Found Deceased CO - Adam Gilbertson, 29, Denver, 14 Dec 2017

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I've been thinking much of the same regards lack of a formal search, no real information from LE or Family since the first few days. Doesn't suggest foul play or feeling that he is lost in the area. And the complete lack of any new information on phone, security video's, credit card records, etc. is very concerning. Agreed that it is as if he just went 'poof'. Nothing to work with at all. Only have to believe that LE and family are on to leads and can't share right now.

I would like to see all the gay clubs in the immediate area hold a New Year's eve benefit to help find Adam. 20% of the cover to go towards a P.I. that his parents are hiring (?).

I would love to see this type of solidarity.
Of course it would be nice if *all* clubs in the vicinity (gay or not) participate.

Nothing on the news, no searches. NOTHING. Friends in Denver haven’t seen anything on the local news coverage. No updates from the family, nothing from LE.

I haven’t been on WS a long time, and I know it varies from case to case, but is this normal?

I'd say I've followed 3-4 cases just like this one every year for several years and most of them were found a few months later in the nearest body of water.

I would like to see all the gay clubs in the immediate area hold a New Year's eve benefit to help find Adam. 20% of the cover to go towards a P.I. that his parents are hiring (?).

I would love to see this type of solidarity.
Of course it would be nice if *all* clubs in the vicinity (gay or not) participate.

This would be better shared on the Facebook pages of the bars and clubs in question then on here. It's a lovely thought.

In the candle video, I thought he looked teary. However, bleery/boozy could certainly appear teary as well. I still think the video looks like a farewell statement. I certainly hope I'm wrong.

I would recommend looking in abandoned buildings within close proximity. I don't think he's far.

There's also a possibility that he fell or was injured in a location that is obscured. There have been a few cases in the past years of people being discovered in walls or chimneys after years of being there.... Maybe he went up to see a view from a building.

Had he discovered or had access to any cool urban exploration locations in town?

Adam sent this video to a friend battling cancer prior to his disappearance. He asked her permission to post it. Before she responded, Adam went missing so she posted on his behalf that Friday 12/15. I imagine it’s from a few days prior to his disappearance. She encouraged sharing of it to provide more insight to Adams character.....and hopefully the search efforts for him strong.

https://vimeo.com/249049182

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Adam sent this video to a friend battling cancer prior to his disappearance. He asked her permission to post it. Before she responded, Adam went missing so she posted on his behalf that Friday 12/15. I imagine it’s from a few days prior to his disappearance. She encouraged sharing of it to provide more insight to Adams character.....and hopefully the search efforts for him strong.

https://vimeo.com/249049182

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Does he have 2 friends with cancer?!
The person who can't use her legs but just had a screen showing she was cancer free and the person he's talking to in his post? There is no doubt Adam is a very caring and sensitive man.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Good morning everyone. I registered and elected to speak up because I feel that I have some perspective that may be worthy -- not just to conjecture or speculation, but to solving this puzzle. I did not personally know Adam, even though we have many mutual friends on social media. However, it does happen that I am a former gay bar employee of two Denver gay bars, neither of which were Charlie's. My greater tenure was with the first bar, who vied with Charlie's for the definitive Country Western go-to -- a pretty important image to maintain if you have it, as this is wild frontier west Denver, Colorado, after all. This is not to say we stood much a chance for claiming that title, however, so long as Charlie's continued featuring country line dancing on Fridays/Saturdays with an MC/DJ team that had a very committed following.

For reasons I cannot know because I'm far more an aloof creative type than a shrewd businessperson, Charlie's just up and decided to toss their crown jewel in order to pursue the garden variety Gen Y Miley Cyrus-Rhiannah-135bpm+ demographic that seemed to be doing well across the street at X-Bar. Without ten seconds' consideration, it was arranged that line dancing would be move to our location -- which was struggling to meet baseline sales goals on Friday and Saturday nights up until then, to be honest -- whereupon we immediately increased door count four to ten fold. Our "bar" was really more like a club that consisted of three or four separate bars, depending on the night, with their own attendant feel to them. I was privileged to work behind the bar where the line dancing event was to be held, which I say now because I learned quite a lot about sorts of things that went on consistently over at Charlie's via the refugee staff now under our employ. As the first night wore down, and by 1am and it was really just the DJ, MC, the other bartender, and myself left in the room, the DJ relayed that "even she, a staff member, had been dosed with something more than once" at her prior establishment. The MC corroborated this, explaining that he had to lift her off the ground two nights prior, even though he knows "she can handle her liquor, and only drinks one thing anyway... she has never just chosen to abandon her integrity." The MC went on to cite several other examples of recent memory where people he knew suddenly became drastically altered in ways their characters had never suggested that it was something they wanted. To this, I was amazed, because I had heard from patrons of the "rival" bar on more than one occasion that they did not feel quite right despite doing nothing unusual with their imbibing habits. If the DJ's incident was the only time I had heard of drink-dosing at Charlie's, I would have been a lot more ambivalent about how honest allegations were about the true nature of her former workplace. That allegation was maintained rather forcefully, though, by many of Charlie's other bartending staff had migrated to us around that time, too, and on their own, these new colleagues one-by-one spoke to me about the abnormal incident rate that happened at their bar as opposed to what they were hearing about other bars. I also am not a total philistine and read the news, and so I know that if it is not one thing, it is another at the 900 block of Colfax -- the muggings and burglaries in the Charlie's parking lot and near the entrance to the bar are sickeningly high.

