CO - Jessica Ridgeway, 10, Westminster, 5 Oct 2012 - #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sometimes I don't understand cop speak. Why would the distance between her home and where the backpack was found not be of concern?

It is a common ploy for criminals to try to spread out their activities across jurisdictional lines, hoping that LE in one jurisdiction won't make the connection to something LE in another jurisdiction knows.

He's saying that no matter how far this perp goes, LE is working together to apprehend him.

BBM

Good questions!

By the way, it's been posted upthread that school starts at 8:50, and Jessica left her house at 8:30 according to her mom. I don't recall when Jessica and her friends would normally meet up to walk to school.

Probably the bell rings at 8:50 then. Usually kids that age wait outside until the first bell rings. At least that's how it used to be. The doors may be unlocked at 8:30 a.m. though.

So the other kid/s would be meeting her at what time? 8:40 a.m.?
I don't expect anyone to know the exact answer but I bet the police are asking that kid or kids what time they were supposed to meet J, what time they got there, how long they waited for her, and if she or they usually ran late.

Thanks for getting the pic of the brown bag. It seems odd to me that it was still right there on the sidewalk, and at least to me, it looked kind of big to be a lunch sack. Why would LE have just left it right there on the center of the sidewalk? They'd been there for quite some time by that point, if it was an evidence bag, you'd think they would have put it in a squad car or something.

Jessica only had to walk south on her street past two or three houses to get to the park where she met the other kids. The walk from the park to the school was about three blocks in distance, the last half of that was a trail crossing the open space (also known as a greenbelt).

Yikes that means she was taken right outside her own home then. :waitasec:
If the other kid/s were already there surely they'd see something or hear her scream or something. No?

If they weren't there yet, then they wouldn't. I'd want to know who was usually there first. Because if J was the early type, she could have been standing in that spot and approached and taken from there. Did the other kid or kids run a little late on Friday? Or did someone she knows offer her a ride if she was running late?

I would love for the father to be the culprit in some way, personally, wishing he sent someone to hide Jessica away somewhere.

That would probably be the best of a bunch of bad outcomes but it wouldn't be a good outcome.

So long ago that I can't remember the woman's name (sorry) I read a book by a woman who was abducted by her father in a custody dispute with her mother when she was fairly young, 6 or 7 years old. He kept her for 3 or 4 years before they were caught (this was way before the internet... I'm thinking 50s but am not sure).

He wasn't exactly abusive but being suddenly ripped away from her mother and siblings, having her name changed, being on the move so they never settled down and she couldn't go to school, etc, was really confusing and upsetting to her. Particularly since he kept telling her that her mother was forcing them to do this.

When she was finally found, she was 11 or 12 years old, had almost forgotten her birth name and had almost forgotten her other siblings. In any case, they had grown significantly, so were no longer like her few memories of them. The ordeal had changed her mother, too; she was stressed and had a shorter fuse than she did before the abduction (stress will for sure do that to you).

It left the woman feeling like she had no ties anywhere. She was way behind scholastically and back then, the only remedy offered was to put her in classes with kids 4 years younger than she was. Without much help from the school, she managed to make up 2 years of missed school in one year. But that just meant she was promoted into another grade of kids that she didn't know.

As an adult, she had major, massive problems forming attachments to anyone. She found it really hard to get over the feeling that there was no point in making friends let alone romantic attachments because they would all go away in a year or so anyway.

I get that if Jessica were involved in some sort of contracted custody grab that at least she'd be alive and probably not abused horribly. But I think it's one of those "least evil" outcomes.

I feel like she might have been tempted by a teenage boy, if one offered her a ride.

That would probably be the best of a bunch of bad outcomes but it wouldn't be a good outcome.

So long ago that I can't remember the woman's name (sorry) I read a book by a woman who was abducted by her father in a custody dispute with her mother when she was fairly young, 6 or 7 years old. He kept her for 3 or 4 years before they were caught (this was way before the internet... I'm thinking 50s but am not sure).

