Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
MSM Backpack Statements vs Dr. Phil

When he returned at 11:30 a.m., he said Dylan was gone, as was his backpack.
durangoherald.com/article/20121215/NEWS01/121219687/A-boy’s-life&template=mobileart

AND

When he got back at 11:30, his son's dirty cereal bowl was beside the sink. The television was on Nickelodeon. His son's fishing pole was gone. So was his black-and-gray backpack. A few articles of clothing were left behind on the couch."
http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_22108222/dad-its-wait-wonder#ixzz2Jf4xoyeQ

BUT on Dr. Phil he stated:

When I got home, the TV was on and it was on one of the Nickelodeon channels that he’s always watching. I didn’t notice his backpack not being there.

There was a fishing pole at the house and it was Dylan’s fishing pole. That fishing pole was never found.
Link = Dr. Phil Transcript in Media/Timeline Thread

I haven't seen any factual differences in what MR's said, and factual differences are what I look for. The only time I've seen differences are between what a reporter says and what MR says, rather than MR saying one thing once, then another thing another time. I have to admit I'm not keen on reporting in recent years.

I do keep looking for factual differences in what the key players in this case state directly themselves, because it's an important thing I look for in cases.

I wonder if he said the fishing pole was missing before or after the LE had him search the house.

Just to clarify, him looking through the house is what I posted I think LE had him do. LE searching the house that day they reported they had done.

That's why I don't think that the missing fishing pole has anything to do with Dylan's disappearance. I think that it's a coincidence that it was missing when Mark looked for it. MOO.

Why would he even be looking for it?
If it wasn't till after LE asked him to search for everything Dylan uses then I could see that but we don't know if he supposingly discovered the missing pole before the LE had him search or after.

It's probably not important as far as your purpose in posting this, but didn't they also take the road trip to see the Red Sox in August '12?

Can you help me out with a link or where you remember reading that? I'll go back and read the MB interview which is where I obtained most of the info. posted. I'm surprised I missed it if it was talked about there. I'll be glad to update it with any new info./edits. Thanks!

If it wasn't till after LE asked him to search for everything Dylan uses then I could see that but we don't know if he supposingly discovered the missing pole before the LE had him search or after.

When Mark finally decided that Dylan was missing I would hope that he looked around the house for any clues as to why he left. MOO.

Can you help me out with a link or where you remember reading that? I'll go back and read the MB interview which is where I obtained most of the info. posted. I'm surprised I missed it if it was talked about there. I'll be glad to update it with any new info./edits. Thanks!

I thought he had talked about it in the interview with MB, but maybe he didn't mention when it happened. I'll look for it.

Do we even know that Dylan ever even used the fishing pole?I wonder if LE questioned Ryan on whether Dylan ever use to go fishing.

I still think Mark put too much emphasis on the fact that there was a missing fishing pole.

When Mark finally decided that Dylan was missing I would hope that he looked around the house for any clues as to why he left. MOO.

You would think he would have looked out in the yard and the general area before he headed off to Dylans friends houses. I don't know if that was ever brought up or not. The river is across the street from MR's house, he mentioned the campground and rock wall. Did he look there first or was it ever even mentioned?

It's probably not important as far as your purpose in posting this, but didn't they also take the road trip to see the Red Sox in August '12?

OK Confusion, I reread MB interview and see that it does state MR says they went to see the Red Sox "this year" but it doesn't say when - just this year - which would be 2012 - so since MR said he last saw his son Labor Day - would that have occurred during the September visit or perhaps end of August/September? I think I remember now having a question mark by that and didn't add it since the September 2012 Labor Day visit may actually include the Red Sox trip. I wasn't sure of the specific date.

I'll check with AZG next time I see her in here and maybe she can help clarify just a specific month(s)/date(s).

Thanks again!

I thought he had talked about it in the interview with MB, but maybe he didn't mention when it happened. I'll look for it.

Found one!

Mark vividly remembers the last vacation he took with his son, a road trip to Boston in August. They visited Fenway Park and went to the Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown, N.Y. It was a dream vacation for a boy who loves baseball and is a devoted Red Sox fan.

http://www.durangoherald.com/article/20121215/NEWS01/121219687/A-boy%E2%80%99s-life--

You would think he would have looked out in the yard and the general area before he headed off to Dylans friends houses. I don't know if that was ever brought up or not. The river is across the street from MR's house, he mentioned the campground and rock wall. Did he look there first or was it ever even mentioned?

I don't recall if Mark addressed that at all in any of his interviews. I would imagine that he would look at the inside of the house and then the immediate outside area before getting into his vehicle and going to check more distant neighbors. MOO.

I think the biggest clue would have been that he KNEW Dylan wanted to see his friend Ryan.I would think the first thing Mark would do was talk to Ryan.
Then once he talked to Ryan and found out what was going on there really would have been no reason for him to look for the fishing pole.He might look for thingd that Dylan might take with him if he were going to runaway but not a fishing pole.Just my opinion.

His mom says Dylan doesn't even fish.

