Closing Arguments- Chase Merritt Charged W/Murder of Joseph, Summer, Gianni and Joe Jr McStay #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
At 18:00 in the following video, with jury absent, McGee tells the judge that during the morning break a McStay family member was observed speaking with the witness neighbor Ms. Mitchley in front of the jurors:

Last edited:
At 18:00 in the following video, with jury absent, McGee tells the judge that during the morning break a McStay family member was observed speaking with the witness neighbor Ms. Mitchley in front of the jurors:

A family member speaking to a witness neighbor of the deceased victims is infinitely different than a member of the defense team seeking out members of the jury, albeit alternates. The defense team, as officers of the court, have the highest responsibility for integrity and ethical behavior.

A family member speaking to a witness neighbor of the deceased victims is infinitely different than a member of the defense team seeking out members of the jury, albeit alternates. The defense team, as officers of the court, have the highest responsibility for integrity and ethical behavior.

The film crew is not member of the defense team.

The issue with the family member speaking to the witness was they were doing so in front of the jurors, a violation of rules.

The issue with the family member speaking to the witness was they were doing so in front of the jurors, a violation of rules.

As long as both witnesses have already testified, they can talk to each other. The exclusionary rule is applicable before they've testified. I don't even think the exclusionary rule was applied in this case, so it may not have been an issue anyway.

My issue is why the hell were the witnesses and the jurors even in the same area?! That is just asking for a mistrial. That is ridiculous! Was that the case throughout the entire trial?!

So , the judge asked they not have discussions about the case in public areas where jurors or media might overhear them. For all we know they could have been talking about the weather. That they were talking to each other was not the issue.
FAR different from media or defense team approaching an active alternate juror while deliberations are in process.

Looks like Robert Wallace is -

Several new members either joined or are positioned to join Merritt’s defense team and were present during Friday’s court proceedings.

Forensics expert Randolph Beasley has also joined Merritt’s team, as has media advisor Robert Wallace.

Defense: AT&T not providing subpoenaed records in McStay family murder case – San Bernardino Sun

Prosecutor Britt Imes says they want assurance that for all months of trial the 12 deliberating jurors were not approached by "hyperactive" member of defense team. Smith will consider it
Richard K. De Atley (@RKDeAtley) | Twitter

As long as both witnesses have already testified, they can talk to each other. The exclusionary rule is applicable before they've testified. I don't even think the exclusionary rule was applied in this case, so it may not have been an issue anyway.

My issue is why the hell were the witnesses and the jurors even in the same area?! That is just asking for a mistrial. That is ridiculous! Was that the case throughout the entire trial?!

It was either right before or right after Ms Mitchley's testimony, and before Mike McStay testified.

Also, Mike McStay, who was to testify right after Ms. Mitchley, was apparently sitting in the front of the audience watching Ms. Mitchley testifying. You can catch a glimpse of him getting up briefly around 40:20 here:

Attachments

• mitchley4020.jpg
    mitchley4020.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 5
I don't want a verdict today, that isn't long enough. They need more time than that. They have a lot to go over and go through.

That's what I've always thought too. Then, how did they all end up dead and buried?

I agree that a verdict today would be too quick. I am guessing end of day Wednesday or Thursday morning.

As for the trigger, to the killings.... I think Joey figured out about the first stolen check, and confronted Chase about it. They argued and things got ugly.

I don't think Joey flat out fired him , yet. But he probably said he wasn't paying him anymore until a certain amount was paid back. He probably wanted Chase to keep working, to pay some of the debt off , before he would receive any more cash.

Whatever form the argument came , I believe Joey 'disrespected' Chase, and made it clear that he wasn't going to allow things to coast along as before. Joey wanted to be paid back and he wasn't cutting Chase in on the new jobs until Chase worked off some of his debts.

I think Chase had a lot of buried anger/resentment. He felt like he should be co-owner. He should be the one building a new home for his family, with 100k in his checking account. And now Joey was disrespecting him, harshly criticising him, and after all Chase had done to build top this company, by his own sweat and talent.

That's right, Mike was in the court room for the whole thing. So they didn't invoke the exclusionary rule. Which makes sense after 9 years. People would have talked to each other anyway.

It was either right before or right after Ms Mitchley's testimony, and before Mike McStay testified.

Also, Mike McStay, who was to testify right after Ms. Mitchley, was apparently sitting in the front of the audience watching Ms. Mitchley testifying. You can catch a glimpse of him getting up briefly around 40:20 here:

Looks like Robert Wallace is -

Several new members either joined or are positioned to join Merritt’s defense team and were present during Friday’s court proceedings.

Forensics expert Randolph Beasley has also joined Merritt’s team, as has media advisor Robert Wallace.

Defense: AT&T not providing subpoenaed records in McStay family murder case – San Bernardino Sun

Prosecutor Britt Imes says they want assurance that for all months of trial the 12 deliberating jurors were not approached by "hyperactive" member of defense team. Smith will consider it
Richard K. De Atley (@RKDeAtley) | Twitter
Yep - That was July ,2016 . Even if he’s no longer “technically” on the defense team , he certainly has ties & he CERTAINLY knows better than to speak with active alternate jurors.
If he is still actively part of the team there needs to be consequences for all of them.

My goodness this turn of events blew my socks off. Was this guy some over eager idiot or was he complicit with the whole defense team? He is an actual member per reports.

Anybody in their right mind knows you can't tamper with a jury! Was this an attempt by the defense to force a mistrial? No wonder Judge Smith needs a couple days to get to the bottom of this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay