CO- Dylan Redwine, 13, Vallecito, 19 November 2012 - #24

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Question:

We know that the police have stated that all the RSO have alibis.

Say that one of the alibis didn't check out. The police think perhaps that RSO did the crime, but there isn't enough to arrest the RSO yet.

Would they make a statement saying that an RSO was under suspicion? Or would they say that all the alibis checked out to make sure the RSO didn't high tail it out of town?

I know in the Mickey Shunick case they never did. They as well sent an undercover onto the rig he was on for the IIRC 2 weeks he was on it to keep an eye on him.

So, back to the fishing pole. Is there any possibility that perhaps the broken pole WAS the missing pole and they are hiding that for some reason? If I remember correctly in the Mickey Schunick (God rest her soul) case, the truck was ruled out or some such but ended up being the perps vehicle. I don't remember the details exactly. Anyway, I wonder if that is possible (the fishing pole being Dylan's) and what that would mean if so. If I'm not making sense forgive me, I learned the goodness of white merlot recently. :)

So, back to the fishing pole. Is there any possibility that perhaps the broken pole WAS the missing pole and they are hiding that for some reason? If I remember correctly in the Mickey Schunick (God rest her soul) case, the truck was ruled out or some such but ended up being the perps vehicle. I don't remember the details exactly. Anyway, I wonder if that is possible (the fishing pole being Dylan's) and what that would mean if so. If I'm not making sense forgive me, I learned the goodness of white merlot recently. :)

If it was his, I would expect them to spend more time searching the lake than they did, but anything's possible at this point. MOO

http://durangoherald.com/article/20121215/NEWS01/121219687/0/s/A-boy’s-life--

He began texting one of his closest friends, Ryan Nava, the Sunday he flew to Durango.

Starting about noon Sunday, the two carried on a constant stream of banter. The back and forth continued as the boys made plans to hang out as soon as possible.

Dylan wanted to see Ryan on Sunday night, but his dad wouldn’t let him and Ryan was heading back from Pagosa Springs that night.

So instead, Dylan promised to come to Ryan’s grandmother’s house in Bayfield at 6:30 a.m. Monday.

The early hour didn’t surprise him, Nava said. Dylan was known to randomly show up.

Ryan received his last text from Dylan just after 8 p.m.

Dylan was planning to come to Ryan’s grandmother’s house, and he asked if she would care if he came over. And then the conversation ends.

Expecting Dylan, Ryan set his alarm and woke up at 6:30 a.m. At 6:46, he sent a text to his friend, asking where he was.

But Dylan never responded.

Nava said he would have expected Dylan to text him Monday morning if he overslept or at least to say when he was headed down to Bayfield.

Throughout the day Monday, Ryan texted Dylan, his messages becoming more and more urgent.

Ryan’s last text to Dylan was at 7:59 Monday night. “Are you alright dude? Dude you need to call somebody anybody asap we all worried about you your mom called and she’s worried bro,” it said. “Seriously when you get the message call someone.”

ecowan@durangoherald.com

This is really helpful, thanks for posting it! I should have read the whole thread before my last reply but it moves so fast. It clears away the possibilities I brought up in my last posts if this kind of communication was not typical. Assuming Dylan disappeared on Monday morning, his phone would have to be dead/broken OR he would have to have disappeared before the time he was set to meet his friend. Waiting until 6:30 to avoid waking up his friend before that makes sense to me - so MR would leave, Dylan would wait until 6:30 to send a text letting his friend know he'd be late, but before he has a chance to do that something happens.

Everything sounds more and more suspicious to me but I don't want to start flat out accusing anyone before all ideas have been ruled out, it's not helpful to be pigeonholed.

Except if you turn it on 'airline mode.'

(And come to think of it, for all we know Dylan's phone was switched to airline mode. It could have been left on.)

Is it possible to text while on "airline mode"? My phone won't let me do that, it just blocks out all signal and wireless connections. Dylan texted after leaving the plane so he would have switched it off, and unless he accidentally hit a button then why would he have switched it back off?

How common was it for phones to have that feature in 2010 or earlier?

If it was his, I would expect them to spend more time searching the lake than they did, but anything's possible at this point. MOO

Yes you're probably right. It just popped in my head for whatever reason.

When looking at pictures of MR's property I noticed a for sale sign across the way. I don't know if a home or lot was for sale. It didn't show the property just the edge where the sign was.

I always wondered what kind of traffic that generated.

House for sale is down the side road.

Is it possible to text while on "airline mode"?

Snipped by ME

No it's not possible to text in airplane mode.
http://www.wisegeek.org/what-is-airplane-mode-on-a-cell-phone.htm#

Airplane mode is a setting on many cellphones which disables their wireless communication abilities, theoretically making them approved for use on aircraft. While in airplane mode, a phone cannot send or receive phone calls, text messages, picture messages, or video messages, and the user may not browse the Internet on the phone or use Bluetooth® devices with it. However, functions like music players, games, calendars, and so forth can continue to be used.

Snipped by ME

No it's not possible to text in airplane mode.
http://www.wisegeek.org/what-is-airplane-mode-on-a-cell-phone.htm#

Airplane mode is a setting on many cellphones which disables their wireless communication abilities, theoretically making them approved for use on aircraft. While in airplane mode, a phone cannot send or receive phone calls, text messages, picture messages, or video messages, and the user may not browse the Internet on the phone or use Bluetooth® devices with it. However, functions like music players, games, calendars, and so forth can continue to be used.