Let me be clear that I am not here to slam Charlie's, as I have no stakes in the game -- I do not work for any gay bar right now. Let me also be clear that a lot of Charlie's conundrums have a lot to do with their location, which, if you're not familiar with Colfax Ave., could be compared to what San Francisco's Union Square might be like if it was still an ungentrified Barbary Coast; Colfax is very much still a Pirate's street. Just a few blocks from Charlie's, there was (may still be, I don't know) a white supremacist beachhead at 1400 Ogden, from which actual jackbooted skinheads in suspenders would harass people they believed to be Jewish. (http://www.westword.com/news/willia...rrested-for-vandalism-assault-warrant-9271781) Both antisemetic and homophobic/transphobic graffiti have increased by exponential figures in that Capitol Hill neighborhood from 2016 to 2017 -- and also across America. Leaving the political argument out now, it is not totally implausible that drink spiking -- which I wholeheartedly believe happens at Charlie's from the abundant testimonies of disparate populations that have gone there and experienced inexplicable sickness -- is not just another way that sickos from that neighborhood are targeting a vulnerable population.

But here's the thing about that, then: generally the drink spiking that happens these days when someone claims to have been "ruffied", is from the club drug GHB. Via anecdotes of people that are in the harm reduction business, the mix of GHB and liquor is one that is explicitly warned against by even the most reckless drug users. And when someone does ingest the two together, the resulting sickness would appear immediately.

If someone had spiked Adam's drink, it was probably not with GHB. But that it doesn't mean he did not get dosed. Again, this is going on the recent precedent for drink-spiking at that bar, however downplayed their leadership may make of it. Given the kinds of things you can find right there on the surrounding blocks -- according to the Denver Post crime report, the possibilities are kind of endless -- something that takes a little bit longer to come up like an orally ingested opioid or psychostimulant would maybe explainhow an abstract-thinking and largely self-aware person might hold it together for an hour after leaving the one suspect bar and then suddenly find himself traipsing across a veritable active runway to the metro's primary interstate system. Or why the unlocked side door. Or why the keys inside but no Adam. Or why the phone wasn't placed in a recharge port. Those are basic things someone experiencing a sudden altered state they did not anticipate coming on may fail to perform with their normal effortlessness.

The other thing I need to bring up is that there is in fact another gay bar across the street just on the other side of Alameda, and that is Lil' Devils. I know this because they are one of the oldest gay bars in Denver, and their bartenders would come into the other bar I tended on their off nights, which is how I know about it. So, maybe my theory about drink spiking at Charlie's is not watertight. There still is then the chance that, with only slightly addled alcoholic intoxication, Adam took off for Lil' Devils in the hope for one more chance at the night. I think it's insane, actually, that no one has examined if Adam had ever frequented that bar, because it's the closest proper gay bar to his home.

There needs to be a lot more scrutiny of the bars he was at throughout the night, not just the alleged final one (Syntax, which is more of a progressive bar than a gay bar, for sure). It is highly suspect to me that the bar where alleged harassment occurred has, shockingly, only one video feed for the front of the bar. Because... no way. NO WAY in the f-----' big blue world can that be the case. Downtown gay bar owners are not that loving and trusting of humanity to not have their facilities monitored to the legal limits of privacy. No way there's not more tapes from Charlie's.

This really sucks and it isn't fair at all. Bless you, Adam. Come back home.

