Chuck and Judith Cox file for custody

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good post Melanie and I understand your concern about Josh having input on who should counsel the children. However, if I can add, it might not be such a bad idea to have Josh's input.

He will have to speak his objections toward each and every counselor. I think it's a good idea to have Josh talking to officials. The more he says, the more he will show his true concerns and fears about the children being with outsiders. I believe he is really stressed that the boys will tell what they know or perceive about their mother's disappearance and the home life with Josh and grandpa since that time.

With his insistance of wanting input into who counsels the boys, he's put himself and his thoughts in the spotlight even more. He's bound to slip up and reveal something critical. I'm betting on that.
JMO

Good post.

I agree. He already showed his hand big time. He showed today that the emotional well being of his children was not his highest priority. It was making sure no one talked to the boys about their mothers disappearance. That was extremely clear during the hearing. And I gotta say it shocked me that he was so blatant about it.

I "snapped" (print screen) this right after the ruling was announced that the kids would be staying with the Cox's.

jp1g.jpg

Does anyone know who these people are sitting behind Josh in this picture. Did he have anyone there to support him?

grayjay, to the best of my recollection, the judge ordered and JP agreed to a psych eval to help determine future placement of the children.

Will scamper back and try to bring up the tweet indicating same.

Thanks, ynot! I'm loving this! I think this could be a big help in sorting everything out, and possibly very helpful far beyond the custody matter, once the results are back. :great:

JMO

Did they order a psych eval for him, leading up to the Nov 15th hearing? I know he agreed to one but I didn't get the feed on that part so I'm wondering. I had one of those long ago in a custody fight. He might shoot himself in the foot at his own kitchen table, if he has to complete one of those.

JMO

My ex and his new wife wanted us to have one, too. It was long and cost quite a bit of money back 20 years ago. Can't even imagine how much one would cost now. Funny thing about that was the Judge ordered it for all of us, me, my new husband, our two kids, and then blew them out of the water when he ordered he and his wife take one, too. Whew! We passed if you can call it that....they both had issues and the kids stayed with us. This is a man that took me to court every year for eight years and two years in that eight he took us twice a year. He also requested that our children go live in a foster home if they wouldn't give them to him and his wife. Thank God that Judge also didn't buy into that nonsense. Seriously this family seems so much like the one I took my kids and ran away from. It brings back lots of bad memories.

JMO

found out he couldnt bully a judge. now we see that common sense does prevail in some courts of law.

I'm betting like someone else said earlier that Josh will go to his sons school. I think he'll be talking to the office about the child, asking to see him, and/or try to run into his child there. I'm also fairly certain that he will stalk the Cox's and try to frequent the same places they do. I'm worried he might try and pay someone back for taking his kids. I would stay very aware if I were the Cox's, the Graves, and any more people he is blaming instead of blaming himself. I don't think it's a good idea that he know what counselor the children are going to. That's just one more place for him to try and pull off some crazy stunt and I'm not trusting him one ounce.

JMO

I'm betting like someone else said earlier that Josh will go to his sons school. I think he'll be talking to the office about the child, asking to see him, and/or try to run into his child there. I'm also fairly certain that he will stalk the Cox's and try to frequent the same places they do. I'm worried he might try and pay someone back for taking his kids. I would stay very aware if I were the Cox's, the Graves, and any more people he is blaming instead of blaming himself. I don't think it's a good idea that he know what counselor the children are going to. That's just one more place for him to try and pull off some crazy stunt and I'm not trusting him one ounce.

JMO

Exactly my fears. Desperate people go to desperate measures. Would these scenarios be in his best interest? Heck NO! but have we seen stalker mentality before? You bet yer sweet bippy we have, too many times. :twocents:

KevinKIRO Kevin McCarty
Judge Kathryn Nelson re: custody of #susancoxpowell kids. Ruling: "The children cannot be safely returned home at this time"

@KevinKIRO
Kevin McCarty
Judge will not return kids of #susancoxpowell to father Joshua Powell. Asking about her parents now. AG says "Only viable relatives"

:great::great::great::great:

:rocker::rocker::rocker::rocker:

:rollercoaster:

Boy was I glad to read this! In court myself all day and so I didn't have a chance until now.

