CO - Jessica Ridgeway, 10, Westminster, 5 Oct 2012 - #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank goodness for this tweet! I didn't see this one out there. Thanks Nurse. Tough to remain neutral because we all feel certain this child was abducted. I pray Jessica is located today!

P.S. It'a almost like LE is speaking out of both sides of the mouth. These live press conferences are not putting across this idea that she was definitely abducted. They have been very indecisive in public about that. I wish they would just come out and say, "We have an abduction here. Let's find who did this!"

ITA. I've been having to draw alot from experience with past cases and doing alot of reading between the lines and translating LE speak in this case. That leaves alot of room for speculation on my part. Not dissing LE at all, this is what they do.

If a known abductor or a family friend took Jessica, they would be a poi by LEs standards, yes? I think whoever made that comment was talking in circles. Lol

LE won't say they have a person of interest unless they have a definite individual in mind -- so even if they're positive somebody in the neighborhood took her, but they don't know which neighbor, they don't have a POI. And it wouldn't be the first time LE has said that right up to when they make an arrest.

(eta: I had some other stuff here, but that last tweet about abduction makes it irrelevant, so I took it out.)

Anyone interested in coming downstairs for a bit to cover the Arvada/Westminster feed?

I am just thinking about the placement of the backpack this morning...

According to the witness who saw it it was put there most likely between 6pm and 1am saturday going into sunday.

That means whomever put it there placed it between 34-41 hours after she was last seen. That means the perp had to still be in the area during that time. Someone local and someone who had reason to be in that Westminster neighborhood that morning at the exact time she left her house to walk to the park.

just :moo: at this point

(sorry if my math is off: coffee and all may not have kicked in yet)

People differ, I guess.

I think I would tend towards paranoia: what if I said something that enraged the perp and triggered him or her to take it out on my hypothetical child? Or what if I said something that messed up LE efforts to find my child?

I am also a strategic thinker. Right now, this story is all over the national media. No need for me to feed the sharks. My appearing in the media would likely only work well once, so I'd want to save my first appearance for the awful possibility that at some point in the future my child still needed media attention.

My mama taught me to hope for the best and plan for the worst. She never steered me wrong.

I am hours behind but I couldn't pass this up. I have always really appreciated your posts but perhaps never more than this one. I felt so bad for this mother last night and I found myself getting so frustrated with the way she was being questioned and judged but I didn't trust myself to try and say anything as insightful or perfect as you just did. Clicking thanks simply wasn't enough!

I would say LE has to consider every possibility. Let's not forget that they have much more information than we do. I'm sure they have talked to her friends and teachers....and gone over every small bit of information.
I don't believe Jessica ran away either...but they have to consider that perhaps she planned to run away and then met with foul play. Maybe she had been in an argument earlier with her mom over going to a friend's house...or going to a movie. We just don't know all the facts at this point and LE is holding a lot close to the vest in this case, as they often do.
What leads me to question all this is the fact that LE has mentioned she may not be wearing the clothes she left home in. Perhaps she carried extra clothes in that backpack, which might indicate a run-away situation at first glance. I know some have speculated about this already. I'm sure every possibility must be considered.....

Another possibility that I'm sure has to be considered is that somebody had been grooming her and induced her to run away, perhaps by offering to take her to a movie or promising to take her to her father, or something like that.

Originally Posted by scorekeeper
my point exactly....they are talking in circles/squares or whatever

No POI
No Family members
No Random adbuctor

that leaves

Known abductor
family friends, etc...

If a known abductor or a family friend took Jessica, they would be a poi by LEs standards, yes? I think whoever made that comment was talking in circles. Lol

Cherie, LOL, I re-read my post and boy I have to agree with you!! :floorlaugh:

What I meant to say, they have said no POI (family/random abductor), so with ruling them out as a possible POI, that leaves a person that is known to police to be an abductor (RSO) or friends of family members. Even though the last 2 aren't mentioned as not being POIs, the investigation may be centered on them.

I guess I felt LE was ruling out those that could be POIs and with not mentioning the other 2, that would make someone in those groups a possible POI (even though not yet named by LE).

Hopefully, this makes more sense since I have had a little sleep....if not, then write me off as crazy!!

Do we know if Jessica had any social media? Facebook, Twitter? She's awfully young...but sometimes 5th graders will sneak and get a FB or Twitter account.

