CO CO - Kayleah Wilson, 12, Greeley, 28 March 2010 - #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am slightly biased in this age range in terms of labeling a child a runaway. My best, best, best, most bestest friend Tina Marie Harmon took the bus home from school one day after school and was found raped, murdered, tied up, in a field a few miles from our school a few weeks later. This was in the early eighties. So I have a huge problem with LE if they are not doing a full court press/investigation to find this girl RIGHT NOW! I see they are out with 25 or so people and may have used dogs and didn't pick up a thing.. but WHAT dogs were they using? What types? What types of searches were they doing and where were they?

I can feel time ticking thru the clock here and think we may be too late. I do NOT want to find the body of another dead child because the situation did not MEET THE FREAKING CRITERION OF AN AMBER ALERT. I am sick to death of it.

If Kayleah walks out of the woods all ashamed and a runaway I will GLADLY eat my hat... but taking her personality and other things into account I think we will see a situation more along the lines of Somer Thompson. God freaking forbid. Seriously. I keep saying to my inner voice on Kayleah's case: you will be wrong... you will be wrong... she just ran away... but I keep having a very bad feeling.

And bottom line is that I think that ALL CHILDREN under the age of 18 need to have their cases equally evaluated in terms of possible abduction (if investigation lends that way) and that equal resources need to be brought in (dogs, dive teams, etc) AND FURTHERMORE if local LE agencies cannot afford this type of search they need to collaborate with search groups like TES and Laura Recovery center from the get go.

But hey.. I am just an open heart nurse. I don't know how these organizations collaborate. What I 'see' though gives me pause and makes me think that there are many areas that could benefit from a new highway of innerconnection. If they all look at the target of their work.. the missing child.. I think they could find a common road.

moo of course.

As always for Colorado I can't find hardly any info on this girl only two articles....

I live about 15 minutes from her and today is the first I've heard about this. I'm going back to read through the thread. So glad to see this thread since this is my neighborhood!

I am slightly biased in this age range in terms of labeling a child a runaway. My best, best, best, most bestest friend Tina Marie Harmon took the bus home from school one day after school and was found raped, murdered, tied up, in a field a few miles from our school a few weeks later. This was in the early eighties. So I have a huge problem with LE if they are not doing a full court press/investigation to find this girl RIGHT NOW! I see they are out with 25 or so people and may have used dogs and didn't pick up a thing.. but WHAT dogs were they using? What types? What types of searches were they doing and where were they?

I can feel time ticking thru the clock here and think we may be too late. I do NOT want to find the body of another dead child because the situation did not MEET THE FREAKING CRITERION OF AN AMBER ALERT. I am sick to death of it.

If Kayleah walks out of the woods all ashamed and a runaway I will GLADLY eat my hat... but taking her personality and other things into account I think we will see a situation more along the lines of Somer Thompson. God freaking forbid. Seriously. I keep saying to my inner voice on Kayleah's case: you will be wrong... you will be wrong... she just ran away... but I keep having a very bad feeling.

And bottom line is that I think that ALL CHILDREN under the age of 18 need to have their cases equally evaluated in terms of possible abduction (if investigation lends that way) and that equal resources need to be brought in (dogs, dive teams, etc) AND FURTHERMORE if local LE agencies cannot afford this type of search they need to collaborate with search groups like TES and Laura Recovery center from the get go.

But hey.. I am just an open heart nurse. I don't know how these organizations collaborate. What I 'see' though gives me pause and makes me think that there are many areas that could benefit from a new highway of innerconnection. If they all look at the target of their work.. the missing child.. I think they could find a common road.

moo of course.

I am so sorry about the loss of your friend. That is just terrible. Terrible.

Other than a house there are very few areas in Greeley where you could hide in the open as a runaway. The bird sanctuary, a few of the parks *maybe* but probably not, the college campus- but I think she looks to young to blend in there, possibly out on the platte river trail- but I doubt that area even- it would be too far away for food/snacks. Most of Greeley has been built up and there is very little open or wooded spaces unless you leave town & even then it is cornfields- or just open fields as of now since nothing is growing yet.

I do not believe she is a runaway. I think someone took her. It has been too long for a 12 year old to not have contacted anyone or for someone to have not squealed on her- especially since LE is seemingly finally starting to do a full court press on people.

Come home Kayleah, come home!

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/wire/sns-ap-us-missing-colorado-girl,0,5938909.story

By Associated Press
March 31, 2010 | 5:39 p.m.

GREELEY, Colo. (AP) — More than 20 police officers and FBI agents were searching Wednesday for a 12-year-old Greeley girl missing since Sunday, when she left home to go to a friend's birthday party.

Kayleah Wilson was headed to meet a friend in an area just across a busy highway from her home, but never made it to her destination, police said. Greeley is about 60 miles north of Denver.

This reminds me so much of Lindsey Baum. Pre-teen going missing while walking down the street in their own neighborhood. Everyone calls it a runaway case at first, even though it's definitely not. Then local LE realizes, "Oh $h!t, we're in trouble here..." and the FBI gets called in.

Hoping for more serious looks from everyone involved, especially the media. Even with the FBI involved (and they typically don't get involved for runaways), there still seems to be a level of concern less than what it should be.

Hoping for a positive resolution, and soon.

staticmap

http://maps.google.com/maps?z=5&q=GREELEY, Colo.&hl=en-US

Allrighty -- got through the thread.

Living close to here and knowing the area pretty well . . .

Where Kayleah lives is a decent area, but it gets shady quick east of 23rd Ave, which is where the mall is. Is it for sure she was walking to the mall? If so, I have no idea why she would have crossed Hwy 34. It's very busy and she could have easily walked east to 23rd ave and then south under the hwy to the mall.