@KevinKIRO
Kevin McCarty
Joshua Powell agrees to psychological evaluation in effort to regain custody of kids with #susancoxpowell in the future and have visits
2 minutes ago via web
Favorite Retweet Reply

This is a BIG development!

It is. But, having read a gazillion of those evals, I know that some sociopaths are good at hiding the reality of their psychology. They often come off as "deceptive" or "unable to read."

Brooke4Trib Brooke Adams

Josh: Sons should have as much visitation with me as possible, overnight and weekends and supervised visitation is not required.

Don't ya' just love how he tried to school the judge with what was and was not required? After she just ordered supervised visits? Ha ha ha ha ha!!!!

Wow Josh sure does have a problem with Church and God. Well let's just see what that loathing will do for you Josh ....

Yeah, and why does he get to determine whether or not they got to church? Their mom is religious. She's LDS. She insisted her kids go to temple. Shouldn't her beliefs have some weight? If he so loves his missing wife and just wants her home, why is he against them going to her church, you know, the one they were raised in until he murdered their mom?

Didn't he just talk about how the boys wanted to leave the foster home? Something about them wanting to come "home?" Well if they can't come home, it looks to me like the second best thing "in the best interest of the children" would be to go with a kinship placement. Esp. since the boys "home" is now being rented out is my understanding.

Yeah, I remember that. he said they were upset. Well, they are not anymore, you unusual person you.

So in a typical custody battle, the one with the most financial resources wins?

Not necessarily. As some have already stated, in most custody cases, if one spouse or parent has more money, he or she may be ordered to contribute to the other party's attorney's fees.

In cases of guardianship cases, there are no such attorney's fees orders. At least in California. In juvenile dependency cases, like when the state took the kids and the court needs to rule, usually, a parent without funds can be appointed an attorney, paid for by the state. Again, in California, at least.

What about legal aid....or maybe they wouldn't touch it with the allegations out there?

I do some work for Legal Aid. We do a ton of divorce, custody and DV cases. That's all I do for them. But, they have a lot of leeway when it comes to deciding whether or not to take a case. Legal Aid folks are not the type to want to take a case for a guy like JP.
Also, he would have to qualify financially. He would have to have virtually no property and be declared indigent. I don't know his situation but I have a feeling, since he has been supported by daddy (they look at the last few weeks at least of income sources) that he would qualify.

I only just finished reading this thread, didn't listen to the live feed. A few notes of mine:

1-Josh didn't want them to go to church for a reason and I do not think it is his hatred of the Mormon church. I think the children will be exposed to more of Susan's friends and those kids will remember something or tell someone something.

2-Josh able to choose what councilor the children will have was a big win for him. This worry's me. How many pedophiles have respectful careers? If JP and SP are in a network they would know one of them.

3-The Child going to his school I understand but I'm willing to bet major money that I don't have that JP will attempt to see his child there.

4-JP when he has his supervised visits will attempt to instigate a situation to have the children removed. Either by tattling on the Cox's or accuse the person supervising with something. My guess is JP will constantly complain to where the Children will be returned to foster care.

5-The Cox's has a win but it wasn't a big win for JP still is controlling. I believe the Judge should have been more stern then she was.

Does the Mormon Church have evening church or non Sundays? LOL

Also as others have said, JP cannot choose the counselor. He can have input, meaning he is supposed to come to an agreement with the other side.

I don't think he will have any luck instigating anything. If he acts inappropriately during visits, they can cancel the visit and the Coxes could file to eliminate them altogether.

JP has only supervised visits with the Coxes. That means he cannot see them outside of those visits. He cannot go to their school to see them. Likely, the school and the teachers will be given a copy of the court order and they will follow it.

This was a MAJOR loss for JP. I am beyond happy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hope he rots and soon.

I will continue to pray for LE to bring this drama to a quick conclusion! REAL quick this guy is scaring me more and more. I keep thinking how unusual this family is, but then I change that thought to: I hope this family is unusual!!!

Wow, this just keeps getting more twisted. I see that Josh admitted to taking pictures of women's legs and that he stored some of SP's "stuff" on his computer?

Josh has some awfully big cahones sitting in court talking about his concern for his children, really?!!! I doubt Chuck or Judy Cox have piles of *advertiser censored* or naked relatives walking around their house ...

With what has been disclosed in the past few weeks about JP & SP, a judge would be nuts to ever give those children back.

Though I think we have only seen the tip of the iceberg, I am shocked at the revelations coming out slowly. God bless the persistent LE, family and friends in this case. Susan Powell is surely smiling down on them.

Children are resilient and getting these boys into a stable home will start them on a healing path. They are young now and it will be easy to get them on a good path. Keeping them on a good path may take more work. No matter how you flip it, they will have huge burdens on them going into adolescence and adulthood. IMO this is when they are going to need a good counselor as they get old enough to question what occurred and why.

My family has several past suicides and it is like a blemish that you have some relatives that had some big problems. Seems mild compared to all they will have to contemplate - possible murder, mental illness, family feuding, religious issues, illegal sexual activities, and the publicity of it all.

I hope LE can provide them with some answers that they will one day be looking for and I hope the Cox family watches closely for signs they may need periodic counseling at points in their lives.

Today is a good day for these young men.

For those of you are just catching up and haven't had time to read this whole thread from today,..........While they were in court, another Websleuther brought our attention to an article today in the local paper. This may be good fodder for the judge to review when she makes a decision on this case and the TRUTHFULNESS, OR NOT of Josh Powell.

There's NO way in heck JP didn't know what SP had and was doing. NO way!:liar:

fran

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44707767

*advertiser censored* was factor in Steven Powell divorce

In the court documents, Terri Powell wrote that Steve Powell talked of teaching his children about birth control methods when they were as young as 9 years old. Terri's sister, Becky Mulcahy, wrote in the documents that Steve Powell told her that he had shown his youngest children books about sexual intercourse when they were 6 and 8 years old.

Terri Powell said her husband viewed people as animals and that they should be able to have sex with anyone at any time. She recalled a conversation in which Josh referred to a girl his brother, Johnny, liked. "All she is good for is her body, right Dad?" Terri recalled Josh saying.

"Yeah, that's right," Steve Powell replied, according to the declaration.

<<<<<<<<<< more at link >>>>>>>>>>>>

I'm not at all worried about the kiddo while he's at school. Schools have to deal with this sort of thing all the time, so they already have policies in place for it. Given the high profile nature of this case, they'll be extra vigilant I'm sure.

For those of you are just catching up and haven't had time to read this whole thread from today,..........While they were in court, another Websleuther brought our attention to an article today in the local paper. This may be good fodder for the judge to review when she makes a decision on this case and the TRUTHFULNESS, OR NOT of Josh Powell.

fran

In the court documents, Terri Powell wrote that Steve Powell talked of teaching his children about birth control methods when they were as young as 9 years old. Terri's sister, Becky Mulcahy, wrote in the documents that Steve Powell told her that he had shown his youngest children books about sexual intercourse when they were 6 and 8 years old.

Terri Powell said her husband viewed people as animals and that they should be able to have sex with anyone at any time. She recalled a conversation in which Josh referred to a girl his brother, Johnny, liked. "All she is good for is her body, right Dad?" Terri recalled Josh saying.

My first question after reading that story is weren't the Powell children interviewed about the allegations back then? If yes, why was he given custody. If no, WHY NOT??!!! :waitasec:

I think we will be hearing a lot more from Terri, JP's mother. SP no longer has leverage of the grand children and she can voice what she knows about SP and still have her grand children in her life.

Gitana, I'm so glad you are following this thread! Having you help us answer the legal questions is just plain awesome! :highfive:

fran

After everything I've learned since last Friday, none of this surprises me now! But I still get sick over and over again. :sick:

IMO and only IMO, this is not the face of a suicidal individual.

This IMO is the face of a person doing a lot of rapid math in his head while trying to calculate his next move.

LOL I hate to disagree with you but that look on his face? Looks just exactly like the look on my 17 month old grandson's face just before he fills his pants!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dmccastor