I am extremely emotionally involved in another case where the mom isn't pleading for her daughter, and it makes it hard to be objective about that subject. However, I remind myself that in the other case, there are many many things pointing to the mom's involvement in her daughters disappearance. So far, I'm not seeing any of that here, other than the very short distance/timeframe for Jessica's disappearance.

Anyone interested in coming downstairs for a bit to cover the Arvada/Westminster feed?

I'm still not understanding what downstairs is...a scanner feed? If so, I sure can't find anything. Would someone please lead me please? :)

I'm still not understanding what downstairs is...a scanner feed? If so, I sure can't find anything. Would someone please lead me please? :)

I found the scanner threads by searching for scanner

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=377"]Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

It's a horrible pandemic, it just keeps spreading.
icon9.gif

It seems like that, because in the US we are very very focused on child snatchers, and we as a specific group are here at WS because we are even more focused than the public in general.

Child abductions by strangers haven't changed in rate since statistics have been kept, about 1940.

It's not more common than it used to be - we're just much more able to be aware due to much greater media access.

Each time it happens it's horrific - but although it appears it's spreading it actually isn't.

You are upstairs ( Main thread)... The basement is the scanner room or PL( parking lot)You have to be a member signed in to view. But what is heard in the scanner room stays in the scanner room, (or downstairs)

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8432241&posted=1#post8432241

Bumping this up. The above link will take you to the scanner thread in The Parking Lot forum, aka The downstairs/basement.

Remember, what is heard in the scanner thread stays in the scanner thread.

I just wanted to thank each and every one of you for being on this thread and working so hard for Jessica. I have been catching up and reading along here....but I have this awful churning in my stomach about this case...it is a mothers worst nightmare, and for some reason it is making it very hard for me to jump in and sleuth on.
I am so worried about how this is going to turn out...I know you are too. But, rather then thank each post, I wanted to send out a thank you post for all you do and for being so diligent in trying to help... I appreciate you!!

Child's biggest danger? Not necessarily a stranger

http://www.marionstar.com/article/2...tranger?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|Frontpage|p

I saw this article in our local paper and thought it was interesting (aside from the spelling errors.) Stranger abductions are rare. I know that it has been hard for me to 'let out the rope' for my children, especially since following WS! :what:

Just thought this was a good place to insert this article.

:please: for Jessica and all of our missing out there.

jmo

Good morning scorekeeper and fellow sleuths! I am so glad to see the tweets in Spanish too. I, like all of you, am praying for Jessica to be found safe and sound.

This tweet basically says ..........

More than 72 hours has passed since Jessica Ridgeway 10 years old is missing from her 3 wards. (CUADRA means Stable, Hall or Ward, so I'm 'assuming' that this refers to Jessica's mom, aunt and grandmother?)

OT Great seeing you all here for Jessica. I took a break from WS after following Micky Shunick's case. :(

wm

:welcome: Waltzingmatilda!

Do we know if Jessica had any social media? Facebook, Twitter? She's awfully young...but sometimes 5th graders will sneak and get a FB or Twitter account.

Another thought is Instagram. I have a 6th grader and neither she nor any of her friends have FB or Twitter, but they ALL have Instagram and are obsessed with it. It is extremely popular with the "tween" age group. It has the potential to get out-of-hand, so as a parent you have to stay on top of it if you decide to let your child have an account. Anyway, it is an app, so Jessica would have to have an iphone/ipad/ipod touch/etc in order to be able to use it. For those who don't know, Instagram is another form of social media, but it is photo-based. Here is some info on it and it's popularity with that demographic:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-57508430-93/how-instagram-became-the-social-network-for-tweens/

I mentioned this on another thread last night but my 12 year old has a Facebook and has since 5th grade. He isn't allowed online unsupervised and you wouldn't find the page via search but it is there. He mainly uses it for games we play together but his soccer team has a Facebook page maintained by his coach and some of us parents to update on games/practices.

Anyway, last weekend I received a friend request from a girl that I didn't recognize but it mentioned she was friends with my oldest son so I accepted. I got to thinking about it last night and asked my son who she was and he informed he texted with this girl for 3 weeks believing she was 18 (her page says as much and her pics would certainly make her appear so) until he helped coach his brother's game last week and realized there she was... dressed and acting much more like the 13 year old girl she really is, alongside her teammates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thundercoyote