I haven't read all the articles linked, will have to go back - did they say what route she was to be taking and exactly where she was going? There are tons and tons of businesses around this area. I think I saw she was going to an apt near the mall? That's just not a great area.

This reminds me so much of Lindsey Baum. Pre-teen going missing while walking down the street in their own neighborhood. Everyone calls it a runaway case at first, even though it's definitely not. Then local LE realizes, "Oh $h!t, we're in trouble here..." and the FBI gets called in.

Hoping for more serious looks from everyone involved, especially the media. Even with the FBI involved (and they typically don't get involved for runaways), there still seems to be a level of concern less than what it should be.

Hoping for a positive resolution, and soon.

Idaho - my thoughts exactly! The Lindsey case is so similar - calling her a runaway at first, in my opinion, hurt the case.

Hoping this little girl is found soon - after being part of the Aja thread - LE, FBI, and volunteers can't move quick enough. Wish they would stop dismissing these young girls who disappear - every minute counts. moo

There is a poster on 9News.com saying her son attends a nearby school and was told today by a teacher that at the end of Jan, someone in a van had tried to coax kids in. According to the poster, nobody ever notified parents of this.

If this is true, as a parent, that is infuriating! A few months back, my 5th grade daughter came home with a note from the school stating there had been a suspicious male engaging in suspicious activity outside the school, but not to worry, LE had been in contact with him. That was it! I called the school board and they had no idea about it, so I called LE and was told there was no information available at this time. Do they really think it's acceptable to say "suspicious male/suspicious activity" and nothing further?

We all need to be aware of eachothers children and the goings on in our neighborhoods, but we CANNOT be left in the dark!

Police using dogs found nothing in a search along the highway, Greeley Police Sgt. Joe Tymkowych said. Investigators have also conducted interviews with friends, family and acquaintances and have found nothing to indicate that she ran away.
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5iRBeBY_3zXqMXZY6vRK_LS8NjXygD9EPULVO1

just my opinion... but use the dogs from the aparment OUTWARD..... not just on the highway. She obviously walked from her apartment somewhere if we are to believe family witness statements. Perhaps she never MADE it as far as the highway! Have they canvassed the apartment building and all other immediate dwelling locations?

It seems like there are several sexual offenders in Greeley, some live near where Kayleah was last seen.

If you go to this website:

http://www.familywatchdog.us/

Then type in the following:

Street: 2800 28th street
City: Greeley
State: Co

If I understand correctly, this map is of the area where she was last seen. I only saw one Sex offender in the area; however, there is a woman, that on the map is listed as other offender and when I googled her name, she is listed as sexual assault of a child.

http://www.greeleypd.com/sexoffenders/sexo/all_listing.asp

Her initials are Last name D, first name T, middle initial D.

Does anyone know how familywatchdog.us works? Could there be an error or is there some other reason she would be listed as other? Could there be others in the area not on the map?

Does anyone know if sex predators and people on probation were questioned and if their homes were checked?

I want to describe Greeley, so everyone can get a feel for the area.

Greeley is in Northern Colorado, about 90 minutes to Denver.

It is known as a farm town, small community.

There is a pretty big college campus located in the center of town (University of Northern Colorado- UNC).

It is on the plains, not much "terrain".

We had a snow storm Friday, but weather since then has been pretty decent. Tuesday it was in the 80's.

ETA: Greeley has STREETS and AVENUES. There can be a 19th STREET and a 19th AVENUE and they are totally different. One runs North and South, the other East and West.

There is a poster on 9News.com saying her son attends a nearby school and was told today by a teacher that at the end of Jan, someone in a van had tried to coax kids in. According to the poster, nobody ever notified parents of this.

If this is true, as a parent, that is infuriating! A few months back, my 5th grade daughter came home with a note from the school stating there had been a suspicious male engaging in suspicious activity outside the school, but not to worry, LE had been in contact with him. That was it! I called the school board and they had no idea about it, so I called LE and was told there was no information available at this time. Do they really think it's acceptable to say "suspicious male/suspicious activity" and nothing further?

We all need to be aware of eachothers children and the goings on in our neighborhoods, but we CANNOT be left in the dark!

Yellow do you have the 9 news story you are refering too...TIA

ETA: nevermind found it

It seems like there are several sexual offenders in Greeley, some live near where Kayleah was last seen.

If you go to this website:

http://www.familywatchdog.us/

Then type in the following:

Street: 2800 28th street
City: Greeley
State: Co

If I understand correctly, this map is of the area where she was last seen. I only saw one Sex offender in the area; however, there is a woman, that on the map is listed as other offender and when I googled her name, she is listed as sexual assault of a child.

http://www.greeleypd.com/sexoffenders/sexo/all_listing.asp

Her initials are Last name D, first name T, middle initial D.

Does anyone know how familywatchdog.us works? Could there be an error or is there some other reason she would be listed as other? Could there be others in the area not on the map?

Does anyone know if sex predators and people on probation were questioned and if their homes were checked?

When I searched it yesterday, these were my results (posts 36 and 37 of this thread):

From Family Watchdog, it appears there are 5 within a mile. One has a sexual assault on a child conviction. 38 within 2 miles, and 130 within 5 miles.

Four additional RSO's within the 2 mile radius with offenses against children.

But *most* of the listed RSO's in this area have "No conviction information provided." And many of them have no photo. Very interesting.

ETA: After you search the address, if you click on "list" near the top, it will give you a list of offenders with mileage away from the address, instead of just the map.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member