He wasn't exactly abusive but being suddenly ripped away from her mother and siblings, having her name changed, being on the move so they never settled down and she couldn't go to school, etc, was really confusing and upsetting to her. Particularly since he kept telling her that her mother was forcing them to do this.

When she was finally found, she was 11 or 12 years old, had almost forgotten her birth name and had almost forgotten her other siblings. In any case, they had grown significantly, so were no longer like her few memories of them. The ordeal had changed her mother, too; she was stressed and had a shorter fuse than she did before the abduction (stress will for sure do that to you).

It left the woman feeling like she had no ties anywhere. She was way behind scholastically and back then, the only remedy offered was to put her in classes with kids 4 years younger than she was. Without much help from the school, she managed to make up 2 years of missed school in one year. But that just meant she was promoted into another grade of kids that she didn't know.

As an adult, she had major, massive problems forming attachments to anyone. She found it really hard to get over the feeling that there was no point in making friends let alone romantic attachments because they would all go away in a year or so anyway.

I get that if Jessica were involved in some sort of contracted custody grab that at least she'd be alive and probably not abused horribly. But I think it's one of those "least evil" outcomes.

I doubt she is alive, otherwise. At least not if this is an abduction for the usual reasons.

Thanks for getting the pic of the brown bag. It seems odd to me that it was still right there on the sidewalk, and at least to me, it looked kind of big to be a lunch sack. Why would LE have just left it right there on the center of the sidewalk? They'd been there for quite some time by that point, if it was an evidence bag, you'd think they would have put it in a squad car or something.

Looking again, it's about the size that a six pack of beer fits in. Wouldn't LE take it to the lab before they open it?

Does anyone have a link to the statement about the tracking dogs tracking her scent to the school?

It does seem a little bit large for a lunch sack.At first,before pics were shown of the sack,I thought the items may have been tossed from a moving car,but the sack is sitting upright as though placed there.
It could have landed that way due to being heavier at the bottom.
I wonder if the person might have wanted the bookbag and sack found due to feeling remorse after the fact,and Jessica is nearby,or it could be an attempt to cause confusion.
Maybe he thought whoever found it would discard it.
I wonder if there is any new info. on the abduction attempts mentioned earlier in the thread.
Pretty good likeness/drawing earlier by witnesses of earlier attempts.

Heck, we don't even have a TV. When TV went digital, we hadn't watched in so long that getting the converter just didn't make sense.

The only time we listen to the local radio station is when there is severe weather. We want to know when we should go out in the front yard with our cans of soda and videotape ourselves hollerin "hey, Clem, WATCH THIS!!!" <LOL>

BBM/ That would so be me! We don't have TV either. I'm so used to being without TV, the thought of how many hours it takes makes me not want to go back. I think of it as the dumb box now. Most of my news I catch here or online now. I think TV news for me has gone by the wayside it did with news papers. Though we do have the wii hooked up with internet access.

I think lots of people don't watch the news anymore because they think it's too depressing.

It's not unusual for someone to not know the name of a missing child. There are many many missing. We unfortunately don't know the names of all....

Why is there a mention of a big green belt found QUOTE]

respectfully snipped

:floorlaugh::floorlaugh:

I had to look up on line what a "greenbelt" was because I was thinking an army belt also....

:waitasec::waitasec:

LOL

Nurse has the greenbelt marked on her map....located in the first post of the thread.

9NEWS Denver&#8207;@9NEWS

#JessicaRidgeway RT @kevinltorres: CSP says all outside agencies are being pulled from. Westminster will stay on scene. Police tape still up

another tweet says crime scene tape is down and most officers are gone.

I think the perp and LE are playing games with each other...

This! Can anyone remember a case where clues were left in plain sight? I doubt there was there a ransom note in the backpack... I'm getting BTK vibes, almost bragging about the crime. MOO

BBM

Cary Staynor, Gary Ridgway, whoever grabbed Sierra LaMar and those are just three that I had in the top of my memory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
relaxininaz