I think we need to firm up whether DR saw MR in August AND during Labor Day (two visits) or whether it all occurred at the same visit over Labor Day. Since it was summer time, the possibility does exist that there were two trips, but by August he was living in Colorado Springs and would have had to have made two trips if that were the case. I'm betting it was end of August/early September Labor Day road trip.

If you see AZG before I do, maybe you can ask her to find out for us and just let me know.

I think we need to firm up whether DR saw MR in August AND during Labor Day (two visits) or whether it all occurred at the same visit over Labor Day. Since it was summer time, the possibility does exist that there were two trips, but by August he was living in Colorado Springs and would have had to have made two trips if that were the case. I'm betting it was end of August/early September Labor Day road trip.

If you see AZG before I do, maybe you can ask her to find out for us and just let me know.

I would think it was 2 visits since he's said the September one was just a few days, and a roadtrip to Boston and back with the places they went would have to take longer than that. MOO

MSM Backpack Statements vs Dr. Phil

When he returned at 11:30 a.m., he said Dylan was gone, as was his backpack.
durangoherald.com/article/20121215/NEWS01/121219687/A-boy’s-life&template=mobileart

AND

When he got back at 11:30, his son's dirty cereal bowl was beside the sink. The television was on Nickelodeon. His son's fishing pole was gone. So was his black-and-gray backpack. A few articles of clothing were left behind on the couch."
http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_22108222/dad-its-wait-wonder#ixzz2Jf4xoyeQ

BUT on Dr. Phil he stated:

When I got home, the TV was on and it was on one of the Nickelodeon channels that he’s always watching. I didn’t notice his backpack not being there.

There was a fishing pole at the house and it was Dylan’s fishing pole. That fishing pole was never found.
Link = Dr. Phil Transcript in Media/Timeline Thread

IMO these aren't screaming discrepancies as he could have been just summarising all the details that were revealed the more he looked about. I do think it's worth noting that the first 2 quotes are MR's paraphrased words, not direct quotes.
:moo:

I think the biggest clue would have been that he KNEW Dylan wanted to see his friend Ryan.I would think the first thing Mark would do was talk to Ryan.
Then once he talked to Ryan and found out what was going on there really would have been no reason for him to look for the fishing pole.He might look for thingd that Dylan might take with him if he were going to runaway but not a fishing pole.Just my opinion.

His mom says Dylan doesn't even fish.

I thought that one of the first things that Mark did was to try and find Dylan's friends and see if he was with them.

I also thought that I heard Elaine say that Dylan didn't even like to fish. That made me wonder why Dylan even had a fishing pole. Somethings wrong here. MOO.

I've thought all along that when MR got home and Dylan wasn't there, he probably didn't think anything was amiss at that point. He gave examples of places he assumed Dylan could have been. If it was me I'd probably think the same way - for an hour or two maybe (and I am a worrier - but I would make myself sit tight rather than race off in a panic)
I can see that MR could have then gone looking for the fishing rod or anything else (like the bike maybe?) to get an idea of where Dylan could have been.

I also think that when he said initially that it was "likely" that Dylan had his fishing pole, that meant he didn't know for sure. For that reason I have never understood why that has been flagged as a major inconsistency in his recall of events.

Incidentally, I have always had in the back of my mind that MR and Dylan may not have had the coziest of evenings together that night. I've always suspected there could have been some tension or disappointment on both sides over the issue of Dylan going to friends that night. I've even suspected that MR could well have confiscated the phone for the evening.

In this scenario I still don't see MR as having necessarily harmed Dylan - but rather that he may have not wanted to admit to taking the phone. Especially given that something else much more sinister could well have unfolded afterwards if Dylan was pushed to take off on his own or take uncharacteristic risks out of anger with his dad - and in the absence of what could have been his lifeline - his phone.

Mark vividly remembers the last vacation he took with his son, a road trip to Boston in August. They visited Fenway Park and went to the Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown, N.Y. It was a dream vacation for a boy who loves baseball and is a devoted Red Sox fan.

That Durango Herald article "A Boy's Life" really had a wealth of information in it IMO.

I thought that one of the first things that Mark did was to try and find Dylan's friends and see if he was with them.

I also thought that I heard Elaine say that Dylan didn't even like to fish. That made me wonder why Dylan even had a fishing pole. Somethings wrong here. MOO.

I don't remember Elaine saying that Dylan didn't fish or that he didn't like to fish, just that he couldn't thread his own line. He wouldn't have needed someone to thread his line unless he did go fishing. I have no idea whether he liked it or not, but I don't imagine he'd do it if he didn't like it somewhat.

ETA - here's the quote -

Dylan is not a big fisherperson. He didn’t even know how to thread his own line.

I just wanted to add that when I read that article, including all the texts, I was actually relieved because I felt it gave more information about both Dylan's parents and the things Dylan did with both of them, and I kind of felt it showed that MR probably wasn't the guilty party here. I can't describe how shocked I was later when I saw how differently others had interpreted every single part of the article. I recall that some were even doubting and making snide references to the supposed "trip of a lifetime" - as if it couldn't possibly be true.
We really are all capable of reading and interpreting information in very, very different ways.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member