CO - Jessica Ridgeway, 10, Westminster, 5 Oct 2012 - #16

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there another child dismemberment case anywhere else in the country that is still unsolved? I'm sure y'all thought of this already

I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned Laura Smither, kidnapped while jogging during the day in a suburban area (Friendswood, Texas), was found beheaded near a drainage ditch in Pasadena, Texas. Her father founded the Laura Recovery Center. He believes that the person responsible was a construction worker in the area, but that person was never officially a suspect. That was in 1997.

Well-I happen to think they have the guy who killed her, if he is still in prison for sexual assault. I know they apparently can't prove it.
Was that a different guy from the one who was incarcerated at the time she disappeared? (in the one article I linked)
"In the years before her death, she had filed three requests for restraining orders against a man who was in jail at the time of Johler’s disappearance."
http://blogs.denverpost.com/coldcases/2011/06/05/womans-dismembered-body/2284/2/

When Isabel Celis disappeared the week prior there were several attempts to lure children into vehicles plus a breakin 10 miles away with the perp gaining entry to where 3 little girls were & family. Then afterward there were quite a few more reports near the schools of attempts. When Elizabeth & Lyric disappeared there were attempted abductions in their town & surrounding areas. Damn white vans & white cars...

They come out of the woodwork...

jmo

Well-I happen to think they have the guy who killed her, if he is still in prison for sexual assault. I know they apparently can't prove it.

I think that's it.
They did not have enough physical evidence to convict him of murder, but did get him convicted for sexual assault.

I almost dislike posting this but they did have a talk which I suspected.

Police: Definitive link between between May abduction try and murder of Jessica Ridgeway

Read more: Police: Definitive link between between May abduction try and murder of Jessica Ridgeway - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/breakingn...en-may-abduction-try?source=rss#ixzz2A5QWTyjf
Also at this link:

"He would not talk about forensic elements of the case, including the results of tests of DNA samples. Nor would he discuss anything about Jessica's backpack, which was discovered in the Superior neighborhood of Rock Creek three days after she disappeared.

He did say what was described as hair by a person walking in a field about a mile from where Jessica's remains were found in Pattridge Park had been collected.

"We are asking people to understand that some of this needs to be withheld," Materasso said."

BBM- so I'm betting most of Fox's info is correct, but LE either isn't happy it was released, or is denying accuracy to throw the perp off.

A scrolling banner on Nancy Grace just said that there was unknown male DNA in Jessica's backpack that they linked on an unsolved case. So, now we know that this guy is the same one who tried to kidnap the woman at the lake. Heaven only knows how many times he has tried this and failed before he got ahold of Jessica.

I would like to see statistics about whether these things are really on the rise here near Denver right now. I know that our awareness is way up, and things are being reported that aren't usually, and unsuccessful attempts are taking on a heightened meaning. But... attempts usually are unsuccessful, so that wouldn't be anything out of the ordinary. We read these things and often just skim past them, unless they are close to home, or are repeated, or are successful. Just curious....

One part of the report said a grocery store receipt for garbage bags was found in Pattridge Park Open Space in Arvada, near where Jessica's body was found Oct. 10. Materasso said no receipts were found in that area or at Ketner Lake Open Space, near Jessica's Westminster home. He said employees at a King Soopers store have been interviewed, but "what led us to talk to them was related to a different tip."

Read more: Police: Definitive link between between May abduction try and murder of Jessica Ridgeway - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/breakingn...tween-between-may-abduction-try#ixzz2A5WXbo12
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse

so they were reviewing tapes and talking to employees from KS but due to another tip....

In regards to the thought laid out that there may have been a third man in the white car from the attempted abduction video...

IF that were the case, I could see a third man riding in the back to make sure they have full control of the victim. Restraint from one man may be tougher in a scenerio of the victim riding in the back seat either alone or with the front seat passenger with victim.

So one man in the backseat, restraining, and passenger either restraining, or watching and ready to pounce, for the protection of the driver. Seems that priority number one would be getting victim in the car, priority 2 would be keeping victim from escaping or causing an accident.

That would be much more easy with a third man in the back. Also to people seeing the car driving down the road, it would look way less suspicious, then just the driver in the front.

So that brings us to the idea that a third man equals a group, or gang. A group of 3... 3 lines etched on the cross.

What kind of "Gang" does this type of thing, abductions? Murders? Dismemberment? No direct type of Victim? Mexican Cartels.... MS13 types...

Many different descriptions of attackers... yet they are all? Light skinned? How many have been thought to be white?

so now we have a guy that walks around public places in broad daylight and tries to abduct women jogging and also is out during morning rush hour/when kids are walking to school and abducts a child..

He obviously did not "stick out" that much in the community. He fits right in until it is too late and that is what scares me the most hearing about how these are now connected.

DU religious studies professor says markings on cross in Jessica Ridgeway case may be significant

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/new...ant?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Not much more than we have discussed here...