Do you know how likely it is that his phone has that feature? After 2010 all cell phones had to have GPS, and Dylan's doesn't, so it had to have been made before that. MOO

Is it possible to text while on "airline mode"? My phone won't let me do that, it just blocks out all signal and wireless connections. Dylan texted after leaving the plane so he would have switched it off, and unless he accidentally hit a button then why would he have switched it back off?

No, "airline mode" means the phone doesn't even try to talk to a cell tower, for anything. He would have had to turn it back on after he got off the plane.

If he followed instructions :angel: then he would have turned off the phone for takeoff entirely. Then turned it off for landing. He may have left it off for the entire flight but if he was playing games on the phone (some cheap phones do have simple games), then he could have easily killed his battery between the two flights he took that day and the difficulty of finding an empty charging station at most airports.

Do you know how likely it is that his phone has that feature? After 2010 all cell phones had to have GPS, and Dylan's doesn't, so it had to have been made before that. MOO

Older models (without GPS) did not have that capability. Only newer phones do. Same link above. Mooooooooooooooo

Older models (without GPS) did not have that capability. Only newer phones do. Same link above. Mooooooooooooooo

Do we know how old his phone is? They still make flip phones.

Only info I've been able to find is that a flip phone WITHOUT GPS has got to be really old ... over 4 years old. JMO .

I'm not sure but if memory serves by that point my phones had that mode already. I just Googled it and while "airplane mode"+2009 produced mostly iPhone and Blackberry results, I tried googling specic phones and got different results. The Nokia 5200, for instance, was released in '06 or '07 and by '09 would have been nothing that special so it was less than $200. It has flight mode. I think that in 2005-07 it was very hit or miss but it was a popular feature by 2010.

I also believe it has to do with how much you can do with your phone while it's off the networks, if you can listen to music and whatnot it was a more likely feature than for phones where the most you could do would be play basic games.

I hope this helps.

EDIT to avoid double-posting:

No, "airline mode" means the phone doesn't even try to talk to a cell tower, for anything. He would have had to turn it back on after he got off the plane.

If he followed instructions :angel: then he would have turned off the phone for takeoff entirely. Then turned it off for landing. He may have left it off for the entire flight but if he was playing games on the phone (some cheap phones do have simple games), then he could have easily killed his battery between the two flights he took that day and the difficulty of finding an empty charging station at most airports.

That's exactly what I was saying - if he had the phone on airplane mode (assuming he had not switched it off during landing) he would have to revert it back to normal in order to text his friend. The battery thing makes me wonder if he had it on airplane mode, played some games, decided to save battery but with texting his friend later the battery died.

I second the question of whether we know what Dylan's phone was... however, keep in mind that even though a phone is old it does not mean it's outdated for teenagers about 2 years later after its release when prices drop drastically. An phone from as far back as 2006 could have flight mode if it was a good phone. The odds increase as you approach 2011 (since then I'm pretty sure that most common phones have flight mode). A good phone from 2006 could drop prices c. '07 or at least '08. I hope this makes sense. However, most basic flip phones from that era did not have flight mode that I remember.

I'm also fairly certain that a really basic phone these days can have no GPS because most of mine didn't until I decided to buy a proper phone a couple of months ago. Unless there's some kind of GPS that is there for safety purposes but useless to users although I don't know. If Dylan's mom decided he was too young to have a complex phone she could have bought him a cheaper phone that would have games and colour but nothing complex like GPS. An old phone I bought as a quick fix when my previous phone broke is now at about $60 or maybe less and has no GPS or apps only texting, calling, playing games and maybe radio. That's it.

I thought I did, but I'm not so sure anymore. Since cell phones aren't really a great interest of mine, my memory of them might be a bit befuddled. I know the fcc changed some of the rules in 2010. I was thinking that it was that all new cell phones had to have GPS, but now I'm thinking it was just a change in how accurate they had to be in locating the phones. So I could very well be wrong about it being made in 2010 or earlier. I know it had to do with problems with 911.
MOO

My youngest has a flip phone. We chose it because it is sold as "indestructible" and he has little interest in his phone. He still has "airplane mode" available.

I noticed on the Find Missing Dylan Redwine facebook page that news reporter Jaclyn Rostie with KRDO left a message that the station hopes to interview the family on Sunday - not sure if she meant today or next Sunday.

Anyway, I looked up the station & Jaclyn Rostie's email address and sent her a message about our group on Websleuths & how we have hashed & rehashed all the available details on the case but that it seems that most reporters really aren't getting answers to some very important questions in this case. And, I listed a line of questions that I wish she could ask/get answers to for the public.

I'll let you all know if she responds.

hey there, katydid,
with all due respect, my boys did honour visitation order with their dad ( he lives in Ontario and I live in Nova Scotia)..
They would both rely on their phones to a certain extent, but not always. We were often in "cottage country" where there wasn't service. My youngest never and still doesn't) communicate by cell phone - although it is considered "mainstream"; not everyone feels the need to communicate this way.
My youngest was with his dad in Ontario cottage country and had forgot to charge his phone ...then there was no signal....if he had hitched a ride somewhere and not returned I am sure that many would have suspected foul play...
All I am saying is that I think too much emphasis is being placed on what people perceive that Dylan would have done (charged his phone, left a note etc.) rather than on what a 13 year old boy would do on impulse ...which IMO, is the most likely alternative...

I believe not enough people are putting emphasis on what his mother believes he would have done, and are then discounting the lack of his usual behaviour.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mamagoldman