CO - Gannon Stauch, 11, found deceased, Colorado Springs, El Paso County, 27 Jan 2020 *Arrest* #54

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know everyone is hating on her attorney (and these opening statements are questionable at best) but what the heck else are you supposed to do when LETECIA STAUCH is your client.

Also he is a PD, not like he really had a choice in the matter.

"Cook: Since she was 3 or 4 trauma and abuse in the hands of mother’s boyfriends. 'First is was just physical, beatings, whoopings, emotional abuse, physical abuse and then it became sexual. When she was molested regularly from 5 or 6 on to when she was a teenager.'"

. . . and I wonder where he got his information? Hmmmm?

Excuse me, but if she was killing the demons from her childhood, how did Gannon end up beaten, stabbed, shot, stuffed in a suitcase, and then tossed into a ditch?

Lousy attorney. Lousy argument. Lousy murderer.

Defense is winding down. All I really got out of it was a firm statement this stepmother killed Gannon. Just the day before he was smiling in a photo, and then she killed him. Who really thinks she was killing her demons... stupid defense.... MOO

I know everyone is hating on her attorney (and these opening statements are questionable at best) but what the heck else are you supposed to do when LETECIA STAUCH is your client.

Also he is a PD, not like he really had a choice in the matter.

Ouch.

Good point.

Still, we want to hate on him a little more before we cut him some slack...

Now it's time for defense. Mr. Cook is going to be speaking.

'This is very tough case” Defense Atty. Cook said. Says there was a lot of strong opinions in the jury questionnaires forming an opinion about Letecia. Heard “she was evil” etc.

COOK: “I as the defense attorney have two big problems in the case. I represent Ms. Stauch who according to a lot of jury questionaries is “evil and guilty” and “us raising question of sanity is a bunch of BS”

COOK: “I have been working on this case for three years now. I’ve seen the pictures in this case…it’s a lot. What you have seen on the board this afternoon that’s the PG stuff you are going to see.”

“I get it, what happened to this little boy in 2020 is beyond description and the facts of the case…it’s awful. You know what it’s so bad, this is a lost cause, i’m not going to do this anymore…I can’t (he says while starting to walk out and now he’s walking back).

Cook: “Ladies and Gentleman, I can’t quit, I can’t leave this court room. I have to do my job in this case. After the photos we’ve seen, the pictures of Gannon.....I can't check out now and just sit down and ride this out.”

Cook: "I know people will say who gives a s*** about what’s fair for Ms. Stauch. The court systems do, the law does, the constitution, the bill of rights.”

Cook: “I get it, we’ve lost. Mr. Tolini we lost, Ms. Stauch we lost. We have lost in the court of public opinion and media. She’s guilty. I get that. But this court of law….”

Cook: "This isn't the media, this isn't Facebook. Wash all of that away. Don’t try to walk out of the court room before we start it."

COOK: "Do your jobs. Listen to the evidence. When the evidence is complete go back into the jury room and weigh the evidence. That’s all i’m asking of you, just give us a fair shake.”

Cook: "If you are partial and you still find her guilty, I’ll take that…so don’t quit on me”

Cook: "This is going to come down to insanity. Was this lady here insane when Gannon was killed. (she's not looking at the jury and is looking forward/down)

Cook is telling jury that can consider her sanity in the evidence, recorded statements, the phone call you heard Ms. Stauch talking in. "That’s good stuff." He is also talking about motive.

Cook: "Even though jury instruction is talking about sanity. Motive or lack of motive can be a sign of sanity or lack of sanity. It's not required but it matters because it's evidence and if you don't have a motive that shows a lack of evidence.”

Defense put up picture, selfie of Letecia with Gannon. Gannon smiling when he was still alive.

Cook: "When you look at that it looks like everyone's doing pretty good, happy sunny day."

Cook says this picture is from the day before Gannon was killed. It's her with Gannon and Gannon's little sister. "That wasn't a photo of evil. That was a photo of someone who by all accounts was a loving stepmother.”

Cook: “You have a person who was living what would have seemed like the American dream... behind those photos, Ms. Stauch was hiding, I don’t even know if she knew she was hiding it. Stauch was dealing with trauma and abuse that had been going on since she was a toddler.”

Cook: Since she was 3 or 4 trauma and abuse in the hands of mother’s boyfriends. "First is was just physical, beatings, whoopings, emotional abuse, physical abuse and then it became sexual. When she was molested regularly from 5 or 6 on to when she was a teenager.”

Cook: "It was constant." says she used to have to sleep in her car to avoid the sexual abuse. Says she had an "absentee" mom who was gone all of the time and Letecia was then left in the care of these men, mom's boyfriends who abused her.

Looks like Letecia may be rubbing her eyes as Cook describes the physical and sexual abuse. Just saw her put tissue to her face.

Cook says her sexual and physical abuse from who were her "caretakers" as a child and teen (moms' boyfriends) prompted her to have a fragmented personality.

Cook says we are going to be in here for 8 weeks for this trial.

"You know what you probably won't hear doing all of that time, all of that evidence all of those witnesses...you are not going to hear about a motive. You are not going to be given a motive to why Ms. Stauch did what she did in January of 2020. Reason is, there is no motive."

COOK: “There is no reason, it doesn’t make sense. It’s insane. Smiling photo, the next day Gannon’s gone. There’s no reason for it.

“She broke on that day ladies and gentleman, she broke from all that was right and made sense.”

Cook: “The person she was killing that day, that wasn’t Gannon to her. She didn’t wake up that day and say i’m going to kill my stepson Gannon Stauch today. No she was killing the demons in her life in the dark depths of her childhood, in her life.”

Cook: "Some people have severe mental health issues but they don’t go out and kill people. They don’t go out and kill 11-year-old boys, they’re stepsons that they had nice hikes with the day before."

Cook: "They don’t stab the stepson dozens of times, they don’t shoot him….beat him, burn him…it’s wrong and it’s horrible and she was not sane. And she will be held accountable."

Cook says if she’s found not guilty by reason of insanity it doesn’t mean she walks out of here. She will go to the state mental hospital.

Cook: "Prejudging the case on what you heard in the media, it’s going to do no good. We know we have a tragedy here... but just listen to the evidence. Don't check out.”

Cook: "From the next 6-8 weeks when we are in this trial, you can't form an opinion. You are in an evidence gathering phase. You are gathering the facts...when you go back to the jury room after all the evidence is in. That's when you start putting the ingredients together.”

Defense is wrapping up now. Telling jury they will be here for 2 months. "You are the ones that make the sacrifice in this case"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member