CO - Dylan Redwine, 13, Vallecito, 19 Nov 2012 - #1

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Um, that isn't terribly unusual in that part of the country. And shorts are de rigueur for teen boys until it's in the teens and snowing, believe me. When he was in elementary school, I had to strike a deal with my son to make him wear pants if it was 15 or below. I was worried the teachers would think i was neglecting him. I soon learned it wasn't unusual, lol.

But ... this doesn't mean he didn't put on pants after his dad left on the errands, either. The high that day was 54, in Durango at least, which is quite warm when the sun is out here. The altitude ... it's where he was from. He had lived for years at 8000 ft, not a big deal at all.

(I'm not saying there aren't holes in the story, but these aren't holes.)

Amen. I too live at 7900' and it's not a biggie. Also, have we heard what type of rod? IF it was a fly rod, those break down into 4 pieces. You never walk around with the fly rod put together until you get to where you will fish. I measured my fly rod case and it's 38" long. All you need is the rod and some extra flies which you can just stick on your hat or on your vest, if wearing one. Some great fly fishing in and around Durango.

Hope they find Dylan today!! :please:

This father rarely saw the boy from what I can gather, but he had his own fishing pole? One designated "just for him"?

Somehow that doesn't sit right with me.
Unless this is the same house that Dylan lived in when his parents were together?
Anyone know if Dylan has been to this particular house/lived in this particular house before?

Please let us all be wrong. Please let Dylan be hiding out with a friend at a friend's family vacation home, garage attic or even sleeping on a family room sofa. Safe, warm, stomach full and sleeping peacefully.

Hello!

I also started wondering how familiar Dylan might be with that particular address and area and I am not sure if I am allowed to post a link to the website itself, but per La Plata County's Assessor website, Dylans father has owned that home since 2006. Then again, I am aware his parents divorced in 2007 and we do not know how often Dylan visited his dad, but he was there often enough to make friends with children in the area, so I'm thinking he had to be fairly familiar with the home and the area.

I want so much for Dylan to be home and safe! I just feel so certain that if he did run away, the person he would run to, *would be his mum and so I just can't shake the feeling something has happened! Trying to keep an open mind.......really, really, really, *really!

Hello!

I also started wondering how familiar Dylan might be with that particular address and area and I am not sure if I am allowed to post a link to the website itself, but per La Plata County's Assessor website, Dylans father has owned that home since 2006. Then again, I am aware his parents divorced in 2007 and we do not know how often Dylan visited his dad, but he was there often enough to make friends with children in the area, so I'm thinking he had to be fairly familiar with the home and the area.

I want so much for Dylan to be home and safe! I just feel so certain that if he did run away, the person he would run to, *would be his mum and so I just can't shake the feeling something has happened! Trying to keep an open mind.......really, really, really, *really!

From my understanding (could be wrong), Mom just moved to C Springs this past summer and was granted full custody then. This would have been the first holiday apart from his home turf of Bayfield.
From Bayfield to C Springs
[ame="http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Colorado+Springs,+CO&daddr=Bayfield,+CO+81122&hl=en&sll=37.225559,-107.598112&sspn=0.082696,0.167713&geocode=FdqOUAIdjY3A-Skr0uahLkEThzETa-j1kuuOQQ%3BFVcEOAId4C6W-SkLTRdd2yM8hzFGEpHG9MbdcQ&t=h&mra=ls&z=8"]Colorado Springs, CO to Bayfield, CO - Google Maps[/ame]

Shorts + down jackets = CO state uniform

Other people think we are strange, I think....

Haha, Exactly!
I can honestly say, growing up in Colorado, and most of my life in the Bayfield/Durango area until a few years ago, I've seen people in shorts EVERY month of the year. Heck, they'll wear the hiking sandals until the snow is above ankle deep.
It's been so unseasonably warm also, I don't see him wearing shorts as that odd myself. But maybe that's just me and knowing the area. And if you've lived in the altitude, it's not a biggie. I'm much lower altitude here in Denver but when I get the higher ones, I adjust to it right away.

