CO - Gannon Stauch, 11, found deceased, Colorado Springs, El Paso County, 27 Jan 2020 *Arrest* #57

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think he has a prodigious memory. When he's pausing and calling on it, he looks up and across like he's reading the information from the air. It's really interesting to watch. I have a poor memory for various reasons, but my late grandmother never forgot anything. Ever. And my nephew is the same. As him a maths question, then ask him to remember it months later, without warning, and he can. He's eight.

MOO

I can recall in detail, almost word for word, conversations from 30 years ago, but please don't ask me why I turned on the laptop or went into the kitchen :D

From the ME testimony, it seems the 18 stab wounds happened first on the 27th, considering the multiple defensive wounds on his hands and arms.
That could very well be true. I was just opened to the fact that a shot to the jaw would not kill someone (know someone that's happened to) and he might still have had the adrenaline to fight back.

Sometimes I think her original plan was to push him off a cliff when they went hiking. Not sure of the terrain of where they went, and couldn't find info about the location. I imagined that photo of the three of them was taken to show what an incredible, self-less step mother she is, before she pushes him to his death. Either she didn't think the height would kill him, or couldn't get the younger child preoccupied elsewhere to do it. In complete frustration, the next day she tries to burn him and start a fire that would kill him, but that doesn't work, and now she has an injured child and she goes into "look what you did" mode. That night she drugged him to keep him quiet while she beat him over the head with something. Then I think she stayed up, watching him like a hawk, hoping he'd stop breathing. She leaves the next day, hoping to finish him off in a remote location and leave him. Perhaps he's slumped over and moaning at this point and she's spending time at Petco and waiting for him to die. But he doesn't and she's nervous about being out in the open, so she returns home and shoots him. Still, he's alive and so she grabs something sharp and stabs him 18 times in a hurried frenzy.

This was certainly premeditated, but I really think she was trying to concoct an accident (fall or fire) where she could be deemed a woman in complete distress and a victim, and Al would come running home to embrace her and it would bring her family closer together and she'd be free of the preteen boy. When the fire didn't work and he was severely injured, she must have been PISSED. Because she knew in that moment there would be disposal and clean up and all sorts of stuff "she'd" have to endure.
Interesting

Garden of the Gods, owned by the City of Colorado Springs has many areas that a steep drop off or fall/push could cause a serious accident or death but you’d have to climb up very high. It’s busy on nice weekends, very touristy and not an area I would think planning an “accident” made sense unless you need witnesses

That could very well be true. I was just opened to the fact that a shot to the jaw would not kill someone (know someone that's happened to) and he might still have had the adrenaline to fight back.

I believe the bullet entered through the jaw and travelled upwards, the bullet was lodged inside the skull at autopsy, in this case. (I can't recall exactly where in the head, so I just used skull as a general area)

The ME testified that the bullet severed Gannons spinal cord, so no he would not have been able to use his hands to fight back even if he survived the shooting initially.

I believe the bullet entered through the jaw and travelled upwards, the bullet was lodged inside the skull at autopsy, in this case. (I can't recall exactly where in the head, so I just used skull as a general area)
ME said bullet did not enter the cranial cavity and was recovered in muscle in his neck.

I am back in court again for the seventh day of Letecia Stauch's trial, lead investigator and former EPCSO detective Jessica Bethel is the day's first witness, which Allen said yesterday should take up most of the morning. I'll be tweeting updates here as the day progresses.

Assigned Lead Detective on Gannon's case.

Ten or more agencies involved in Gannon's case. State and federal, and both inside and outside Colorado.

Because of volume of information and size of case, assumed more of an investigative role than usual.

Lack of a 'traditional homicide scene with a body' complicated things. Misleading multiple stories from the suspect complicated the investigation.

Original focus and searches pivoted on his reported as a runaway, increased in intensity due to age, weather, medical conditions.

Making contact with LS by phone, LS was 'hesitant' 'apprehensive'. Refused access to the home because of 'several young children in the home' so they met at Starbucks. AS, LS, several LE present inside Starbucks. Recording made. I assume they're going to play it. Mention made of 'usual starbucks noise', so I assume it's going to be difficult to hear. Sorry, folks, I'll do my best.

Day 7 of the murder trial for #LeteciaStauch is resuming now. I'll be in the courtroom with updates throughout the day.

The first witness to be called to the stand this morning is Jessica Bethel. In January 2020, she was assigned to Gannon Stauch’s case as the lead detective from the El Paso County Sheriff’s Office.

Bethel testified saying, “Initially this case was receiving a lot of attention on social media. The case quickly grew to a multi-agency case.” She said at least 10 agencies, both local and federal, got involved.

Bethel said, “The suspect providing alternate leads, multiple stories of what happened, ultimately influenced how we proceeded with the case.”

I can recall in detail, almost word for word, conversations from 30 years ago, but please don't ask me why I turned on the laptop or went into the kitchen :D
My husband is a retired computer analyst. He had a 30-minute drive to work and spent that time doing quadratic equations. I, on the other hand can't do math, or remember much of anything pertaining to numbers but can remember events and conversations.

Interesting

Garden of the Gods, owned by the City of Colorado Springs has many areas that a steep drop off or fall/push could cause a serious accident or death but you’d have to climb up very high. It’s busy on nice weekends, very touristy and not an area I would think planning an “accident” made sense unless you need witnesses

Thanks for the info -- I remember that the accident scenario had been discussed earlier here, as it had in the Vallow case.

I don't think there's any way that LS could have carried off an "accidental" fall any better really.

She, like so many others, fell prey to what we might call the "Frazee Fallacy," in which the killer cannot believe that their own indifference to the death or disappearance of their victim isn't the standard response and are therefore taken completely aback when others want to know what happened.

I can imagine (with shivers) a cleverer and more capable version of LS that might have pulled off the perfect murder -- and still lied and overperformed her way into a life sentence for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper