by now something would have leaked.

Finally, I am on the right thread (latest)! I haven't followed this case past the sentencing and I see a lot has been discussed. I will have a lot of catching up to do. I posted a thread on the original McStay (private) forums asking if anyone is aware of any post-trial documentaries about this case (other than the Oxygen one). So many lingering questions...

Hi everyone!
Long time no see. I was wondering if anyone ever got the scuttlebutt on what the deal was with McGee during the trial. Also did he and Maline have a falling out? I remember the McGee thing was very hush-hush at the time, but I thought by now something would have leaked.

I'd like to get the transcripts; they are not sealed.

Finally, I am on the right thread (latest)! I haven't followed this case past the sentencing and I see a lot has been discussed. I will have a lot of catching up to do. I posted a thread on the original McStay (private) forums asking if anyone is aware of any post-trial documentaries about this case (other than the Oxygen one). So many lingering questions...
I did hear from a credible source that the producer filming the trial sold his footage to a network known for its reality shows. I guess Chase won’t be the next Netflix star.

It doesn’t matter what mud is thrown he has been found guilty.

he had motive and the time to do this.
And guilty verdicts are very, very hard to overturn, even when you have a wrongful conviction. These guys do years when they are innocent.

• There had to have been a tandem driver for him to have dropped the Trooper off at the border. The Trooper also doesn’t appear to be in the neighbor surveillance video.
  • LE took Merritt’s truck completely apart and found no evidence of blood or decomp, which means there had to been another means of transporting 4 bodies.
  • 2 set of tracks at the 2 set of graves. Maybe made by one vehicle, but perhaps not. If the same vehicle, why?
  • The absence of blood and apparent struggle in the home if this was the actual crime scene screams a meticulous clean up.
  • It would be very difficult to control, subdue and then bludgeon 4 people by one individual armed with only a sledgehammer.
  • Merritt had a flurry of phone calls between himself and his girlfriend in the minutes leading up to meeting with Joseph. Why?
  • Merritt’s girlfriend is the very first and only person he called the morning of the 6th that pinged the Quartzite tower. Why?
  • A call was made from Joseph’s phone to Chase’s phone on the night of the 4th at 8:28 when it is believed they were already deceased. Was this a ruse by Chase to make it appear Joseph was alive? Or was it his tandem driver using Joseph’s phone to contact not realizing Chase had turned his phone off?
There are things not provided at trial, others (girlfriend, siblings, acquaintances) whose phone records and doings for those days that may line up with assisting Merritt but not enough evidence to charge said individuals. I’m hopeful they aren’t done investigating but I’m not optimistic this late in.
You have a good point about him needing a ride back from the border after dropping off the car there. The lack of blood in the home is why I thought that they kidnapped them first and killed them at the Mojave Desert.

I always wondered if there was a sexual aspect to these murders..not just Summer, but maybe all of them..
I'm not kidding..this was a sick crime and it had to be about more than the few thousand dollars he stole or the money he owed Joey which he could have easily paid back with the jobs he was getting.

I hate this case and I hate Chase Merritt. He is the most despicable and the worst of the worst.

another thing I remember we always wondered if there was something of value at that home that Chase wanted and was stolen...so many things appeared to be missing..I feel like there had to be more than the checkbook..

sad we will never know unless he comes clean and that is unlikely. mOO

also the dirtbag was jealous of Joey because Joey hadn't ruined his life and could get a house and his life was on the up...CM wanted the business...for sure..so jealousy was a huge motivation..but I think other motives are involved..something he stole..I just know it...doesn't matter now I guess but there had to be something timely and this was all pre decided and arranged...he def had a plan...and executed it...

I so wish we could get to the bottom of it. mOO

You have a good point about him needing a ride back from the border after dropping off the car there. The lack of blood in the home is why I thought that they kidnapped them first and killed them at the Mojave Desert.

Patrick also suggested this in one of the documentaries. I think it was a CNN one.

• There had to have been a tandem driver for him to have dropped the Trooper off at the border. The Trooper also doesn’t appear to be in the neighbor surveillance video. (Force Ten, you are close. The Trooper was hauled to the border, which is why the hood wasn't hot.)
  • LE took Merritt’s truck completely apart and found no evidence of blood or decomp, which means there had to been another means of transporting 4 bodies. (Their bodies weren't in Merritt's truck.)
  • The absence of blood and apparent struggle in the home if this was the actual crime scene screams a meticulous clean up. (They weren't killed there.)
  • It would be very difficult to control, subdue and then bludgeon 4 people by one individual armed with only a sledgehammer. (The sledgehammer was a red herring, deliberately placed in the grave. Everything found at the graves was intentionally and carefully staged.)
  • A call was made from Joseph’s phone to Chase’s phone on the night of the 4th at 8:28 when it is believed they were already deceased. Was this a ruse by Chase to make it appear Joseph was alive? Or was it his tandem driver using Joseph’s phone to contact not realizing Chase had turned his phone off? (They were still alive, but taken and being held, at that point.)
There are things not provided at trial, others (girlfriend, siblings, acquaintances) whose phone records and doings for those days that may line up with assisting Merritt but not enough evidence to charge said individuals. I’m hopeful they aren’t done investigating but I’m not optimistic this late in. (I have yet to find anyone in LE actually interested in knowing what happened. I haven't looked at my notes in so long that I can't recall the explanation to your other questions.)

He might have used public transport from dumping the car.

Also, it looks like there was blood on the table.

Merritt's daughter told the truth in her testimony, but her father was not innocent. It just didn't go down how prosecutors claimed. They didn't press Merritt about the cut on his hand, because it didn't fit their theory's timeline. The debt Merritt owed was a drop in the bucket, but that's where they stopped. There are reasons Merritt will never tell the truth. Being innocent isn't one of them.

Sarah Taylor Jarvis lied several times on the stand. The prosecutor had her cornered in untruths and embellishments several times. I do feel sorry for her though. It must be very traumatic to be CM's daughter.

I used to think he had help but now I don’t as he is would turn on that person if it meant lesser time.

I think we know he had a bitter hatred for Summer and Joey cutting him off at lunch and it just escalated into the cold blooded murder of the families.

Look at the over kill on them and that’s years of pent up anger over Summer and her in his eyes making him feel like a piece of and making Joey a sucker. I also definitely think he could of raped her to show her who was in control in those final hours. She saw though his entire act and unfortunately paid the ultimate price.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mili
Back