Hello!

Having a hard time keeping optimistic. Sorry...but I am.
Praying, and not losing hope, but having a bit of a hard time feeling very optimistic.

I have a question about custody and visitation, for anyone who has personal or professional experience dealing with the system (I have none). I'm not going to read anything more into what we know other than what has been factually stated, that mom and dad shared custody since their 2007 divorce and on Sept 21st of this year she was awarded sole custody. Dylan's first visit to dad since this custody change was last weekend when he flew to visit dad on Sun 11/18.

In these cases in general, where one parent has sole custody (mom) and the other has limited court ordered visits (dad) are there guidelines and conditions the parents and court come together to agree to? Does this happen sometimes, always depending on the reasons for the parent's seperation and the split custody? I'm thinking about things like ... if a parent only gets their child one weekend each month and they work that weekend, therefore planning to put the child in daycare - would the courts disapprove of this and encourage the parent to be present with their child? Do they normally work out conditions, say - mom has concerns about the child being home alone and dad doesn't share that concern .. so they mediate that in court and agree that the child cannot be left home alone.

I'm just curious about all of this, as I fugure no matter how amicable the divorce may have been, any "good" divorce would be properly work out in court the best interest of the child (I hope). If anyone has insight, TIA.

in most cases even if there is shared custody doesn't that include one parent paying child support?

I have a question about custody and visitation, for anyone who has personal or professional experience dealing with the system (I have none). I'm not going to read anything more into what we know other than what has been factually stated, that mom and dad shared custody since their 2007 divorce and on Sept 21st of this year she was awarded sole custody. Dylan's first visit to dad since this custody change was last weekend when he flew to visit dad on Sun 11/18.

In these cases in general, where one parent has sole custody (mom) and the other has limited court ordered visits (dad) are there guidelines and conditions the parents and court come together to agree to? Does this happen sometimes, always depending on the reasons for the parent's seperation and the split custody? I'm thinking about things like ... if a parent only gets their child one weekend each month and they work that weekend, therefore planning to put the child in daycare - would the courts disapprove of this and encourage the parent to be present with their child? Do they normally work out conditions, say - mom has concerns about the child being home alone and dad doesn't share that concern .. so they mediate that in court and agree that the child cannot be left home alone.

I'm just curious about all of this, as I fugure no matter how amicable the divorce may have been, any "good" divorce would be properly work out in court the best interest of the child (I hope). If anyone has insight, TIA.

Just from reading the MSM and what's been reported, mom was granted full custody because she moved 6-7 hours away. Shared custody wouldn't work anymore because of logistics. The court order was issued out of the Durango court which was most likely home court for the divorce in the first place.

Shorts + down jackets = CO state uniform

Other people think we are strange, I think....

Granted it's not nearly that cold where I am in Northern CA, but I don't think it's strange. Happens around here all the time. Quick OT but kind of cracks me up when the guys in shorts ask the girls in dresses/skirts "aren't you cold?"

This is a loaded question for me. I've been through this. I would love to tell you that the courts always rule in the best interest of the child. But that's just not the case, i'm sorry to say. My personal experience was awful, and so I lived this first hand. In my case it was evil, what my ex did, just to get back at me for wanting a divorce. His attitude was/is, if I dont' get you/the kids, no one does. I'll spare you further detail. It doesn't belong here. I think all cases are different and I think most courts try to give both parents shared custody. But it's often not that simple.
Do I think decisions are always made in the best interest of the child. NO, I do not. Speaking only from my own experiences.

Just from reading the MSM and what's been reported, mom was granted full custody because she moved 6-7 hours away. Shared custody wouldn't work anymore because of logistics. The court order was issued out of the Durango court which was most likely home court for the divorce in the first place.

