CO - Gannon Stauch, 11, found deceased, Colorado Springs, El Paso County, 27 Jan 2020 *Arrest* #57

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

First piece of evidence for the day is a recording of the Stauch's interview with law enforcement on Jan. 28, 2020, at a local Starbucks. Bethel testified that she wanted to conduct the interview at the Stauch's home, but that Letecia Stauch seemed "hesitant " to do that

Did Gannon not have his own room?
Yes he did. Someone had commented that a child's bedroom should be their one safe space, and I commented that while that's true, many, many children do not even have their own room - Gannon did. The family had decided to rent a place where each child could have their own space.

But nothing could remove the incredible risk factor that looked like a human, but was a monster.

It was just a side discussion. It breaks my heart that all Gannon really wanted from his little life was school, friends and playing games on his Switch, in his room.

https://twitter.com/AshleyPorteeyo

Day 7 of the murder trial for #LeteciaStauch is resuming now. I'll be in the courtroom with updates throughout the day.

The first witness to be called to the stand this morning is Jessica Bethel. In January 2020, she was assigned to Gannon Stauch’s case as the lead detective from the El Paso County Sheriff’s Office.

Bethel testified saying, “Initially this case was receiving a lot of attention on social media. The case quickly grew to a multi-agency case.” She said at least 10 agencies, both local and federal, got involved.

Bethel said, “The suspect providing alternate leads, multiple stories of what happened, ultimately influenced how we proceeded with the case.”

Bethel said she contacted Letecia early on in the investigation to speak to her about Gannon’s disappearance, preferably at the Stauch’s home so detectives could look for clues or anything missing.

She said Letecia did not agree to allow her to go to the home because Letecia said there were young children in the home, and she didn’t want them to overhear what they were talking about.

Letecia offered to meet at a Starbucks in Fountain. Bethel said at first, Letecia was hesitant to talk to detectives, and “was apprehensive at best.”

We’re now listening to the first interview Letecia had with detectives, which was on January 29, two days after Gannon's disappearance. Her then husband, and Gannon’s father, Al, was also part of the interview.

Better than the 911 calls so far.

LS and AS identifying themselves, spelling names, giving work information and address.

Saying kid on the video wasn't Gannon (convenience store).

AS knows all Gannon's friends, where they live, their phone numbers. I won't mention details about them here because they
are minors and not involved in the case.

Mentioning last at school on Friday, when he got home from school.

Talking about the hike. Gannon's stomach hurt. They talked via text about Gannon staying home from school.

LS saying they went to petco, he stayed in the car, drank pedialite, came back, Gannon supposedly texting AS told AS he lit a candle to cover odours from BM. Text came through, asking about 'bath salts'. AS was alarmed. Story about friend asking for bath salts, big brother with a car... LS claims she didn't know what bath salts were, gave Gannon a bath bomb to use when bathing.

Talking though all the friends AS checked with.

ME said bullet did not enter the cranial cavity and was recovered in muscle in his neck.

The ME said it severed his spinal cord :( He wasn't fighting back after that.

Thankyou both. I should have gone back and checked that.
Poor baby just didn't stand a chance against her did he?. I'm so in awe of the fight he put up.

Three minutes in and here we go with story time already. I don't know if it's the audio or if it's just my brain tuning her out but I can hear AS just fine but I can't really make out what she says. @iamshadow21 good time for improv....blah blah blah...Petco.... blah blah blah. :)

Letecia described about what they did on Sunday, January 26, one day before Gannon’s disappearance. She said they went hiking at Garden of the Gods, and Gannon said his stomach was hurting so he stayed home from school on Monday. Letecia took off work to stay with him.

Thanks for the info -- I remember that the accident scenario had been discussed earlier here, as it had in the Vallow case.

I don't think there's any way that LS could have carried off an "accidental" fall any better really.

She, like so many others, fell prey to what we might call the "Frazee Fallacy," in which the killer cannot believe that their own indifference to the death or disappearance of their victim isn't the standard response and are therefore taken completely aback when others want to know what happened.

I can imagine (with shivers) a cleverer and more capable version of LS that might have pulled off the perfect murder -- and still lied and overperformed her way into a life sentence for it.
Well exactly!
as PF stated

I know when my nephew was young he took Ritalin (not sure if that's a different name in US?) He was very subdued for the duration of the meds effectiveness, and there was a marked difference when it wore off, he was much more like himself.
Fwiw I didnt find anything odd in her zombie statement, many people i know refer to their adhd meds as making them feel like a zombie, so I dont believe they were over medicating Gannon, the opposite in fact, so they medicated him in the week maybe to help with being able to attend school, and then didn't give it to him at the weekends to give him a break amd let him be more himself, if that makes sense?.

I'm watching on RA and listening on webex. RA does play filler if court is in recess and is about 2 minutes behind on his feed. It is fine and on right now.
I like him because he keeps her zoomed in in the corner of the page amd we can see her reactions, or lack thereof, up close.

It's my understanding from talking to UCLA psychiatrists about this, that the effect is not supposed to be so pronounced. I have lots of students on ADHD medicine, none are zombies. I think every psychiatrist I've ever discussed this with has said that's a sign of over-medication. I'll do a little literature review on this and I happen to be having a meet-up with a practicing bio-psychiatrist next week, so I'll ask him too.

It does make sense to have a weekend break (and lots of doctors agree), but the child should not be stupefied or zombie-like while on the meds. Needs a lighter med or dose, IMO.

IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members