Closing arguments- thread #173

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It was part of the jury instructions that what is said by the lawyers is not evidence so If he has something up his sleeve with no witness to testify to it, then it can't be considered as evidence.
I'm not sure KN cares enough to slide further down the branch limb for JA and risk falling into a pit. I'm pretty sure he'll stick to the sex talk because he likes to make jurors recoil. No revelations just what's legally required is my expectation.

I found this. It appears no new evidence can be brought in now.
Closing argument - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A closing argument, summation, or summing up is the concluding statement of each party's counsel (often called an attorney in the United States) reiterating the important arguments for the trier of fact, often the jury, in a court case. A closing argument occurs after the presentation of evidence. A closing argument may not contain any new information and may only use evidence introduced at trial. It is not customary to raise objections during closing arguments, except for egregious behavior. However, such objections, when made, can prove critical later in order to preserve appellate issues.

But, after Nurmi we get Juan again. Don't want to miss that.

When Juan get his 2nd turn after Nurmi, I hope he plays the segment of the "No jury will convict me" and brings out pictures of Travis in life and happiness, and then crime scene and autopsy photos of TA to leave a lasting imprint with the jury of the brutality of this crime.

Has anyone put together clips of the parts of Martinez's closing that got a head shake, a "no, I didn't", a chuckle, eye roll, a smile or some other response/reaction from Jodi? I'd love to see them one after another just to get an idea of what she reacts to.

Just saw the clip where she reacted to when he mentioned her sleeping under the Christmas tree.:notgood::notgood:

I didn't do clips but I did write a list:
JA reacted to
gas can, no refund
faking orgasm
Juan calls her borderline
Christmas tree scenario
burglary of grandparents
Budget rental (not through Priceline)
KY lotion
her courting the media
Laughter when he discusses her just watching Travis before he knew she was there on June 4 and she laughs.
gave him a really dirty look when Juan says "Thank God Travis had the new camera" (because that caught the images of the murder.

The only thing that will personally "shock" me today...and worry me...is if Nurmi actually brings up the Budget / Priceline thing. I would like to think it's late enough in the day that posting this will not give them any ideas! LOL!!

But yeah...it seems like Juan was wrong about that one point yesterday. And if Nurmi can make it seem like Juan was wrong about that, he can try to make it that Juan was wrong about everything.

NOT that it would be effective...but not beyond that he would try it! LOL!!

WTF I just heard Daniel Freeman on Nancy Grace...he is soooo weird. WHY would he go visit Jodi in jail several times??? He said he didn't own a tv he didn't know everyhing and he couldn't believe she had done it. WTF DANIEL FREEMAN??? Obviously, he was obsessed with her, probably thought about her every night doing you know what. I'm sorry if that is crude but I just can't stand that guy I wish NG wouldn't have him on anymore!!!! WHAT KIND OF FRIEND IS HE????? If there was someone EVEN SUSPECTED of killing my friend, I would not then go and VISIT THE SUSPECT in jail SEVERAL TIMES. WTF man, that is so wrong.

He saw her when she was still saying the two intruders killed him. When he was subpoenaed, he had no idea until he was in the courtroom that she was using self-defense and saying all that other nonsense about Travis. I believe there's an interview with more information. Nancy Grace tends to cut everyone off in mid-sentence.

Somehow despite the fog JA knew to clean her bloody hands before handling the Clorox bottle. Just one of the fab zingers JM offered yesterday. So much for JA's claim that she "woke up" in the desert with bloody hands she then cleaned using the Costco water.

I don't understand how JA was able to drive that far. After all the adrenaline rush was over she would have been exhausted and had to sleep.

After hearing what Skye Hughes said about Travis being afraid to totally get JA out of his life because she had threatened to kill herself, I now believe that is why JA had the gun. I think she held the gun to her head when they were in the bathroom and Travis was sitting in the shower. Maybe Travis did jump up and "lunge" at her to stop her and that's when she brought out the hidden knife. All more of her evil manipulation.

wow! what an interesting thought. this could really be what happened. never even thought about this! thanks for the insight

BBM

Absolutely agree! I don't think an expert can testify here without having first submitted a report to both sides. And then the DT trying to prevent the prosecution from access to ALV's notes as well?!??

There are those who have said this DT are good lawyers, they have a horrible case to work with, etc. If that's true it still doesn't give them a free pass to knowingly put liars as witnesses on the stand, which they did IMO.

Seems like AZ courts are loosey goosey on a lotta stuff (e. g., length of time in the courtroom, allowance of sidebars). :twocents:

I have always thought that the magazine messages (witness tampering) was a very important thing. Then when the incompetent ALV testified that JA stopped "lying" after the supposed last story was told, I thought is was a bombshell bit of evidence. Because it absolutely contradicts DT experts contention that JA stopped lying. So, does anyone believe he will address JA's attempt at witness tampering (magazine message) in the final part of his closing?

I think that his explanation of the case and how the law applies was so clear that things like the magazine (which was never really flushed out in court) are a distraction.

The simplicity of the explanation of premeditated murder needs to be maintained, IMO, and hammered down a few more times if necessary, but no new issues.

Respectfully, I am allowed to be nervous.

Think about their questions. At least one or two of those jurors asked excellent questions and appeared to already know the answer by the way the question was read. That would give the appearance this juror wanted this clear so that ALL the jurors understood. There are at least two great leaders on this jury, IMO. One, I'm sure will be the foreman.

One thing the jurors cannot ignore.....she either brought the gun and killed him, or she took his gun and killed him. Either way they vote it's murder one.

Many of you are excited I'm sure that JM gets the last word, but I'm kind of hoping JA does. Now before you throw veggies some third world child may like, hear me out. I want the last thing the jury to hear is JA's own voice saying "If I did this I would beg for the death penalty"

"I rest my case" so I guess JM would get the last word even in that scenario And I leave you with these words ......
[video=youtube;If1yxmaJ14M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=If1yxmaJ14M[/video]

Why don't we ASSUME the jury will do exactly as they are instructed and give them the benefit of the doubt?

WHY saddle THEM with a load from another jury and another case from two years ago?

Would anyone here want to be treated as if they weren't a cogent, respectable, law-abiding person who can and will follow the judge's instructions? Would anyone here want to be compared to some other group--a group that has nothing to do with the current jury?

No way.

Don't 'hope' the jury follows what the judge tells them to do. ASSUME they will!

And if there is blame in that last case...well...good 'ol Judge Melvin Blowhard Perry assured the acquittal as much as anyone. HE even picked some of the jurors, allowing jurors who openly said they didn't think it was "fair" to judge someone. Further, he directly impacted the jury instructions and confused the jury with all the charges. :banghead:

Thanks for the reminder. I know many of us carry the extra baggage from that trial. You're right. Let's make the assumption that these smart jurors will do their duty.

Does anyone have a link to when KN laughed during JM's closing yesterday?

One time was when JM noted that a naked Travis wouldn't have followed JA out the door if she'd tried to escape. That might have been toward the end during his jury instructions tutorial.

Regarding those saying that Wilmott was "disgusted" with Jodi, was pulling away as she was listening to Juan's retelling of the story, etc.

Are you saying that she doesn't know this case - and what in fact happened - forwards and back like Juan does?

That is SCARY to me!!! I mean I know they have to do their job, but to disconnect from the facts seems wrong. If she was just remembering what in fact Jodi had done, while listening to it play out in "real time" from Juan, then that doesn't seem like the right way to defend someone! Do your job, but NEVER forget what they are there for!

I noticed that after a while WIlmott did pull away from her and not only that but it was like Willmott was listening to Juan's closing as if "I'd better pay attention and listen to the MASTER do his job so I can LEARN A THING OR TOO how to do my job more effectively.

I got up and cleaned for 15 minutes. I think that's plenty.

I have to start reading up on that case. Everyone is saying its the next "one" but I have no clue about it at all!

BBM. Don't invite Mark over.

I think that his explanation of the case and how the law applies was so clear that things like the magazine (which was never really flushed out in court) are a distraction.

The simplicity of the explanation of premeditated murder needs to be maintained, IMO, and hammered down a few more times if necessary, but no new issues.

They could assume it was meant for ALV because she kept changing her story. One juror even asked if it was meant for her and she acted as if she was unaware of what they were speaking about. This would be true if the magazine was caught by the jail, which it was, and never delivered to the intended person.

I'll be at work today. But, will stream from AZ Central as long as my connection is good. It is normally, but then I get busy!

Anywhoo.... for all those saying not sure they can watch Nurmi, I betcha you will. ;)

This is the finale, we all have to participate, no?

:juanettes: :juanettes: :juanettes:

Nope, I won't be watching. Or I should say I won't be listening. I'll have HLN on and it will be on mute. I cannot listen to that man drone on and on and on for 5 hours. I'll read along here and get the gist of what he is saying, but that's it.

Yes, he did.

[I think you misread my comment.]

And this, too:

Spideywear_zps85bfe1eb.jpg

If these panties even existed...I wonder if her credit card statements or bank statements were checked for such a purchase. Not that she couldn't have just paid cash, but if she ordered online there should be a record of the purchase. I also wonder if she had a paypal account.

When Juan get his 2nd turn after Nurmi, I hope he plays the segment of the "No jury will convict me" and brings out pictures of Travis in life and happiness, and then crime scene and autopsy photos of TA to leave a lasting imprint with the jury of the brutality of this crime.

And then finishes with the segment (paraphrasing)....If I killed Travis I would beg for the Death Penalty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
australianwebsleuth