I am still scrolling through all of the discussions about the cross. The first thing that popped into my mind when I saw the shape on the back was that it looked like the neo nazi (I refuse to capitalize that word) "SS". The Anti Defamation League has a great website that shows all sorts of hate-group symbols, numbers and assorted things. Not sure how that would possibly work if the perp is indeed Hispanic and not "light-skinned" caucasian... but then again, stranger things have happened when it comes to supremacist morons.

http://www.adl.org/mobilehatesymbols/symbol-results-1.html

Westminster police held a meeting with television news directors Monday afternoon to ask them to use more discretion about the details being reported about the case.

On Sunday night, Fox 31 reported elements of the case, attributed to unnamed sources, that Materasso told The Denver Post contained "bad information."

"We are confident in the accuracy of our story and stand by it 100 percent," Fox 31's Vice President of News Ed Kosowski said.

Read more: Police: Definitive link between between May abduction try and murder of Jessica Ridgeway - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/breakingn...tween-between-may-abduction-try#ixzz2A5XGwhKQ
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse

I just remembered something else the Forensic Psychologist said on JVM.
I found this VERY interesting...
they were discussing the jogger incident. JVM asked him what the use of chloroform indicates, if anything.
The FP replied that it shows the perp is choosing to use a drug or force, rather than intelligence or social skills to get control of the victim. Interesting... is it just "easier" or does the perp doubt his intelligence or social skill level?
I'm not sure I worded this correctly but hopefully you get the gist of what he was saying.

A slightly out-of-place "JMO" regarding the reliability of the print media (it came up a fair bit overnight)---

I worked in a major metropolitan newspaper for seven years, including a couple of years in the fact check/research library. Not only was there a full-time staff of many degree'd research librarians who were constantly pulling data from both hard-copy and digital sources (ones you have to pay for, not google) to assist the reporters/writers, the emphasis at that particular paper on checking and checking and re-checking every verifiable fact was phenomenal. When a correction had to be run, it was like a mark of shame.

Now, that was 10+ years ago and the print media has of course been massively impacted by the internet. But that particular workplace of mine had the highest level of integrity and work ethic of anywhere I've ever worked. ESPECIALLY when a child had been harmed. I assume that today's large newspapers, especially those that still have a print edition, still function somewhat on that model. It's not just one person ticking away at a computer, blog-style, and writing whatever sounds good at the moment--there is a team of editors and researchers behind a big story like Sunday's Denver Post writeup.

Because of my experience, I do give more credence to large news organizations with a print edition than I do bloggers/facebook/cable and local news *TV shows* (who just care about ratings) etc, but they all have quite a challenge with this case--not a lot of hard fact to go on, very few press conferences by LE, and a whole lot of rumor and speculation.

That used to be true, yes, but times have changed. The Denver Post of five years ago was a far better paper than what they're producing today--probably because they had competition. Since the Rocky Mountain News closed, the Post is the only game in town--and yet the paper is smaller, more biased and less factual. I doubt I will renew my subscription when it comes due because I've been so disgusted with their coverage, opinion articles masquerading as news and last of fact-checking in the past year.

There are at least two glaring errors in the Post's Sunday piece about Jessica:

1. Westminster does not have an email listserve or anything similar. The man who found the backpack posted it to a Superior listserve. (The screenshot of the message also clearly shows "Superior" in the email used for the distribution list.)

2. The Post's story about the 8-year-old boy's attempted abduction in the Westcliff neighborhood inaccurately stated that
The Jamesons' backyard abuts a trail and a narrow green space next to a creek that leads to Ketner Lake about a mile away.
http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_21820103/man-choked-8-year-old-boy-near-ketner#ixzz2A5Usq4gh
The creek —*Big Dry Creek —*leads to Standley Lake, not Ketner. This can easily be verified on google maps if one isn't familiar with the area. Also, the incident is closer to 2 miles away from Ketner than then one mile the reported stated.

There are several other incidents in which Post reporters and editors have failed to report or fact-check the news they are reporting. I'm not sure why they continue to report inaccurate information about the backpack email, especially when other news outlets continue to print accurate information.

The Post is more accurate than some of the TV news outlets, but it has a long way to go.

Westminster police held a meeting with television news directors Monday afternoon to ask them to use more discretion about the details being reported about the case.

On Sunday night, Fox 31 reported elements of the case, attributed to unnamed sources, that Materasso told The Denver Post contained "bad information."

"We are confident in the accuracy of our story and stand by it 100 percent," Fox 31's Vice President of News Ed Kosowski said.

Read more: Police: Definitive link between between May abduction try and murder of Jessica Ridgeway - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/breakingn...tween-between-may-abduction-try#ixzz2A5XGwhKQ

Ugh. Even if it's 1000% correct how does that justify them screwing up LE?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Relentless85