CO - Jessica Ridgeway, 10, Westminster, 5 Oct 2012 - #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Scary actually. I don't know how schools couldn't differentiate between walkers and bussers. They have to know what bus a student is supposed to be on.... I was a walker as a kid back when the majority were two parent families so one parent was always available.

I had to have two emergency contacts for my son. I was rear ended at a light on the way for pick up last year and the car was drivable, thank god... but I was 20 min late for pu. When they couldn't reach me they contacted one of my emergency contacts. Though that is usually when the child is at school already. This is really a different situation here. A child is a walker and the school I assume knows the parent is a night worker and day sleeper.

The park thing scares me, because someone could have followed her routine, but if it is only 450' away, why wouldn't mom watch until she met up with her group of walkers?

I'm sure in hindsight extra precautions could always be taken but I just don't feel it's fair to to question why she wasn't being watched on a 450 ft walk at this point.

This is just an unfortunate mix-up. The mother is raising the child on her own and trying to work the night shift. She got Jessica off to school and went to bed....then missed the school's call. No one did anything intentional or wrong....
I know everyone questions if more could have been done. But probably not.
Let's just keep praying for Jessica and her mom.

I don't necessarily think mom sleeping through the phone call meant she did anything wrong. I'm simply trying to understand what the school policies are for walkers, or absent children.

I would like to know what the school policy is for using emergency contacts if a walker fails to show up for school and a parent can not be contacted. I don't think that question implies the mother did anything wrong. It shouldn't. My apologies if it did.

Who is in the home overnight while Mom works?

Our school district has an automated system for absences. It will only call the # listed and leave a message if no one answers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a bad feeling in my gut about this one. What a sweet, adorable girl.

May they find her QUICKLY.

I cannot blame mom even if she did not watch as she walked to meet up with other walkers. Many children even younger these days walk to school or to the bus stop. My son is this young girls age, he is now home schooled by me, but many schools do not even allow children in the building until a certain hour. The school itself in many cases leaves the children outside until the bell rings unless the weather is severe. At this point I feel nothing but deep sadness for what the mother must be going through.

As far as not distinguishing between walkers and bussers. In my sons school office prior to him becoming a home school kid. They were so out of touch, in larger schools they do have a teacher or two standing out, but as far as them differentiating between the two, other than if they check a roster, I think each child regardless of how they arrive at school is treated equal. I know when it came to my son, the school would not contact me right away if he was out. It was my job to contact them, if I forgot or got distracted and did not call him in, usually they would not call me until roughly eleven a.m. IMHO

In all fairness to the school, absences are an everyday occurrence and certainly not normally an "emergency" situation. Walking, driving or busing, kids miss school, and at least around here, we do get the automated call from the school about an hour after school starts and then I just send a note in the next day. I can't see how the school could be culpable in anyway for the delay.

Name: Jessica Ridgeway
Alias:
Hair Color: Blonde Eye Color: Blue
Skin Color: White Age: 10 years-old
Height: 4 feet 10 inches Weight: 80 pounds
Description: The child was last seen wearing blue jeans, a black puffy jacket with pink lining, purple eyeglasses, and black boots with pom-poms. The child has shoulder length hair.

Missing From: Westminster, CO
Missing Date: 10/05/2012 12:00 AM Mountain
Issued for: Colorado: Statewide
Contact: If you have information, please contact Westminster Police Department, 303-658-4360
Circumstances: Mother saw child leaving for school walking to friend's home. Jessica never arrived at her friends home or at the school. Any information please contact the Westminster Police Department at 303-658-4360.

http://www.missingkids.com/missingkids/servlet/AmberExternalFCServlet?act=retAmberCase&amberId=11031

Praying for Jessica to be found safe! :please:

Has anyone mapped RSO's in the area?

I'm sure in hindsight extra precautions could always be taken but I just don't feel it's fair to to question why she wasn't being watched on a 450 ft walk at this point.

It was simply a question, nothing more. Please don't make it out to be more than I intended. I simply wondered if she could see the childs walk from her home to the park. nothing more. In my neighborhood I usually only see parents waiting at the bus stop with those children who do not live in direct view of the bus stop. IOW, parent who can see a few hundred feet from their window usually watch from home versus waiting at the bus stop. My question was to determine information we do not yet know.....

Any question for a childs safety imo, is a fair question. I'd like to know their routine.

In all fairness to the school, absences are an everyday occurrence and certainly not normally an "emergency" situation. Walking, driving or busing, kids miss school, and at least around here, we do get the automated call from the school about an hour after school starts and then I just send a note in the next day. I can't see how the school could be culpable in anyway for the delay.

Maybe my questions are such because no one in my family has used the public grade school system. We haven't attended public until HS, so these things, which maybe more routine in smaller private schools. I don't know anything about the particular school Jessica attends or their procedures. Hopefully we'll find out more soon.

Someone stated Grandma is there at night.

Amber Alert issued after Westminster girl goes missing
10:30 PM, Oct 5, 2012 MDT

WESTMINSTER - An Amber Alert has been issued for a missing Westminster girl who was last seen walking to school at 8:30 a.m. Friday.

Police say 10-year-old Jessica Ridgeway normally meets a friend at a park before heading to school. But she never made it to that park or to Witt Elementary after she left her home, near 107th Avenue and Moore Street.

http://www.9news.com/rss/article/29...ool?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Good picture at link.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member