I do not know Adam. I have lived in Denver for 13 years, not too far from the neighborhood in which Adam disappeared. I have ridden my bike along the Platte River path on many occasions well north and south of the neighborhood in question. I also have travelled the neighborhoods around this area. When I plot a radius on at least one mile around his apartment, it is clear that most of the geography consists of residential and commercial properties. It seems odd that anyone who might have become lost or disoriented would not be discovered within a reasonable time in this area. However, the areas that might be of concern are along or in the Platte River or perhaps in some industrial areas (metal reclamation, waste disposal). The industrial areas would probably be secured against most people finding their ways into those properties. Clearly there is still the possibility of someone falling into, or along the shores of the river. However, there are many people (homeless, runners, bikers, dog walkers, walkers) who frequent the pathways along the river. And at this time of year, the river is not especially deep. Thus, it deepens the mystery as to how a young man, in very good physical shape, with apparently good swimming skills, accidentally becomes lost in this geographical area without someone eventually coming across him. This is a very inter-active metropolitan area. However, I do wonder the degree to which a search has been conducted along the Platte River.

Like all of you, I also have been transfixed by this case, and very frustrated by the lack of information being released. I have seen a number of comments on here expressing the same frustration about no updates from LE or from local news sources. I have taken to Twitter, asking LE and local news to please provide an update on the case. I think if enough people express interest in this story and ask for updates, we might get some action from the news outlets, and maybe even from LE. I would recommend tweeting to the following handles:
@DenverPolice
@DenverChannel
@CBSDenver
@9NEWS
@denverpost

I hope we will get some updated information soon. There are clearly many people who care about keeping this case in the public eye.

Welcome all new members, and thank you for your thoughts and information.

Does anyone know which PI has been hired?

Can we get a map of some abandoned buildings/industrial areas which might not have been searched yet?

There's also a possibility that he fell or was injured in a location that is obscured. There have been a few cases in the past years of people being discovered in walls or chimneys after years of being there.... Maybe he went up to see a view from a building.

Had he discovered or had access to any cool urban exploration locations in town?

This is a good thought! A girl/young woman who was found in a water tank on a roof, comes to mind. So sorry I can't recall her name.

This is a good thought! A girl/young woman who was found in a water tank on a roof, comes to mind. So sorry I can't recall her name.

Elisa Lam. Craziest case I've ever seen, I think. Just incredible, the video, the hotel, the tank...

I still haven't wrapped my head around that one, and probably never will. I still think there's something we're missing, jmo.

I like your train of thought...up...

The tunnels came to mind earlier, maybe it's the opposite...

I am anxious to go out and do some searching right now, but again, I'm waiting for us to hear from LE and Adam's family re: LE's collection and assessment of leads so far, and the direction they are pursuing. Again, don't want to overstep any bounds. I want to help.

Maybe my local connection to this case is clouding my normal approach and I just need to do my thing like I normally do in cases here. I'm finding myself holding back...

Options:

1. Suicide
2. Foul play / Homicide / Kidnapping
3. Accident
a. Cover up
b. No cover up.

A thought, surely this has been explored, and again, with all the people out in Denver, if he was visible he'd be found by now...

Check this link out below, what do you guys think...locals?

I wish we know what all has been searched so far.

Take a trip into Denver’s secret underground tunnel*system
http://kdvr.com/2016/05/02/take-a-trip-into-denvers-secret-underground-tunnel-system/

Secret City Underneath Downtown Denver
http://www.imfromdenver.com/secret-tunnels-under-denver-colorado/

The Story Behind Denver’s Underground Tunnels Are Truly Fascinating
http://www.onlyinyourstate.com/colorado/denver/denver-underground/

"In case you missed it, Denver is chock-full of surprising attractions that range from low-key (yet super delicious) diners to quirky shops all the way up to hidden and historic gems. What you may not realize, however, is that Denver is also home to a few LITERAL hidden gems, in the form of underground tunnels. Let’s take a look at a few of these secret structures and uncover the stories behind Denver’s underground tunnels:"

*Eta: obviously a lot of conspiracy theories, etc, associated with these tunnels...just an angle I thought we'd look at, the tunnels...

Bump:

"You can help!If you have any information you believe may be helpful, please contact the Denver Police, re: case number 17-837-972, at 720-913-2000

For any tips leading to Adam's whereabouts, please emailhelp@helpfindadam.com

If you are in the Denver area, please consider printing and posting our missing flyer:

http://helpfindadam.com/

Media CoverageCOLORADO

FOX31 Denver - 12/21

FOX31 Denver - 12/17

7NEWS Denver (ABC) - 12/18

7NEWS Denver (ABC) - 12/17

CBS Denver

The Denver Post

Out Front Magazine

MINNESOTA

KARE 11 (NBC)

Pioneer Press