I agree the move likely explains the change in custody terms. Because Dylan is 13 years old would they put together a parenting plan or something like that in court or mediation to keep the transition as smooth as possible for him as he goes back and forth? And to ensure his safety? If communication is less than ideal between parents I know putting something in writing through the courts is helpful, often necessary. I'm just thinking out loud about what groundrules may have been put in place for Dylan at his fathers and what conflicts may have come from them... also how clear were the rules, if any, to Dylan or was he free to do whatever he wanted in dad's home.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/26/dylan-redwine-search_n_2192407.html

Besides the search of the lake, investigators are hoping to speak with two boys who were wearing black backpacks when they were seen by a postal worker on Nov. 19 at the Vallecito Lake Country Market, La Plata County Sheriff’s Office spokesman Dan Bender told NBC News.

The postal worker reportedly knows Dylan, and told police said one of the boys looked like him.

Amen. I too live at 7900' and it's not a biggie. Also, have we heard what type of rod? IF it was a fly rod, those break down into 4 pieces. You never walk around with the fly rod put together until you get to where you will fish. I measured my fly rod case and it's 38" long. All you need is the rod and some extra flies which you can just stick on your hat or on your vest, if wearing one. Some great fly fishing in and around Durango.

Hope they find Dylan today!! :please:

Hope they find him soon too!

Thanks for the info on the rod and flies. Please forgive me for what may be a couple of dumb questions, but I know very little about fishing. If you don't mind answering, would someone be able to put a folded fly-fishing rod into a backpack? Maybe the extra flies in a backpack pouch?

Also is fly-fishing common on lakes? I always picture rivers but that could be totally wrong or my Hollywood movie mental version of it. And of course usually rivers flow into lakes, so it could be a very similar location. Just thinking 'out loud.'

Thanks!

This is a loaded question for me. I've been through this. I would love to tell you that the courts always rule in the best interest of the child. But that's just not the case, i'm sorry to say. My personal experience was awful, and so I lived this first hand. In my case it was evil, what my ex did, just to get back at me for wanting a divorce. His attitude was/is, if I dont' get you/the kids, no one does. I'll spare you further detail. It doesn't belong here. I think all cases are different and I think most courts try to give both parents shared custody. But it's often not that simple.
Do I think decisions are always made in the best interest of the child. NO, I do not. Speaking only from my own experiences.

I'm so sorry you have first hand experience with this and it's been so awful. From the outside in I see a lot of what I think you're describing and there are some serious flaws in the system. Not best to discuss here but if you're ever open to talking about it, I would like to talk w/you about a related issue. It's something I've been reading about and consider participating in but I'd like to understand what goes on better before I do anything.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/26/dylan-redwine-search_n_2192407.html

Besides the search of the lake, investigators are hoping to speak with two boys who were wearing black backpacks when they were seen by a postal worker on Nov. 19 at the Vallecito Lake Country Market, La Plata County Sheriff’s Office spokesman Dan Bender told NBC News.

The postal worker reportedly knows Dylan, and told police said one of the boys looked like him.

The postal worker said the boy ' looked like' Dylan. But the worker had probably not seen the boy since he moved 7 months ago. And he did not make an absolute identification. So I am not sure that this is a valid sighting.

I wish these two boys would come forward and identify themselves so we can be sure.

According to the latest from the Huffington Post:

"The body of a Colorado boy who went missing from his home earlier this month may be located in a dam reservoir, cops said this week."

I wonder of they are basing this simply on the fishing pole, the dogs, or some other specific lead/information we have not been told about.

I really wonder about these media sources...especially that article a few pages back from the dailymail.uk suggesting the friend helped him run away and that also specifically stated that Dylan did not want to go home for Thanksgiving.

This is one of the disadvantages of LE keeping their cards close to their vest imo...misconstrued info and a whole bunch of speculation....again, it is important to preserve the integrity of the investigation. But the less info given to the public, the less opportunities for possible leads from the community.

As I said earlier, LE doesnt seem to be warning the community with any sense of urgency or danger that there is possibly a dangerous predator who is in the area, as they did in Jessica's case.

Let's remember the Arvada Candyman and who knows who else is still out there.

I'm getting frustrated and am going to decline from theorizing anymore until there is more info from LE (which is extra frustrating, bc as I said, if he was met w foul play we could be trying to track the down...)

Give us a darn press conference!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LostInMaine