CO- Dylan Redwine, 13, Vallecito, 19 November 2012 - #24

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
So then why was MR sitting at home texting Dylan if they had no service via texting .

I have read that texts got though but phone was iffy , or did I mistake this ?

I'm going to take the word of a fellow sleuther who was THERE and stood right in front of MR's house with HER cell phone that had ATT service and said that neither she nor her friend who had Verizon could make a call OR text. That's good enough for me. This sleuther doesn't have an agenda, and was there and has first hand knowledge. We are lucky to have that kind of information!

If Dylan had service before when his mother said he did, perhaps it was in Bayfield or Durango, not near MR's house. It's obvious to me that cell and text service in the immediate area of MR's house isn't good at all. FWIW.

Not all phones ping. Only phones with GPS ping.

UGH

Snipped by me.. the above is not true IMO. Can you link it up or are you verified as a cell tech? Every link I have found including snopes and a long thread about pings right here at WS says different than your post above.

Also you can go to court and fight to see your son but you are to bone idle to put sheets on his bed and make it comfortable for him ?!

I'm going to take the word of a fellow sleuther who was THERE and stood right in front of MR's house with HER cell phone that had ATT service and said that neither she nor her friend who had Verizon could make a call OR text. That's good enough for me. This sleuther doesn't have an agenda, and was there and has first hand knowledge. We are lucky to have that kind of information!

If Dylan had service before when his mother said he did, perhaps it was in Bayfield or Durango, not near MR's house. It's obvious to me that cell and text service in the immediate area of MR's house isn't good at all. FWIW.

I choose not to take anyones word about the cell reception there because I've seen one say there is no service there and I've seen others (more than 1)say that texts worked there.

I've said it before and I'll say it again sometimes it comes down to the type of phone being used.

Not long back I was only holidays with friends in an area where mobile (cell) reception is supposedly non existent, out of 5 people on a balcony 2 had reception one day, the next day 4 had reception.

it varies

So then why was MR sitting at home texting Dylan if they had no service via texting .

I have read that texts got though but phone was iffy , or did I mistake this ?

I would think because he knows his son and thought of the possibility that he might not be home waiting for him as he was told to and he text/called just in case he was out and where there was service. Then he headed back to the house.

http://cellphones.lovetoknow.com/How_to_Ping_a_Cell_Phone
"Ultimately, it is much more accurate to use GPS to locate a cell phone if such a service is available to you. Pinging can only reveal the tower used, whereas GPS can come with just a few feet of the phone's current location."

All phones ping, that is how they stay in touch with cell towers.

I would think because he knows his son and thought of the possibility that he might not be home waiting for him as he was told to and he text/called just in case he was out and where there was service. Then he headed back to the house.

No I am sure I have read that MR was texting him during the time he was at home during the afternoon . I don't think I read he texted him before be got home .

Also why say to Dylan I will pick you up at 11:30am and make a point of saying Dylan said ok and understood me if he was one to just randomally take off ??

MR said that when he got home at 11:30 and Dylan was not there, he texted him and waited for him to reply. HE WAITED UNTIL 4 PM for a reply.

Why would he wait for so long if there was no cell service.

And if I remember correctly, even Cory said there was texting at his Dad's house. I trust his experience more than someone who tried from outside one time.

Locals have said that people in the mountains buy 'hot spot' routers that increase the wifi. Maybe there was one of those inside the house.

http://cellphones.lovetoknow.com/How_to_Ping_a_Cell_Phone
Ultimately, it is much more accurate to use GPS to locate a cell phone if such a service is available to you. Pinging can only reveal the tower used, whereas GPS can come with just a few feet of the phone's current location.

If the signal hits multiple towers, you can triangulate. We've been doing that for years. The basics have been around since the early 1900s, cell phone triangulation isn't that much different.

[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GSM_localization"]Mobile phone tracking - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

MR said that when he got home at 11:30 and Dylan was not there, he texted him and waited for him to reply. HE WAITED UNTIL 4 PM for a reply.

Why would he wait for so long if there was no cell service.

He thought Dylan could have outside with his friends in an area without cell service. The message would then have been delivered as soon as Dylan got back in range of a cell tower. Since that never happened, MR went out to look for Dylan.

He thought Dylan could have outside with his friends in an area without cell service. The message would then have been delivered as soon as Dylan got back in range of a cell tower. Since that never happened, MR went out to look for Dylan.

he obviously thought he himself had cell service from his home then

If the signal hits multiple towers, you can triangulate. We've been doing that for years. The basics have been around since the early 1900s, cell phone triangulation isn't that much different.

Mobile phone tracking - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Yes I know but you can also, as my link above says, know the last tower the phone communicated with even if there is only one in range. This will give you a very broad area but its better than nothing.

Yes I know but you can also, as my link above says, know the last tower the phone communicated with even if there is only one in range. This will give you a very broad area but its better than nothing.

Depends on signal strength. Close to a cell tower means less of an area to search. Weak signal means wider radius = more area to cover.

Depends on signal strength. Close to a cell tower means less of an area to search. Weak signal means wider radius = more area to cover.
Correct. I'm also a techie :seeya:
By broad area I mean much broader than if the phone had active GPS.

FWIW I was responding to someone who said only phones with GPS ping. That is not true IMO.

:waitasec: he didn't. some posters assume there was no service from MRs house

So I don't get it. Why are people questioning whether MR had cell service or not at his house? I thought it was pretty clear that MR thought that Dylan was the one without service.

So I don't get it. Why are people questioning whether MR had cell service or not at his house? I thought it was pretty clear that MR thought that Dylan was the one without service.

because there have been numerous suggestions that Dylan had no cell service from his Dads house.

But then he must have had cell service at his home, because he was there waiting for a reply.Correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rayhartley90