CO - Jessica Ridgeway, 10, Westminster, 5 Oct 2012 - #20

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Now I'm confused - is the same dad with shady background?? If so, what a recovery.

snipped by me. Yup, that is why I myself was in a little bit of shock! It kind of made me go "what????" when was looking at his house. (Could be entirely possible they were showing the wrong house, but it was not like there were other houses around, it was basically on its own large property). I was finding it hard to associate "low level repeat criminal offender" with the house they were showing.

Of course news isn't always accurate, and KDVR seems to be a bit more 'liberal' with its reporting than other stations around here (pretty sure that is where I saw it).

"Austin Sigg’s father, 48-year-old Robert Sigg, has a long criminal history dating back decades. He now lives in a sprawling Parker mansion on a hilltop overlooking the city. We have learned he is in Mexico on business. He is the owner of Performance One, a media company in Centennial. Robert Sigg’s trouble with the law includes a federal conviction for bank fraud in 2004. He was also arrested for first degree burglary and assault in Jefferson County. The rap sheet goes on: Driving under the influence in Evans, selling and distributing dangerous drugs in Weld county, as well as assault and battery in Aurora. Denver police arrested him for obstructing, and resisting arrest and disturbing the peace. Robert Sigg was charged as an habitual traffic offender in Thornton. Parker police arrested him for domestic violence and driving under the influence of drugs. We have also confirmed, Robert Sigg and Austin’s mother, Mindy Sigg divorced in 2001. Robert Sigg’s common law wife filed restraining orders against him in 2001 and 2003 for domestic violence."

http://kdvr.com/2012/10/24/ridgeway-murder-suspect-austin-siggs-father-no-stranger-to-police/

Legal questions here.....

Uh oh....It sure sounds like this is going to be fought tooth and nail. It sounds like he initially waived his right to an attorney at first and probably answered a lot of questions. I worry that now since he has legal reps, will the attorneys be able to have all his statements thrown out, and then what about all that was found based on his statements?

I know they have much more evidence now from the house, but if they are successful in getting all his statements thrown out, will that mean that all the evidence that has been uncovered at his home also be thrown out?

I don't know how all this works, but it seems I have heard about evidence being thrown out that was based on something that was declared inelgible because of the initial way it was obtained. Just wondering if anybody knows about this sort of thing.

I am really worried about this because of his age when he had to make that deciision about whether he would answer anything.[/quote]

BBM - I sure hope no evidence gets thrown out. I think that it's going to be a plus that AS's mother was present when LE questioned and arrested him.

DA: DNA of Austin Sigg, suspect in Jessica Ridgeway murder, found on backpack

Prosecutors said Thursday their case is bolstered by the teen's confession and by the fact his DNA matches material found on Jessica's backpack.

There was high security in the courtroom, with 14 law enforcement officers guarding the suspect. Sigg's younger brother collapsed against his mother in tears as his heavily shackled brother was led into a courtroom.

http://www.denverpost.com/breakingn...igg-suspect-jessica-ridgeway-murder-due-court

WHY was his little brother in the courtroom? That's just appalling to me...wow

Yes, why??? My heart breaks for him and for the grandparents who's photo was shown on the link.

You know this is probably all just interesting as heck to Sigg, right up his alley and now he's living it real life.

Question:
How did he get a Mohawk? He did not have one in yesterday's mugshot.

Jefferson County District Attorney: Overwhelming evidence against Austin Reed Sigg - suspect in the Jessica Ridgeway case in Westminster

9:05 AM, Oct 25, 2012

Excerpt: "Multiple members of Jessica's family appeared in court wearing Jessica's favorite color - purple. Sigg's family was also present in the courtroom Thursday. As soon as Sigg was brought into the courtroom - sporting a goatee and a mohawk - one of his family members started to sob.

This was Sigg's first appearance in court. His public defenders kept referring to him as a "child" during the court proceedings. The judge did not read Sigg his charges, but he did explain his rights. Sigg asked questions in regards to his legal rights, which the judge allowed Sigg's attorneys to explain to him."

Read more:
http://www.9news.com/rss/article/29...ect?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

In his mugshot, his hair was not styled into a mohawk. The fact that he apparently took the time to style his hair before court leads me to believe he may be enjoying the attention. Could be wrong, but that's how it struck me.

I understand that defense attorney's tell clients to dress nicely, etc for court appearances but a MOHAWK??? :what:

[/B]

I hope not, if he attends school and does well in class, I do not see how even a mental illness could be considered. If you go to school and perform well (which seems to be accurate), you know what you're doing and the consequence of that.
He knew exactly what he was doing.

of course my opinion

Doing well in school would suggest that he is bright, but even bright children can have a mental illness. I suspect that Austin perceived himself as entitled, and that, given his father's complete disregard for the law, Austin too thought that he could get away with whatever he wanted to do ... just like his father.

Did he work? How did he pay for knife collection and video games? I guess mom and dad. Question for everyone: I'm not sure what qualifies as a knife collection...three, four, twenty? Is this normal behavior for a young man that age? Are they expensive? Wouldn't mom or dad question where money was going or that son was amassing a knife collection? Also....dumb question maybe, does internet *advertiser censored* require a credit card or can you just access it for free?

I don't think boys collecting knives or swords is necessarily a red flag. My boys are very docile and not into anything weird, but like many boys, they think knives and swords are cool, and have a few of them (ironically, a few purchased in Colorado). From Lord of the Rings to whittling skinny branches into walking sticks, sharp things have a lot of uses.

I'm sure there are expensive knives, but nothing we have cost more than $15 or so.

It appears that the father is a wheeler-dealer type... maybe a narcissist. To have such a messy legal past - from selling drugs to mortgage schemes to drunk driving convictions - and still somehow manage to land in a house like the one he lives in and yet not have custody of his troubled son... It just seems like a set of circumstances that probably added up to a difficult parenting scenario for the mother. She was probably doing the best she knew how with him, given the circumstances.

His father has an extensive criminal history ... including viiolence, theft.

Then how the heck is he living in a gated home in Parker???? Crime must pay for him....

Sorry.....still learning how to link. It's on KDVR. Reporter said a family member had verified he had been treated for a *advertiser censored* addiction at 15. And also that family had left country to Virgin Islands after Ketner attempt. If MODS want to remove my post until it can be verified and linked, that's fine. I'll learn how someday....
Here is a link to that story:
Senior investigative reporter Josh Bernstein confirmed that the teenager had been treated for an addiction to *advertiser censored*.

Bernstein reports family members say he was just 15 years old and his addiction was so strong that it required counseling.
http://kdvr.com/2012/10/24/exclusiv...-treated-for-*advertiser censored*-addiction/

In most high-profile cases, the offers of legal help come in as soon as news of an arrest hits the media.

Would be against ethical rules here in Colorado:

Rule 7.3. Direct contact with Prospective Clients
(a) A lawyer shall not by in-person or live telephone contact solicit professional employment from a prospective client with whom the lawyer has no family or prior professional relationship when a significant motive for the lawyer's doing so is the lawyer's pecuniary gain.

http://www.mgovg.com/ethics/11advert.htm

(unless I guess they argue the are offering pro bono services without expecting any pecuniary gain in the future, which would be pretty hard to argue in a high profile case).

When John Mark Karr was arrested for JBR's murder, 36 lawyers offered to represent him. Where are all those lawyers now? They are all licensed to practice law in Colorado.

OT: My son - who is almost 10 - went to some friends' home to play a year or so ago. They are brothers, 9 and 11. I asked what they did, and he said that a neighbor boy - who was 15 - came over and wrestled with them in the basement. DS did not want to wrestle with the big boy so he wrestled with the younger brother. He said he didn't like the teenager. My red flag went off, and he hasn't gone back over there since. DH and I both wonder what interest would a teen have in playing with young boys?!? I didn't like it. At all.

Excellent parenting!

My son (14) is friendly with everyone, few years younger, older by a few years. They're neighborhood friends. A game of football in a large common area we have here. Sometimes they'll break into teams and play basketball in the culdesac. But I can assure you while my kid may "play" with a 17 year old .... Or a 10 year old its always in a large group setting. Never have I had a 10 yr old or a 17 yr old in my home nor has my kid been in theirs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some of the cases I recall of perps. using swords or similar to randomly kill people would be:

A case in (Washington state? or NW U.S.) where a man was returning home from work on a bike path and was decapitated.

Persons waiting at a bus stop were attacked by (teenagers?) using swords.

A boy riding a bicycle was ambushed and stabbed because a teenager wanted to know what it was like to kill someone.
----------------

OK, I don't have all of the cases at my fingertips, but they are all listed here at Websleuths.

I think you will find that a number of crimes have been committed by juveniles/adults wielding Samurai swords, and the like.

Yep. I just saw a news report on HLN a little while ago of a teen who held up a store using a sword.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Placebo